Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

diodaq wrote: »

No point in a 7200rpm drive in a PS3. A bog standard 5400 drive is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why are download times so absurdly slow on the PS3?

Apperently Bioshock Infinite will take 880 minutes to download? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Why are download times so absurdly slow on the PS3?

Apperently Bioshock Infinite will take 880 minutes to download? :confused::confused::confused:

It's probably your isp more then the PS3. It only took about 3-4 hours for me

Nope, I can download the same size file on my PC in under 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No it is the PS3 that is slow or to be more exact their servers. I was downloading Bioshock and Metro during the week and they were dog slow, where as my PS4 got the latest 1gb BF4 patch in 10mins. It took hours for the PS3 downloads, clearly Sony have more bandwidth for the PS4 servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

for me it took approximately 4 hours for both Bioshock and Metro.
    Ever sice eircom installed e-fibre, the download times for PSN have gone down a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Depends on the day and time that you download, right after the new plus games come out is a terrible time I did mine just there and got Bioshock done in bit over 2 hours.

Varik wrote: »
    Depends on the day and time that you download, right after the new plus games come out is a terrible time I did mine just there and got Bioshock done in bit over 2 hours.

So obviously it wasn't a terrible time for you.

I'm starting to remember why I sold my original PS3.

Tried it again and now the timer is at 80 mins :confused:

Cross your fingers and hope for the best seems the best approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Pausing the download and then immediately restarting helped me shave an average of an hour - 80 minutes off download times over the last 2 or so years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Pausing the download and then immediately restarting helped me shave an average of an hour - 80 minutes off download times over the last 2 or so years.

Plus 1 for this. Always seems to work for me too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭Robert Lawlor

Hi is Playstation + worth buying as im still not sure due to hearing good and bad things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hi is Playstation + worth buying as im still not sure due to hearing good and bad things about it.
    What could possibly be considered a bad thing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Well worth the money. I'm interested as to whyat's the bad things about PS+?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Only bad thing is lack of sleep due to playing all night, that's about it as far as I'm concerned

well i heard the games take ages to download for some reason and they get took away when your subscription goes do your just basically renting them. I could be wrong as i don't know to much about it and want to buy it just taught i would get some info first.

The need to buy a bigger hard drive I suppose could be construed as a negative, but think of all the lovely games that are available at the touch of a button.

The need to buy a bigger hard drive I suppose could be construed as a negative, but think of all the lovely games that are available at the touch of a button.

Yeah but it also takes away the fun of building your game collection and having the discs as im someone that likes to build and have it on show

Yeah but it also takes away the fun of building your game collection and having the discs as im someone that likes to build and have it on show

:confused: Not really. Sure the backlog will make you reconsider purchases due to time constraints, but you'll still buy the games you want. This gives you a chance to play games that you might not have the intention of buying. Hell, half the games I got from plus I probably own already. Doesn't stop me from wanting them stored on my PS3 as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

well i heard the games take ages to download for some reason and they get took away when your subscription goes do your just basically renting them. I could be wrong as i don't know to much about it and want to buy it just taught i would get some info first.

Well, what you're saying is true in terms of basically renting the games and some people have said they have issues with slow downloads but that it's not really an issue that's affected me. I started getting PS Plus with my Vita back in Dec 2012 and I haven't lapsed it since because I think it's extraordinarily good value. I picked up a P3 in the january sales and with Plus I had basically 5 games to download to use for the cost of the subcription from the get go. I'm only kicking myself that I didn't purchase every PS3 games during the year or else I would have had a ton of games to download now. That's not a mistake I'm going to make with the PS4 so I'm purchasing every game for it so that if, a very big if, I ever get the 4 I'll have a massive library of games to use with it. Add in PS Plus discounts when purchasing some games and it really works out as good value for money.

The only thing I would say is make sure you have unlimited broadband because some of the games can be anywhere from 5-14GB with Uncharted 3 being roughly 28GB once you downloaded the Multiplayer and 2d Movies you need to run the Single Player Campaign.

• Advertisement

:confused: Not really. Sure the backlog will make you reconsider purchases due to time constraints, but you'll still buy the games you want. This gives you a chance to play games that you might not have the intention of buying. Hell, half the games I got from plus I probably own already. Doesn't stop me from wanting them stored on my PS3 as well.

good point i would still buy the games i want and would just be a bonus getting free ones that i can download at the touch of a button.
    I may purchase this today if i can take time out of playing gran turismo :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Its not stopping you doing that. You could avoid getting plus and do this but you would be paying for every game. You would only purchase the ones you really wanted because you are paying full price for them. Or you could pay the annual fee of plus (less than 1 full price game) and get loads of games for the year. Dont really see any disadvantage to plus at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's IMO important to view plus as a supplement to the games you buy, rather than a full-on replacement. If everyone suddenly decided to stop buying games and just wait for the PS Plus release instead, well then that would be a very dangerous mindset indeed that could potentially have a knock on effect on the quality and commercial viability of certain game. It's still important to buy interesting, high quality games and support the developers (although Sony are making that ****ing difficult on PS4 at the moment!). None of us can (well, maybe some of you can :pac:) afford to buy everything, and to me PS Plus is a way to experience a good few games you might have missed or simply not gotten around to. But I'll still buy and play games I really want to, and won't feel hard done by if they pop up on Plus a few months later. And even though the benefits of the service definitively outweigh the negatives at the moment, it's still nice to have a physical collection you know you'll be able to play regardless of whatever happens to Plus in the future.

Worked a treat. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Has any one played and finished each and every PS plus game?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I highly doubt it, but then again you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nope, but have them all in my download list, although will never get around to playing even half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭beercr8te

Anybody desperate like me don't order PS Plus from littlewoods, they will send you codes for the uk service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

outlast is due today on ps4...isnnyt it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

beercr8te wrote: »
    Anybody desperate like me don't order PS Plus from littlewoods, they will send you codes for the uk service.

sorry to hear that, :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement