Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age groups use Rock & Metal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

45 +
    43:eek:

All started with Bonn Scott and AC/DC and then progressed from there.
    Saw a **** load of gigs back in the day. When I think back on it I didnt realize how lucky I was.

Played drums in a couple of metal bands in the 80s, frequented Bruxelles and McGonagles every weekend.

I have a wide taste in music now, but rock/metal is my first love and my favourite genre by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

25-35 years
    I am 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Chris1966

45 +
    I'm 43, been listening to metal for nearly 30 years & don't intend stopping! Like NIBBS (Alright Stevo!) I've seen some fantastic gigs through the 80's, 90s & 00's so far. My 1st gig was Black Sabbath/Motorhead/Twisted Sister/Anvil/Mama's Boys in Dalymount Park
    28th August 1983! Last one was KISS & looking forward to Maiden next month & Y&T in Sept. I'm still listening to the old school metal bands that got me into this music & a few of "newer" bands! Metal is forever, not just Xmas!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

35-45 years
    i wonder who the oldest user is....

should be a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

AlcoholicA wrote: »

should be a prize.
    That reminds me, I must get my father to register and post on here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

AlcoholicA wrote: »

should be a prize.
    Going by the poll its betweem me,old gregg and redknik:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

35-45 years
    29 in age, 21 at heart:D

First piece of music I remember hearing on vinyl was a song by Bon Jovi, aged three:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Going by the poll its betweem me,old gregg and redknik:eek:

It cant be me, it just can't. :p. Competition at Iron Maiden or GNR for the old rockers so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

45 +
    Chris1966 wrote: »
    I'm 43, been listening to metal for nearly 30 years & don't intend stopping! Like NIBBS (Alright Stevo!) I've seen some fantastic gigs through the 80's, 90s & 00's so far. My 1st gig was Black Sabbath/Motorhead/Twisted Sister/Anvil/Mama's Boys in Dalymount Park
    28th August 1983! Last one was KISS & looking forward to Maiden next month & Y&T in Sept. I'm still listening to the old school metal bands that got me into this music & a few of "newer" bands! Metal is forever, not just Xmas!!!!!

Jaysus Git, forgot you were that old ;-)

great gig to start off with chief, will have to meet up before Maiden - think I'll take a half day and have a few sherberts :-)
    have me ticket for Y&T too, can't wait for that one.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

25-35 years
    24 and the love will never die. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

35 here. More enthusiatic about music than at any stage in my life, and was always a big fan, was always in metal, hard rock etc. My tastes have branched out a lot and certainly got more adventorous, even got mellowier as Ive gotten older, I can appreciate most types of genres bar the obvious bull like pop,jazz,opera. I even have a decent knowledge of Irish trad & folk by now, love outlaw American country music like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson.

Singer songwriters like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Steve Earle - well, I've devoured their back catalogues. Love the Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers Band, Drive By Truckers - jam band scene in US. Guess I never did pidgeonhole myself as a metaller even as a kid as I used to listen to The Doors, Floyd, Stones, Prince, Pentangle even.

I guess I dont keep too up to date with recent metal, more attend to my old favourites.

I still buy 2-3 cd's a week, which reflects the bizzare combination of my music collection.

Nick Drake is just as likely to get a spin as Slayer is.

Music is an endless love affair, metal is just one side of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

35-45 years
    I`m 26. I envy the chap that said he was glad he was 35, as he saw a ton of cool bands. I wish I was ten years older in regard to music as I feel like I missed out on the possibility to see so many great gigs. My dad went to see Thin Lizzy and Peter Green (when he was still lucid) and I reckon I`d have been better off being born in `74 rather than `84.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

25-35 years
    18 - love everything and anything, including metal :)

35-45 years
    mentally, most of time im about 12.
    but then when im in supercool pub/club and theyre playing rhianna and other supercool music at a volume that would make an empty chair bleed i feel about 70

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

25-35 years
    eMObANDIT wrote: »
    Fags listen torock and metal. Plus fat and bald queers.
    What is the explicit difference between a fag and a queer?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

25-35 years
    eMObANDIT wrote: »
    Fags listen torock and metal. Plus fat and bald queers.

Glad to see you have been so constructive with all 9 of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

25-35 years
    one is for smoking and the other is flaming, apparently :P

anyway, obvious troll is obvious!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

25-35 years
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    one is for smoking and the other is flaming, apparently :P

anyway, obvious troll is obvious!

Indeed it is. Seems to have issues with religion and Mayo too, going by the other posts they made.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

25-35 years
    I'll have him know that queers rock pretty flippin' hard! \m/

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

25-35 years
    I'll have him know that queers rock pretty flippin' hard! \m/
    And fags don't? :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

35-45 years
    eMObANDIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

25-35 years
    ^
    haha thats exactly the image that comes to mind alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

25-35 years
    One would think eMObANDIT is part of the groups of emo's that always congregate at the square in Dublin, near Foggy Dew.

A bunch of kids with nothing to do but stand around and try to look interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

45 +
    I was on the bus into town last night for the Slash gig and i had some 16/17 year old sitting opposite staring me out of it for ages(i'd a Metallica t-shirt on). After 15 minutes he comes out with the immortal line of "Are you not too old for that?". I pissed myself laughing!:D

Simple reply: "You're never too old to Rock!":)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I was on the bus into town last night for the Slash gig and i had some 16/17 year old sitting opposite staring me out of it for ages(i'd a Metallica t-shirt on). After 15 minutes he comes out with the immortal line of "Are you not too old for that?". I pissed myself laughing!:D

Simple reply: "You're never too old to Rock!":)
    I've encountered that before. For some reason some people seem to think that Rock/Metal fans are just going through a phase and will grow out of it. I don't understand why that is. The bands I loved when I was 16/17 are still the same bands that I love now, there's just a whole lot more bands in that category for me :).

I'd probably still be wearing the same Metallica t-shirts too if my mother hadn't thrown them all out ten years ago using the excuse of just tidying up when I'd gone to the USA on a J1.

45 +
    Malice_ wrote: »
    I've encountered that before. For some reason some people seem to think that Rock/Metal fans are just going through a phase and will grow out of it. I don't understand why that is. The bands I loved when I was 16/17 are still the same bands that I love now, there's just a whole lot more bands in that category for me :).

I'd probably still be wearing the same Metallica t-shirts too if my mother hadn't thrown them all out ten years ago using the excuse of just tidying up when I'd gone to the USA on a J1.

I think my own father is still scratching his head at how i never grew out "that phase"!:D

For some reason it's seen as a young thing,part of teen rebellion. I mainly listen to old stuff,the stuff i got into in the late 80's/early 90's. If anything i'm getting more metal as i get older,checking out old bands i'd never really heard before. For instance,i only got into Venom about 2 years ago but they're around since the late 70's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

45 +
    Hehe, anyone else remember having to go to Fitzgeralds in Thomas Street to buy the good ol' tight black stretchy canvas jeans.:D

45 +
    Hehe, anyone else remember having to go to Fitzgeralds in Thomas Street to buy the good ol' tight black stretchy canvas jeans.:D

I used to wear them for years,along with the proper biker jacket(not the shiny polished Bros style ones!). Problem was,after a gig spent moshing and getting all sweaty your legs would be black and you had to peel the jeans off you!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

It was The Dandelion Market for me:D:D

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    For some reason it's seen as a young thing,part of teen rebellion.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's like other people believe that once you hit your twenties you're going to cut your hair, start dressing sensibly and listen to Newstalk on the way to work rather than Appetite for Destruction. My twenties are well behind me and I haven't done any of those things yet :).

Advertisement