Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retoodles in Ireland

Options
  • 16-06-2010 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Does anyone know where I can buy a Retoodle (cross between golden retrievier and a poodle) in Ireland or the U.K? Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

A Retoodle? I've never heard of that one before. Those puppy farmers are coming up with new breeds by the day. Personally I prefer mixed breeds to purebreeds (just personal preferance) but there is no need to pay for one. My fella is a staffador, also known as a labrashire, I haven't seen many around at all and we got him for free through a rescue.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭lisar201

Post removed altogether.

Please do not re-edit mod changes.

Removing one letter of a certain sites name after me removing it does not make the post better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Your local rescue probably has a lab cross or similar looking dog looking for a home. Don't be duped into paying a fortune for one if you do go with one of those labrawhatsits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Perhaps you could contact the NCBI - our calendar is from them and this month's dog is a "Goldendoodle" - I imagine not all the pups from their breeding program are suitable as guide dogs so you might be able to adopt one of the dogs that are headed for pet-dom.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

I'm just here to find out what a retoodle is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Labradors and Golden Retrievers are biddable dogs that make good assistance dogs. Poodles are intelligent dogs, with a very low-shed coat, suitable for allergy sufferers.

Subsequently it seemed like a good idea to cross a labrador or a retriever with a poodle, to get a biddable, intelligent assistance dog, suitable for someone who would benefit from an assistance dog but is allergic to dogs.

The cross is most recognisably called a labradoodle. They're not a recognised breed, because the pups don't breed true - two labradoodles, bred, won't necessarily deliver puppies that are consistent to any breed standard. This is the first time I've heard the word 'retoodle', but given that the labrador and the golden retriever are two different breeds of dog, I suppose it makes sense that a retriever-poodle cross wouldn't be called a labradoodle...

Edit to add an interesting article, in this context...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/labradoodle-pioneer-regrets-fashioning-designer-dog/story-e6frg6n6-1225860829155

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

a labradoodle is not the same thing as a cross between a golden retriever (which is an entirely different dog and is not as closely related to a labrador retriever as people think) and a poodle.

The latter is called a "goldendoodle".

Not that I am particularly fond of all these ridiculous names for cross bred dogs...

Edit: oh, and off topic but still: a golden labrador is actually the name of a golden retriever x labrador retriever. A yellow lab is never referred to as "golden" for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

neelyohara wrote: »
    I'm just here to find out what a retoodle is!
    Is it the same as a Pootriever? :D

Alun wrote: »
    Is it the same as a Pootriever? :D

Oh brilliant! I never thought of that... definitely a better name!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

One of my neighbours has one of these "labradoodles" - he's a nice enough dog but his coat looks like a nightmare to take care of! They also tell everyone "he's a labradoodle" like it's very very posh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

tk123 wrote: »
    One of my neighbours has one of these "labradoodles" - he's a nice enough dog but his coat looks like a nightmare to take care of! They also tell everyone "he's a labradoodle" like it's very very posh!

Their coats are a nightmare to take care of! We had two in for dog grooming, and their owners said they brushed them every day, but they didn't know you have to comb right down to the roots, so the hair on top looked fine but it was all matted underneath. They needed to be completely clipped close to the skin, the owners went mad but there was nothing else you could do it was so badly matted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

So what does this make my Sindy, a golden retriever, spaniel cross? a goldiel? a spantriever??

I think these new 'breeds' are hilarious! Is it snobbery? My dog is a dach/pom cross. I call her a mutt. A furry mutt.

OMG :eek:

I just googled a dach / pom mix.... they actually have a name for it! It's a Dameranian!!! That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages!

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I have 2 jackapoos. Mother minature poodle and daddy a jack russell. It was an accident. People sell this dogs as non shed. Its a lie. My two leave more hair around the house than my other 4 put together. Poodle crosses are not always none shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

That's true - when you cross two dogs, there's no guarantee that the 'non-shed hypo-allergenic' gene from the poodle will be dominant over the dog it's being crossed with. Also there is a MASSIVE amount of grooming with poodles.

It's just unfortunate that some cross breed dogs are gorgeous little charmers and it gives rise to people playing Dr Frankenstein to try and recreate the dog. My old neighbour had a little fluffy dog, a chiuahua-pomeranian cross. Weighed less than the larger of my cats, and it was an absolutely *beautiful* little dog - and I'm not a small dog person. It was friendly, playful, great with kids (and trust me when she brought it out the kids would come thundering up to see it, it was so cute - and it loved the attention, even though I'd be afraid it'd be squashed in the excitement!)

Thankfully, she got that dog as a rescue, and it's neutered, and I've never ever heard her refer to it as a 'Chuapom' or a 'Pomerhua'. She just calls it a mutt and tells anyone who asks that she got it at the pound!

Thankfully, she got that dog as a rescue, and it's neutered, and I've never ever heard her refer to it as a 'Chuapom' or a 'Pomerhua'. She just calls it a mutt and tells anyone who asks that she got it at the pound!

I've them being called Pom-Chi's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

so what is a shih tzu and a collie.......a shihtie:D

ppink wrote: »
    so what is a shih tzu and a collie.......a shihtie:D

:D Or a bulldog and a shih-tzu . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

morganafay wrote: »
    :D Or a bulldog and a shih-tzu . . .

:D:D

Advertisement