Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

PS4
    The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
    SteamWorld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt

PS3
    Frozen Synapse Prime
    Luftrausers

Vita
    The Hungry Horde
    Escape Plan

Everyone ready for self entitled moaners? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

daUbiq wrote: »
    Everyone ready for self entitled moaners? :rolleyes:

Tbf, discounting the PS4 games due to the console’s infancy, nobody can argue it's as good a service as it was a year ago. Take a look at what was happening on the service this time last year.
    In summary
    Leaving PS Plus:

23rd October: Far Cry 3
    23rd October: Mafia 2
    23rd October: Spec Ops The Line (NBA 2K13 in UAE)
    23rd October: Street Fighter X Tekken
    23rd October: Touch My Katamari

Entering PS Plus:

23rd October: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    23rd October: Remember Me
    23rd October: Oddworld Strangers Wrath
    23rd October: MotorStorm RC

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/11/playstation-plus-in-november-metal-gear-rising-remember-me-more/

You might call it self entitlement but I'd call it disappointment due to expectation based on previous experience. I don't have a PS4 and don't play multiplayer so the only thing that really has me on Plus is the games and if I hadn't got the Vita, which is the perfect vehicle for those indie games, I probably would have given up on the service already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Deja vu of deja vu of deja vu!

A few things to consider:

a) As pointed out above, we have to partially discount the PS4 games given the infancy of the console. It needs at least another six-twelve months to have the catalogue available that they'll reasonably be able to give out free big budget games (although I wouldn't be surprised if there was one given away as part of the Christmas games selection).

b) As a PS3 owner, you're getting three games that have not only been critically acclaimed (to a much greater degree than titles like Remember Me, and at least on a par with the other 2013 titles mentioned above), but also by players. For example, here are the boards threads on Frozen Synapse, Luftrausers and Steamworld Dig:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72442229
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89735997
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86441276

I for one am always a bit confused that independent titles are perceived as 'lesser' than their big budget brethren, when very often offer more in-depth mechanics, innovative ideas and longevity (Frozen Synapse and Binding of Issac particularly offer dozens and dozens of hours of play). Are mediocre AAA games really preferable to positively received independent ones?

c) PS Plus has reached a weird point where there is actually fewer games available to offer or perhaps even available to Sony. It's been quite a slow year or two for new titles in the general scheme of things as the transition to next gen has gone down, and many of the major titles that are probably lined-up for somewhere down the line (e.g. Last of Us / GTAV for PS3, Persona 4 for Vita) are very likely still profitable and therefore probably more of a delay in their inclusion in IGC. There's also the fact some publishers probably don't want to give up their games to the service, and the competition from Xbox further eating into the supply of games. PS Plus is a victim of its own success to a degree - there really is an increasingly limited amount of games out there they can offer, and I'd wager they are trying to spread out those titles so there's at least another year or so for PS3 in particular.

Not that there aren't legitimate concerns - on PS3 particularly I think there are a selection of more obscure games (many JRPGs, for example), that would be a nice inclusion every so often, and address some of the complaints. But having played Frozen Synapse, Steamworld, Luftrausers and Binding of Issac (the latter of which is the only one that fell into the 'not for me' category), I'm once again disappointed that these excellent, interesting games are effectively being dismissed before they have even been released on IGC. They are legitimately great games, varied enough that at least one or two of them will stick for the vast majority of players willing to give them a chance, and I'd play them all before all but the most exceptional AAA titles out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

EoinHef wrote: »
    And for that reason im not gonna post anymore unless beefy replies as my intention is not to annoy people but just to voice my opinion. And tbf i understand peoples frustrations,while i dont always post in this thread i do read it. I feel ive said my piece at this stage anyway.

Thats strange about the youtube app,my ps4 is directly wired in so should have been a lot quicker.

Oh stop it :pac:

Download speeds are a joke. I just let it run overnight nowadays.

Deja vu of deja vu of deja vu!

I don't get this attitude at all. It's not a static service. It constantly updates every month so naturally there's going to be debates on the selection of games when they come around.

Like I said, I've enjoyed the indie games as they've been handy to stick on the Vita but getting games like DmC, Bioshock and Uncharted 3 was absolutely fabulous and really meant that the service was outrageously good value for money. It really doesn't look like the same value for money when it's loaded with indies - regardless of how good they are.

I also don't get the argument that they are running out of AAA games for the PS3 - there's a massive selection of games out there that haven't used. Maybe the problem is that the service was a victim of its own success and publishers are unwilling to give up games because of how seriously it eats into their profits.

Ironically, I used the service to get my fix of AAA games while shelling out money for the indies - something I've stopped doing completely since the service has switched over to almost exclusively indie games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I also don't get the argument that they are running out of AAA games for the PS3 - there's a massive selection of games out there that haven't used. Maybe the problem is that the service was a victim of its own success and publishers are unwilling to give up games because of how seriously it eats into their profits.

I really don't think the selection is massive at all. Just for argument's sake, have a browse through the first page or two of metacritic's top rated games on PS3:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?page=0

Take away the newer releases (anything released in 2014), the unlikely games (e.g. Call of Duty titles and other massive blockbusters like Bethesda's RPGs), older titles (Arkham Asylum, for example, was relatively ill-received), games like Journey or GTAV that have next-gen updates incoming (not that that stopped Tomb Raider) and the impossibles (giving away Rock Band titles would be a bit pointless :p) and there's actually surprisingly few titles there that have not been included. Consider that a solid percentage of them again might not be willing to put their games up there at all, and you have a limited number of titles (more become available if you dive into the low 80s and 70s, to be fair). And the thing about PS3 is that the base of games is only going to shrink too, given that the amount of titles designed exclusively for last gen consoles is very nearly drying up at this point.

There are games that could still be included for sure - but at a rate of one or two a month I could see the well dry up even more by midway through next year. I think Sony's more staggered approach is a way of sustaining the service for a longer term. From my perspective anyway at least the indie games are high enough quality (with some exceptions) that they're far more than filler in between the AAAs.
    Ironically, I used the service to get my fix of AAA games while shelling out money for the indies - something I've stopped doing completely since the service has switched over to almost exclusively indie games.

That is a shame, and actually one of my biggest concerns with PS Plus is that they are devaluing independent titles that need the support at release. I'd wager a lot of people are unwilling to take risks on games like Hohokum (IMO a candidate for best of the year) because it will show up on PS Plus somewhere along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

We went to play Doki doki universe on the ps4 the game had a lock beside it. Anyone have this with other ps plus games

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cjs21

To be fair, as PS Plus Member I have to agree that the games offered for free are very poor. Indie games are Indie games for a reason.

The reason I have PS Plus is for the discounts given.

For isntance Madden 15 was 39.99 on the store last week.

Can't get it for cheaper than 69.99 in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Rebirth is going to amazing. Can't wait. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Cjs21 wrote: »
    To be fair, as PS Plus Member I have to agree that the games offered for free are very poor. Indie games are Indie games for a reason.

The reason I have PS Plus is for the discounts given.

For isntance Madden 15 was 39.99 on the store last week.

Can't get it for cheaper than 69.99 in stores.

I disagree - I've been a PS Plus member since it started and I'm more than happy with the service. The games offered are fantastic and well worth 50 euros over the course of a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Anyone think it's strange there hasn't been an official post on the blog about the games yet? It normally the last Wednesday of the month. Or am I missing something?

iamtony wrote: »
    Anyone think it's strange there hasn't been an official post on the blog about the games yet? It normally the last Wednesday of the month. Or am I missing something?

Maybe there's been a last minute change to the lineup?

Maybe there's been a last minute change to the lineup?
    Possibly but you would think they would of least actually said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Possibly but you would think they would of least actually said something.

There is an official video up with the games on it

thorbarry wrote: »

still strange don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

still strange don't you think?

They are probably afraid of the comments they will get on the blog :pac:

Am I right in saying that the binding of isaac and steamworld dig are both roguelike games? I tried spelunky and just couldn't get into it at all, granted I only played for about an hour. Anyone care to explain what I am missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

That video on YouTube is by "GameNewsOfficial", I've not seen anything on any official Playstation site, it's been all 3rd party websites.

Binding of Issac is a rougelike, Steamworld Dig isn't (I think there's a bit of random generation when it comes to the layout of blocks, but most of the game is set design). That's actually what pleasantly surprised me about Dig - I was expecting another Minecraft / Terraria style game, but while there's a little bit of that I'd actually be more inclined to compare it to traditional platformers and the likes of Metroid and Castlevania. It makes for a satisfying mix, and there's a strong sense of progression and exploration as you unlock new abilities and items to dig deeper. It's somewhere between 4-6 hours long (depending on how much time you take to look around the levels) and is a well paced experience with clear goals - unlike the endless structure of a rougelike.

As for Spelunky, I've been playing it a lot recently and it is without a shadow of a doubt a game that keeps revealing surprises, secrets and challenges as you put time into it. Almost overwhelmingly so at times, given the amount of subtle, mysterious mechanics that reveal themselves as you spelunk deeper and deeper (only the other day myself and a friend stumbled across the black market for the first time). It's a genuine joy discovering what on the surface looks like a simple retro platformer is something much more than that. It really is a game that will give you as much as you're willing to put into it, and it is worth giving it a couple of hours to start discovering the nuances, mysteries and challenges that are there within its rooms. And few games out there are as hilariously cruel - some of the randomly generated traps and the player's own carelessness lead to chain reaction deaths that are some of gaming's finest moments of pure, unexpected slapstick :)

Binding of Issac is a rougelike, Steamworld Dig isn't (I think there's a bit of random generation when it comes to the layout of blocks, but most of the game is set design). That's actually what pleasantly surprised me about Dig - I was expecting another Minecraft / Terraria style game, but while there's a little bit of that I'd actually be more inclined to compare it to traditional platformers and the likes of Metroid and Castlevania. It makes for a satisfying mix, and there's a strong sense of progression and exploration as you unlock new abilities and items to dig deeper. It's somewhere between 4-6 hours long (depending on how much time you take to look around the levels) and is a well paced experience with clear goals - unlike the endless structure of a rougelike.

As for Spelunky, I've been playing it a lot recently and it is without a shadow of a doubt a game that keeps revealing surprises, secrets and challenges as you put time into it. Almost overwhelmingly so at times, given the amount of subtle, mysterious mechanics that reveal themselves as you spelunk deeper and deeper (only the other day myself and a friend stumbled across the black market for the first time). It's a genuine joy discovering what on the surface looks like a simple retro platformer is something much more than that. It really is a game that will give you as much as you're willing to put into it, and it is worth giving it a couple of hours to start discovering the nuances, mysteries and challenges that are there within its rooms. And few games out there are as hilariously cruel - some of the randomly generated traps and the player's own carelessness lead to chain reaction deaths that are some of gaming's finest moments of pure, unexpected slapstick :)
    i like splunky but the difficulty is just too damn hard. I got the tunnel man to open the jungle door and I can get to the 4th stage in the jungle but the thought of having to beat the jungle 3 times to get him to unlock the next door is killing me

van_beano wrote: »
    That video on YouTube is by "GameNewsOfficial", I've not seen anything on any official Playstation site, it's been all 3rd party websites.

Yes I noticed that too I wonder what they are up too....

• Advertisement

They are probably afraid of the comments they will get on the blog :pac:

Am I right in saying that the binding of isaac and steamworld dig are both roguelike games? I tried spelunky and just couldn't get into it at all, granted I only played for about an hour. Anyone care to explain what I am missing?
    Nah I couldn't picture them sitting there hovering over the post button saying if we press it the Internet will explode lets just not say anything this month. We will just put the games up next Wednesday and pretend noting happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mooonpie

From another thread:
    srumball wrote: »

Seems WorldWide Studios will be "postponing the release of the PS Plus Edition until further notice."

Yes I noticed that too I wonder what they are up too....

I thought they'd surely have announced it by now. I wonder if games'll actually go live on Wednesday at this stage. It'd be bad form if they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I thought they'd surely have announced it by now. I wonder if games'll actually go live on Wednesday at this stage. It'd be bad form if they didn't.

Does anyone care at this stage? Ive little to no interest in the PS4 releases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

drumswan wrote: »
    Does anyone care at this stage? Ive little to no interest in the PS4 releases anyway.

You've no interest, fine.

Lots of people genuinely enjoy the indie games, binding of Isaac for one, is a great game that should transition really well to console.

Just because it's not made by a giant developer doesn't make it not worth playing..

When the ps4 was released, Sony made it clear indie games would be brought to the fore.. Don't see how people are surprised..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just to be clear, I love my playstation(s). Very happy 99% of the time.

But wondering if all the reported issues for the store, the server issues, the increase in traffic because of shareplay, maybe Sony are looking to make their next announcements carefully. They have gone from the golden child to actually fall behind Microsoft's aggressive price drop strategy. I'll admit, I'm starting to wonder how the Xbox One plays.

It feels like Sony is close to a cliff, they are just about holding on but one more large cock up could ruin them

I hope they have a surprise for us for their 1st anniversary:-) it is strange that they aren't even responding to anyone on the blog asking questions about it, normally they would say its coming later today or tomorrow or something.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I love my playstation(s). Very happy 99% of the time.

But wondering if all the reported issues for the store, the server issues, the increase in traffic because of shareplay, maybe Sony are looking to make their next announcements carefully. They have gone from the golden child to actually fall behind Microsoft's aggressive price drop strategy. I'll admit, I'm starting to wonder how the Xbox One plays.

It feels like Sony is close to a cliff, they are just about holding on but one more large cock up could ruin them
    The only thing that puts me off the xbo is it doesn't look like something I won't in my sitting room beside the telly, it just doesn't look good to me anyway. But funny enough those thought have been creeping into my mind also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just got an email confirming binding of Issac, frozen synapse and hungry hoardes. But only those three?

Official ps+ mail too

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just got an email confirming binding of Issac, frozen synapse and hungry hoardes. But only those three?

Official ps+ mail too

Yeah I got it too I don't know what they're at.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement