Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I think it will be Need for Speed that will be up first. This has also been heavily discounted recently, so wouldn't be surprised at all to see it

Personally i think the first AAA games to come out on PS+ will be one of the following:

Knack
    Killzone
    Any of EA's 2014 lineup (NBA/FIFA etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Its very relevant, people are complaining that the free games they are getting are clones of pre-existing games. Pretty much every game out there at the moment is a clone of a game that came before it. Its not like they are many "New" games coming out that are completely different to anything that came before it.
    You are just making up your own argument now. Im complaining that the PS+ free games are clones of simplistic platformers and shmups from 20-25 years ago. These games are too simple to be engaging to me.

You are entitled to like them, many of us dont and find this paid offering a disappointment.
    you get 72 games without having to buy them which is at a cost of 70 cent per game! Thats insane value.
    Ive only been on the service two months, but I would not have paid 70 cents in the store for any of the PS4 games released in that time. There is zero value in it for me, quite the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Personally i think the first AAA games to come out on PS+ will be one of the following:

Knack
    Killzone
    Any of EA's 2014 lineup (NBA/FIFA etc)

I seriously doubt it'll be any of the EA games now that they have Access up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

drumswan wrote: »
    You are just making up your own argument now. Im complaining that the PS+ free games are clones of simplistic platformers and shmups from 20-25 years ago. These games are too simple to be engaging to me.

Too simple? Seriously you don't like the games and that's fine.. but you're not explaining yourself particularly well.

Firstly what are these platformers that have been released on ps4? The only one I can think of off hand is Fez. Spelunky for example is not a platformer at all. It's an action adventure game.

As for simple, in that time you played Spelunky, did you manage to finish it? Did you even get past the first world?

I'm also using the word finish pretty broadly here as there is a load to do in that game before you could really say you completed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You are entitled to like them, many of us dont and find this paid offering a disappointment.

Ive only been on the service two months, but I would not have paid 70 cents in the store for any of the PS4 games released in that time. There is zero value in it for me, quite the opposite.

But the paid offering you are getting for your €50 is the ability to play online on Sony's servers. The free games are a bonus!!

You have only been on the service 2 months and your giving out about the quality of games on it????
    Take a look at the 19 games released so far for the PS4 on this service and not just 4 of the games and base your opinion on the service as a whole!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)#PlayStation_4

• Advertisement

But the paid offering you are getting for your €50 is the ability to play online on Sony's servers. The free games are a bonus!!

You have only been on the service 2 months and your giving out about the quality of games on it????
    Take a look at the 19 games released so far for the PS4 on this service and not just 4 of the games and base your opinion on the service as a whole!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)#PlayStation_4

Do you work for Sony or something? Instant Game Collection is sold as a draw to bring people into the service and so far my experience has been disappointing.

Do you work for Sony or something? Instant Game Collection is sold as a draw to bring people into the service and so far my experience has been disappointing.

No I don't work for Sony.

Yes it's a draw but you still have to pay 50 to play online so free games are a bonus!

Me and plenty of others have enjoyed the service so far. I haven't liked all the games 100% but it's a service that's still in its infancy.

Me and plenty of others have enjoyed the service so far. I haven't liked all the games 100% but it's a service that's still in its infancy.
    Hopefully it will improve.

Hopefully it will improve.

It will improve, look at the PS3 releases on the service and you see they are getting AAA titles. Its just a severe lack of games on the PS4 at the moment means they have to give Indie games until more games come on board for the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Yes it's a draw but you still have to pay 50 to play online so free games are a bonus!

I think the issue seems to be people that have ps plus since the start have gotten great value. There were many ps3 AAA games that were old and could be used when plus started. The ps4 has very little games so to give two AAA games a month they would run out of games. They neex to use indi games for ps4 so people feel ps4 is getting a raw deal when infact there arent enough games yet. In a year or two ps4 will have a bettet catalog of games to boast plus. As it stands people with ps3, vita and ps4 cant complain its a super service and value in my opinion ps4 only owners will need to wait abit longer.

• Advertisement

Would you still consider it in its infancy after 4.5 years though? I'll state that I'm happy with the service and usually there's a couple of games to dick around with on the two platforms I have each month. I know sometimes it can be OTT but the thing is I really don't see the problem with people criticizing a service if they think it could be improved. Let's be honest, corporations like Sony or xBox don't respond to praise, the respond to criticism - if enough people are critical of a service and it generates enough bad publicity, they are more likely to react.

Would you still consider it in its infancy after 4.5 years though? I'll state that I'm happy with the service and usually there's a couple of games to dick around with on the two platforms I have each month. I know sometimes it can be OTT but the thing is I really don't see the problem with people criticizing a service if they think it could be improved. Let's be honest, corporations like Sony or xBox don't respond to praise, the respond to criticism - if enough people are critical of a service and it generates enough bad publicity, they are more likely to react.

On the PS4 it is in its infancy and that will only hold true for another year at the extreme most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can't get blood from a stone, the game don't exist yet or have not been on the market long enough. What are some people expecting, seriously like. THe PS3 had 5 years of games to pick from when Plus launched. PS4 had day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Can't get blood from a stone, the game don't exist yet or have not been on the market long enough. What are some people expecting, seriously like. THe PS3 had 5 years of games to pick from when Plus launched. PS4 had day one.

I would go further to say we were spoiled by sony with so many great AAA games that now we expect it!

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I would go further to say we were spoiled by sony with so many great AAA games that now we expect it!

Or you could say Sony created an expectation of a certain level of service that has lead to disappointment at where the service is now. I can understand a certain amount of disappointment, especially for the PS3 owners, when you're going from getting Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light in one month, both games less than a year old at the time, to getting a five year old Batman game and a compilation of 2 20 year old arcade games in the space of 9 months.

Or you could say Sony created an expectation of a certain level of service that has lead to disappointment at where the service is now. I can understand a certain amount of disappointment, especially for the PS3 owners, when you're going from getting Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light in one month, both games less than a year old at the time, to getting a five year old Batman game and a compilation of 2 20 year old arcade games in the space of 9 months.

Yes but the Vita and PS3 are around alot longer than the PS4 so its PS4 users that need to be realistic in their views of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

If they gave Need For Speed away as the first major title, I'd be very impressed!

Yes but the Vita and PS3 are around alot longer than the PS4 so its PS4 users that need to be realistic in their views of the service.

I can understand the need for tempered expectations in terms of the PS4 but I'm sympathetic to a certain degree to people's frustrations with the service - wasn't Plus on the PS4 initially meant to launch with Drive Club? I think that raised a lot of people's expectations of what the service was going to be like - something Sony could obviously never have realistically fulfilled. I also think Drive Club is actually going to be the template for how AAA games are presented which I think will be a disappointment for people who are used to the previous service from the Vita or the PS3.

That said, looking at the Games with Gold service for the xBox One, PS Plus is looking a bit better in terms of the amount of games it gets every month thanks to the cross buy games between the Vita and the PS4 given away each month.

Tbf, the Vita catalogue has pretty much been completely plundered for Plus at this stage so it's in the same situation as the PS4 in terms of being reliant on indies - not really a bad thing as it really is the perfect vehicle for a lot of those games. Vita suffered a bit from bad ports so the indies are a better fit imo.

I can understand the need for tempered expectations in terms of the PS4 but I'm sympathetic to a certain degree to people's frustrations with the service - wasn't Plus on the PS4 initially meant to launch with Drive Club? I think that raised a lot of people's expectations of what the service was going to be like - something Sony could obviously never have realistically fulfilled. I also think Drive Club is actually going to be the template for how AAA games are presented which I think will be a disappointment for people who are used to the previous service from the Vita or the PS3.

That said, looking at the Games with Gold service for the xBox One, PS Plus is looking a bit better in terms of the amount of games it gets every month thanks to the cross buy games between the Vita and the PS4 given away each month.

Tbf, the Vita catalogue has pretty much been completely plundered for Plus at this stage so it's in the same situation as the PS4 in terms of being reliant on indies - not really a bad thing as it really is the perfect vehicle for a lot of those games. Vita suffered a bit from bad ports so the indies are a better fit imo.

Yes, I remember looking at the back of the PS4 box when I got the console at launch and it had Drive Club details as been free etc. I must have a look when i get home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If you take into account Sonys metacritic rule, games that are older than 6 months and the possibility of no more EA games on Plus you are only left with AC: Black Flag, Cod Ghosts, Injustice, Killzone SF, Lego Marvel Heroes, NBA 2414, Tomb Raider, MGS GZ and Infamous SS that could be released at this point.

• Advertisement

This Sony metacritic rule isn't actually there. Pretty sure myself and Otacon discussed this before.

tok9 wrote: »
    This Sony metacritic rule isn't actually there. Pretty sure myself and Otacon discussed this before.

I think they are a bit lenient at times seeing that Catherine and Hitman Absolution have both been under the 70% threshold.

If they want to be lenient you could add Knack, Thief and Murdered Soul Suspect as well.

Yeah, it was on their website before and about 2 months ago Otacon i think had a look and said that it was no longer specified.

Xenji wrote: »
    I think they are a bit lenient at times seeing that Catherine and Hitman Absolution have both been under the 70% threshold.

If they want to be lenient you could add Knack, Thief and Murdered Soul Suspect as well.

Hold on... Catherine got under 70%! I absolutely loved that game.

Hold on... Catherine got under 70%! I absolutely loved that game.

It is higher now, but at the time it got the Plus release it was around 68%, it is a great game and the usual Katsura Hashino mind****.

Otacons post on the metacritic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91928662&postcount=6437

And murdered sould suspect should have been slightly above the 70% mark :O

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

DarkJager wrote: »
    I have a good idea for Sony, why don't they drop the requirement to have a Ps Plus subscription to play online? That way, only people who actually have an interest in playing these **** hipster games would have to purchase a sub. They would never do that though because Plus subscriptions would drop over 90% immediately.

So, not a good idea then?

Otacons post on the metacritic:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91928662&postcount=6437

And murdered sould suspect should have been slightly above the 70% mark :O

Well then we have AC: Black Flag, Cod Ghosts, Injustice, Killzone SF, Lego Marvel Heroes, NBA 2414, Tomb Raider, MGS GZ, Infamous SS, Knack, Murdered SS and Thief.

Still no confirmation about how EA Access will affect future EA games on Plus, so leaving them out for the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Don't want to ignite a row or anything, but what's the story with Drive Club? Is it just the demo that's available on PS Plus? I thought it was the full game that we were gonna get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

tigger123 wrote: »
    Don't want to ignite a row or anything, but what's the story with Drive Club? Is it just the demo that's available on PS Plus? I thought it was the full game that we were gonna get?

Yes it's just a demo that you can upgrade for €40, it's not available yet I couldn't find it today when I looked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement