Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you say motivated during PhD?

• 16-06-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I’m over 2 years into my research PhD (chemistry) and I’ve hit a motivation wall. I’ve just lost all interest in it. I can’t bring myself to read papers anymore and Id rather watch paint dry than go into the lab.
    I really do want to complete it, but I don’t know how to snap out of this feeling I have, it doesn’t help that I don’t get on with my supervisor either. I just have zero respect for him, personally or professionally.
    Please say I’m not alone in feeling this way? How are you or have you dealt with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi alexa5x5,

I know how you feel. I had lots of motivation problems but got through them in the end.

I replied to a similar thread in the Postgraduate forum here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65063810&postcount=2

Here's the full thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055864003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ronom

Happens to everyone doing a PhD, I found that the hardest part. Only advice I have is to put the head down, work really hard and try and get it over with. It will eventually pay off, stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

I'll play devil's advocate - I quit my PhD after 2 years due to a similar issue - the research was initially interesting, but after a few twists and turns, the direction changed and my interest waned. I liked my supervisor, but I realised that my PhD was no longer interesting me. I wasn't doing it for a title, or a piece of paper - I wanted to research in an area I found interesting. I eventually left, and got a job - never looked back. The hardest thing - telling my supervisor - I felt like a five year old again - however he took it well and even helped get me out into the world of working.

Ask yourself the big question - WHY do you want to complete the PhD? If you want the title/prestige/piece of paper, or if you have aspirations for further research/work in your field, then go for it. Otherwise, think long and hard about whether its a good idea to continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

Everyone suffers from this! You are definitely not alone. Soon the lack of motivation will be replaced by THE FEAR when you realise you are running out of funding and everyone in the lab seems to be finishing up and publishing.. and then out of nowhere the motivation returns! :D
    If you want further proof check out the postgraduateforum.com where you'll find several students in the same boat. I found it a great help and was quite relieved to find others suffering the same thing.
    Do take some time out and remember to see friends and have some down time. It will help rejuvenate you and will probably help you get back on track :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    I’m over 2 years into my research PhD (chemistry) and I’ve hit a motivation wall. I’ve just lost all interest in it. I can’t bring myself to read papers anymore and Id rather watch paint dry than go into the lab.
    I really do want to complete it, but I don’t know how to snap out of this feeling I have...
    I'd agree with the previous poster - it sounds like, at the very least, you need to take a break. You might as well - no point wasting your time in a lab if you're not being productive.
    alexa5x5 wrote: »
    ...it doesn’t help that I don’t get on with my supervisor either. I just have zero respect for him, personally or professionally.
    Do you genuinely feel this way about your supervisor? Or is this just a reflection of your general mood towards your research? Because if you have so little respect for your supervisor, you might consider cutting your losses and just writing up an MPhil. It would be difficult to produce a PhD thesis with a supervisor whom you apparently despise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement