Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Oh my god PES has regressed so badly I used to love it before but my god has it gotten bad :( such a shame hope it picks up on Next Gen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Oh my god PES has regressed so badly I used to love it before but my god has it gotten bad :( such a shame hope it picks up on Next Gen

I have to disagree, it has gotten much better than it was in previous years. I think gameplay wise it beats FIFA. Its a shame the online doesnt work properly. I still play FIFA purely because online works. If PES got their **** together, I'd love to play it online

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

thorbarry wrote: »
    I have to disagree, it has gotten much better than it was in previous years. I think gameplay wise it beats FIFA. Its a shame the online doesnt work properly. I still play FIFA purely because online works. If PES got their **** together, I'd love to play it online

Pretty much agree with this ^

FIFA destroys PES in the online department. But when it comes to gameplay PES is still better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

thorbarry wrote: »

How bad was it in the last few years if this is an improvement? I used to spend 3/4 hours EVERY day playing PES 4 (Collina on the cover) for months on end, I couldn't get enough of it. This is an abomination compared to those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I'm absolutely woeful at soccer games. So I haven't actually owned since.. well, probably my SNES. Will give PES a go tho, if just so I don't keep getting hockeyed when I play them in a mates place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

How bad was it in the last few years if this is an improvement? I used to spend 3/4 hours EVERY day playing PES 4 (Collina on the cover) for months on end, I couldn't get enough of it. This is an abomination compared to those games.

It was the first ones on PS3 that were very bad, the got a little bit better, last years one was the best for a while, and this years on is better again. From PES3 to 6 they were amazing games. Football games have changed a lot since then. The first few on PS3 were very arcady, and not very simulation like the old ones.

Coming from playing PES4 to this, of course you will not like it. Give it time and you will enjoy it. The freedom of movement is much better the diagonals of old games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

.ak wrote: »
    I'm absolutely woeful at soccer games. So I haven't actually owned since.. well, probably my SNES.

Ah the SNES, which had that gem of a soccer game, International Superstar Soccer Deluxe, the better of Konamis soccer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think you are forgetting Sensible Soccer !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have to agree with the sentiment in here that Mercenary Kings is not a good game. I was excited to try it as I like the art style and I was hoping for something simple to play via remote play. Pity I just didn't take to it. There are some strange design decisions.

Why did they decide that you can't shoot diagonally? Seems odd. Also if you go backwards even a little an enemy you've just killed will respawn, which is not fun.

Still, the other PS+ games look promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got my hands on Mercenary Kings and yeah everyone is right about it, not sure how they managed to mess the port up so bad, the PC version was a lot better, gonna pick it up on the next Steam sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭lertsnim

After trying it for a bit I am not a fan of Mercenary Kings I must say. Much rather playing Metal Slug on the PS3.

Moto GP I am liking though. Love Hotline Miami. Tricky game.

Got around to play Hotline Miami last night. Was worried how it would port onto the PS3... but actually it works really well. Is the lock on function on the PC version as well?

Very addictive, stuck it on to play the first 5 minutes and ended up flying through levels until the wee hours. Love the fact there's a massive scope for high score as well, really makes you want to try the levels again and better your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Got around to play Hotline Miami last night. Was worried how it would port onto the PS3... but actually it works really well. Is the lock on function on the PC version as well?

Very addictive, stuck it on to play the first 5 minutes and ended up flying through levels until the wee hours. Love the fact there's a massive scope for high score as well, really makes you want to try the levels again and better your score.

Miami Hotline is my fav Indie I refused to put it down until I completed it just like Dark Souls you just have to accept that you will die and often!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Miami Hotline is my fav Indie I refused to put it down until I completed it just like Dark Souls you just have to accept that you will die and often!

I had just bought it on Steam last month as well, ah well. Frustration on the move. Also, MotoGP 13 is a bag of rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Is the lock on function on the PC version as well?

Yes it is

It's one of those games were you kinda enjoy dying, because you don't want the levels to end so quick and you can approach each bad guy differently. I love how fluid it is. Reminds me of the old GTAs.

It's one of those games were you kinda enjoy dying, because you don't want the levels to end so quick and you can approach each bad guy differently. I love how fluid it is. Reminds me of the old GTAs.

And don't forget MH Wrong Number to look forward to also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I hadn't got the patience for Dark Souls. The combat is quality but I do not like replaying the same parts of levels over and over again. It didn't bother me with Hotline Miami though.

I think I just found it more fun and the music is so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So mercenary kings... Just a few thoughts.

For an 8bit style game, which is not power hungry game, it really has a lot of and very very long loading screens. It is actually at frustrating level.
    Again, it's an 8bit yoke, so why they are so stingy with colour palette? It feels washed off and brown. They could make it a lot more colourful.
    Weapon system. I am not a fan of build it yourself systems like this. It sounds fun, but in the end, you realise that bog standard guns are just better and modifying just makes them worse.
    I like the monster hunter type progression system. It's in a way dark soul /ish too. It's hard and if you die, you get a heavy penalty, so it encourages you to learn level. I like that bit.

Over all, I'll give it a go and will get my buddy, so we can try it Co op on a couch. I don't mind it as free game, but if I would have payed 18eu for it, I would be pissed.

I thought I liked Merc Kings until I realised how unfair and unforgiving it is. Getting speared with zero chance to avoid and such quick enemy respawns moves the game from challenging to just plain annoying and frustrating.

I like a fair challenge but this game is just sadomasicism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

I tried PES14 last night. What a load of muck.

Merseyside red (liverpool) vs north london (arsenal). The presentation is awful.

All the players are there but very few stadia and they are very generic. Graphics are very poor.

I must have spent 10 minutes at the beginning with all the screens saying thanks for choosing our game and entering needless waffle.

I gave it an hour and half, gave up and deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Damien360 wrote: »
    I tried PES14 last night. What a load of muck.

Merseyside red (liverpool) vs north london (arsenal). The presentation is awful.

All the players are there but very few stadia and they are very generic. Graphics are very poor.

I must have spent 10 minutes at the beginning with all the screens saying thanks for choosing our game and entering needless waffle.

I gave it an hour and half, gave up and deleted it.

Did you download the Konami Data Packs that change the gameplay? Or any of the option files? Or try career mode?

Seems like you barely gave it a chance..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

My gaming backlog is getting out of control now.

Doesn't help that Xtravision are basically giving games away atm too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Moneymaker wrote: »

eh? They having some sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

They're selling off a load of the pre-owned games very cheaply. You get the likes of Assassin's Creed 2 and Uncharted 2 for a fiver. I think they're also doing a 4 for €15 deal as well with those €5 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

http://www.xvmarketplace.ie/Offers

A lot of good stuff has been cleared out already though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Since getting PS Plus at christmas, Ive a huge back log of games to get through. Now that Ive finished Skyrim, I shall hopefully knock out a few in the next month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

http://www.xvmarketplace.ie/Offers

A lot of good stuff has been cleared out already though.

Apparently some lad bought over 100 games in the offer. Whether he is trolling or not, he wont be alone, hence why the majority is well gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Tinie wrote: »
    Apparently some lad bought over 100 games in the offer. Whether he is trolling or not, he wont be alone, hence why the majority is well gone.

I make that €350? With some patience he can turn profit I guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Did you download the Konami Data Packs that change the gameplay? Or any of the option files? Or try career mode?

Seems like you barely gave it a chance..

No, but if you have to mod a game to get it looking right, something is very wrong. I played exibition games to get a feel for it, and it was awful. It downloaded (or appeared to download during all the waffle screens) a suite of data packs itself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement