Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

V-Twin for less than 2K ?

• 16-06-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the hunt for a V-Twin for under 2 grand. Do I have a hope of getting anything decent ?

My preferred list is Monster 600, SV650s (pointy), V-Strom 650 or even an older VFR 750/800. Don't particularly wanna go old with the Duc, but would consider it with the VFR. '03 SV is the earliest pointy afair, and I think the V-Strom is out of this price bracket.

Any hope ?

Any other suggestions ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

KamiKazi wrote: »

Love love love the Firestorm.

Get this! What he said!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

No way man. I'm not looking at litre bikes for a couple of years yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

firestorm :eek::D great fun and 90mile range when you trash it

monsters are OK but need to be serviced often

vfr750/800 are Vfours ;) and you would pick one up for 2k or early sv650

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Did these ever come to Ireland?

http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I picked up a 01 SV650 with 22 odd miles a couple of weeks ago for 1,400 so for a bit extra you might get one. In quite good nick so they are out there its just a case of finding one. I have picked two different bikes for under 2k each in the past month. Some people are stuck for cash, it just finding out who is trying to get rid of something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

si_guru wrote: »
    Did these ever come to Ireland?

http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=23

Yes. THAT shower on the Long Mile Road used to do them........I think they're quite good, actually, although they rust like mad.

Someone else on here posted lately they bought a span new one in NI and brought it home.

Read All About It

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes. THAT shower on the Long Mile Road used to do them........I think they're quite good, actually, although they rust like mad.

Someone else on here posted lately they bought a span new one in NI and brought it home.

Read All About It

They use SV motors in the 650 don't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

That's my understanding yes. A lad I work with had one got rid of after about 12 months. I can't remember the problems he had, but he had quite a few, though to be fair he reckons that he just got a dodgy one, he was telling me that generally he still hears good things about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Technically yes, but I thought I read that what they (and a lot of Asian manufacturers) do is to buy a (in this case) SV 650 and effectively clone the engine. Even then I believe it was the old Carb (curvy) sv rather than the ECU based Pointy version. They change perhaps the odd bit to make sure they don't infringe on patents etc, but yes, effectively it is a heavier, lower power, clunkier, SV650.

My advice: for the extra couple of quid that the real SV is, I'd go for that instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

When Hyosung started in the 70s/80s they made engines for Suzuki (and possibly other manufacturers), and I think produced bikes for Suzuki for certain Asian markets. They started producing their own bikes later - hence the engine similarities, and still have some sort of "relationship" with Suzuki - probably making engines, parts, etc.

I'm not sure why people think that Suzuki has taken them over recently, though. Their parent company has changed a couple of years back, but it was another Korean company that took them over, not Suzuki.

I've owned two Hyosungs, and found them bulletproof, but that was in Korea - a lot of people have complaints about the finish quality - rusting, poor paint jobs, bad chrome.

Advertisement