Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is moshing an art form?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I would say it isn't and it can be quite annoying to have some lad moshing around me when all I want to do is check out a band. I shouldn't have to stand at the back either.
    I was at ISIS recently and up the front, and some guy moshing in front of me ruined it for me...
    I do like a good pogo though....
    I'm a boring auld fart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Why would someone mosh to ISIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

seachto7 wrote: »
    I would say it isn't and it can be quite annoying to have some lad moshing around me when all I want to do is check out a band. I shouldn't have to stand at the back either.
    I was at ISIS recently and up the front, and some guy moshing in front of me ruined it for me...
    I do like a good pogo though....
    I'm a boring auld fart

+1 Cant beat an ould pogo :D

Moshing though is homoeroticism at its finest, loads of sweaty men grinding, pushing up against and falling on top of one another paying little attention to the band. Douches engaging in it ruin many a concert i must say

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Moshing isnt an art form IMO, If you dont like someone moshing in front of you then either stand at the front to the side or push through to the very front so the moshing will be going on behind you.
    It goes hand in hand with heavy aggressive music and I reckon if you dont like it sit upstairs if possible or stand well back. Its a jungle out there

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Art Form-Dont think so
    Part and parcel of a Rock or Metal gig-Definately!
    And invariably,its mostly up the front.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I must say I do like observing mosh pits from afar, and can imagine it must be a rush for any band to have a crowd go off for you like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

great craic with a few tins in ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I wouldn't call it an art-form but there is something magical about watching a proper pit in action. Unfortunately these days most kids can't mosh properly and don't know the 'rules'. I won't say any more as this thread will get moved to Ranting & Raving if i do!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I find it very hard not to go mental if im full of Jagermeister & vodka :D and its a death/blackmetal gig and the adrenaline is running, but I do agree with a previous poster there are alot of younger ones who dont understand how the pit works they either get really hurt or just throw punches like idiots also said earlier there are always spots to see the band away from the chaos, like the front of the stage and the sides!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

it's good fun. OP, it just happens up the front I'm afraid. if you don't want to be involved, stay back-the sound is usually better a little bit further back anyway(in my experience) :D. I agree with the dude who said that it's part of a gig really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

lord lucan wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it an art-form but there is something magical about watching a proper pit in action. Unfortunately these days most kids can't mosh properly and don't know the 'rules'. I won't say any more as this thread will get moved to Ranting & Raving if i do!:pac:

I had tought I would never been in a 'proper' mosh again, I agree there are a lot of 'kids' who don't know how to behave, but the experience at RATM was awesome and very old skool and it wasn't just up da front.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Moshing an art form... no way José...

Depends on the gig too. Extreme bands, yeah... Mosh away.

Who the fúck tries to get a mosh pit going at a Def Leppard gig??? Piss off away from me, you drunken fool!!!:mad::mad:

I'm a cranky git, btw!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What an odd thread. Presumably lovers of ballet would class ballet as an art form and moshing is also a form of dancing so I guess there is a tenuous connection there. Personally I can't stand mosh pits and I try to avoid them whenever possible due to the fact that I wear glasses and am blind as a bat without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Look, just cause I've cracked my skull on a pillar for the fourth time and I'm covered in the sweat of 7 different men... doesn't mean I'm not listenin to the band!

The cheek of your assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Malice_ wrote: »
    Personally I can't stand mosh pits and I try to avoid them whenever possible due to the fact that I wear glasses and am blind as a bat without them.

That doesn't stop me :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't consider it an art form, I just consider it all good fun. I hate that hardcore dancing crap though, acting like a damn windmill or kicking out randomly. I remember once at a gig, just some local bands, this huge fella was doing that, ended up hitting a girl in the face. Running shoulder to the stomach stopped him.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    That doesn't stop me :D
    It usen't stop me either until I was at a gig in Sally Longs in Galway a few years ago and got my glasses broken when someone decided to wrap their arm around my head. I had to drive home only able to see out of one eye :o. It was a very slow nerve-wracking journey and also expensive to replace the stupid glasses so I figured discretion would be the better part of valour and I'd be more careful in future :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

Denny M wrote: »
    I don't consider it an art form, I just consider it all good fun. I hate that hardcore dancing crap though, acting like a damn windmill or kicking out randomly. I remember once at a gig, just some local bands, this huge fella was doing that, ended up hitting a girl in the face. Running shoulder to the stomach stopped him.

right, thats hilarious

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Granted they are doing a piss-take there, that is the general idea behind hardcore dancing in pits sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

id say its a little bit of art form swingin elbows but trying not too hit the other people unless its an agressive one to which ive been in at a few slayer gigs in my time ,some gigs though you dont have a choice the last slayer show i saw the whole venue was goin nuts i was up front at the barrier but still limbs flying left right and centre ,and anyone who was at that sham of a ratm gig theres another example but most at that were just jumping around and falling on people ..i do like the hardcore moves if anyones familar with those some moshing and the accsional pickin up change and that lark seen some guy doin stuff like that at the pro pain gig

the wall of death classic

• Advertisement

holy s**t this looks mental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Tools throwin kicks and digs.. flyin elbows and the like, fúck right off. I love the friendly pits, the ones where bodies are flyin and everyones bouncin off each other, but at the same time lookin out for one another and there for a good time, not to break someones nose or knock out teeth.

Is it an art-form? Id say so, the way a pit looks from the balcony, when theres not much space between the bodies and the odd crowd surfer, ya cant beat it.. its class :)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Malice_ wrote: »
    It usen't stop me either until I was at a gig in Sally Longs in Galway a few years ago and got my glasses broken when someone decided to wrap their arm around my head. I had to drive home only able to see out of one eye :o. It was a very slow nerve-wracking journey and also expensive to replace the stupid glasses so I figured discretion would be the better part of valour and I'd be more careful in future :).
    Wear contacts to gigs and mosh away:D

Tools throwin kicks and digs.. flyin elbows and the like, fúck right off. I love the friendly pits, the ones where bodies are flyin and everyones bouncin off each other, but at the same time lookin out for one another and there for a good time, not to break someones nose or knock out teeth.

Is it an art-form? Id say so, the way a pit looks from the balcony, when theres not much space between the bodies and the odd crowd surfer, ya cant beat it.. its class :)

yea those ones are good ,there is always the few who want to ruin the fun by thrown digs and that which is sh**ty ,it is great to watch from the balconys though especially that wall of death thing ,got caught in one once but dont think i want to have a go again

Wear contacts to gigs and mosh away:D
    I used to wear contacts but the bastard things made my eyes hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Moshing can be great fun, like at the Rage gig recently, but I have seem some where people are just too drunk and take offence when you bump into them in the pit. I also wish that people would not take their shirt off in the pit. I really do not want to be re-enacting that scene from Along Came Polly all night!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

my pit days r over i reckon. always the possibility to get carried away though, now i just like stand on the fringes acting as supervisor. neither in nor out

if someone's actin the prick thats what draws me, i love squarin up to em the hard stare the pointed finger 'try that again pal'.. w/ a smoke n a drink such a poser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Try it out sometime, you might enjoy it. Personally, I love it - once it's the right kind of gig.
    Why people were moshing at an Isis gig is beyond me. Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Try it out sometime, you might enjoy it. Personally, I love it - once it's the right kind of gig.
    Why people were moshing at an Isis gig is beyond me. Strange.

that#s what I was thinking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement