Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q-Con Super SF4 pre-seeding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

That's leaving out two of the best competitors though, who will presumably be at Q-Con.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The rankings are basically the same. Super hasnt made much of a difference really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

10 new characters, and a ton of new ultras, buffs and nerfs, fair difference in my opinion.

We did decided to reset seeding for super, with it being a new game and all.
    I turned up, played the games I was given, got top 12 and in the "seeding list" and yet, I check today and I'm being bumped out for people who didnt even show up to the tournament.

You can surely see why I don't think that's fair.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

10 new characters, and a ton of new ultras, buffs and nerfs, fair difference in my opinion.

I turned up, played the games I was given, got top 12 and in the "seeding list" and yet, I check today and I'm being bumped out for people who didnt even show up to the tournament.

No offence mate but it'd be madness to give you a place over newtype.

Or me for that matter, and I have placed top 8 in every Inferno and Ds since lanparty.

Kneecaps all respect to you but if you think you deserve a place over any of the 16 people I named, you are absolutely lacking sense. That's all I have to say over my selection.

A lot of players got through groups at the last Inferno because of no seeding (including you imo) that wouldn't have otherwise, due to a few groups with good players packed in. I don't mean this with any offense to you, nor do I mean that I would've got through my group (if another player had gotten through I think it would've been blag), but you're using the negative effect we saw from not seeding as a reason to not seed further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

yeah I mean personally I know I'm a lot better a player then I'm able to show at tournies so far and I ended up on that list by playing pretty damn badly, no where near my best. I just had an easy group. I still even lost matches I should have won.

I played terrible.

I know there's people on that list I'm better then and would beat consistently, I know there's people on that lists I'd go toe to to with and have close games with. And I also know for a fact that most would rape me.

But imo due to my tourney performance I know I don't deserve to be up on that seeding list just because I got an easy group.

I wanna see myself on that list after I've played my best in a tourney and given people good solid fights that were hard fought. I don't wanna be considered top 16 till I've proved it. And I've done far from prove it.

And in the end its just a stupid list man , do you really think your a better player the lads put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

I came 7th place in the Super Cloudpaul's Jesus Yard tournament but I sure as hell wouldn't expect to put myself in the top 16 in Ireland! ;)

@ Dreddy: At this point I'd place Hound slightly above Simon too. Hounds wake up game is a thing of beauty.

Also, I think leaving Sagat06/8 off the list is a mistake, he was unlucky with groups at the last tournament but in terms of players I'd "fear" coming up against in a tournament he is definitely up there with the top gang.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I placed joint 9th at Inferno 9 but have absolutely no point of contention regarding my omission from the list.

FWIW, my own personal opinion is that it's SSF4 and the seedings should be besed on offical SSF4 tournaments held in Ireland since it's release. But since that is not the case, and thats perfectly fine, we have to look at the overall rankings of each player to determine the top 16.

Either way, I don't belong on the list. I played horrendoulsy in groups at inferno 9. This time next year, however, I want to be in the position that no one considers removing me from such a list.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Also, I think leaving Sagat06/8 off the list is a mistake, he was unlucky with groups at the last tournament but in terms of players I'd "fear" coming up against in a tournament he is definitely up there with the top gang.

Agree 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yup defo. I knew there was someone I was forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Reset seeding at Inferno =/= reset seeding anywhere else. Yes, it is a new game and of course there will be new things to learn. But alot (if not the majority) of the skills and knowledge from vanilla are transferable to super. While it is likely that the seeds in super will change from vanilla to some degree, it doesn't mean that they should be completely disregarded.

It is still possible for there to be a drastic shake up if someone puts enough effort and useful time into the game even if a tournament is seeded. Cobels Cammy being the prime example. At some stage you will have to bust a seed or player who is commomly regarded as very good anyway. It is not the seeding process that keeps non-seeded players down.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

IMO and thats the only one that really matters, only Bison players should be seeded!

The only other opinion on the matter we need is Blags, and possibly Lazlo's and Johnny Blue and that other Irish Bison player who's name I can't remember. :P

Dreddy your being overly unfair to Kneecaps, I'd place him over some of your top 16 as well as having Sagat08 on that list. Johnny Blue and the Witch would easily make top 16 if they attended regularly but thats beside the point.

Its hard to create an accurate top 16.

Of the top generally regarded top 3 players I only play Cobelcog consistently and haven't play Mike much or Simon at all.

After Cobels and Mike you have a good few players that place very closely together who are difficult to seperate (Bush, Hound, Blag, Roogle and myself)

Then another group of players (Kirby, Sagat08, Dreddy, Ken B, Doom, Redman350), after that I don't know. Not familiar enough with other players.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

Did man just say sonic boom?

bison-fireball.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

Would it not be a good idea to like, seed a few more than 16 anyway? In the (probably likely) chance that not everybody in the seeding list turns up?

EmSixTeen wrote: »
    Would it not be a good idea to like, seed a few more than 16 anyway? In the (probably likely) chance that not everybody in the seeding list turns up?

I assume it's 8 groups and if the top 8 don't show the second tier of seeds fill their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

EmSixTeen wrote: »

Too many seeds makes things a bit dull.

As Doom says top 8 and second tier of 8 to jump up if the top seeds can't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭EmSixTeen

Fair do's.

I'm not looking for an absolutely definitive "this is the de-facto top 16 in their correct order", just a rough guide for seeding this year's Q-Con event. I expect the top players to rank highly. :)

FutureGuy, I'm not sure if "official SSF4 tournaments" would really be the right phrase to use in reference to anything other than Capcom events. SFIE and Dragonslayers may both be running regular community-driven events, but that still doesn't make them into "official" results.

Although I understand that there is a push to unify Ireland's fighting games scenes, as Kyle said resetting the seeds for Inferno tournaments doesn't necessarily mean that every event should start from scratch with random seeds until enough Inferno events have run to decide on an order. Each fighting game event is its own thing and so rules or seeding decisions are likely to vary from event to event (e.g. one tournament may do double elimination whereas another will be single, one may allow character switching when another doesn't, and so on).

And as others have said, I was after top 16 since some members of the generally accepted top 8 won't be at Q-Con. Roogle will be out of the country and I think Simon's got a big Warhammer 40K event to take part in. Also Mike probably has cooties. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

after all this talk of seeds, i went to homebase and bought some tullips for planting.
    i cant wait until they reveal their beauty.

• Advertisement

That's true actually, sagat08 is a great player and definitely deserves to be somewhere on there (I'd probably replace myself with him).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

This doesn't really concern me personally, but if I recall correctly, it was decided that Super being a new game almost, seeding would begin anew.

While I understand that people would like to see certain players seeded because they know they are good, it doesn't change the fact that they haven't played any(or not enough) seeded tournaments since Super's release. I think it's only fair that they attend said events before getting seeded. This gives other players a chance to be seeded and defend their places. Also it encourages the players who aren't seeded, to turn up and confrim their 'rightful' place among the elite.

In short, if the game being played is SSF4, then the seeding should be taken from the SSF4 tournaments and nothing else. If it upsets the way the tournament plays out, so be it. It will eventually right itself anyway as that is the nature of the system.

Da Bounca wrote: »
    This doesn't really concern me personally, but if I recall correctly, it was decided that Super being a new game almost, seeding would begin anew.

That's for Inferno and has nothing to do with QCon.

Vyze can seed any way he likes. Sure Evo has a vouching system for seeding!

Inferno can afford to start from scratch because it's monthly and will sort itself out over a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Ah, I thought this was related to Inferno results. My bad

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Ah, I thought this was related to Inferno results. My bad

No probs. Inferno is that awesome :D

That's for Inferno and has nothing to do with QCon.
    Pretty much this. :)

Advertisement