Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yup, I left the PS3 on most nights while I slept. Just really bad internet in my area. I also noticed that U3 had 4 files, the mian game, 2d movie, 3d movie and Multiplayer, all added up to 40gb, I didnt download the 3d movie file as that was crazy 12gb :eek:.

Just to remind, I am new to PS+ downloads so go easy please ;)

I don't want to go too OT on this but lets do a VERY quick test. Please do the following when PC/Laptop is wired and wireless.

1. Start -> Run
    2. Type CMD and click OK
    3. In the black box that opens [The command prompt "DOS box"] type "ping -n 100 www.boards.ie" without the quotes
    4. Post back here or PM me with the final four or so lines of each output. They will look similar to
    Ping statistics for 89.234.66.107:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 19, Lost = 1 (5% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 17ms

Again, do this for wired and wireless connection, so you will be giving me two results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ah lads if you are right beside the router why not use wired. Miles better. Getting 15 mb now compared to 2 wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

RangeR wrote: »
    I don't want to go too OT on this but lets do a VERY quick test..

Cool, will try this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Ah lads if you are right beside the router why not use wired. Miles better. Getting 15 mb now compared to 2 wireless.

That makes no sense to me at all (not doubting you btw) there must be something weird up with the PS3 wifi in general. It uses 802.11g which should support up to 54Mbps, now I know that kind of speed is a pipe dream and your never going to get it but I can get around 5 out of my 7Mbps connection over wifi to my laptop.

Also the speeds are really inconsistent, like yesterday I posted about Payday (2.5 GB) taking 11 hours to download then the patch (3.2 GB) downloading in about 3 hours.

EGriff wrote: »
    That makes no sense to me at all (not doubting you btw) there must be something weird up with the PS3 wifi in general. It uses 802.11g which should support up to 54Mbps, now I know that kind of speed is a pipe dream and your never going to get it but I can get around 5 out of my 7Mbps connection over wifi to my laptop.

Also the speeds are really inconsistent, like yesterday I posted about Payday (2.5 GB) taking 11 hours to download then the patch (3.2 GB) downloading in about 3 hours.

We are going way OT now and this has been argued to death on thousands of threads where users argue wifi over wired. The fact of the matter is that by using WIFI, you bring in an element of doubt. EVEN if PC feet away has a great connection. There is still doubt. 99% of that doubt disappears on wired connections.

I have no problem with WIFI, I use it all the time. however, when trouble shooting issues, WIFI should be the first to be eliminated. There are too many external factors that can interfere with it. Once troubleshooting has been done, then re-introduce WIFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

RangeR wrote: »
    I don't want to go too OT on this but lets do a VERY quick test. Please do the following when PC/Laptop is wired and wireless.

1. Start -> Run
    2. Type CMD and click OK
    3. In the black box that opens [The command prompt "DOS box"] type "ping -n 100 www.boards.ie" without the quotes
    4. Post back here or PM me with the final four or so lines of each output. They will look similar to

Again, do this for wired and wireless connection, so you will be giving me two results.

Thanks for all of that. I will do that tonight when I get home from work.

Sure why would I do that when I have my phone, wiiu, xbox and laptop contected to the wireless along with the ps3? albeit, not at the same time, but pluging in wires and taking them out all the time seems like a lot of hassle.

Anyway I'll do that test tonight :)

Thanks for all the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Our router is dirt (upc) and my ps3 is upstairs and router is downstairs. Thst may explain the difference in speeds for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Battlefield 3 is up. Get to it :)

Oh and downloading the 1 hour trial in advanced work. Only had to activate it and its all ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Links to the 'free' games if you want to 'purchase' them from the online store.

Payday - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/payday-the-heist/cid=EP0017-NPEA00331_00-KPAYDAYGAME00000

Battlefield 3 - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/battlefield-3-/cid=EP0006-NPEB00723_00-BF30000000000000

Saints Row 3 - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/saints-row-the-third/cid=EP1005-NPEB00890_00-SAINTSROWTHIRD01

Another week, another sale. Starting today is the
    Apocalyptic Sale

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/07/03/apocalyptic-sale-blows-up-on-playstation-store-today/

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD
    Was €12.99/£10.99, now €8.99/£7.29

Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD
    Was €8.99/£7.29, now €5.99/£4.79

Oddworld: Stranger Boxx
    Was €17.99/£13.99, now €12.99/£9.99

I Am Alive
    Was €14.99/£11.99, now €7.99/£6.49

Quantum Theory
    Was €29.99/£19.99, now €12.99/£9.99

Armageddon Riders
    Was €9.99/£7.99, now €4.99/£3.99

DOOM 3 BFG Edition
    Was €39.99/£29.99, now €21.99/£17.99

Dead Space
    Was €19.99/£15.99, now €9.99/£7.99

Dead Space Super Bundle
    Was €29.99/£19.99, now €14.99/£11.99

Dead Space Extraction
    Was €14.99/£11.99, now €7.99/£6.49

Dead Space Ignition
    Was €4.99/£3.99, now €2.99/£2.39

Dead Space 2
    Was €29.99/£19.99, now €14.99/£11.99

Dead Space 2 Super Bundle
    Was €49.99/£39.99, now €23.99/£19.69

Dead Space 3
    Was €69.99/£59.99, now €29.99/£19.99

The Last Guy
    Was €7.99/£6.49, now €3.99/£3.19

Dead Nation
    Was €12.99/£9.99, now €6.49/£5.19

TOKYO JUNGLE
    Was €12.99/£9.99, now €9.99/£7.99

MotorStorm Apocalypse
    Was €14.99/£11.99, now €7.49/£5.99

From Dust + I Am Alive bundle
    Was €21.99/£17.99, now €9.99/£7.99

Shoot Many Robots
    Was €9.99/£7.99, now €4.99/£3.99

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Was €14.99/£11.99, now €11.25/£8.89

Far Cry 3 + Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Was €39.99/£29.99, now €34.99/£24.99

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

Well guys, I've the 90 day subscription and any of these new games aren't coming up for me. Anyone else having this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Well guys, I've the 90 day subscription and any of these new games aren't coming up for me. Anyone else having this problem?

You can use the direct links that sheehy posted ^^^^ , or wait a while for the store to update the instant games section.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭donnbradman

James74 wrote: »
    You can use the direct links that sheehy posted ^^^^ , or wait a while for the store to update the instant games section.
    Perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Was going to post the same as donnbradman, that they're not showing up, but what did show up was the Online Pass and Physical Warfare Pack for BF3, and apparently i never "purchased" Uncharted 3 and LBP Karting! So now have all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Our router is dirt (upc) and my ps3 is upstairs and router is downstairs. Thst may explain the difference in speeds for me anyway.

You should get a set of these, I got them for the back room where my consoles and PC are, I'm on 30mb BB with UPC and get 25mbps vs 14mbps over wifi.

http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Networking/Trendnet/Trendnet-Powerline-200-AV-Nano-Adapter-Kit

Whats Payday?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Whats Payday?

Not bothered clicking a link a few posts before yours then?

F1ngers wrote: »
    Not bothered clicking a link a few posts before yours then?

Haha sorry, yeah I clicked on the link up above but its blocked in work here. Checked on Amazon and only Payday 2 is coming up and thats not out until August, so....

Haha sorry, yeah I clicked on the link up above but its blocked in work here. Checked on Amazon and only Payday 2 is coming up and thats not out until August, so....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payday:_The_Heist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Was just about to post the same link.

There's this thing called google...

Ah cool, thanks very much!

• Advertisement

Blink_Missed It posted this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85365824&postcount=954 about wifi - I've moved it to the PS3 t/s thread

This is just to prevent an off-topic ffa.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

F1ngers wrote: »
    Blink_Missed It posted this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85365824&postcount=954 about wifi - I've moved it to the PS3 t/s thread

This is just to prevent an off-topic ffa.

Cool, cool. Whatever works best. Had just put it up here as a saw a couple of guys on the previous pages getting slow speeds. Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone know the full size of the BF3 download.
    It says it's 12.3gb but does that include the updates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Added the new games, just put ;em on my DL list....its very long now. I doubt i'll ever get round to DLing or playing game.....PS+ is just too good not sometimes, ALL THE TIME!

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Anyone know the full size of the BF3 download.
    It says it's 12.3gb but does that include the updates?

The size is ALWAYS the initial download size. Updates are extra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

PayDay has a 3.5GB update. You have been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

All queued in for downloading now. Comcast BB speed will help hope to have all 3 done by tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Saints row 3 done in under 2 hours, no patches either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Just started downloading them, I must remember to move the ps3 into the room with the router and plug it in before I go to bed tonight. I'll be waiting until next week downloading over the wireless

On another note I gave Okami a proper go last night and I've found it to be really enjoyable. If you can get passed the annoying dialog and sound effect its actually a fun game. The first hour or two are a little annoying but once the world opens up it really comes to life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement