Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission letter wording

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Is there any particular format in which the permission letter from a land owner has to be worded to satisfy the Garda? Or will something along the lines of the following do:

To Whom It May Concern,

I, Joe Bloggs, herby give permission to John Smith to shoot game and pest on my farm lands at SuchAndSuchAPlace. Permission to shoot is by invitation only and no Gun Club has use of the lands.

Sincerly,
    Joe Bloggs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Scruff wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is there any particular format in which the permission letter from a land owner has to be worded to satisfy the Garda? Or will something along the lines of the following do:

To Whom It May Concern,

I, Joe Bloggs, herby give permission to John Smith to shoot game and pest on my farm lands at SuchAndSuchAPlace. Permission to shoot is by invitation only and no Gun Club has use of the lands.

Sincerly,
    Joe Bloggs

I would not even mention the gunclub bit.( I don't feel it is necessary, unless specified by your local FO )

I have written several of these forms for folk and got father uncles etc to sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

agree with tac ;) just leave out the gun club bit,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

While the gun club might tell you you cant shoot on so and so's land as they have the permissions if the so and so who owns the land give you permission then you can shoot away, I generally type out a permission letter for them and get them to sign it, the less they have to do the better for them, if they have land in a few areas include all the townlands and maybe the acreage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

copy and paste this

Permission to shoot .22 caliber rifles on lands.

Name ______________________________________________________
    Address__________________________________________________________

I hereby give Clive J permission to shoot his .22 rifles for the control of vermin on my lands at the
    above address. My lands are used for the farming of cattle and sheep. These lands
    are away from the public roads and the fields are divided by hedges.

Signed __________________________________________ Date______________

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I keep it vague with just 'permission to shoot', i don't elaborate on whether or not its a shotgun or a rifle TBH.

I always include the folio numbers and state the town land where this folio is found. I also include a contact number for the registered owner.

I dont know if it OTT but this is one i have used before:confused:

Land permission for hunting and shooting.
    Date: June 2010-06-16.

Land owner: Pat kennnneeey.
    Folio Number._________________________
    Land location: Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Contact details: Pat keeenneey, Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Phone ___________________

Entitled shooter: Johny Oneshot.
    Contact details: Johny Oneshot, Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Phone____________________________

Grant of permission:
    To whom it may concern I, xxxxx xxxxx of Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny, give permission to Johny Oneshot of Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny, to shoot on my lands for the purpose of sport shooting as dictated by the Irish law, namely that of the 1976 wildlife act(and subsequent acts) and all current firearms legislation.
    By the action of granting this permission I make it know here that accept no responsibility for Johny Oneshot's actions or the consequences of those action.

Pat Keeennneey__________________________________- Date__________________
    johny Oneshot___________________________________- Date__________________

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I keep it vague with just 'permission to shoot', i don't elaborate on whether or not its a shotgun or a rifle TBH.

I always include the folio numbers and state the town land where this folio is found. I also include a contact number for the registered owner.

I dont know if it OTT but this is one i have used before:confused:

Land permission for hunting and shooting.
    Date: June 2010-06-16.

Land owner: Pat kennnneeey.
    Folio Number._________________________
    Land location: Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Contact details: Pat keeenneey, Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Phone ___________________

Entitled shooter: Johny Oneshot.
    Contact details: Johny Oneshot, Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny.
    Phone____________________________

Grant of permission:
    To whom it may concern I, xxxxx xxxxx of Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny, give permission to Johny Oneshot of Backofbeyond, yak yak, Co Kilkenny, to shoot on my lands for the purpose of sport shooting as dictated by the Irish law, namely that of the 1976 wildlife act(and subsequent acts) and all current firearms legislation.
    By the action of granting this permission I make it know here that accept no responsibility for Johny Oneshot's actions or the consequences of those action.

Pat Keeennneey__________________________________- Date__________________
    johny Oneshot___________________________________- Date__________________

lord that is a mouthful

I write, John can shoot on my lands at...... dated and signed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

........I write, John can shoot on my lands at...... dated and signed.

Something similar.
    I, (land owners name) hereby give permission for (shooters name) to shoot on all lands owned by me.

(Landowners signature)

(Shooters signature)

Date.

Worked all these years and even on the new application. Remember **"K.I.S.S." - Keep It Simple Stupid**. Do not withhold information, but going into too much detail and law, etc, etc can backfire or come back to haunt you.

**Not insulting anyone there, before anyone gets the hump. Just a saying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Something similar.

Worked all these years and even on the new application. Remember **"K.I.S.S." - Keep It Simple Stupid**. Do not withhold information, but going into too much detail and law, etc, etc can backfire or come back to haunt you.

Well no humps here:D I only threw it together and it seemed to make landowners happy when they read it before they signed it..:)..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Each to their own lad. If it works keep it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

lord that is a mouthful

I write, John can shoot on my lands at...... dated and signed.

I dont think it too bad..:D

Most of the old farmers in my hunting territories have that same permission sheet as i helped a good few lads fill in the forms... Good PR opportunity for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

ezridax wrote: »
    Something similar.

K.I.S.S is a rule that everyone should follow!

The wording of my permission letter was simply "I give permission to WallysWorld to shoot on my land. Signed Farmer X"

This in my opinion covers everything they need to know, it doesn't matter what type of shooting you do on the land as long as you have the consent of the relevant people. Simple as that in my opinion.

As an aside the Garda in question knew the farmer in question so I didnt need to put down the location but this should probably be extra to their requirements anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

This is what I write:
    My Name,
    My Address,
    My telephone number.

Date.

To whom it may concern:

I hereby give So-and-so of Such-a-place, permission to shoot over my lands at My-place (comprising approximately this-many-acres/this-many-hectares, Folio No. ABC123), near Hometown, Co. Someplace.

Signed,
    Me.
    I've never heard of anyone having any difficulty with it or having to come back to me for more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Sent in my application forms 5 weeks ago and gards got back to me looking for permission letters or gun club membership info. have the gun club sorted and 2 letters but they both have around 30 acres each which the gard said is prob not big enough for rifles! any advise??? or any1 that can sort me out with permission letters from bigger farms would be a great help!! i know the gun club membership is enough but he said the super would be happier with both!

Sent in my application forms 5 weeks ago and gards got back to me looking for permission letters or gun club membership info. have the gun club sorted and 2 letters but they both have around 30 acres each which the gard said is prob not big enough for rifles! any advise??? or any1 that can sort me out with permission letters from bigger farms would be a great help!! i know the gun club membership is enough but he said the super would be happier with both!

Firstly I'm afraid that i can't help you with shooting permissions but this is you Q to troll for permissions adjacent to existing permissions. Tell the two land owners your predicament and ask if they could point you in the right direction or they might even have a word with some other farmers. TBH its alway best to do your own dirty work..

It is laughable, this crazy carry on! with garda saying 30 acre (30 x 2 farms=60??) is not enough. I have permission from lads for a field here and a field there and some are only 5 or 6 acres big yet I shoot there safely.
    I have seen some small fields alive with rabbits;)

Best of luck with your permission hunting!
    Play the sympathy card when you can and side with landowners by complaining about licencing system, its a fresh subject in their heads. Offer to help land owners out who have not yet completed new forms.
    Ask about vermin problems. Watch out for farms with Chickens running around...;)
    You'll do well-
    but remember farmers are generally best caught after the evenings milking and be sure to stay out of ear shot of the farmers wife..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Thanks for the advise!! just there at lunch time a local farmer came in to pay for a car he bought off me last week. 60 acres letter signed, happy days! one more now and im laughin.

Advertisement