Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have no issues with the quality of games, having a PS3/4 and a Vita helps a lot as well with getting 6 games, instead of 3 with GOW, I have played and loved games that if it was not for PS+ I probably would never have played, although I will never get around to trying all the 400+ games in my download basket

The IGC has also been on the go for 5 years now, compared to GOW been available for just 2 years, and it is running out of high quality PS3 games with a broad appeal to offer, while the PS4 is not even 2 years old yet and AAA titles will not be seen for another couple of months at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I've paid for 3 years of PS+ and have only played Dragons Dogma, Catherine, Uncharted Vita, Gravity Rush and a few indies. Not great value for money but I have a nice backlog!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Dragons Dogma :eek: What a fecking gem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Dragons Dogma :eek: What a fecking gem

Yeah I was chuffed with that one. Dark Arisen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Not to be mean here but xbox live is much better valve then PSN+. I pay 25 euros a year for it 1/2 of what i pay for PSN+. You get the same amount of games as well.

Like Pool nation fx for three months in a row :P

Yeah it sucks ps+ is not region free while Xbox live gold can be got for €30 normally. I wonder how much Microsoft is losing due to these third party sellers....

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Free games and people still complain :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Last month I got gears of war 3 for the 360 that's all ready better then all 6 games on the PSN+ this month I am sorry to say

It's all down to personal taste at the end of the day. GOW3 is a decent game but just more of the same if you've played the others.

For me personally it's nice to experience a new game like the Tomb Raider game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

@AngryDiMaria, just because they're free doesn't mean they're not shíte.

In any case, I've liked about a third of the PS+ games in the last year, which way more than justifies the cost for me. Even at that, even not liking most of the games, it's still great value for money in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Last month I got gears of war 3 for the 360 that's all ready better then all 6 games on the PSN+ this month I am sorry to say

To be fair, Gears of War 3, while a great game, is almost 4 years old now. I wouldn't be happy getting 4 year old games every month, cause if I wanted to play the game, I would have in the 4 years it came out.

Also, play Rocket League. You may re-think your opinions on PS+ games afterwards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Rocket League > Gears of War 3 :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Free games and people still complain :rolleyes:

They aren't free.

I'm pretty happy with the Plus output but I'm happy to play and try anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

I don't know how popular this is going to be but I think €50 per year for access to online gaming is reasonable. The amount of ****ty experiences I've had in the past with lag, dropped connections etc... if Sony need to invest in the network to make it work properly and pay for it's ongoing maintenance I'm happy to contribute to it for the amount of entertainment I get out of it.

So I see the monthly games as a bonus. Have a PS 3 and PS4 so I get 4/5 'free' games per month, and it's generally stuff I'd never try. Everyone wins, and it works out at .96 cent per week. Quit yer damn griping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

To be honest I still see it as paying for these monthly games as at the moment Sony haven't proved that they have improved the network.

And if anyone follows this thread they can probably tell that I generally like most PS+ lineups.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

^ I think this is one of the problems. I don't mind paying the €50 and think it's very good value but they certainly haven't improved the network from the days when it was free.

What problems do you experience with the network?

Well the 2 that spring to mind immediately are download speeds being all over the place and constantly being kicked from parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Orizio wrote: »
    They aren't free.

I'm pretty happy with the Plus output but I'm happy to play and try anything.

For PS4 users who play online, yes they are free for as long as you are a member. For PS3, not so much as online play is free.

Just like a buy 2 get 1 free offer in a shop.

With the Sony network struggling, that's pure demand. Sony had no idea in their wildest dreams that they would have almost 24 million consoles sold at this stage of the life cycle. It has 90% console market share in some EU countries and 70% market share install base in Europe. Thats amazing and shocking at the same time. They have massive network scaling works to do to manage all that traffic.

tok9 wrote: »
    Well the 2 that spring to mind immediately are download speeds being all over the place and constantly being kicked from parties.

A spike in traffic is going to be inevitable (especially with PS Plus at the beginning of the month), and hence the download speeds can sometimes be slower than usual. It's the nature of any online service.

What's the party thing you're talking about?

tigger123 wrote: »
    A spike in traffic is going to be inevitable (especially with PS Plus at the beginning of the month), and hence the download speeds can sometimes be slower than usual. It's the nature of any online service.

What's the party thing you're talking about?

It happens all the time, not just when the PS+ games are released. The fact that pausing it and resuming it a few times tends to fix it shows there is an issue.

There are nights where I will be in a chat party and I will just be removed from the party constantly all night. The other day I was kicked within a minute everytime I joined the party.

This doesn't always happen but it happens enough that I'm really annoyed with it.

Didn't even know the chat thing existed, but if it's a bug bear that's fair enough. I've never had issues with downloads. I just set them up and forget about them till the notification pops up.

I guess the overall point I'm making is that the system works (for me at least), and for that reason it represents good value. There's also maintenance costs, licenses to pay for, r and d etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

With the Sony network struggling, that's pure demand. Sony had no idea in their wildest dreams that they would have almost 24 million consoles sold at this stage of the life cycle. It has 90% console market share in some EU countries and 70% market share install base in Europe. Thats amazing and shocking at the same time. They have massive network scaling works to do to manage all that traffic.

That's a poor excuse in my opinion. PSN has always been sub-par, even in the PS3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Benzino wrote: »
    That's a poor excuse in my opinion. PSN has always been sub-par, even in the PS3 days.

It has, it improved a bit but it's still not good but it's the reality of it not an excuse. MS have less users but more and far better equipped servers and data centres than Sony.

MS has it's EU XBL servers based in Dublin in a relatively new facility. Sony are broke and don't have the money to invest, only the Playstation brand is profit making for them while their phone section are just about to start breaking even. They are losing cash on their Bravia TVs due to competition from Samsung and LG.

Nintendo and MS have money to burn while Sony are not really in a comfortable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Spent the weekend playing through ICO for the first time, on the last bit now. What a beautiful, emotional, enthralling game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Sony's online service is very lacking. It's even more frustrating now that they're charging for online access. Microsoft has had a headstart since they made players pay last generation, but I hope to see an improvement on PS soon.
    sweetie wrote: »
    Spent the weekend playing through ICO for the first time, on the last bit now. What a beautiful, emotional, enthralling game.
    Have you played Shadow of the Colossus? If not, you know what to pick up next. I'm crossing my fingers for The Last Guardian to deliver another memorable experience.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

Orizio wrote: »
    They aren't free.

I get games every month on both Xbox and PlayStation which I don't pay a penny for so I guess that means free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know if the psn summer sale will be updated this week? On the verge of getting fifa 15 for 20 quid as i need something to tide me over for the next month. Not sure whether to hold out if the sale gets updated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    Have you played Shadow of the Colossus? If not, you know what to pick up next. I'm crossing my fingers for The Last Guardian to deliver another memorable experience.

Not yet, it's sitting invitingly on my HD right beside ICO. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anyone know if the psn summer sale will be updated this week? On the verge of getting fifa 15 for 20 quid as i need something to tide me over for the next month. Not sure whether to hold out if the sale gets updated though.

Yeah it's updated on Wednesday with new offers that will probably run for 2 weeks. The offers usually go live in the morning but don't be posted on blog until after 12. Some of the offers from the previous 2 weeks don't end until Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I get games every month on both Xbox and PlayStation which I don't pay a penny for so I guess that means free :)

If you didnt pay your €50 a year you would not be getting those games every month so there paid for,imo anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I have not gotten near this months games yet. Finished Far Cry 4 at the weekend and decided to take some time out playing some of the freebies. Jumped into Styx.
    I am totally hooked.
    Fantastic game, reminds me a lot of some older ones, can't remember the names. I suck at fighting or defense, but I get that I'm meant to. Bit like stealth metal gear (original) but played as a troll type against medieval soldiers.

So far my favourite of the PS+ ones in quite a while.
    (excluding this month, but I already bought a lot of them - limbo & tomb raider).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement