Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Honestly can't see how anyone could be disappointed with PS+. It's a fantastic offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Honestly can't see how anyone could be disappointed with PS+. It's a fantastic offering.

There's nothing much there to interest me this month but them's the breaks, it's paid for itself many times over since I've been using it.

I do wonder how many of the people that complain every month are the type that would probably download and try the games just because they're "free" with the subscription they pay to play FIFA/COD/Battlefield online. There's not many games that would drag the hardcores away from those titles, little indie games won't get the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

There's nothing much there to interest me this month but them's the breaks, it's paid for itself many times over since I've been using it.

I do wonder how many of the people that complain every month are the type that would probably download and try the games just because they're "free" with the subscription they pay to play FIFA/COD/Battlefield online. There's not many games that would drag the hardcores away from those titles, little indie games won't get the time of day.
    Every month I tell my 11 year old to purchase the plus games even though you have no interest in playing them because one day you will grow up and get bored of playing all the COD and FIFA games and you will regret not having got all these great games while they were free. He still doesn't listen....he also thinks he's a hardcore gamer:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

That roughly me, MGSV and Rocket League are the only ones that got any significant game time from me. Whatever the little skateboarding one was was fun for a while too. Most of the games remind me of good flash in-browser games though tbh, when I'm sitting down to actually play games (and not d:cking around) I want something more meaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

I do wonder how many of the people that complain every month are the type that would probably download and try the games just because they're "free" with the subscription they pay to play FIFA/COD/Battlefield online.
    Isnt this blatantly obvious?

Most console players are casual gamers with limited time, only interested in playing particular titles. PS4 isnt a platform for serious gamers, those people are on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Most console players are casual gamers with limited time, only interested in playing particular titles. PS4 isnt a platform for serious gamers, those people are on PC.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

I mostly am dissapointed with plus because i also have a xbox one and compare it's offerings to that.

For example, last 3 months i've gotten assassins creed black flag, mgs: ground zeroes and now the walking dead season 1 amongst the free games for gold yet all PS+ offers has been at max 8bit indie titles that would belong on a barcode battler. While some indie games have shone through and are great games (eg:contrast,resogun), some should never have been released. The deals also are a big factor, only recently now PS+ has begun giving decent discounts but from the day i got the xbox one i have been getting deals with 40%, 75% off games and most the time you're lucky to get 2 euro off a game for been a plus member. I can't help but compare the two services and at present the games for gold is winning for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

SharpCoder wrote: »
    I mostly am dissapointed with plus because i also have a xbox one and compare it's offerings to that.

For example, last 3 months i've gotten assassins creed black flag, mgs: ground zeroes and now the walking dead season 1 amongst the free games for gold yet all PS+ offers has been at max 8bit indie titles that would belong on a barcode battler. While some indie games have shone through and are great games (eg:contrast,resogun), some should never have been released. The deals also are a big factor, only recently now PS+ has begun giving decent discounts but from the day i got the xbox one i have been getting deals with 40%, 75% off games and most the time you're lucky to get 2 euro off a game for been a plus member. I can't help but compare the two services and at present the games for gold is winning for me.

PS+ got Ground Zeroes ages ago. It also got the standalone expansion for InFamous so it hasn't only been little indie titles. Plus the first season of Walking Dead came out 3 & a half years ago on an older generation of console so I don't see how that's a great positive.

I do agree that the games on + have been disappointing lately though but the constant cyclical monthly complaining in this thread grows tiresome. I'll be interested in seeing the reaction when there is a big game put up - I suspect there are people who will still complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I don't consider myself a serious gamer. Any PC players I know don't consider themselves serious gamers.
    What in your opinion is a serious gamer? Somebody who makes a living from it? A sun-fearing mother's basement dweller?

There is no specific platform for serious or casual gamers. To think otherwise is dumb and either childish or elitist.

PS+ got Ground Zeroes ages ago. It also got the standalone expansion for InFamous so it hasn't only been little indie titles. Plus the first season of Walking Dead came out 3 & a half years ago on an older generation of console so I don't see how that's a great positive.

I do agree that the games on + have been disappointing lately though but the constant cyclical monthly complaining in this thread grows tiresome. I'll be interested in seeing the reaction when there is a big game put up - I suspect there are people who will still complain.

Forgot to mention gold also got tomb raider definitive edition this month also, while infamous exapnsion was good, it should have been the stock game offered if you ask me, not the exapnsion and while walking dead is old, it still hasn't appeared on the plus platform and i base it on that, the game(s) offfered and discounts, if we were to base it on the network end, there wouldn't be much to argue.

I also was one of the PS4 firmware 3 beta users and they didn't listen to anything we reported or asked for, sony while on the pedastal of sales, need to not lose focus on their promises of console for gamers focusing on games. I mean if i wanted just indie titles most the time i'd just stick to steam and get them for a fraction of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Thats bull****, but its an argument for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

And how did arkham knight work out for them?

I can't agree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Serious gamers. Don't mess with them. I heard they're very serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Grayditch wrote: »
    Serious gamers. Don't mess with them. I heard they're very serious.

They're not allowed to enjoy playing games. It's in their rule book. Their serious rule book about serious gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

SharpCoder wrote: »
    Forgot to mention gold also got tomb raider definitive edition this month also, while infamous exapnsion was good, it should have been the stock game offered if you ask me, not the exapnsion and while walking dead is old, it still hasn't appeared on the plus platform and i base it on that, the game(s) offfered and discounts, if we were to base it on the network end, there wouldn't be much to argue.

I also was one of the PS4 firmware 3 beta users and they didn't listen to anything we reported or asked for, sony while on the pedastal of sales, need to not lose focus on their promises of console for gamers focusing on games. I mean if i wanted just indie titles most the time i'd just stick to steam and get them for a fraction of the cost.

Aye I agree it should have been the full game, just pointing out it's not only been 8bit indie titles as you implied & in my opinion the 3 Gold games you listed weren't a great improvement (though I am surprised Plus hasn't put up Black Flag not that I'd personally be too interested in it). Anything else is fair enough as I know nothing about 3.0 or its beta & have no knowledge of Gold discounts on Xbox but I have been happy with Plus discounts of late which as you said have seen a decent improvement. I think there were a lot of good offers over the summer, a few of which I availed of despite still being mostly a disc buyer.

I think that PS+ is far superior to Games with Gold, only had my Xbox One a few months but even looking back at the free games and it's not all that impressive. The Walking Dead for free is all well and good but it's almost four years old at this stage and it's a little poor that it's both the free game for the One and the 360. If it was on Plus, you'd also be getting another free game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I wish we had the option of EA access on PS4. I'd rather pay a sub for that. It's all a matter of taste of course, some people enjoy the plus offerings but imo it's poor value for my tastes. However when anyone mentions that the games on plus are poor, they are attacked because sure how could anyone not love playing cheap 8bit imitations of games that were out 20 years ago? I get it some people enjoy these, but there are also people who don't want and have no interest in playing these games as a reward for a plus sub.

There are a lot of games on the store at present that would make a good alternative to these crappy platformers and half arsed, half baked games they give us. Pure pool, Surgeon Simulator, octodad to name a few. The taste wouldn't be so bitter if there was at least one playable title each month that might last longer than 5 mins before being deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Deep Six wrote: »
    I wish we had the option of EA access on PS4. I'd rather pay a sub for that. It's all a matter of taste of course, some people enjoy the plus offerings but imo it's poor value for my tastes. However when anyone mentions that the games on plus are poor, they are attacked because sure how could anyone not love playing cheap 8bit imitations of games that were out 20 years ago? I get it some people enjoy these, but there are also people who don't want and have no interest in playing these games as a reward for a plus sub.

There are a lot of games on the store at present that would make a good alternative to these crappy platformers and half arsed, half baked games they give us. Pure pool, Surgeon Simulator, octodad to name a few. The taste wouldn't be so bitter if there was at least one playable title each month that might last longer than 5 mins before being deleted.

I would take any of these supposed "cheap 8bit imitations" over the likes of Fifa and CoD any day, but like I said you can not please everybody, you will always have moaners no matter what the quality of games are like.

It really does not take much understanding as to why we have not seen AA games yet, I state it every month, but people seem not to see the bigger picture, hell it is not even really Sony's fault.

The simple fact is that if you compare the amount of games that were released on the PS2/3 in their first two years and compare that to the amount that has been released on the PS4, it is paltry in comparison.

Developers do not want their games being free yet, Sony is not able to just throw any game up, due to such a small pool of AA games available most are still selling relatively well, even digital only games are selling quite well.

I would take any of these supposed "cheap 8bit imitations" over the likes of Fifa and CoD any day, but like you said you can not please everybody and everyone has different tastes, while some just buy the same two games every year and you will always have moaners no matter what the quality of games are like.

It really does not take much understanding as to why we have not seen AA games yet, I state it every month, but people seem not to see the bigger picture, hell it is not even really Sony's fault.

The simple fact is that if you compare the amount of games that were released on the PS2/3 in their first two years and compare that to the amount that has been released on the PS4, it is paltry in comparison.

Developers do not want their games being free yet, Sony is not able to just throw any game up, due to such a small pool of AA games available most are still selling relatively well, even digital only games are selling quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Xenji wrote: »
    I would take any of these supposed "cheap 8bit imitations" over the likes of Fifa and CoD any day, but like you said you can not please everybody and everyone has different tastes, while some just buy the same two games every year and you will always have moaners no matter what the quality of games are like.

Ah here, I have no issue with the rest of your post, but this is nonsense. "Quality of games" is entirely subjective. If you like a game, it's of high quality TO YOU. Nothing else really matters. You can't go around calling people moaners because they don't like indie games, people have different tastes, and as is the case with indie games, you have to wade through a lot of tripe to get to the good stuff. Tired of people putting indie games on a pedestal, simply because they are indie games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

martyos121 wrote: »
    Ah here, I have no issue with the rest of your post, but this is nonsense. "Quality of games" is entirely subjective. If you like a game, it's of high quality TO YOU. Nothing else really matters. You can't go around calling people moaners because they don't like indie games, people have different tastes, and as is the case with indie games, you have to wade through a lot of tripe to get to the good stuff. Tired of people putting indie games on a pedestal, simply because they are indie games.

He's talking about moaners in general. Like if Black Flag went up people would moan about it being an old game. Or that they bought it on sale a while ago. Every single month will cause moaning. Its easier to ignore it.

martyos121 wrote: »

I did not mean between indie games and AA games, I meant for the full spectrum, like when Knack comes out and it will be the first AA game to come out, some people will be moaning about it whether it is due to a 40 gig plus download, its a kids game, they already have it, bad reviews ect....

You could get MGS V out next month hypothetically and someone would still be moaning.
    He's talking about moaners in general. Like if Black Flag went up people would moan about it being an old game. Or that they bought it on sale a while ago. Every single month will cause moaning. Its easier to ignore it.

Yep that sums it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I wonder will Sony consider reducing or ending the Vita and PS3 offerings? That might help the PS4 offerings get better.

Looking forward to the free games for November and December as Sony and MS try to impress the Christmas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    I wonder will Sony consider reducing or ending the Vita and PS3 offerings? That might help the PS4 offerings get better.

Looking forward to the free games for November and December as Sony and MS try to impress the Christmas market.

Can't see that happening after the big fanfare made about offering games on all platforms. And realistically the PS3 has the richest catalog to draw on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

RedXIV wrote: »
    Can't see that happening after the big fanfare made about offering games on all platforms. And realistically the PS3 has the richest catalog to draw on.

and it's not costing them much at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is the only thing I found frustrating about these endlessly repeating discussions. I don't care if people don't like these games, even if 'these games' is a very broad concept. I think it's a shame people don't give independent games a chance, but it's their decision and opinion. But I do think the sweeping generalisations are unfair and inaccurate.

Even ignoring the many games that do not at all conform to the descriptions above - have you tried Grow Home yet? Whole lot more engaging and elegantly designed than novelty games like Surgeon Simulator - many of the so-called 16-bit style games are substantially more involved and modernised than their retro inspirations. Something like Super Time Force does on a surface level look like something like Contra, but ten minutes with its paradox-happy gameplay will very clearly illustrate something else entirely. No more so than looking at the latest Wolfenstein and saying 'what, we're still shooting Nazis in the face like its 1992, albeit with slightly prettier faces?', dismissing them all with a sweeping gesture is ludicrous. The best retro-tinged independent games draw on their inspirations while evolving them at the same time into something fresh, and we've seen plenty of them on PS Plus. We've seen clunkers too - Mercenary Kings and a few others - but hey thems the breaks.

And it's vitally important to not lump all games with a 2D or isometric perspective into one category - games like Dust, Valiant Hearts, Transistor, Hohokum, Limbo, The Swapper and Broken Age take serious advantage of modern graphical tech and game design knowledge to create uniquely contemporary experiences. Anyone contesting otherwise really doesn't remember how NES or even SNES games looked or played :P

Again, if people are insistent on dismissing all 2D games or ones with retro inspirations, cool, that's your call, and it's likely you're going to go on being frustrated by some of the PS Plus selections. And nobody is obligated to actually like the games (I'd be more than satisfied with even one good game a month alongside less than stellar ones). But let's not pretend that five minutes play or - as another poster very clearly suggested - no time at all with these games is enough to come to an informed decision about their success or lack thereof, or whether they're 'half-arsed, half-baked'. And we also need to stop ignoring the games that do not fit the regurgitated descriptions we see here - games like Rocket League, Outlast, The Unfinished Swan, MGSV: Ground Zeroes etc...

Continue criticising PS Plus all you like - it is, at the end of the day, a money-making subscription service from a multi-national corporation offering a lucky dip of games every month. But when criticising the games themselves, at least make the effort to do so fairly, accurately and on an individual basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

RedXIV wrote: »

You are not wrong but they are dead platforms now. The plus offerings have not been AAA for them lately either.

I think that PS+ is far superior to Games with Gold, only had my Xbox One a few months but even looking back at the free games and it's not all that impressive. The Walking Dead for free is all well and good but it's almost four years old at this stage and it's a little poor that it's both the free game for the One and the 360. If it was on Plus, you'd also be getting another free game.

it's very different now, but i will admit it's the little things that make me sway to game for gold, for example, games for gold members get to keep their games, plus members do not, and starting november, all games for gold free xbox 360 games will also be playable on the xbox one, and you can't deny that's quite the available libary. The walking dead games may be old but they're still great games and getting it for free is all that sweeter. I just wish plus games were just a little bit better, as much as i like some indie games, some coming out are just terrible.

On the bright side, i just got 2 keys for the need for speed beta, one for the ps4 and one for the xbox one, first person to message me asking for the ps4 one can have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Is Playstation Now available in Ireland? Is it a part of PS+?

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »
    Is Playstation Now available in Ireland? Is it a part of PS+?

Not yet and it will cost more, it was fully released in the US in January, but is still really in an advanced beta stage and by the time we get it here next year, it will probably have changed quite a bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement