Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SOUTH AFRICA V URUGUAY (GRP A) ITV/RTE

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LOL @ Giles going on about contact. If someone had gone down after he clipped them like that in a game he'd have stood on his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    tbh the more I watch the replays, especially in real time where you properly see the momentum, it actually looked like it would have been hard to stay up.

I couldn't disagree more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my mistake he didnt dive outside the box there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Looking at the replay there I think it's a peno, contact is contact and it was enough to bring him down, he did make a meal of it though. Unfortunately for SA if its a foul here its a red.
    Right decision for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

At least that decision wasn't the decisive factor, they were looking like going out regardless. Thought SA actually passed better and kept possession better when they lost the man. Obviously some of this was down to Uruguay holding back, but SA finally stopped trying stupid wasteful passes and losing possession over and over again.

Essien wrote: »
    Looking at the replay there I think it's a peno, contact is contact and it was enough to bring him down, he did make a meal of it though. Unfortunately for SA if its a foul here its a red.
    Right decision for me.

Contact = automatic peno is a symptom of the way the game is played now (not in a good way). A little bit of contact in a contact sport should not be an instant peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Contact = automatic peno is a symptom of the way the game is played now (not in a good way). A little bit of contact in a contact sport should not be an instant peno.

The main factor though is if you go for the ball you HAVE to win it. You can have as much contact as you want as long as you win the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Scien wrote: »
    Anyone else read that in a Nelson Mandela voice?

With a hint of Morgan Freeman thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I always thought the penalty AND a red was harsh. That's a double punishment for one offence. How many games have people seen ruined because a team go a goal down and drop to 10 men all at the same time.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    my mistake he didnt dive outside the box there

The one that wasn't given?

That was cclearly a dive as well - the contact didn't bring him down, it took his brain a moment to realise this and then he dived.

Assuming we are talking about the same thing that was just on RTE?
    At least that decision wasn't the decisive factor, they were looking like going out regardless. Thought SA actually passed better and kept possession better when they lost the man. Obviously some of this was down to Uruguay holding back, but SA finally stopped trying stupid wasteful passes and losing possession over and over again.

No it wasn't decisive.

Ab-sol-utely.

I know it would make things alot more complicated for refs but I wish we could have the refs decide whether or not the contact was sufficient or decisive in him falling down.

The main factor though is if you go for the ball you HAVE to win it. You can have as much contact as you want as long as you win the ball.

Im not denying thats the way the game is, but I dont agree with it.

He could and should have rode that contact. I can honestly hold my hand up and say I've never dived (outside of a bit of theatrical messing in friendly 5 a side for laughs :D) and I've taken plenty of contact. It honestly never occurred to me to go down unless I couldnt stay up. That wouldnt change just because I was getting paid all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Better team won and doubt SA would be at the WC if they werent hosting it as they seemed a pretty poor team to me.

Possible negative is that the South Africans might throw in the towel making things easy for France in their last match.:(

Cmon the Mexi-cans !!!

Im not denying thats the way the game is, but I dont agree with it.

He could and should have rode that contact. I can honestly hold my hand up and say I've never dived (outside of a bit of theatrical messing in friendly 5 a side for laughs :D) and I've taken plenty of contact. It honestly never occurred to me to go down unless I couldnt stay up. That wouldnt change just because I was getting paid all of a sudden.

I know I am not a professional or anything but it never enters my head when I am being challenged - riding the tackle or recovering before the tackler are the only things on my mind.

noodler wrote: »
    I know I am not a professional or anything but it never enters my head when I am being challenged - riding the tackle or recovering before the tackler are the only things on my mind.

I would hazard a guess that 95%+ of Irish people are the same.

There's no doubt there's a mindset with some people to go down easy. Unfortunately its a mindset which is far more prevalent at the top level of the game than it should be. Who knows, perhaps this shows that its those who are ruthless and willing to do anything, regardless how unsavoury, who are the ones who make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Said it before the tournament started South Africa and New Zealand the two weakest teams in the Cup. Come on Mexico.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

I always thought the penalty AND a red was harsh. That's a double punishment for one offence. How many games have people seen ruined because a team go a goal down and drop to 10 men all at the same time.

but theress a chance youd could miss the peno so there has to be some severe punishment to stop people hacking people down in front of goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Surprised no one has commented on the goalkeeper's fairly laughable foot first attempt at getting the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

but theress a chance youd could miss the peno so there has to be some severe punishment to stop people hacking people down in front of goal

Yeah, but that's in the attacking team's hands. They don't get a goal, they get a goal-scoring chance. It's up to THEM to take it.

Anyway, as I said, a yellow would have done the trick. As it stands, the keeper's world cup is more than likely over.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement