Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I think Contrast is the only free game I've enjoyed on the PS4 to be honest, the only one I actually finished anyway. I've no desire to go back to any of the others, most of them I played once to try out and never bothered with them again.

What about resogun/dont starve?
    I found most of the free games to be brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Can people stop saying "pants"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

jonny24ie wrote: »
    What about resogun/dont starve?
    I found most of the free games to be brilliant :)

Don't Starve is probably the worst of the lot, it's that or Mercenary Kings.
    I did play a fair bit of Resogun but I didn't get the love for it, got bored with pretty quickly.

Edit: Actually, Road Not Taken must be the worst...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tbh, I only have the Vita and PS3 so I can only comment on the crossbuy games but Velocity, Fez, Pixeljunk Shooter and Fez were all great games. I'm wondering though if some of them are more suited to the Vita. I enjoy playing Don't Starve on the handheld but I'm not so sure I'd be bothered playing on the big screen. Was Lone Survivor cross buy with the PS4 when it was on the IGC. That's a great game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Don't Starve is probably the worst of the lot, it's that or Mercenary Kings.
    I did play a fair bit of Resogun but I didn't get the love for it, got bored with pretty quickly.

Edit: Actually, Road Not Taken must be the worst...

Are you sure your playing the same games? :P

Dont starve is brilliant just to pass a few hours at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Tbh, I only have the Vita and PS3 so I can only comment on the crossbuy games but Velocity, Fez, Pixeljunk Shooter and Fez were all great games. I'm wondering though if some of them are more suited to the Vita. I enjoy playing Don't Starve on the handheld but I'm not so sure I'd be bothered playing on the big screen. Was Lone Survivor cross buy with the PS4 when it was on the IGC. That's a great game.

I can see how they'd work on the Vita but I didnt buy this generations console to play Snake, R-Type and Rick Dangerous clones

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can people stop saying "pants"?

These games are trousers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see Trine 2 was released for PS4 on Plus and that is an absolutely brilliant game and not just because it looks so good. I played both loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I didn't expect then to make with the AAA games in the first year, but they should be at least starting out of date sports games, or something.

I do like a lot of the arcade/retro style games, so I'm not that pissed off yet, but The Drive Club scenario isn't doing Sony any favours.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I do like a lot of the arcade/retro style games, so I'm not that pissed off yet, but The Drive Club scenario isn't doing Sony any favours.

I reckon Drive Club is a test for how to hope to push content through Plus in the future - Release a game and have an Plus version which is in essence an expanded demo. It's turning into a bit of a disaster for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Tbf, Arkham Asylum is what you'd expect to appear on Games for Gold and they'd actually get to keep the game if they decide to stop subscribing to Xbox Live. I suppose after the massive run of games around the end of last year and the standard PSN set for themselves, some of the months this year have been a bit of a disappointment with the PS3 really suffering in terms of quality. I suppose it's only natural that they are going to be concentrating less on the PS3.

They no longer get to keep the new games for gold stuff, it's the same as plus.

Varik wrote: »
    They no longer get to keep the new games for gold stuff, it's the same as plus.

Is that not just for the Xbox One games?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Every month it is the same complaints. If you don't like the games then don't renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Admittedly some of the games that have been on plus for the PS4 have not been great, but the likes of Trine 2, Dust, TowerFall, Res0Gun and Velocity 2x have been excellent, while others have been enjoyable as well. I never expected or held any hope that AAA game would be out in the PS4's first year and not sure why people would, even when we do get the first game people will still be giving out if it is not a game they want or if the file size is probably going to be about 30 gig plus.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Every month it is the same complaints. If you don't like the games then don't renew.

Eh, dont you need to pay to play online?

drumswan wrote: »
    Eh, dont you need to pay to play online?

If you are paying to play online then consider the games a bonus. Simple really. Every month is the very same whining. PS+ was only ever about free games only with the PS3 and it still is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I have a good idea for Sony, why don't they drop the requirement to have a Ps Plus subscription to play online? That way, only people who actually have an interest in playing these **** hipster games would have to purchase a sub. They would never do that though because Plus subscriptions would drop over 90% immediately.

And every month, people complaining about people complaining. It's Groundhog PS month. What's the problem with people expressing opinions on what games they do or don't like in Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

DarkJager wrote: »
    I have a good idea for Sony, why don't they drop the requirement to have a Ps Plus subscription to play online? That way, only people who actually have an interest in playing these **** hipster games would have to purchase a sub. They would never do that though because Plus subscriptions would drop over 90% immediately.

What games would you like then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've no issue with them not being AAA. The Cave, Thomas Was Alone, A Clone In The Dark, Catherine, Brothers, Quantum Conundrum, Limbo. These were some of my favourite games on the last gen, and most I got on plus. Nothing has come anywhere close to them on PS4. It's just a bit of a letdown every month, I'm entitled to moan if I want :pac:

• Advertisement

In 2-3 years time the "Crap games" wont be an issue as the PS4 will have a decent back catalogue of games so a few AAA titles will be free on it.
    For €50 I have gotten hours upon hours of entertainment since I got my PS4, now for €50 I could have gone and bought a game that I might have completed in a few hours instead I have been given well over 20 odd games now that make me look at indie titles instead of mainline releases and so far have taken at least 100+ hours of my time and I have enjoyed the majority of those games. The only game I havent liked or played much of was Mercenery Kings.

I've no issue with them not being AAA. The Cave, Thomas Was Alone, A Clone In The Dark, Catherine, Brothers, Quantum Conundrum, Limbo. These were some of my favourite games on the last gen, and most I got on plus. Nothing has come anywhere close to them on PS4. It's just a bit of a letdown every month, I'm entitled to moan if I want :pac:

Yeah but you hardly got all them free 1 year after the PS3's launch :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Xenji wrote: »

There are actually games on the store at present I think would fit very well in Ps Plus and I'd actually be interested in playing - Pure pool, Surgeon Simulator, Octodad etc. Games that might actually provide some level of enjoyment instead of 5 mins before being deleted. Obviously a year down the line there will also be retail titles that can be added.

Instead, we constantly get these crap titles like Mercenary kings, road not taken, dust, Spelunky etc that are just boring to the point of tears. Some return of at least 1 halfway enjoyable game a month for having to pay a subscription wouldn't be too much to expect would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Xenji wrote: »

I was expecting this. :P

9x1bqfC.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you are playing games for five minutes and deleting them, the problem is you, not the games. That is so farcically inadequate an amount of time to dedicate to games with mechanical and design depths like Don't Starve, Towerfall, Strider, Dust and especially Spelunky that you'll excuse me for dismissing the opinion near completely. It's not even enough to get past their respective tutorials. Even if we allow a bit of angry hyperbole in there, these are games that require time to reveal their vast depths (although Dust looks ****ing gorgeous from the off, at least) not a couple of minutes play and a stubborn delete.

There's no onus on anyone to like all these games, but from any reasonable standpoint most have something to offer even if ultimately it's not for you (one or two legitimate duds aside). If we look at the last two months alone, there's a significant variety of titles all offering their own unique experience. Give them a proper chance, deleting them near immediately is simply ridiculous.

At the very least, get a friend over and give Sportsfriends a go!

If you are playing games for five minutes and deleting them, the problem is you, not the games. That is so farcically inadequate an amount of time to dedicate to games with mechanical and design depths like Don't Starve, Towerfall Dust and especially Spelunky that you'll excuse me for dismissing the opinion near completely. It's not even enough to get past their respective tutorials. Even if we allow a bit of angry hyperbole in there, these are games that require time to reveal their vast depths (although Dust looks ****ing gorgeous from the off, at least) not a couple of minutes play and a stubborn delete.

There's no onus on anyone to like all these games, but from any reasonable standpoint most have something to offer even if ultimately it's not for you (one or two legitimate duds aside). If we look at the last two months alone, there's a significant variety of titles all offering their own unique experience. Give them a proper chance, deleting them near immediately is simply ridiculous.
    OK, ill try this months again, I havent deleted them. They strike me as simple platformers, puzzlers and shoot-em-ups though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I have a good idea for Sony, why don't they drop the requirement to have a Ps Plus subscription to play online?

Then who will pay for the server costs?

I have a good idea for Sony, why don't they drop the requirement to have a Ps Plus subscription to play online?

PS3 is free to play online. That's one alternative. If you aren't happy to pay for online play with Sony then you could also go to XBOX who will also charge you and give you games that you will probably think are crap also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I wonder what the age range is for people who are complaining about indie titles on PS+, particularly the people who keep comparing them to C64 games etc. I have a suspicion that most are in their late teens/early 20's and didn't grow up in a time when graphical power was limited so game designers actually had to focus on gameplay and coming up with unique ideas. It's a common complaint that these games "look like something you would play on a Super Nintendo" as if that's a bad thing. It's all about the graphics for these people when it should be all about the gameplay.

There have been some brilliant indie titles released on PS+ so far and I for one hope it continues. You need to give these games a proper chance and stop immediately dismissing them based on graphics alone.

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I wonder what the age range is for people who are complaining about indie titles on PS+, particularly the people who keep comparing them to C64 games etc. I have a suspicion that most are in their late teens/early 20's and didn't grow up in a time when graphical power was limited so game designers actually had to focus on gameplay and coming up with unique ideas. It's a common complaint that these games "look like something you would play on a Super Nintendo" as if that's a bad thing. It's all about the graphics for these people when it should be all about the gameplay.

There have been some brilliant indie titles released on PS+ so far and I for one hope it continues. You need to give these games a proper chance and stop immediately dismissing them based on graphics alone.

What are you talking about, I had a C64 and already played all these games, I enjoyed them when I was a child and have no interest in playing through clones of them again. People are raving about Velocity 2X or whatever, its just R-Type/1942 combined with Mission Impossible, theres nothing original about it and its boring.

I thought quite the opposite, that people who think a simple platformer or hack'n'slash is "brilliant" didnt spend a decade already playing them because they are too young.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement