Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

TheGunns wrote: »
    Does anyone know what will happen to the PS+ games you get for free once Sony stops supporting it? Considering subscribing but I'm guessing when they stop supporting it (in 2/3 years) that the games will no longer be available to play at all in which case I would be better off sticking with boxed copies? Or would they just give away the games that you've accumulated over the time you were subscribed?

Not sure if this needs a separate thread but I thought this was the best place to ask

When did Sony say they were stopping support for PS+ in 2/3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

What indication have you had they will stop it? I very much doubt they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Does anyone know what will happen to the PS+ games you get for free once Sony stops supporting it? Considering subscribing but I'm guessing when they stop supporting it (in 2/3 years) that the games will no longer be available to play at all in which case I would be better off sticking with boxed copies? Or would they just give away the games that you've accumulated over the time you were subscribed?

Not sure if this needs a separate thread but I thought this was the best place to ask

Nobody knows. Chances are, you will not be able to download them again. Think of PS+ as Xtravision. You are not guaranteed permanent access to anything. You are, in effect, renting.

As mentioned before, this brings a wider problem of when Sony stop supporting the PS3. Will you be able to access ANY of the content that you purchased [regardless of PS+]? This point has never been talked about or even acknowledged by Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

3 years time from now you'll probably be able to pick a 50TB hdd for 100 quid, you could probably download everything ps+ ever gave you and keep it on that drive, and transfer as necessary

This is my optimistic and poorly thought through plan :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    3 years time from now you'll probably be able to pick a 50TB hdd for 100 quid, you could probably download everything ps+ ever gave you and keep it on that drive, and transfer as necessary

This is my optimistic and poorly thought through plan :D

Until that HDD fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭TheGunns

F1ngers wrote: »
    When did Sony say they were stopping support for PS+ in 2/3 years?

Well it's supposed to be a 10 year console life cycle so I'm basing it off that, could be longer and probably will be.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Nobody knows. Chances are, you will not be able to download them again. Think of PS+ as Xtravision. You are not guaranteed permanent access to anything. You are, in effect, renting.

As mentioned before, this brings a wider problem of when Sony stop supporting the PS3. Will you be able to access ANY of the content that you purchased [regardless of PS+]? This point has never been talked about or even acknowledged by Sony.
    That's kinda of how I thought it was, I dislike the idea that when they switch the PS3 servers off (which I assume they'll eventually have to) that I might not have the whole collection of stuff I'll have gotten on PS+. Still tempted to try it but I'm not sure if it's completely worth it given I might not get around to playing most of the games for some time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well it's supposed to be a 10 year console life cycle so I'm basing it off that, could be longer and probably will be.

Well, consodering ps2 is still knocking about 13 years after launch, I doubt theres much to worry about. Also with that new vita/tv thing they released earlier this year. The ps3 will still be around a while as a legacy styled device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

They will eventually discontinue the store support for the PS3, it won't be any time soon but I do think it'll happen. It's already happened with the original Xbox, though that wasn't quite the system we have in place today, but in ten or fifteen years will they keep the servers running to provide game content to a console a few generations old? I doubt it. Not that that'll bother most people, but being a collector, it does play on my mind when buying digitally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I think they will support PS3 for a number of years to come, with an install base of 80 million there is still money to be made from software. They more likelyspot making the hardware but continue to support PS3 on the software side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

jenjenten wrote: »
    I think they will support PS3 for a number of years to come, with an install base of 80 million there is still money to be made from software. They more likelyspot making the hardware but continue to support PS3 on the software side.

Of that there is no doubt, we're talking about maybe ten or more years down the road. Yes you can keep your content locked away on a hdd, but as said above, if that hdd fails & store support has ceased, your collection is basically lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

If I upgrade a digital game from ps3 to ps4, do I then lose access to the ps3 version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

phobia2011 wrote: »
    If I upgrade a digital game from ps3 to ps4, do I then lose access to the ps3 version ?

no if you upgrade online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

wcarey1975 wrote: »
    no if you upgrade online

Online- through pc or console?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Online- through pc or console?

TIA

Either. I bought the digital PS3 version of AC4 and then upgraded to AC4 for PS4 and I have both available. If you have the physical copy of the game you can upgrade (dont have the full list but its about 4-5 games) but can only use it on one system at a time as you need the disk in the system that you are playing.

W

Edit: Just wanted to add I bought the PS3 digital version through amazon and then upgraded to the PS4 version through the PS store website from my PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I had my PS Plus set to auto renew. My Sub was due to expire just before Xmas, and sure enough, Sony added €49.99 to my wallet from my Debit Card, and auto renewed my Sub. Great.

Now, however, I keep getting emails from Sony, telling my my Sub has expired, and all the reasons why I should renew. I was getting emails as well, after renewal, reminding me that my Sub was due to expire soon.

Anyone else experience this? I don't really want to unsubscribe from the Sony mailing list, but it's beginning to look like this might be the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I had my PS Plus set to auto renew. My Sub was due to expire just before Xmas, and sure enough, Sony added €49.99 to my wallet from my Debit Card, and auto renewed my Sub. Great.

Now, however, I keep getting emails from Sony, telling my my Sub has expired, and all the reasons why I should renew. I was getting emails as well, after renewal, reminding me that my Sub was due to expire soon.

Anyone else experience this? I don't really want to unsubscribe from the Sony mailing list, but it's beginning to look like this might be the only option.

Maybe try giving them a call first.

Playstation Support Number:
    Ireland: 0818 365065

sin0city wrote: »
    Maybe try giving them a call first.

Playstation Support Number:
    Ireland: 0818 365065

Or email for free and don't get raped by the premium rate number

help@uk.playstation.com
    They are very fast to respond. Usually within 8 to 24 hours. You can then request for them to call you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Or email for free and don't get raped by the premium rate number

help@uk.playstation.com
    They are very fast to respond. Usually within 8 to 24 hours. You can then request for them to call you.

Thanks. Didn't have an Irish support e-mail.

As far as I know that number is charged at national rates from a landline.
    I'm sure it is expensive from a mobile.

sin0city wrote: »
    Thanks. Didn't have an Irish support e-mail.

As far as I know that number is charged at national rates from a landline.
    I'm sure it is expensive from a mobile.

Yup. There is an Irish support address but replies come from the UK one.
    I don't have a landline. My calls were costing me about €15 per issue with PS. I switched to eMail pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Cheers guys, I've whipped an email off to them just now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

how else can you get an ps plus apart from a credit card because i dont have one and dont plan on getting one can you buy vouchers like you could in gamestop for ps store content

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Yeah. Head in to xtra-vision or gamestop etc. Buy €50 PSN card and buy PS+ out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭gep91

how else can you get an ps plus apart from a credit card because i dont have one and dont plan on getting one can you buy vouchers like you could in gamestop for ps store content

debit card or walk in to gamestop or HMV get psn card or try ebay for PSN codes

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

loads of places like hmv, smyths etc sell psn vouchers, or you can use paypal if you have that

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Has it already been mentioned what games we're getting this month for ps4?

I see it now...Dont starve

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Hey guys I just noticed that MGR Revengeance DLC (Sam and Bladewolf) is free on the US store. They made it free awhile back but not on the EU store. I downloaded the DLC and hopefully should work with the copy we got from PSN+. It should since I have downloaded free dlc from US store and worked on EU games I downloaded. That is all.

jaxdasher wrote: »
    Hey guys I just noticed that MGR Revengeance DLC (Sam and Bladewolf) is free on the US store. They made it free awhile back but not on the EU store. I downloaded the DLC and hopefully should work with the copy we got from PSN+. It should since I have downloaded free dlc from US store and worked on EU games I downloaded. That is all.

That will be all, when you come back and confirm that said US content works on the IRE game. It's by no means guaranteed.

That will be all, when you come back and confirm that said US content works on the IRE game. It's by no means guaranteed.

Yeah will do tonight. Each DLC is 2+gigs so I've left downloading for the day.

Well sorry guys doesnt work. I tried playing the game on my psn US account too. Too bad seeing as PS3 games are not region locked its odd that dlcs are. Very dissappoint. And that is truly all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

Well sorry guys doesnt work. I tried playing the game on my psn US account too. Too bad seeing as PS3 games are not region locked its odd that dlcs are. Very dissappoint. And that is truly all.

While almost no games are region locked, they are region specific (translations, etc). For example, search this page: http://www.sonyindex.com/Pages/PS3_Euro_Name.htm for "call" and you will find 6 different BLES codes (printed at the bottom of the spine of a game's cover) for Call of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare.

Generally speaking, at least from my own experiences, the DLC from a region's PSN Store will only work against a copy of the game from that region.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement