Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utilities: what should I expect to pay?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Greetings, all. My wife and I recently relocated from the US and are going to lease a home in Wicklow Town. It is a fairly spacious 4 bedroom, but there are only 2 adults and one infant in our family (presently). Insulation and windows seem good, heating is central/oil I believe.

What should I expect to pay monthly for water, garbage/recycling collection, electricity, and heating costs?

Just curious, as my most recent benchmark from the US doesn't seem a good measure.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

You may find this useful:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081209075728AAF75wS

For what it's worth, that is Dublin specific and you may need to ask with someone local about your bin charges as they vary by region. I also think the Gas estimates they give are a little low.

To heat my own 70m2 house (smaller than yours I am sure) it cost me in the region of €180-€240 bi-monthly in winter (this was a cold, cold winter). In summer, nothing really.

ESB of circa €100 bi-monthly sounds about right, just be careful using this to heat water, that can rack the bill up. There are alternative providers of electricity now so you may get it cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

For myself and my partner in a 4 bed in North county dublin...

Bins - Black bin, an 8eur tag every fortnight you buy locally, sometimes every 4 weeks (bin is collected every second wk), nothing for the green and brown bin collection. 110eur (I think) charge for the bins to Fingal county council for the year. You'll have a different county council, check their website - www.wicklow.ie - for more info on that.

Gas heating - at the height of winter, 200eur for 2 months. In summer, went down to 38eur for 2 months. Averages about 90-110eur bi-monthly, I'd say.

Nothing for water. Yet.

Electricity is about 80-100eur bi monthly, drops to maybe 60eur bi-monthly in summer. Buy energy saver bulbs where possible if you have lamps, etc they help a lot. They're available in most supermarkets.

Bear in mind that you may have to pay deposits to the ESB and Bord Gais, if you are opening a new account for yourselves. You haven't said what way your landlord has set that up.

Shop around for providers. There's competition out there at the moment and some good prices to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Thanks, all. This is very helpful, and not far off the estimates I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

also 160 quid a year for a tv licence.

and monthly TV if getting sky or UPC, phone and broadband also.

see upc.ie, you can get phone, tv and broadband all in one package.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Typical bills that people have: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055786505

There are no local taxes or property taxes (unless your lease is over about €20,000 per year).

• Advertisement
Advertisement