Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

drumswan wrote: »
    What are you talking about, I had a C64 and already played all these games, I enjoyed them when I was a child and have no interest in playing through clones of them again. People are raving about Velocity 2X or whatever, its just R-Type/1942 combined with Mission Impossible, theres nothing original about it and its boring.

I thought quite the opposite, that people who think a simple platformer or hack'n'slash is "brilliant" didnt spend a decade already playing them because they are too young.

So what games do you enjoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I wonder what the age range is for people who are complaining about indie titles on PS+, particularly the people who keep comparing them to C64 games etc. I have a suspicion that most are in their late teens/early 20's and didn't grow up in a time when graphical power was limited so game designers actually had to focus on gameplay and coming up with unique ideas. It's a common complaint that these games "look like something you would play on a Super Nintendo" as if that's a bad thing. It's all about the graphics for these people when it should be all about the gameplay.

There have been some brilliant indie titles released on PS+ so far and I for one hope it continues. You need to give these games a proper chance and stop immediately dismissing them based on graphics alone.

The youth of today, eh? Don't know they're born…

I don't have an issue with indies and there's been some fantastic ones but there's plenty of clunkers out there as well. I do find that for some people there seems to be an opinion that indies are beyond criticism and if you say anything bad about an indie game then somehow you're more interested in shiny baubles than gameplay. There's some really inventive indie games and then there's ones that take a unique idea and just make repetitive one trick ponies. The same obviously applies for AAA titles.

That said, if you're of the opinion that ALL indie games suck then you're really missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

What are you talking about, I had a C64 and already played all these games, I enjoyed them when I was a child and have no interest in playing through clones of them again. People are raving about Velocity 2X or whatever, its just R-Type/1942 combined with Mission Impossible, theres nothing original about it and its boring.

I thought quite the opposite, that people who think a simple platformer or hack'n'slash is "brilliant" didnt spend a decade already playing them because they are too young.

Absolutely, just look at Spelunky for example. It's basically a copy of Rick Dangerous. Nostalgia is a good thing in some cases but I don't see any reason to be awed or impressed by a game style I played 20 something years ago on an IBM 286. Gaming should be trying to move itself forward as a medium, not cooing over regressive titles.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Absolutely, just look at Spelunky for example. It's basically a copy of Rick Dangerous. Nostalgia is a good thing in some cases but I don't see any reason to be awed or impressed by a game style I played 20 something years ago on an IBM 286. Gaming should be trying to move itself forward as a medium, not cooing over regressive titles.

Tbf, there's room for everything in gaming just as in music and film, whether you want something funky and retro or something high definition and bang up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Spelunky has 'vast depths' apparently. There must be something we're missing. Maybe it morphs into something other than jumping on snakes heads after the first few levels.

• Advertisement

Tbf, there's room for everything in gaming just as in music and film, whether you want something funky and retro or something high definition and bang up to date.

Not on the PS+ Instant Game Collection though. Which is the point people are making.

I think I'd prefer the whole 'big demo' thing they will do with Drive Club tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im north of 30 and have not been overly impressed with PS+. Trine 2 being the stand out games for me.

FEZ,Dont Starve and Strider are the only other games i would rate. Two of which i had already played on PC well before they came to plus. Had not played Trine on PC so that was new to me,but again was out donkeys before on PC

So no i wouldnt say its age related.

Off topic but can anybody tell me if sports friends literally has only like 4 game modes?
    Tried it out with a mate a few weeks ago and i could only see 4 game modes.
    Talk about depth of mechanics all you want but 4 game modes and no online MP only local is not good enough imo. I also like local MP,but not to be able to play the game at all with out it is silly imo

Not on the PS+ Instant Game Collection though. Which is the point people are making.

I think I'd prefer the whole 'big demo' thing they will do with Drive Club tbh

There is room for it on IGC. I'd be happy with a good indie/AAA split.

I'd definitely prefer good quality full indies over glorified demos. It really sounds like an awful road for PS Plus to go down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The same way Destiny is a Doom clone? Drive Club is a Ridge Racer clone? Bloodborne is a King's Field clone?

You see, the great thing about a lot of games is that they take familiar formulas and build on them in ways both small and large. Velocity 2X might appear to be a basic shmup at its most fundamental level, but it piles on layers of twists and mechanical evolutions to ensure it ultimately feels radically different to its inspirations. Resogun even more so. They also take advantage of the increased graphical and technical capabilities of their host consoles in many ways - whether that's the spectacular particle showers of Resogun, the blisteringly fast, uninterrupted gameplay flow of Velocity or indeed the way both games take absolute advantage of more modern online capabilities. It's testament to both the designers' imagination and the sticking power of much retro design that we still get so many refreshing takes on some of the medium's oldest ideas. It's not just indie games - it is the rare AAA game that radically departs from the formulas set down at the dawn of the 3D era or at least the PS2 era. The genres have largely evolved rather than revolved.
    Spelunky has 'vast depths' apparently. There must be something we're missing. Maybe it morphs into something other than jumping on snakes heads after the first few levels.

It does offer vast depths, because it offers nearly endless permutations of level design, incredibly complex secrets, a huge array of game-changing items and a serious level of escalating challenge and difficulty. Players and critics alike aren't just making this **** up - you could play it for a hundred hours and still be trying to figure out its devious systems and rules.

It does offer vast depths, because it offers nearly endless permutations of level design, incredibly complex secrets, a huge array of game-changing items and a serious level of escalating challenge and difficulty. Players and critics alike aren't just making this **** up - you could play it for a hundred hours and still be trying to figure out its devious systems and rules.

I gave Spelunky an hour this afternoon to see if I was missing something - deleted it a few minutes ago again. If jumping or whipping snakes and bats with the ability to blow up chunks of a level is classed as "vast depth" then I must be really out of touch with what's classed a good game. This is complete and utter **** and I'm even more amazed at some of the review scores it got (Eurogamer gave it 10/10??). That's an absolute insult to games that are actually enjoyable and score nowhere near that in reviews. There is nothing special about that game at all, it's a 0/10 in my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I gave Spelunky an hour this afternoon to see if I was missing something - deleted it a few minutes ago again. If jumping or whipping snakes and bats with the ability to blow up chunks of a level is classed as "vast depth" then I must be really out of touch with what's classed a good game. This is complete and utter **** and I'm even more amazed at some of the review scores it got (Eurogamer gave it 10/10??). That's an absolute insult to games that are actually enjoyable and score nowhere near that in reviews. There is nothing special about that game at all, it's a 0/10 in my eyes.

An hour is no time at all when it comes to this game. As johnny_ultimate already said there is so much to this game under the surface. You just have to be prepared to give it a chance.

Surely a 0/10 is a little hyperbolic. In my eyes a 0/10 game is something that is fundamentally broken.

An hour is no time at all when it comes to this game. As johnny_ultimate already said there is so much to this game under the surface. You just have to be prepared to give it a chance.

Surely a 0/10 is a little hyperbolic. In my eyes a 0/10 game is something that is fundamentally broken.

How anybody could spend more than an hour playing that piece of **** is beyond me. Maybe 0/10 is unfair, I'll give it 1/10 instead. The game functions but is completely and utterly devoid of any enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Meh I'm happy enough to try out these indie games. Haven't been impressed with all of them but I'm quite enjoying Velocity 2x, Dust: An Elysian Tale and a few others. They clearly captured my imagination if I can't even remember their names. :pac:

I love AAA blockbuster games. Still playing Destiny an awful lot among many others but like film, it's nice to get out of the multiplex every so often and enjoy a film in an art house with really expensive coffee and people wearing scarves indoors like the loons they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Should say that I would probably sink a lot more time into indie games if I owned a Vita.

Velocity 2X would be brilliant with the touch screen I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

F1ngers wrote: »
    Are you sure it's charging you?
    When I click on the game, it has a price of €7.99, but it gives me the option to download, not purchase.

Check your download list, click on the Joe Danger game from there.

The only option is to order and pay! No Joe in the download list. Same goes for the others :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Driveclub out for us in ireland tonight. PS plus edition might be delayed a few days due to server problems.

Just played Spelunkey for half an hour. No vast depths, just a fairly generic platformer and a complete chore to play.

I just don't get the attraction. When I think of vast depths I think of gameplay like Civilization or atmosphere like Fallout 3 or storyline like The Last Of Us or sims like Gran Turismo - not a random Rick Dangerous level generator.

Someone is being conned here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Played 10 minutes of Spelunkey and had to turn it off, absolute rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The jig is up, everyone, they know. Cue exit code beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Tried splunky, have to admit, not sold on it yet, but dust is Fantastic. Great little game, sank 5 hours into it tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

If you are old enough to have played Pitfall and Rick Dangerous you would then see the appeal of Splunky to many people!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I love Spelunky. Put in about 30 hours on the 360, delighted to have it on the PS4 now. Incredible game in my opinion.

Not impressed with the Driveclub delay though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Just played Spelunkey for half an hour. No vast depths, just a fairly generic platformer and a complete chore to play.

I just don't get the attraction. When I think of vast depths I think of gameplay like Civilization or atmosphere like Fallout 3 or storyline like The Last Of Us or sims like Gran Turismo - not a random Rick Dangerous level generator.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the word depth.

Also I have to laugh at Gran Turismo... a racing game with 5 sequels that all do pretty much the same thing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If thats the case that these games are C64 "Clones" then you may sell off your consoles because at this point all games are clones of other games and all future games will be clones of games that come before it with slightly different mechanics.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If thats the case that these games are C64 "Clones" then you may sell off your consoles because at this point all games are clones of other games and all future games will be clones of games that come before it with slightly different mechanics.

Which C64 game is Destiny a clone of?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Which C64 game is Destiny a clone of?

I didnt say destiny was a C64 clone but all games are clones of each other at some point. They have a few slight differences to looks or mechanics.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I didnt say destiny was a C64 clone but all games are clones of each other at some point. They have a few slight differences to looks or mechanics.

Im not sure how thats relevant to the discussion, this thread is about and indeed shows specifically how many people are not interested in remakes of 8-bit games on PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Huge kerkuffle here involving a lot of personal taste. The AAA, or large 3D games will come.

Unfortunately, I think Knack might be the first.

Im not sure how thats relevant to the discussion, this thread is about and indeed shows specifically how many people are not interested in remakes of 8-bit games on PS+.

Its very relevant, people are complaining that the free games they are getting are clones of pre-existing games. Pretty much every game out there at the moment is a clone of a game that came before it. Its not like they are many "New" games coming out that are completely different to anything that came before it.

If PS+ next month came with FIFA 15 people would still be complaining because its a clone of FIFA 14 that they already played etc. At the end of the day not every game on the list is going to appeal to everyone. We have a 8-10 year cycle with consoles and for €50 a year you get 72 games without having to buy them which is at a cost of 70 cent per game! Thats insane value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I think it will be Need for Speed that will be up first. This has also been heavily discounted recently, so wouldn't be surprised at all to see it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement