Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whut u think of that HL french paper?

• 16-06-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

i taugh the paper was ok...not good but alrite...hard comprehensions...but was able to use all my econimie vocab for the essay on emigration which was good...the other essays were alrite too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

Tape was a piece of piss, never seen it so easy, comprehensions werent too bad, q1 was fine, diary was grand...kinda winged the answer on the paying students to go to school yoke, hopefully passed its me weakest subject by far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 the under dog

watttttt!!!!!!!!!! that tape was a feckin bithc........didnt understand a bit of it.............:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

That was the easiest exam ive ever done, and i hate french.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

watttttt!!!!!!!!!! that tape was a feckin bithc........didnt understand a bit of it.............:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I am in complete agreement, I just couldn't get the anwers to some of the questions and ended up guessing. Dammmmmmmmmit

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Wasnt bad over all. Not sure my vocab for the emigration question was up to scratch... So glad that a question on 'la mode' came up. Made my day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

I am in complete agreement, I just couldn't get the anwers to some of the questions and ended up guessing. Dammmmmmmmmit

Same here...it was that damn section about the archiologist that got me!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 calzini

I thought tape was absolutely horrible! Think our CD player was a bit too loud as well which didn't help, could here it vibrating when someone spoke loudly, so annoying!
    Thought the comprehensions were alright and I was happy enough with my written... Hoping for an A but think I might have blown it with the aural :/

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

Yeah me too the tape wasn't disastrous or anything but it was very hard, but the written was fine I think. Essays were really suitable and the diary was fine, and the comprehensions were easy aswell imo, especially the 2nd one compared to past years. Sometimes Comp.2 is very hard to understand but this one was very do-able. :) I was hoping for an A aswell but like calzini the tape probably brought me down after a great oral and written... ah well!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

was an ok paper. It was hard in some parts and easy in others which was good. I think I did ok, I was aiming for a C1 and felt that I achieved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

The comprehensions were pretty tough but other than that I thought it was fine, although I couldn't make out some of the answers on the tape test : (

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

I thought it was pretty good. Comprehensions not too bad, some tricky enough questions on the first I wasn't 100% certain of, Second seemed fine. For the english questions at the end of each.. On the first I said 'yes the new license will be welcomed because it will remove complicated questions from the theory test' (+ quote) and 'yes because it eliminates delays, so students won't need to keep paying for lessons out of fear that they'll lose their skills before the test (+quote)

Second... I said 'yes she is a victim because she is thrown out, helplessly, unable to do anything about it and sent on her way alone.
    Annnnnd... Because she is hungry, thirsty and exhausted and helpless to do anything about it.

Should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

anyone get what the archiologist found and how old ur ones house was?

anyone get what the archiologist found and how old ur ones house was?

it was a bone, not sure exactly what it was but it was definitely 'os', well I think so.

The house was built before the second world war.

Her house was built before the second world war not sure about the other question.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

House was built before world war 2, I wrote down 2 years ago, but thinking becak I heard something involving world and war, so I messed that up.

The Parisian one was ridiculous. So tough.

The written was grand, threw in the subjonctive and the plus que parfait as well, chuffed with that.

In the second comprehension, I think i put down a word beginning with 'f' for the question asking for 'the word which means a loud noise'. Anyone recall it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

JamesJB wrote: »
    In the second comprehension, I think i put down a word beginning with 'f' for the question asking for 'the word which means a loud noise'. Anyone recall it?

"fracas". Entendre was in the same sentence, so I guessed that. I just looked it up now and it's right. :)

I thought the comprehensions were quite hard. The writings tasks were alright although I answered them pretty badly. Was happy with the tape.

Fracas, it's used in English as well, when someone makes a fracas. What did people say for the boat was in a bad state, I just said there was water around your feet, cause last time I checked, water was supposed to be outside the boat, not in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

it was a bone, not sure exactly what it was but it was definitely 'os', well I think so.

The house was built before the second world war.
    I said it had a bull engraved on it haha. I heard "Tauro engravé" or something, so I took a guess. I figured the question required two details, so I just guessed that it was a weapon
    Le fracas or something...

Overall delighted with the paper. Comprehensions were fine, written pieces were easy, and tape was nice and slow

"fracas". Entendre was in the same sentence, so I guessed that. I just looked it up now and it's right. :)

Thanks!
    What did people say for the boat was in a bad state, I just said there was water around your feet, cause last time I checked, water was supposed to be outside the boat, not in it.

I said there was a putrid odour coming from the wood of the boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

For the boat in a bad state I said about the bad smell, could well have been wrong though.

IrishKev wrote: »
    For the boat in a bad state I said about the bad smell, could well have been wrong though.

No it's right I'm sure, although if they're really mean they might specify that you have to say the smell is coming from the wood of the boat, which is what it says in the text. I reckon you've got it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falala

Tape was ridiculously hard. Who would know about an archaeologists job in ENGLISH, never mind French. Such a disappointment after a good paper and oral. Goodbye A1.. :-(

falala wrote: »
    Tape was ridiculously hard. Who would know about an archaeologists job in ENGLISH, never mind French. Such a disappointment after a good paper and oral. Goodbye A1.. :-(

You don't know that yet, no point in estimating really. I didn't find the tape hard but if lots of people do they might be nice about the trickier questions. I was unsure about 'the object the archaeologist found' and the last question about faulty toys...I said the electronics/controls had a problem. For the one about the woman buying the house, I think I said she was worried since her roof had a hole in it that let the rain in. Im unsure, but I shouldn't let it worry me since I don't really know, not till the 18th of August!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bainne

If anyone wants the answers to the aural here they are. Obviously I'm only typing out what I can remember I wrote, but I'm pretty sure it is to the word of what I wrote. I've never gotten less than 76/80 in a tape before so I think it'd be fair enough to say most of these are right, unless they get fussy with the marking scheme....

Section 1:
    1) Open a surf shop by the sea
    2) She is obliged to by her parents
    3) To only have to attend the family meal once a month
    4) Of being attacked by the groups
    Section 2:
    1) When watching the film Indiana Jones
    2) Spend hours studying the subject in the library/ to find a location that has never been excavated before by foot, by car or even in a plane/to get permission from the state
    3) They are down on their knees all the time on the soil/ they have to carry heavy weights around/ they have to live peramantly on the site with all the other members of the team, this isn’t always easy
    4) A bone graved with the Taurus star sign
    5) That she was the first person to have touched the object (I may have remember to say ‘bone’) for over 15 thousand years
    Section 3:
    1) That they had just bought a house
    2) When the owner of the building increased the rent by 10%-this isn’t acceptable these days
    3) Because she will have to take two buses to get to work in the morning
    4) It goes directly to the factory where he works
    5) Before the Second World War
    6) There is the a big hole in the roof that the rain can get in through
    Section 4
    1) When they find out that there are no more dishes of the day left at 11 euro
    2) By making a grimace/ refusing to by it (and I think, though I scribbled it out, by trying to haggle)
    3) They give less in tips than they used to/if they do give tips it is only small change
    4) They look for the cheapest prices in the nearby bars by passing by and by again.
    5) His bar is well placed in a tourist area
    Section 5
    1) 17:45 (I’m pretty sure a reference to the day may have been there as well, perhaps ‘hier’ but I didn’t get it)
    2) Minister of Health
    3) Internet sites that are aimed at young people
    4) Because of problems with the remote control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

calzini wrote: »
    I thought tape was absolutely horrible! Think our CD player was a bit too loud as well which didn't help, could here it vibrating when someone spoke loudly, so annoying!
    Thought the comprehensions were alright and I was happy enough with my written... Hoping for an A but think I might have blown it with the aural :/

Exact same situation. The tape was far too loud and the vibrations made it very tough to concentrate on what was being said D=
    Written was ok, tape was an absolute disaster though..

Ahhhhhh feck, I said the odour, but then changed to their being water around their feet. Bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Bainne wrote: »
    If anyone wants the answers to the aural here they are. Obviously I'm only typing out what I can remember I wrote, but I'm pretty sure it is to the word of what I wrote. I've never gotten less than 76/80 in a tape before so I think it'd be fair enough to say most of these are right, unless they get fussy with the marking scheme....

Section 1:
    Section 2:
    2) Spend hours studying the subject in the library/ to find a location that has never been excavated before by foot, by car or even in a plane/to get permission from the state
    3) They are down on their knees all the time on the soil/ they have to carry heavy weights around/ they have to live peramantly on the site with all the other members of the team, this isn’t always easy
    5) That she was the first person to have touched the object (I may have remember to say ‘bone’) for over 15 thousand years
    Section 3:
    2) When the owner of the building increased the rent by 10%-this isn’t acceptable these days
    Section 4
    2) By making a grimace/ refusing to by it (and I think, though I scribbled it out, by trying to haggle)
    3) They give less in tips than they used to/if they do give tips it is only small change
    4) They look for the cheapest prices in the nearby bars by passing by and by again.
    Section 5
    1) 17:45 (I’m pretty sure a reference to the day may have been there as well, perhaps ‘hier’ but I didn’t get it)
    2) Minister of Health

Grand. If they're right I got about 40/80. Hopefully on my way to a C3!!! :)

Bainne wrote: »

Section 1:
    Section 2:
    Section 3:
    Section 4
    Section 5
    2) Minister of Health

Ones in bold differed on mine. I think I said they tip less often (was unsure, you're probably right). For the second, I just left it at 'look for the cheapest prices'. Probably not enough in retrospect. For the last, I said 'controls/electronics'. Lots of people wrote 'telecommunications' but that doesn't make sense obviously...

• Advertisement

Well I didn't get a good few of those answers, thought it went well aswel, don't know what I was doing :confused:

Advertisement