Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whut u think of that HL french paper?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Burn French Burn !!! i f-ing hate you as a subject and now I never have to see any more of your s**** again :D:D:D

and i managed to stay in honours and probably did enough to get my D :D:D:D:D:D

when i come back here to talk about the result i'll probably have an F though :P

Ha ha - i'm a French teacher - that gave me a laugh!!! There are times i feel the same!! Ah, i'm sure you did grand, good luck anyway

bubblz wrote: »
    made loads of stupid mistakes... a lot of people found the comprehensions hard so hopefully might be marked easier....
    I'm a French teacher - the comps were very difficult, i agree. But rememebr - everyone found them hard so don't beat yourself up over it. They usually adjust the marking scheme!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colddesert

ryanf1 wrote: »
    For Q4 i thought this was the answer:

« Si la note est publiée dans la
    presse, ce sera du plus mauvais
    effet »
    Thats d?

ya i got D aswell!!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

For that answer I said 'An object engraved with a bull' - maybe they might give me one mark (more than likely not).

It's a crap feeling when you can hear the word clearly but don't know what it means in English!

kev9100 wrote: »
    Well, thats me well and truly screwed. The second comprehension was an unholy disaster and I messed up the tape:mad:.

Hey, don't be so hard on yourself! I've been teaching French for 7 yrs - so trust me when i say - most people found it hard. I've a feeling you'll do better than you think!! Chin up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

What topics came up in the essay questions and the diary entry please?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

You know the official marking scheme hasn't even been finalised yet, never mind published!

Gagiteebo, here is the paper http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2010/LC010ALP000EV.pdf

JamesJB wrote: »
    To all of you people who are kicking themselves now: don't! You really will be surprised with results (either pleasantly or...the other kind) especially if you've been nitpicking your papers or predicting your scores. We all do it I suppose but don't be disheartened by it, or elated by it either - you just don't know yet.

Fair play to you! Well said.

To all of you people who are kicking themselves now: don't! You really will be surprised with results (either pleasantly or...the other kind) especially if you've been nitpicking your papers or predicting your scores. We all do it I suppose but don't be disheartened by it, or elated by it either - you just don't know yet.

Fair play to you! Well said!

Emigration / describing your driving test / diary: having to cancel new yr's party / fast food / fashion / reasons for not doing volunteer wrok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 falala

Yeah, but where is everyone pulling these other marking schemes out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

ryanf1 wrote: »
    For Q4 i thought this was the answer:

« Si la note est publiée dans la
    presse, ce sera du plus mauvais
    effet »
    Thats d?

The multiple choice question was b... that the test will be just as difficult to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Connie Bah

Wish we got last year's listening :<

I'm sorry to hear that. But please remember: most people found it v hard - even i did, and i teach French! Also, having two subjects in one day is crazy, i know it's very hard on you. But please, keep the chin up. I'm sure you've done very well in other subjects. When you're stressed, you tend to forget the good stuff that you did write in the exam, So stay positive! Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

For the 'cite the phrase which shows the workload of examiners has increased' question i literally quoted 'mais donner quatres petites données passe desormais une heure' or something like that. I'm sure that's it but did anyone get the same?

Yeah that's correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I can't believe people thought the aural was easy. I thought it was hardest part of the whole paper. Loads of them, I just didn't have a clue what they were saying and just guessed.

I thought the paper itself was quite good. I was able to answer everything. I thought the comprehensions were a bit tricky and on reflection, I think I may have misunderstood a couple of questions. I also ran out of time. I skipped the English bits of the comprehensions to do my written pieces, and I had to rush back and just scribble in some ****e. I don't think I'll be getting very many marks for that bit! I thought the questions on the first comprehension were hard, but the piece itself was easier and the questions on the second one were easy, but the piece was very hard. Wasn't a big fan. Loved the question about emigration, just rambled on and on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 coff

In the second comprehension, I think i put down a word beginning with 'f' for the question asking for 'the word which means a loud noise'. Anyone recall it?
    i put down the house was still being built as they were doing renovation on it!!!, that is so wrong i guess!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Where are these people getting the marking schemes? These will change slightly due to the difficulty of the comprehensions...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

For that answer I said 'An object engraved with a bull' - maybe they might give me one mark (more than likely not).

It's a crap feeling when you can hear the word clearly but don't know what it means in English!

i just heard bull ...i actually thought they found a bull..stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kfpt

teacher30 wrote: »
    Ha ha - i'm a French teacher - that gave me a laugh!!! There are times i feel the same!! Ah, i'm sure you did grand, good luck anyway

question for the french teacher!:D

do you have to use complicated grammar to score high on the journal etc?
    im really worried i kept it too simple:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

teacher30 wrote: »

the fact that i sat the honours paper is a miracle in itself seeing as i spent 2 years trying to drop to pass because i hated every minute i spent in the class.. didn't do a tap either because i kept thinking i'd drop to pass eventually so that kinda messed me up big time :P :P :P

suppose morale is if your teacher won't let you drop you should actually try and ldo some french rather than sit there and do maths or irish while the teacher thinks your actually answering a comprehension or something haha..

i can't actually believe i ended up sitting that paper though - i'm half proud of myself for doing it :P :P :P

see what happens come august now

kfpt wrote: »
    question for the french teacher!:D

do you have to use complicated grammar to score high on the journal etc?
    im really worried i kept it too simple:(

No, don't worry. The Chief advises to use: simple, correcxt grammar. Obviously, the odd few complicated will get the highr marks, but simple, correct grammar gets very high marks!! Better to have simple, correct than incorretc, complicated!!!

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    the fact that i sat the honours paper is a miracle in itself seeing as i spent 2 years trying to drop to pass because i hated every minute i spent in the class.. didn't do a tap either because i kept thinking i'd drop to pass eventually so that kinda messed me up big time :P :P :P

suppose morale is if your teacher won't let you drop you should actually try and ldo some french rather than sit there and do maths or irish while the teacher thinks your actually answering a comprehension or something haha..

i can't actually believe i ended up sitting that paper though - i'm half proud of myself for doing it :P :P :P

see what happens come august now

Let me know how you get on!!! Maybe i'm just nosy, but i'll be interested to hear how you do. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paul08

to be honest i messed up completely. i usually rely on my comprehension and my aural to bring me up but thought it was really difficult yesterday, i understood the pieces and what was going on, i just couldnt get a grip on the questions. did 2 mocks this year got a c1 and a b2 and i need a b3 for commerce with french in nui but with that test im seriously worried that i didnt get the b3. in all honesty iv only myself to blame as i should have covered more written work but i thought seen as my other 2 were so good that around 60/100 would always be good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,118 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I answered mostly in the present tense, Will that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 roll on summer 10!

Personally I found the paper and aural fine, but I spent a yr in France for TY :P i thought they were stingy with the comprehensions cos the comprehensions themselves were easier to understand than other years but the questions were really sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

It's is not a marking scheme whatsoever. These are the answers which would probably achieve the full 5 marks per question segment. The official marking schemes will be more details as they will include potential answers which many only get 4 marks, 3 marks, 2 marks etc. I have given you the answers based on what I would have said. Je suis prof! However, the official marking schemes will not be released until September probably at the latest as final marking scheme may have been altered a number of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭foxymm

Furthermore, the answers given for the aural are those which I believe will achieve full marks but again, note of caution, the aural marking scheme will change quite considerably over the Summer so basically what I should have said was that there is a "health warning" with these answers in terms of them not being subject of the Marking scheme, just yet!. Sorry for the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

UglyFuc wrote: »
    Khady put his bag and
    sat on it. She half closed her eyes, leaving
    his eyes a slit through which she could see
    come and go from a nervous man in charge of
    drive.

Okay please tell me is Khady a he or she?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

Oh God, this postmortem on the paper is making me seriously rethink it all. Better not read anymore.......

Advertisement