Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age groups use Rock & Metal?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

In light of a recent conversation between 2 posters,thought this might be a fun way to see how diverse an age range use this forum.

What age groups use Rock & Metal 187 votes

0-18 years
    0%
    18-25 years
    7%
    DermoNailzgungunFlojoTwilightninghacxride-the-spiralJako8Cormac2791madheadedcyphariusHerb PowellStereoLovePeter03 14 votes
    25-35 years
    44%
    PugsleyDermoShazbotPrezatchrainbow kirbyPyr0BeekayTar.AldariongizmoNuminaMotley CrueNecronomiconPatricideNailzSomnusGLaDOSMushycedominationA Primal Nutfobster 84 votes
    35-45 years
    31%
    LemmingKarl Hungusbyteentropitony 2 toneCreatureDermoNevyn/V\etalfishSarkyIamMetaldaveetherOral SlangforbairtZombienoshMotley CrueNightwishMick Shrimptonc - 13Gross Halfwit 59 votes
    45 +
    16%
    NIBBSDermoNeabubonicusslavetothegrindadoxNailzRoanmoreBlue850galwayrushpeter1892lord lucandamonjewelGrid.blarney_armyfergpiescudzillaKess73FlojoPattheMetaller 30 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

25-35 years
    well i'm 23, I presumed the average age was around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Hope I dont get left on my own as the elder lemon! ha ha ha:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

25-35 years
    Im 24 now... Getting old :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

25-35 years
    20 myself, I imagine it's all ages, but the biggest group on boards as general users is probably 18-30 and that will be reflected in the poll

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

45 +
    I'm 35,not far off 36. I love the fact that i'm the age i am as it meant i was around to see lots of great Rock/Metal acts from the late 80's on live.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

25-35 years
    My 26th birthday is in 2 weeks... But I clicked the 18 - 25 box because I'm young at heart and still get asked for ID :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

18-25 years
    I'm a measly 17 years of age. :p 18 in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

35-45 years
    Im 27 soon be to 28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

35-45 years
    Hope I dont get left on my own as the elder lemon! ha ha ha:eek:

Don't worry. Dermo is every age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

35-45 years
    I'm 27, the ideal age for a (dead) rock star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

45 +
    I'll be 40 in a couple of months.......don't feel it, certainly don't act it.......and like lucan - I'm just so happy to have been able to catch so much good music live since the late 80's............kinda fell out of love with new music for a few years in the 90's - but got that back quickly enough and can't believe how many good gigs there are on our little Island nowadays........lets hope it keeps coming....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

45 +
    nibbs and lord lucan i have yis trumped!
    ( though nibbs is about to catch me)

NEVER TOO OLD TO ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

I am looking forward to growing up one of these days.....:p

Nibbs it is entirely possible i would have met you in bruxelles or mc gonagles over the years!
    You'll remember the old vinyl jukebox.......now the young 'uns are in shock! VINYL!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

25-35 years
    21, nearing 22.

Rock/metal music doesn't mean as much to me as it once did (back from when I was about 14 up until about 19, I was a true follower!) but I still love listening to some of the old tracks. Not as fanatical as I once was. Maybe I'm getting old.!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'm 31 and I still appreciate the stuff I was into when I was 16/17.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

45 +
    nibbs and lord lucan i have yis trumped!
    ( though nibbs is about to catch me)

NEVER TOO OLD TO ROCK AND ROLL!!!!

I am looking forward to growing up one of these days.....:p

Nibbs it is entirely possible i would have met you in bruxelles or mc gonagles over the years!
    You'll remember the old vinyl jukebox.......now the young 'uns are in shock! VINYL!

Amen :-)

I've no doubt that there's a load of people that post on the various message boards that know each other but have no idea who they are talking to online :-)

holy **** - now you are bringing me back, we've seen that bar move to everywhere in the place except the entrance door........I remember when the jacks was downstairs in the Rock bar too......I know a lad that attacked it one night because he thought it was laughing at him (gas does strange things to the mind).......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

25-35 years
    DazMarz wrote: »
    21, nearing 22.

Rock/metal music doesn't mean as much to me as it once did (back from when I was about 14 up until about 19, I was a true follower!) but I still love listening to some of the old tracks. Not as fanatical as I once was. Maybe I'm getting old.!:o
    funny. I went through the same phase when I was about 19 or 20.

Then Machine Head released "the blackening" and I got right back into metal!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

45 +
    I'm 37, Went to my first gig aged 12, Monster of Rock at Donington, line up was
    ZZ Top, Marillion, Bon JOvi, Metallica, Ratt & Magnum.

Been to literally hundreds of gigs and festivals since, seen most of the biggest rock bands ever, met most of the rock gods.

Seems the older i got, the more metal i get, at the moment fav bands are Hatebreed, Cancer Bats, Slipknot.

Fav of all time is Metallica, seen them around 25 times now all over Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

45 +
    Being 39, the best gig I've been at has been Metallica at the Top Hat with Danzig supporting during the Blind Justice Tour. Seeing Hetfield & Hammet coming onstage for the end of the Danzig set was one thing, but having Glenn Danzig singing Last Caress during Metallica's encore was the biz.

Can't get into Metallica's latest offerings, but Slayer's back catalogue gets a blast almost everyday while stuck in traffic

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

25-35 years
    18 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

45 +
    I was 13 when i discovered Rush, and that was 5 years after their first release.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

46, it all started at the Macroom festival in the 70s with Rory and Wishbone Ash and the rest, although The Blues Band with Paul Jones stole the festival one year for me. I have to be honest I haven't a clue about most of the bands that get mentioned today, I'm just an old rocker who is looking forward to some great gigs this year.:)

45 +
    Being 39, the best gig I've been at has been Metallica at the Top Hat with Danzig supporting during the Blind Justice Tour. Seeing Hetfield & Hammet coming onstage for the end of the Danzig set was one thing, but having Glenn Danzig singing Last Caress during Metallica's encore was the biz.

Can't get into Metallica's latest offerings, but Slayer's back catalogue gets a blast almost everyday while stuck in traffic

Them were days, was there, master of puppets tour was amazing too.

45 +
    NIBBS wrote: »
    Amen :-)

I've no doubt that there's a load of people that post on the various message boards that know each other but have no idea who they are talking to online :-)

holy **** - now you are bringing me back, we've seen that bar move to everywhere in the place except the entrance door........I remember when the jacks was downstairs in the Rock bar too......I know a lad that attacked it one night because he thought it was laughing at him (gas does strange things to the mind).......

Well i'll tell you what nibbs, if you and lucan go to the meet i might just not feel like a predator and go myself!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

45 +
    Well i'll tell you what nibbs, if you and lucan go to the meet i might just not feel like a predator and go myself!!!!!!

I'll go for the laugh. Fly the flag for veteran rockers!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

45 +
    Qualified for the fourth group this week. Feeling auld.

I started listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard when I was 12. First gig was Bon Jovi when I was 15.

As said above the older I get, I listen to more and varied genres of metal, i.e as a 17 year old " Oh my God do you listen to Deicide, they're Satanists"( No such thing as OMG:eek::eek::eek: when I was 17)

Now everything gets listened to regardless of genre ( emo is taking it a bit far tho....)

I met a school colleague last week who I hadn't seen in years who asked me did I still listen to metal.

"Yes" I answered proudly "And even more so than when I was in School" \m/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭dasdog

35-45 years
    I'm thirty three and proud of it! (Spider from Bad News). Well I'm actually thirty five and nearing another birthday. My little synopsis - older cousins playing Zeppelin/Deep Purple albums to me aged six (and early Elvis). Hearing Iron Maiden in fourth class (now that was something else). Spent my mid teens buried in thrash metal and then reverted to older rock/blues/funk/jazz/soul/techno/electronic etc in later years. I listen to jazz more than anything else now (as well as writing a lot of music of all sorts) but I'm still in touch with rock and metal which was part of my youth. And I finally went to see Slayer a few years ago who were the only band in the late 80's/early 90's I really regretted not seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

35-45 years
    I'm 25 and have been a metal fan since I was a young impressionable 13 year old who first picked up Metal Hammer with Jerry Cantrell on the cover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

35-45 years
    I think the poll is going to say more about which age groups use internet forums, than which age groups listen to metal. I'm in my late twenties and the majority of my friends are metalheads aged from late twenties to mid forties. However the older ones are less likely to answer questions like this on the internet, I think this poll will give a false result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

25-35 years
    19, 20 in August.

I saw Bon Jovi on that chart show that used to play on Rte 2 on Saturday mornings.. rocked out to that. Got a voucher for Golden Discs when I was 12, bought Slipknot's Iowa, then my parents got Sky Digital so I spent every single day after school watchin Kerrang and goin a lil mental in the livin room :)
    Only been to two gigs in my life, Soulfly in 2009 a few months after my 18th, Garcia plays Kyuss a few weeks ago there in ALT \m/
    Iv got tickets for Sepultura in the end of July, a ticket for Soulfly in August on the way, hopefully Ill make Brant Bjork in a few weeks.. and hey.. Soundgarden? if they come here, Ill be there :)
    I try not to just stick with one genre, but I really cant stand metalcore or emo stuff.. and whatever bullet for my valentine is considered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

25-35 years
    I think the poll is going to say more about which age groups use internet forums, than which age groups listen to metal. I'm in my late twenties and the majority of my friends are metalheads aged from late twenties to mid forties. However the older ones are less likely to answer questions like this on the internet, I think this poll will give a false result.
    Well that's technically the point here, it's to gauge the ages of the users of this particular subforum as opposed to a the ages of everyone that likes rock and/or metal.

Advertisement