Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Unfinished Swan is a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

yo be honest the per games are Liss poor.haven't seen a descent game retail game yet. Don't have a vita or ps3 anymore so don't care about those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Mattyz69

Just wondering guys, if there is anywhere that you can keep track of new addition to the PSN, wanna know when/if any new PS1PS2 games are getting put on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

yo be honest the per games are Liss poor.haven't seen a descent game retail game yet. Don't have a vita or ps3 anymore so don't care about those games.

The longer these "liss poor" games keep coming, the happier I am.

Haven't got around to Ether One but I'm looking forward to it.

Guacamelee is an amazing game and I'm not even talking about the turbo edition.

Can't speak enough about hohokum as I've literally just played about 10 mins of it after my commute and really liked the experience.

Race the sun is definitely more suited to the Vita.. just a pick up and play for a few mins game in my book. Which I will! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Mattyz69 wrote: »
    Just wondering guys, if there is anywhere that you can keep track of new addition to the PSN, wanna know when/if any new PS1PS2 games are getting put on there.

If you check the blog on a Wednesday, it'll tell you what's being added to the store that week.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Thanks for this enlightening post...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Race the Sun is absolute class. Reminds me of an old Spectrum game 3D Deathchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Hohokum is mad. I don't know what's going on but I like it. Very relaxing.

daUbiq wrote: »
    Thanks for this enlightening post...

Sorry guys feckin mobile auto punctuation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mickstupp wrote: »
    Hohokum is mad. I don't know what's going on but I like it. Very relaxing.

Sometimes I bore myself with my total enthusiasm for Hohokum, but I think when you look at the game from a design perspective it's fascinating and honestly brilliant. It has basically nothing in the way of gameplay mechanics other than movement, but it reminded me of the purest joys of exploration and discovery in games.

It's a gorgeous game to float around and just look at and listen to (wonderful soundtrack), but when you start poking around more you find all these witty, imaginative 'short stories' and worlds too. It all emerges so organically, and the player is trusted to work out the world's logic on their own terms and time. If one wants to float around and admire the stunning art design you can, but there's more layers for those who want to go looking too.

There are more mechanically robust games than Hohokum. There are more thematically and narratively ambitious ones (although the game is cheekily ambiguous in many ways). But I don't know, there's just something about it that made a major impact on me, and glad more people are now giving it a go even if many inevitably won't warm to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I've yet to give hohokum a proper go but i am loving the unfinished swan. Such a nice change of pace and relaxing game

EDIT: just finished the unfinished swan. What a beautiful game. Brilliant little easter egg in it too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sometimes I bore myself with my total enthusiasm for Hohokum, but I think when you look at the game from a design perspective it's fascinating and honestly brilliant. It has basically nothing in the way of gameplay mechanics other than movement, but it reminded me of the purest joys of exploration and discovery in games.

It's a gorgeous game to float around and just look at and listen to (wonderful soundtrack), but when you start poking around more you find all these witty, imaginative 'short stories' and worlds too. It all emerges so organically, and the player is trusted to work out the world's logic on their own terms and time. If one wants to float around and admire the stunning art design you can, but there's more layers for those who want to go looking too.

There are more mechanically robust games than Hohokum. There are more thematically and narratively ambitious ones (although the game is cheekily ambiguous in many ways). But I don't know, there's just something about it that made a major impact on me, and glad more people are now giving it a go even if many inevitably won't warm to it :)

I remembered you mentioning this a good while back. Gave it a go there on the PS4, after 5/10 minutes I was thinking ah what's this all about, stuck with it a few minutes more and it started to grow on me. An hour later I was still playing/exploring. So relaxing. Lovely game it is. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Absolutely loving chase the sun. Very addictive played it for a few hours the other night. Old skill but great fun and cool idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

guacamelle is excellent...love platformers.

Race the sun is ok too.Like the look of it and it plays nicely.

Havent tried the rest yet.

tok9 wrote: »
    The longer these "liss poor" games keep coming, the happier I am.

Haven't got around to Ether One but I'm looking forward to it.

Guacamelee is an amazing game and I'm not even talking about the turbo edition.

Can't speak enough about hohokum as I've literally just played about 10 mins of it after my commute and really liked the experience.

Race the sun is definitely more suited to the Vita.. just a pick up and play for a few mins game in my book. Which I will! :pac:

i guess i am making a comparison to what games i got 2 or 3 years ago with the ps3, they were much better and full retail releases. we do not get these now, it is second rate compared to getting full releases like arkham city etc. on the ps3.

i can understand indie games only on the first year of release for ps4 but we should be getting infamous and killzone at this stage. we are paying 50e a year each, that is a big pot.
    this is imo of course

€50 for 24 (at minimum) PS4 games a year is not a big pot. If you happen to have the other devices than it's even better value.

I don't really understand this draw for retail titles. The thing is it doesn't even sound like most people want the great retail games, they just want retail games.

Killzone and Infamous are both okay-good games. Nothing more and very forgettable. This month alone you are getting games like The Unfinished Swan and hohokum.

You don't like them, fine. But at least they are something unique, something interesting. I played unfinished Swan 2-3 years ago, I still remember that experience.

I played Killzone when it came out and I honestly only remember 2 cool things about it. A level with these cool gravity platforms and my controller narrating the audio logs. That's it. Just another fps.

If we start getting retail games.. I don't want them for the sake of them because that just means me might lose an actually interesting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I remembered you mentioning this a good while back. Gave it a go there on the PS4, after 5/10 minutes I was thinking ah what's this all about, stuck with it a few minutes more and it started to grow on me. An hour later I was still playing/exploring. So relaxing. Lovely game it is. :)

Finished Hohokum on ps4 and vita, it's a fantastic game once you understand it. I kinda wish they would of at least outlined that each world has a puzzle to complete in order to rescue all the snake things, maybe it would have opened it up to more people who just dismiss it at the offset.

€50 for 24 (at minimum) PS4 games a year is not a big pot. If you happen to have the other devices than it's even better value.

I don't really understand this draw for retail titles. The thing is it doesn't even sound like most people want the great retail games, they just want retail games.

Killzone and Infamous are both okay-good games. Nothing more and very forgettable. This month alone you are getting games like The Unfinished Swan and hohokum.

You don't like them, fine. But at least they are something unique, something interesting. I played unfinished Swan 2-3 years ago, I still remember that experience.

I played Killzone when it came out and I honestly only remember 2 cool things about it. A level with these cool gravity platforms and my controller narrating the audio logs. That's it. Just another fps.

If we start getting retail games.. I don't want them for the sake of them because that just means me might lose an actually interesting game.

50e is a big pot when You multiply it by 5 million .those games Were an example of retail first party games I wound not mind.personally I have not been impressed by the indie games on offer over the past few months . Transistor I was expecting big things and found it average.

this is my opinion yet again. I expect people to be up in arms defending indie developers.

I would like them to mix it up a tiny bit. Looking forward to playing unfinished swan personally.i hope I enjoy it more than transistor Which I found repetitive and 1 dimensional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CombatCow wrote: »
    Finished Hohokum on ps4 and vita, it's a fantastic game once you understand it. I kinda wish they would of at least outlined that each world has a puzzle to complete in order to rescue all the snake things, maybe it would have opened it up to more people who just dismiss it at the offset.

I think its absolute minimalism is its bravest feature, and I admire them more for sticking with their guns and letting the player figure out everything for themselves. Such a radical decision does have some negative repurcussions - if you're confused about a solution (the pottery one stood out for me), and might lose some players early - but that the game manages to be so successful with effectively no instruction is a spectacular achievement. Especially so when games increasingly veer towards over explanation, whether that's through tutorials or endless text. In that sense, Hohokum reminded me of some of the great silent films, that remain incredibly visceral because everything is communicated through the images alone (and the odd intertitles).

50e is a big pot when You multiply it by 5 million .those games Were an example of retail first party games I wound not mind.personally I have not been impressed by the indie games on offer over the past few months . Transistor I was expecting big things and found it average.

this is my opinion yet again. I expect people to be up in arms defending indie developers.

I would like them to mix it up a tiny bit. Looking forward to playing unfinished swan personally.i hope I enjoy it more than transistor Which I found repetitive and 1 dimensional.

I was going to write a long post about on how calling Transistor repetitive and 1 dimensional is ridiculous but then I just thought it's simple. You just don't like these kind of games which is unfortunate for you.

Personally I'm very happy with PS+ (although I do have all 3 devices). I don't care if it's an indie game or a retail game. As long as the game is good and generally (about 90% of the time) it is critically received I'm happy.

• Advertisement

I keep getting an error when I try to buy SC: Blacklist and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles off the store.

Anyone else having issues?

I was going to write a long post about on how calling Transistor repetitive and 1 dimensional is ridiculous but then I just thought it's simple. You just don't like these kind of games which is unfortunate for you.

Personally I'm very happy with PS+ (although I do have all 3 devices). I don't care if it's an indie game or a retail game. As long as the game is good and generally (about 90% of the time) it is critically received I'm happy.
    you can write about what your impressions of the gameplay is like and it won't make my perception of the gameplay ridiculous in the slightest so fire ahead dude.
    me thinking transistor is 1 dimensional is not ridiculous, it is simply my opinion on the gameplay,
    I think it is a 1 trick pony that does not evolve past 1st gear in terms of weapon upgrades and overall gameplay.
    I think hotline miami is an amazing game, does this mean i 'don't like those type of games?' as you have stated.

have a look at these ps4 free games compared to the ps3 list and tell me ps4 subscribers are not getting a raw deal?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_%28PAL_region%29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Ether One is brilliant but quite buggy. Well worth a play though, some of the puzzles are brain meltingly hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

you can write about what your impressions of the gameplay is like and it won't make my perception of the gameplay ridiculous in the slightest so fire ahead dude.
    me thinking transistor is 1 dimensional is not ridiculous, it is simply my opinion on the gameplay,
    I think it is a 1 trick pony that does not evolve past 1st gear in terms of weapon upgrades and overall gameplay.
    I think hotline miami is an amazing game, does this mean i 'don't like those type of games?' as you have stated.

have a look at these ps4 free games compared to the ps3 list and tell me ps4 subscribers are not getting a raw deal?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_%28PAL_region%29

Sorry the thing is Sony dosint have to give us games remember its a extra that we get for paying €50 euro a year for PSN+ when i got my xbox 360 8 years ago i had to pay €60 a year for xbox live and there was no such thing as games for gold or PSN+ so i will take any game bad or not for free. I pay for both xbox live and PSN+ and i am delighted with any extra games i get as i have every console that can get the games for gold and PSN and there quite handy to have if your ever board you will allways have some game to play. I am playing Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! a game witch i would have bought when it would have went on sale a 20 euro game for free and one of the classic PS1 games remastered.

Also the PS4 is what 18 months old and the PS3 is 9 years old of course your going to get bigger games on the PS3 as they have 9 years of games to pick from. I got PSN+ there in 2012 just when they started the proper instant games of giving the major games on it the ps3 was 6 years old before sony done anything like that.

In the world of gaming your never going to make anyone happy with PSN+ or Games for gold as there is to many people who all like different kinds of games. But Sony and Microsoft try and gives us a good mix of games with games for gold and PSN+ in witch i am a extremely happy with. I just wish more gamers see the positives with PSN+ and games for gold as they need to go back to the dark ages when the 360 and ps3 start to see how good each of them are.

Sorry the thing is Sony dosint have to give us games remember its a extra that we get for paying €50 euro a year for PSN+ when i got my xbox 360 8 years ago i had to pay €60 a year for xbox live and there was no such thing as games for gold or PSN+ so i will take any game bad or not for free. I pay for both xbox live and PSN+ and i am delighted with any extra games i get as i have every console that can get the games for gold and PSN and there quite handy to have if your ever board you will allways have some game to play. I am playing Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! a game witch i would have bought when it would have went on sale a 20 euro game for free and one of the classic PS1 games remastered.

Also the PS4 is what 18 months old and the PS3 is 9 years old of course your going to get bigger games on the PS3 as they have 9 years of games to pick from. I got PSN+ there in 2012 just when they started the proper instant games of giving the major games on it the ps3 was 6 years old before sony done anything like that.

In the world of gaming your never going to make anyone happy with PSN+ or Games for gold as there is to many people who all like different kinds of games. But Sony and Microsoft try and gives us a good mix of games with games for gold and PSN+ in witch i am a extremely happy with. I just wish more gamers see the positives with PSN+ and games for gold as they need to go back to the dark ages when the 360 and ps3 start to see how good each of them are.

I have been playing pc games online since counter strike back in the day. And play bf4 on my gaming Pc Currently. I have never had to pay 1c for an online subscription on Pc. it was brought in and sold as an acceptable payment over the last few years.
    I feel 50e per year is for the quality of games and not 'free games' as they have stated and conditioned us to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We can just throw this out there again, for your €50 in the last 12 months you have gotten €1,160 worth of games, honestly I am not sure how people can complain about the service that is such good value and with the PS4 not even being 2 years old people are mad to think they will be getting AAA games every month, it will easily be another 6 months before one will be seen at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Xenji wrote: »
    We can just throw this out there again, for your €50 in the last 12 months you have gotten €1,160 worth of games, honestly I am not sure how people can complain about the service that is such good value and with the PS4 not even being 2 years old people are mad to think they will be getting AAA games every month, it will easily be another 6 months before one will be seen at the earliest.

€1000 of that being absolute tripe. I enjoy the odd indie game they throw at us though. The unfinished swan was veru interesring IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I only paid €15 for my 12 month PSN subscription! I'm not a huge fan of any of the games this month but my son loves some of them.

I have been playing pc games online since counter strike back in the day. And play bf4 on my gaming Pc Currently. I have never had to pay 1c for an online subscription on Pc. it was brought in and sold as an acceptable payment over the last few years.
    I feel 50e per year is for the quality of games and not 'free games' as they have stated and conditioned us to believe.

But what exactly is deemed quality? This month in terms of metacritic -

Guacamelee - 87
    Ether One - 82
    Hohokum - 75
    Race the Sun - 76
    Unfinshed Swan - 83
    Murasaki Baby - 69

That would suggest the standard of games you are getting are of good quality no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

But what exactly is deemed quality? This month in terms of metacritic -

Guacamelee - 87
    Ether One - 82
    Hohokum - 75
    Race the Sun - 76
    Unfinshed Swan - 83
    Murasaki Baby - 69

That would suggest the standard of games you are getting are of good quality no?

would those games have sold in their millions had they not been on ps plus?
    and why wouldnt they have sold in their millions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement