Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whut u think of that HL french paper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bainne wrote: »
    If anyone wants the answers to the aural here they are. Obviously I'm only typing out what I can remember I wrote, but I'm pretty sure it is to the word of what I wrote. I've never gotten less than 76/80 in a tape before so I think it'd be fair enough to say most of these are right, unless they get fussy with the marking scheme....

Section 1:
    1) Open a surf shop by the sea
    2) She is obliged to by her parents
    3) To only have to attend the family meal once a month
    4) Of being attacked by the groups
    Section 2:
    1) When watching the film Indiana Jones
    2) Spend hours studying the subject in the library/ to find a location that has never been excavated before by foot, by car or even in a plane/to get permission from the state
    3) They are down on their knees all the time on the soil/ they have to carry heavy weights around/ they have to live peramantly on the site with all the other members of the team, this isn’t always easy
    4) A bone graved with the Taurus star sign
    5) That she was the first person to have touched the object (I may have remember to say ‘bone’) for over 15 thousand years
    Section 3:
    1) That they had just bought a house
    2) When the owner of the building increased the rent by 10%-this isn’t acceptable these days
    3) Because she will have to take two buses to get to work in the morning
    4) It goes directly to the factory where he works
    5) Before the Second World War
    6) There is the a big hole in the roof that the rain can get in through
    Section 4
    1) When they find out that there are no more dishes of the day left at 11 euro
    2) By making a grimace/ refusing to by it (and I think, though I scribbled it out, by trying to haggle)
    3) They give less in tips than they used to/if they do give tips it is only small change
    4) They look for the cheapest prices in the nearby bars by passing by and by again.
    5) His bar is well placed in a tourist area
    Section 5
    1) 17:45 (I’m pretty sure a reference to the day may have been there as well, perhaps ‘hier’ but I didn’t get it)
    2) Minister of Health
    3) Internet sites that are aimed at young people
    4) Because of problems with the remote control

i love you haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JamesJB

Well I didn't get a good few of those answers, thought it went well aswel, don't know what I was doing :confused:

I'm sure you did better than you are thinking. Remember, you really cannot know until August. Just chill, think of all the freedom you'll have for summer and finish your LC in peace I say :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Psychedelia

according to a french teacher who was a scribe she said that the archeological question regarding what she found was a bone shaped as aa bull?
    which is strange.
    it was un os dans la profile d'un taureau appar?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Section 3:
    2) When the owner of the building increased the rent by 10%-this isn’t acceptable these days

I think you would have to specify the factory where the husband works - she works in an office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

JamesJB wrote: »
    I'm sure you did better than you are thinking. Remember, you really cannot know until August. Just chill, think of all the freedom you'll have for summer and finish your LC in peace I say :cool:

Thanks the written questions went well so I shouldn't be too worried but it's hard not to think about it! I finish tomorrow so can't complain too much :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

S**t from the looks of it my tape didnt go well from the answers given. Thought it was a fair enough paper didn't find the comprehensions hard at the time got an answer for all of them but when people were talking about them after I don't think I got many right. Done the emmigration written and the fast food one. Had done immigration and obesity inclass so got lucky enough.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I found the comprehensions okay, mostly just went on a bit in the written stuff.

I found those hard but they always are.:(

And that tape was aload of bollocks, found it really really hard. And they mark tape very hard. **** that anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

pretty happy with the paper hopefully got my a2/b1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Comprehensions were hard enough, production écrites were easy as was tapework. Overall glad to have it done and dusted with.

Even the French guy in my year said it was difficult so I'm not complaining. The comprehension about the driving license where there was a choice, he said that the comprehension was a bit misleading. Hopefully the department will realise this and re-issue the marking scheme to allow for an either/or answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭bubblz

comprenhensions were so hard.. one of my friends who got an a1 in the written paper last yr thought they were so hard as well... so disappointed.. learnt loadsa topics nd luckily la mode came up but made some really stupid mistakes in it... got a C3 last yr was hoping to move up ta even a C1... deff not going to happen now....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Thanks for the tape wanswers. I REALLY guessed the answer "there's a hole on the roof" because I couldn't hear it. That should get me half makrs :D. The thing about the bone is confusing. Are we suppose to know how to comprehend that? I don't know how to the word "bone" or a "bull".

• Registered Users Posts: 24 calzini

If anyone wants the answers to the aural here they are. Obviously I'm only typing out what I can remember I wrote, but I'm pretty sure it is to the word of what I wrote. I've never gotten less than 76/80 in a tape before so I think it'd be fair enough to say most of these are right, unless they get fussy with the marking scheme....

Section 1:
    Section 2:
    2) Spend hours studying the subject in the library/ to find a location that has never been excavated before by foot, by car or even in a plane/to get permission from the state
    3) They are down on their knees all the time on the soil/ they have to carry heavy weights around/ they have to live peramantly on the site with all the other members of the team, this isn’t always easy
    5) That she was the first person to have touched the object (I may have remember to say ‘bone’) for over 15 thousand years
    Section 3:
    Section 4
    2) By making a grimace/ refusing to by it (and I think, though I scribbled it out, by trying to haggle)
    3) They give less in tips than they used to/if they do give tips it is only small change
    4) They look for the cheapest prices in the nearby bars by passing by and by again.
    Section 5
    1) 17:45 (I’m pretty sure a reference to the day may have been there as well, perhaps ‘hier’ but I didn’t get it)
    2) Minister of Health

Aw ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Indigo Sunrise

I guessed there was a "hole in the ground", don't even know what hole is in french. Now that I think about it would have made more sense to say roof :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bainne

Ones in bold differed on mine. I think I said they tip less often (was unsure, you're probably right). For the second, I just left it at 'look for the cheapest prices'. Probably not enough in retrospect. For the last, I said 'controls/electronics'. Lots of people wrote 'telecommunications' but that doesn't make sense obviously...

Hmm... That might have been the answer actually, it wouldn't make sense if they referrred to how much they tip in both points. The last one was definitely 'remote control' I'm afraid. I've looked it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 a_coe

i said that the windows and doors needed replacing
    meh.
    thought the paper overall was nice enough, hoping for an A or high B. need a B3 to do it next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Bainne

I think you would have to specify the factory where the husband works - she works in an office.

You are right. You would definitely need to say that. I did in fact, just forgot to type it out here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

@ last question, I'm sure it's remote control as well because I remember learning that as a vocab years ago while doing comprehensions in the junior cert. Even my friends and teacher said remote control.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cf10

you know when there was the options
    (a)(b)(c) and (d) in the comprehensions...what did people choose??

i picked d for both of them not sure though..also what was that word for"partir de actual moment"?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Compréhension auditive:

SECTION I

1. Oliver: To open a surf shop beside the sea in Australia

2. Marise:
    (i) Because her parents oblige her to / make her attend family meals.

(ii) It would suite her better to go/attend once a (per) month.

3. Jules: He fears being attacked by gangs

SECTION II

1. Whilst watching the Indiana Jones film.
    C'était en regardant le fim d'Indiana Jones que j'ai pris ma décision. Même si la vie de ce personnage ne reflète pas vraiment celle d'un archéologue, j'ai su en le voyant que j'avais envie de trouver des trésors.

2. (a) and (b)
    · First of all, one/you studies/study a topic/subject at the library (for example castles of the Middle Ages)
    · One/you look(s) for a place that has never been exploited/worked on by foot, by car or even sometimes by plane.
    · One/You ask(s) for permission (authorisation) from the State and once you get it you can begin digging/excavating.
    3. (a) and (b)
    · You (One) are (is) carrying alot of weight
    · You're /one is always on your /one's knees on the ground // You always have you're knees on the ground.
    · You have to live permanently/constantly on the site with other members of the team which isn't always easy.
    (i) She discovered a bone on which the outline of a bull was engraved/carved out.
    Un jour j'ai découvert un os sur lequel était gravé un profil de taureau.

(ii) She was emotional because she was the first person to touch it (the bone) in 15 thousand years.

SECTION III

(i) Just bought a new house in the suburbs.

(ii) When the owner of the apartment block increased the rent by 10%.

Ah Bon !... Vraiment ! … Mais je te croyais heureuse dans votre bel appartement ? Au début, ouais, malgré quelques problèmes avec les autres locataires. Ils faisaient du tapage nocturne sans cesse dans les couloirs et en plus ils jetaient des ordures devant la porte. Mais le comble [final straw], c’était quand le propriétaire de l’immeuble a augmenté le loyer de 10%. [...]
    (i) Because she will have to take 2 buses to get to the office (work) in the morning.
    (ii) She says that the tram goes directly to the factory where her husband works.
    (i) The house was build before/prior to the Second World War.
    (ii) That there's a hole in the ceiling which is letting rain get in.
    Mais la seule chose qui m'inquiète c'est qu'il y a un grand trou dans le toit qui laisse passer la pluie.
    SECTION IV
    1. Agnès : They often leave If there’s no more meals / plats du jour at €11left/remaining.
    2. Jérôme: (a) and (b)
    · The customers/tourists grimace / make a funny face.
    · They refuse to buy it.
    · They try to bargain / haggle.
    3. Géraldine : (a) and (b)
    · They rarely give a tip now.
    · If they do tip, it's only small change.
    4. Hubert:
    (i) Before choosing their table to eat, they look for the lowest prices (on the menu)
    (ii) Because it's well positioned/placed/situated in a tourist area/district.

SECTION V
    1. around / about 17.45 / quarter to 6 / 5.45pm

2. (i) Minister for Health
    (ii) Internet sites which are destined for/aimed at / intended for young people.

3. Problems with the remote control

(**Official SEC marking scheme may be prone to changes**)

cf10 wrote: »
    you know when there was the options
    (a)(b)(c) and (d) in the comprehensions...what did people choose??

i picked d for both of them not sure though..also what was that word for"partir de actual moment"?

1) I'm fairly certain it was the option for 'the test will be the same as it was before, just as hard or w/e. I think it was b). The word 'risque' is misleading as it does not apply to risks of crashes, rather to a hypothetical situation. In the second one I am fairly certain it's d), indifferent.

2) Désormais

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Section 1:
    Section 2:
    Section 3:
    Section 4
    Section 5
    2) Minister of Health

Was it not once a week?

Have to admit twas a toughish and tricky paper. Don't think I got my A1, hopefully B1/A2... I noticed how they put up the opinion on emigration to try and divert people who had prepared stuff on the economic crisis. Could guarantee a lot of people will lose marks for lack of coherency(going off on a tangent)...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Burn French Burn !!! i f-ing hate you as a subject and now I never have to see any more of your s**** again :D:D:D

and i managed to stay in honours and probably did enough to get my D :D:D:D:D:D

when i come back here to talk about the result i'll probably have an F though :P

Was it not once a week?

Have to admit twas a toughish and tricky paper. Don't think I got my A1, hopefully B1/A2... I noticed how they put up the opinion on emigration to try and divert people who had prepared stuff on the economic crisis. Could guarantee a lot of people will lose marks for lack of coherency(going off on a tangent)...

I mentioned the crise but i specifically stated that people go abroad to escape from unemployment and poverty. I mentioned actual people I know who have done it for that reason so should be relevant.

Also mentioned that education is the true solution and should come before everything else, but that going abroad is also a solution. it should be fine, added subjunctives, conditional, future tenses, some idiomatic phrases, few errors... Hoping for an A...:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

I mentioned the crise but i specifically stated that people go abroad to escape from unemployment and poverty. I mentioned actual people I know who have done it for that reason so should be relevant.

Also mentioned that education is the true solution and should come before everything else, but that going abroad is also a solution. it should be fine, added subjunctives, conditional, future tenses, some idiomatic phrases, few errors... Hoping for an A...:cool:

Exact same, mentioned that my cousins went abroad to America(bull****) and how the govt. needs to do more, etc. Used about 7 subjunctive sentences in that opinion, I know that means nothing, I might even get penalised for the amount of them!:pac: Few mistakes too...

The question "Relevez le mot qui veut dire 'à partir du moment actuel' of the La réforme du permis de conduire comprehension ...

it's "désormais"

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cf10

1) I'm fairly certain it was the option for 'the test will be the same as it was before, just as hard or w/e. I think it was b). The word 'risque' is misleading as it does not apply to risks of crashes, rather to a hypothetical situation. In the second one I am fairly certain it's d), indifferent.

2) Désormais

ah s***!! WHAT does desormais mean??? i kept seeing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

foxymm wrote: »
    The question "Relevez le mot qui veut dire 'à partir du moment actuel' of the La réforme du permis de conduire comprehension ...

it's "désormais"

Mehhhh ****! I wrote that then last minute of exam I changed it to "urgent" or something like that because I thought "partir du moment actuel" was urgency like leave in this exact moment?

Should still pull off a C1 :(

désormais means 'from now on, 'from this point on / onwards' . . .

C'est la réponse correcte pour Q1, 2 (iii).

Her house was built before the second world war not sure about the other question.
    craaaap I wrote during >.< and I was so proud at getting the war bit...

and agh!! I had desormais as my answer then changed it to plutot...eejit so I am!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Lib23

craaaap I wrote during >.< and I was so proud at getting the war bit...

and agh!! I had desormais as my answer then changed it to plutot...eejit so I am!

Know what you feel like, im just going to not look at the correct answers anymore :)

Advertisement