Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

this is probably a stupid question, but I am gonna be a new member of PS+ come November 29th. Where do you get the Irish PS+ cards? The only ones available on amazon are for UK accounts? And I can't find them on the gamestop website?

Thanks

You can get them on the Playstation store using a credit card, you can buy credit in a retailer and buy it on the store that way, or you can buy a PS+ card in a retailer (bricks & mortar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

30 seconds after I posted the above I found it on the gamestop website. €49.99 for 365 days. Is that the cheapest you can get it?

Keep an eye on adverts.ie too.
    Got 15 months for €35 there a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

sin0city wrote: »
    Keep an eye on adverts.ie too.
    Got 15 months for €35 there a while back.

Great tip :-)

Is there any difference between PS3 and PS4 versions of PS+ cards? Or is a PS+ card all the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

30 seconds after I posted the above I found it on the gamestop website. €49.99 for 365 days. Is that the cheapest you can get it?

best way is on the console as they often have offers ie. 25% off the price or the 15 months for price of 12 mentioned above. Between these offers and getting PSN credit cheap on adverts I've only paid full price for PS plus my first year, the other three were deals.

Is there any difference between PS3 and PS4 versions of PS+ cards? Or is a PS+ card all the one?

Ps plus is the same sub for all consoles; vita, ps3 and ps4. you are entitled to claim the games even if you don't own the console (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

All the one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hi,

this is probably a stupid question, but I am gonna be a new member of PS+ come November 29th. Where do you get the Irish PS+ cards? The only ones available on amazon are for UK accounts? And I can't find them on the gamestop website?

Thanks

You can also buy the UK cards if you want, It;s only split between Euro and US. Not sure about Oz etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

RasTa wrote: »
    You can also buy the UK cards if you want, It;s only split between Euro and US. Not sure about Oz etc

Oh very good, I should have just got it off Amazon so. Good to know all this. Thanks for all the answers/advice lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

RasTa wrote: »

Thought UK codes didn't work here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

CastorTroy wrote: »

You're right.
    They only work on a UK account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

CastorTroy wrote: »
    F1ngers wrote: »
    You're right.
    They only work on a UK account.

Yeah you just create one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Not a great month for the PS3, but i guess it can't be amazing every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

I'm kinda scared that PSN+ wouldnt be as good for ps3 anymore. December should have been a extra special month for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Kiith wrote: »
    Not a great month for the PS3, but i guess it can't be amazing every month.

It is been a blinder for months now.

They have one okayish month and people say the quality has gone.

I would not be surprised is they have a big one hidden as a christmas present.

The new way they are going it is 1 PS4, 2 PS3 and 2 Vita.

December they have 2 PS4, 2 PS3 and 2 Vita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

With how people will need PS+ to play online it wouldn't surprise me to see the quality drop. Still will wait and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

With how people will need PS+ to play online it wouldn't surprise me to see the quality drop.

Why would that happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

lertsnim wrote: »
    Why would that happen?

Because they know people will have to buy it anyway. They're basically guaranteed sales whereas before if the games were crap people wouldn't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Because they know people will have to buy it anyway. They're basically guaranteed sales whereas before if the games were crap people wouldn't pay.

PS+ Is not just about that games. It's about the other services. From her on in, with the "compulsory buy in", some of the money generated will be ring-fenced for enhancing infrastructure and services.

I doubt the quality of the games would drop. Developers [I think] got feck all money for them anyway. Since Instant Games Collection came on board, developers and publishers were using it to give away their old games about a month or two before they released the next in the series. It's a very cheap way of advertising to a huge audience - "We, this is what we do. Get to know the old game, maybe purchase the new one"

It's a marketing platform for the publishers [to a point], and free games for the consumer. It really is a win win all round.

In short, I wouldn't worry. **** will only get better :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

RangeR wrote: »
    PS+ Is not just about that games. It's about the other services. From her on in, with the "compulsory buy in", some of the money generated will be ring-fenced for enhancing infrastructure and services.

I doubt the quality of the games would drop. Developers [I think] got feck all money for them anyway. Since Instant Games Collection came on board, developers and publishers were using it to give away their old games about a month or two before they released the next in the series. It's a very cheap way of advertising to a huge audience - "We, this is what we do. Get to know the old game, maybe purchase the new one"

It's a marketing platform for the publishers [to a point], and free games for the consumer. It really is a win win all round.

In short, I wouldn't worry. **** will only get better :)

Uncharted on the Vita certainly didn't fall into that category. That was an outstanding way to start off my Vita collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

whiterebel wrote: »
    Uncharted on the Vita certainly didn't fall into that category. That was an outstanding way to start off my Vita collection.

Ah yeah. Of course there are exceptions to that rule. Thomas was alone would be another. Some indies go straight to PS+. Instant recognition. Marketing, marketing, marketing. But also, Sony pumps an amount of money into some of those indies. Maybe the trade off is that they agree to have their software placed in the IGN.

As for Uncharted, wasn't that a first party title? One could argue that was a promotional ploy to rustle up some Vita sales that were, to be honest, seriously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

When is Black Friday or whatever it's called? Don't we normally get big discounts on PSN games around then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

When is Black Friday or whatever it's called? Don't we normally get big discounts on PSN games around then?

Its this coming Friday. Black Friday is more an American shopping day, I don't recall there being discounts on the Irish store. But Heres hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Its this coming Friday. Black Friday is more an American shopping day, I don't recall there being discounts on the Irish store. But Heres hoping!

It's the 29th, not this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Black Friday is more an American shopping day, I don't recall there being discounts on the Irish store. But Heres hoping!

Ta, I remember buying a couple of heavily discounted games last year but maybe it was in the January sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Keep an eye on Gamestop and amazon.co.uk, both participate in black friday heavily. it seems to be picking up steam over here so it's worth keeping an eye out for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Don't forget Cyber/Mega Monday too. I remember discounts around then last year. More hollow marketing terms, but some discounts none the less..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Sorry if this has been talked about already .. if there is a thread can someone link me to it.

I had no idea about needing PS+ up until about 10 minutes ago.

Does this mean online gaming i.e multiplayer COD or BF4 will require a membership to PS+ ?

How much does it cost ?
    Is there a way to play online without it ?
    If I have to sign up and pay.. do you get anything extra from Playstation ?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

NeVeR wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been talked about already .. if there is a thread can someone link me to it.

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post
    Does this mean online gaming i.e multiplayer COD or BF4 will require a membership to PS+ ?

Yes
    How much does it cost ?

€49 for 12 months but there are fairly regular sales where you can stack up your membership.
    Is there a way to play online without it ?

Yes, if you play Free 2 Play titles like Warframe, DC Universe Online, War Thunder and Blacklight Retribution.
    If I have to sign up and pay.. do you get anything extra from Playstation ?

Free games every month as long as you stay subscribed, discounts on digital purchases on games, cloud storage for game saves, automatic patching for the system and games and a few more things I can't think of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Hi NeVeR,

According to the Playstation blog:http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/08/20/playstation-plus-on-ps4-the-revolution-continues/
    What do you need PS Plus for?
    To ensure that you are getting the most out of your PS4, PlayStation Plus is the only place where you can fully experience immersive online multiplayer play. With an ever growing community this is the ideal place to play with friends, meet fellow gamers and share your gaming experiences. All other features of PS Plus on PS4 will be exactly the same as the current service, including full access to video services for all.

I pay €49.99 per year for PlaystationPlus.

For this I get free game downloads (new ones every month), am able to store gamesaves on PSN servers and also I get discounts on games/add-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,840 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You need PS+ to play Online on any game.
    You get a free 2 weeks voucher with your PS4
    You can buy it directly from the PSN store here

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/home/games/psplus

1 month for 7 euro, 3 months for 15 euro or a year 50 euro.

You will get 3 - 5 free games a month between the PS3, PS4 and PS Vita.
    You get discounts on games on the PSN store and access to Beta's before non PS+ users.

It is completely worth it, I have around 8 AAA games that I got 'free' that I still have to play for PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think you do need PS+ to play online multiplayer (though other online features don't necessarily require it).

That being said, with PS+, you'll get free games every month for PS4, PS3 and Vita (choice varies. Some months are brilliant while some months aren't, but free is free). Free games for PS4 might not be great for the first few months as there's no back-catalogue to pull from, so they'll probably be short PS Store type games. But being a PS+ member also gives you discounts on games and DLC.

Most, if not all PS+ members think it's been great value for money and would have been continuing their PS+ subscription anyway.

As for cost, if I remember right it's €15 for 90 days, or €50 for 12 months. If you' have a PS3 and are keeping it for another while though, it's definitely worth the money. With some of the free games over the past year, it paid for itself about 5 times over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement