Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Honestly, it's impressive we're getting any PS4 games at all at the moment, let alone one a month. PS3 and even Vita have the benefit of having been around for a while now, ensuring there's a steady stream of back catalogue titles to be dished out (at this point, I'd wager they're even running short). PS4 hasn't that luxury, and won't for a good while yet. It must be costing Sony a small fortune to be paying the developers for an immediate PSN Plus release - with less than a euro per game per user, they must be footing the significant bill to keep these small independent developers satsified (plus they don't have the luxury of DLC and the likes bigger publishers would to make up some of the difference) with their deal. Why in the name of god would they agree to give their game away for 'free' otherwise? As for the bigger titles, clearly they're still profitable - it's usually the guts of a year - on average - before PS3 games end up on PS Plus, long after they've exhausted their key market potential. I'd say most major PS4 games are still selling notable amounts as more people pick up the consoles, and it'll be a while yet before the likes of AC4, Battlefield 4 and others are deemed Plus friendly. The inevitable addition of games like Killzone or Knack isn't exactly the most exciting prospect anyway, so more creative, imaginative indie games is far and away preferable to the first party crap the console launched with.

And on a practical level, you have to remember publishers of launch games need to make back a bigger budget with a small userbase. That's why sales are a slow trickle in the early years of any console, and why discounts will never be as severe as publishers can afford when a console has a more significant consumer base to work with.

Also: welcome to the world of early adoption. New consoles are infamous for having a slow trickle of titles at a high price - if you expected anything else, you didn't do your homework properly. It tends to be a couple of years into a console generation before RRPs start dropping a bit and sales / discounts become more prevalent.

The PS4 is not even six months old: if you're expecting the same sort of variety and value as its almost decade old predecessor then you're in for a fall. Give it a year or two - you bought a console at launch, and in doing so you bought in to the long haul the same way early PS3, PS2, Vita, PSP, 3DS, Wii U, 360, Xbox One, PS1 etc... owners did. I always have to chuckle thinking back to the angry discussions about the 3DS' shameful catalogue that were taking place in the games forums barely a year ago, early adopters pissed off with an incredibly limited selection of titles. Look at it now: more great games than I for one can keep up with. Honestly, PS4 has actually gotten a pretty decent start compared to some recent others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have been very happy with the PS4 content thus far. Resogun and Contrast were great to have at launch. I'd say the only real bad game was Dead Nation. It was bad on the PS3 and unsurprisingly is still bad on the PS4. But with all the games they've given out over the past few years I'm not going to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Leaving PS Plus on 2nd April:

Dead Nation Apocalypse Edition
    Tomb Raider
    Borderlands 2
    Smart As
    Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD

Entering PS Plus on 2nd April:

Mercenary Kings
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2014
    Sly Cooper Thieves in Time (Cross Buy)
    Hotline Miami (Cross buy)
    MotoGP 13

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't agree. I actually think it is a great game to be offering. Pro Evo has lost so many sales to FIFA in recent years it makes sense that they'll give it for free now to try to drive sales for Pro Evo 15.

And how does it help to people who don't care about football at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Couldn't the same be said of any game though? That certain people won't have any interest in it and so it's of no benefit to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

It will convert you just in time for the world cup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well it doesn't..
    But same could be said for people who don't like racing games or Fps games.
    You can't expect there to be a game for each genre every month.

Sure its the first football game on PS+ (i think) so let us Football fans have our moment :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

It doesn't. So what???
    There's been a few months where I didn't download anything from PS Plus either because I've had the games or not being interested in them. You can't please everybody.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's completely unreasonable to expect every single game released on Plus to appeal directly to you: obviously you're going to end up with titles you don't want to play regularly given the variety of the games made available through it, and the fact that every single one of us here has different tastes. Pro Evolution is a popular, acclaimed series and has no less reason to be included than any other game. Indeed, it's quite a smart move for Konami, who might be able to win back a few fans they've lost to FIFA over the years.

No interest in it myself, but hey there's always the dozens of other PSN Plus titles I've never gotten around to, not to mention several others from this month's lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Lot of negativity towards free stuff now.

I think a lot of people seem to forget that at the start of PS+ there was no free games just discounts and it was still worth €50 a year.

Purchase all the games and try them all, you might like some and not others, it's called variety, deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

eddhorse wrote: »

It's ridiculous the way some people go on about it. If they don't like it then they shouldn't renew but we all know they will and then continue to moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

I think a lot of people seem to forget that at the start of PS+ there was no free games just discounts and it was still worth €50 a year.

Purchase all the games and try them all, you might like some and not others, it's called variety, deal with it.

Most people like to think raisins are grapes in that respect, they don't bother reading most posts.

Free stuff is always great and no complaints there in that department, but my debate was the PS+ discounts category not the games for plus, which is not the same, but most like to jump the gun, but that's common here. PS4 is not the PS3, PS+ is required to play online, so to say things are free are not entirely true. Every Official PS+ discount on PS4 in half a year since launch adds up to €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭cobraeire

BordorFox wrote: »
    Most people like to think raisins are grapes in that respect, they don't bother reading most posts.

Free stuff is always great and no complaints there in that department, but my debate was the PS+ discounts category not the games for plus, which is not the same, but most like to jump the gun, but that's common here. PS4 is not the PS3, PS+ is required to play online, so to say things are free are not entirely true. Every Official PS+ discount on PS4 in half a year since launch adds up to €4.

well you can still watch netflix without plus,you can play warframe and warthunder without plus so its not exactly required to play online so there free
    your getting a good deal for your money i think,ok all we have is indie titles to play for now,but this time next year we will be playing AAA titles,and you know this to be true as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Valid point and if you are a PS4 only user I can see how you might be a little peeved.
    But it's early days in the life of the console and demand is still massive so I wouldn't be expecting much until next Christmas at least.

Sony could offer up their entire gaming catalogue and pay people to play and there'd still be people on here crying about it. The last few months of Plus have been a no go for me given that bar the PS4 games, I've owned all the free games. April has little that will interest me but I realise that they can't make everyone happy. I still think it's an amazing service and long may it continue

cobraeire wrote: »
    well you can still watch netflix without plus,you can play warframe and warthunder without plus so its not exactly required to play online so there free
    tour getting a good deal for your money i think,ok all we have is indie titles to play for now,but this time next year we will be playing AAA titles,and you know this to be true as well.

Well warthunder, warframe, and netflix have all their own subscription prices, if not their own pay to win models or micro transactions so they're not entirely free either, but it's nice that Sony allows us to at least use them without a PS+ subscription though. PS+ has gone from 3 free titles to 1 since it's launch on PS3 to PS4, yes I'm not counting the ps vita, and now they've made you require it to play online also since the PS3, So plus has dwindled somewhat and mutated a lot since the PS3 and doubt it will ever be as good as it was in the PS3 days, and being an early adopter of the PS4 doesn't make the PS+ changes any less changed.

I am looking forward to the updates though, Specially some skinning features, but i don't think we'll see any DNLA or external usb support anytime soon as they would effect movies and music unlimited plans for sony.

Well warthunder, warframe, and netflix have all their own subscription prices, if not their own pay to win models or micro transactions so they're not entirely free either, but it's nice that Sony allows us to at least use them without a PS+ subscription though. PS+ has gone from 3 free titles to 1 since it's launch on PS3 to PS4, yes I'm not counting the ps vita, and now they've made you require it to play online also since the PS3, So plus has dwindled somewhat and mutated a lot since the PS3 and doubt it will ever be as good as it was in the PS3 days, and being an early adopter of the PS4 doesn't make the PS+ changes any less changed.

I am looking forward to the updates though, Specially some skinning features, but i don't think we'll see any DNLA or external usb support anytime soon as they would effect movies and music unlimited plans for sony.

How can anyone expect 3 free PS4 titles a month. That's mean they'd have given out 18 games so far, which is pretty much every game on the system. They still offer up 2-3 PS3 games a month and as the months pass the PS4 will see more titles added till it gets 2-3 games a month.

Valid point and if you are a PS4 only user I can see how you might be a little peeved.
    But it's early days in the life of the console and demand is still massive so I wouldn't be expecting much until next Christmas at least.

Ah yes, definately, the lineup is good, I'm particularly waiting on the division.
    Sony could offer up their entire gaming catalogue and pay people to play and there'd still be people on here crying about it. The last few months of Plus have been a no go for me given that bar the PS4 games, I've owned all the free games. April has little that will interest me but I realise that they can't make everyone happy. I still think it's an amazing service and long may it continue

Well as i said, i wasn't talking about the lineup nor the catalogue but just the "PS+ Exclusive discounts" section and talking about it getting some more love from sony. I was lucky enough to have my yearly plus from last may to this may to cover for the launch, but i wanted to play bf4 online so i need to get it renewed, someones gotta show cobraeire how to play lol.

:P

How can anyone expect 3 free PS4 titles a month. That's mean they'd have given out 18 games so far, which is pretty much every game on the system. They still offer up 2-3 PS3 games a month and as the months pass the PS4 will see more titles added till it gets 2-3 games a month.

Nobody is expecting anything, it's what the plus is for ps4, now or 2 years from now unless they change it again.

This is the notion of change and effect, they've been reducing it this year for PS3 then the PS4 launched with it's new PS+ also and why i mentioned it, not that i was expecting 3 free games, as i obviously stated already, the PS4 is not the PS3.

Ok alright I get your point, you win the Internet.

There's Pro's and Con's to both sides of your argument, won't be settled here though.

• Advertisement

Ok alright I get your point, you win the Internet.

There's Pro's and Con's to both sides of your argument, won't be settled here though.

Nah i don't want the internet, too many weirdos on it lol

I never expected this to be settled, nor you or i have the power to do that but Sony.

Think good thoughts and roll on the next discussion.

Nah i don't want the internet, too many weirdos on it lol

I never expected this to be settled, nor you or i have the power to do that but Sony.

Think good thoughts and roll on the next discussion.

Glad we are all agreed, Plus is the best thing ever.

oh aye, spread the word

edhorn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hotline Miami is coming to Plus but, for those of us that don't have a Vita, will we be able to play it on the PS3? It says cross play.

(I've played it on PC but I want those tunes tunes coming through the home audio system on PS3!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Metro and Bioshock were the free games in February, I can't stand FPS, how did that benefit me? You can't expect every game every month to appeal to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can understand some of the issues people might have in terms of some of the changing terms or service in regards to losing a PS3 game each month or the Vita yearly games not being updated (they'd be minor issues for me and not enough to stop me subscribing) but complaining about there being occasionally a game that you don't like on it seems a bit ridiculous. You'd swear that it was the end of the world and a personal attack on them the way some people react online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Can't log in on my new vita. Is psn down for anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah there is maintenance, should be finished now/soon.

I downloaded spec ops the line the month it was free on ps plus. Played a bit of it at the time.

When I went to play it today I got a message saying this content has expired???

I thought as long as I'm a ps plus member I could play any of the games I downloaded??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I downloaded spec ops the line the month it was free on ps plus. Played a bit of it at the time.

When I went to play it today I got a message saying this content has expired???

I thought as long as I'm a ps plus member I could play any of the games I downloaded??

it happens now and again, i think its an issue relating to the maintenance. You still have it and should be able o play it later today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement