Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

cadete wrote: »
    The same argument goes both ways what's your point?

The point is that just because you get disconnected from the PSN does not mean the service is at fault. It's most likely your internet and before you trot out the "I have amazing internet" line, remember that even the fastest line can fail and have issues. I can't recall the last time I was kicked from an online mode of any title on the PS. nor have I had any issues with downloading in recent memory. The last time we had an issue it turned out to be an issue with UPC and not the PSN. It's worth keeping in mind before you get all angry about the crappy service as the vast majority of people don't seem to have an issue with it so it may be worth looking at your own set up rather than trying to lay the blame at the easiest target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

So after spending €400 on a console with crappy paid for online service if you don't like it tough, is your answer? Personally kicked 5 times in 24hours yesterday and that is acceptable?
    I and many others ONLY pay for multiplayer!
    But the standard rebuttal again if you don't like it don't pay for it! Is that the only argument available? If your car breaks down every 5 miles and you take it back would you accept "if you don't like it don't drive it"

The only way it will improve is if the community makes enough noise that Sony has to start improvements,

Yet to be kicked from the network myself, just asked a friend if he has ever been kicked and he says he can't remember it happening and he plays about 3 hours of fifa every day online since the ps4 was released.

Seems the problem is most likely on your end. You should do some troubleshooting and figure out what the problem is.

PSN is more than adequate for me. I have a ps3 and a vita as well so for €50 a year I get 66 games, access to online gaming and good bargains throughout the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

PSN is more than adequate for me. I have a ps3 and a vita as well so for €50 a year I get 66 games, access to online gaming and good bargains throughout the year.

Is it not 72 games per year, 6 games per month? That's not even taking into account some of the trilogy sets that are given - Hitman, Jak & Daxter etc

Whatever number it is its added to the backlog that I'll never finish :(

Owning all three systems is the best way to get full benefit from the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

The point is that just because you get disconnected from the PSN does not mean the service is at fault. It's most likely your internet and before you trot out the "I have amazing internet" line, remember that even the fastest line can fail and have issues. I can't recall the last time I was kicked from an online mode of any title on the PS. nor have I had any issues with downloading in recent memory. The last time we had an issue it turned out to be an issue with UPC and not the PSN. It's worth keeping in mind before you get all angry about the crappy service as the vast majority of people don't seem to have an issue with it so it may be worth looking at your own set up rather than trying to lay the blame at the easiest target.

my mates internet must have the same fault aswell then considering we both got kicked,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

my mates internet must have the same fault aswell then considering we both got kicked,

Just as likely if you are on the same provider/exchange

• Advertisement

van_beano wrote: »
    Is it not 72 games per year, 6 games per month? That's not even taking into account some of the trilogy sets that are given - Hitman, Jak & Daxter etc

Whatever number it is its added to the backlog that I'll never finish :(

Owning all three systems is the best way to get full benefit from the service.

Woops brainfart moment, I lost a month somehow :o

Yep, a lot of the games get added to the backlog but I find most month I will play at least 2 of them to completion and put a few hours into the others.

That's exactly it - the month when there's no games of interest is when you play the ones you got previously!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

So after spending €400 on a console with crappy paid for online service if you don't like it tough, is your answer? Personally kicked 5 times in 24hours yesterday and that is acceptable?
    I and many others ONLY pay for multiplayer!
    But the standard rebuttal again if you don't like it don't pay for it! Is that the only argument available? If your car breaks down every 5 miles and you take it back would you accept "if you don't like it don't drive it"

The only way it will improve is if the community makes enough noise that Sony has to start improvements,

Pure strawman. I was talking about the Ps+ titles, not online. And if you are hoping for an online service that never drops, then good luck with that - it doesn't exist.

Finally your car analogy is pure nonsense - a car's sole purpose is to bring you from a to b, a PS4 van still be used offline, including PS+ games. Moreover everyone expects an online service to have downtime; the same can't be said for a car breaking down.

Yet to be kicked from the network myself, just asked a friend if he has ever been kicked and he says he can't remember it happening and he plays about 3 hours of fifa every day online since the ps4 was released.

Seems the problem is most likely on your end. You should do some troubleshooting and figure out what the problem is.

Aye, I've never been kicked from PSN - I have decent internet though.

I'm also happy with the Ps+ titles but o have a varied taste in games.

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just as likely if you are on the same provider/exchange

fact hes in the uk probably debunks that theory, bnut im sure there is a reason thats not the network
    Orizio wrote: »
    Pure strawman. I was talking about the Ps+ titles, not online. And if you are hoping for an online service that never drops, then good luck with that - it doesn't exist.

Finally your car analogy is pure nonsense - a car's sole purpose is to bring you from a to b, a PS4 van still be used offline, including PS+ games. Moreover everyone expects an online service to have downtime; the same can't be said for a car breaking down.
    yes and a playstations sole purpose is to play games which it does fantasticly well....
    so what is a ps+ sub for? to play online, simple really! if i didnt want to play online i wouldnt be in this thread because it wouldnt interest me but the fact that i do is the reason i will say that the network is poor to say the least. I pay to play online, some downtime and maintenance is more than acceptable, but if is was only some it would be great! but its not!
    If those games, along with the online play, aren't good value for you, then don't bother renewing.
    only talking about ps+ you say?

• Advertisement

fact hes in the uk probably debunks that theory, bnut im sure there is a reason thats not the network

yes and a playstations sole purpose is to play games which it does fantasticly well....
    so what is a ps+ sub for? to play online, simple really! if i didnt want to play online i wouldnt be in this thread because it wouldnt interest me but the fact that i do is the reason i will say that the network is poor to say the least. I pay to play online, some downtime and maintenance is more than acceptable, but if is was only some it would be great! but its not!

only talking about ps+ you say?

Think of it this way, you are the only one right now with these issues (other than your friend, whom we don't know so have to disregard). Everyone else has had no problems for the most part with the PSN network. In a previous life I was a network engineer. If I was given an incident that contained your complaint I would 100% start with the network of the complainant and work from there. Either the fault is in your home network on in the greater network of your ISP. Almost certainly, in my educated opinion I would say that the fault is not with PSN.

I agree, it would be nice if there was a way just to pay for online and not for the games as well as I am sure there are other out there that would prefer that too, but that is not on offer so it is binary really, pay or don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

If you were a network engineer you will realise how complicated packet routing issues are and you can't jump to conclusions without investigations. How can you assume what the problem is without having any actual knowledge of the problem or his specific network?

I also have problems with psn lag etc. I used to work at a game shop and had a flow of people constantly giving out to me about psn speeds/ lag etc .compared to Microsoft superior service.
    This was when psn was free.it has not improved since having to pay 50e for it.

Just accept it. psn could be a better service.
    would you not want a better service for your hard earned money?
    Think of it this way, you are the only one right now with these issues (other than your friend, whom we don't know so have to disregard). Everyone else has had no problems for the most part with the PSN network. In a previous life I was a network engineer. If I was given an incident that contained your complaint I would 100% start with the network of the complainant and work from there. Either the fault is in your home network on in the greater network of your ISP. Almost certainly, in my educated opinion I would say that the fault is not with PSN.

I agree, it would be nice if there was a way just to pay for online and not for the games as well as I am sure there are other out there that would prefer that too, but that is not on offer so it is binary really, pay or don't pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

That does drastically reduce the number of common elements alright

If you were a network engineer you will realise how complicated packet routing issues are and you can't jump to conclusions without investigations. How can you assume what the problem is without having any actual knowledge of the problem or his specific network?

I also have problems with psn lag etc. I used to work at a game shop and had a flow of people constantly giving out to me about psn speeds/ lag etc .compared to Microsoft superior service.
    This was when psn was free.it has not improved since having to pay 50e for it.

Perhaps read my post again? I said I would start in his network as in my educated opinion that is where the fault would most likely fall in this instance as the failure rate is rather large compared to the norm (5 drops in a day is abnormal and logic would lead me to start in his network) I would then continue to trace the problem if it turned out not to be where I initially thought it would be.

I fully understand how packets work as I work with them every day, both in a physical hardware sense and a software sense.

Of course it could be a better service, you can say that about anything. The simple fact is though that the service works very well for most people and when you have been through enough tickets as I have you start to see patterns in complaints in where issues usually occur.

I don't disagree the PSN used to be horrible back in the early ps3 days though.

I am not a fan boy by the way, far from it. I only bought the ps4 for exclusives and play everything else on my PC. I just think that the PSN is adequate for what it does and offers great value.

You could use this argument to complain about absolutely everything and anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

You could use this argument to complain about absolutely everything and anything.

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Do you have a point?

He made it, your statement can be applied to anything and everything in life. It's a stone wall argument statement about any and all payed services that have ever existed or will ever exist. Can't please everyone all of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Just bought Grim Fandango last month to play over Christmas but I'm happy enough with everything else on offer. I was just going to buy DA:O as well so I'm glad I held off. Playing Rocketbirds on the Vita at the moment and I'm really enjoying it. Glad I got it with Plus because I never would have played it otherwise.

If those games, along with the online play, aren't good value for you, then don't bother renewing.
    You and others only seem to use the one arguement aswell, which as you say can be used for everything!
    I don't disagree the PSN used to be horrible back in the early ps3 days though.

I am not a fan boy by the way, far from it. I only bought the ps4 for exclusives and play everything else on my PC. I just think that the PSN is adequate for what it does and offers great value.

It is a very fair point it has improved and improved vastly which i have said here in the past, but for €50 a year i really dont feel its good enough,
    As a pc player you may use steam which is free, would you say psn is on par with the service provided by steam?

It is a very fair point it has improved and improved vastly which i have said here in the past, but for €50 a year i really dont feel its good enough,
    As a pc player you may use steam which is free, would you say psn is on par with the service provided by steam?

PSN and steam are not comparable though in this instance.

Steam mostly is just a storefront, developers have to supply their own online service. Steam does offer steamworks alright, which is steam's API for achievements and such but that is as far as it goes.

As for game downloads I do usually get faster speeds on steam but not by much. I might get 150Mbits/sec on steam while on the PSN I will get 100Mbits/sec. It varies though but often Steam is faster.

I also do not get free games each month. I do get cheaper games though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've not been kicked off of PSN since the PS3. We don't have the same downtime that we used to have either. I've never played on XBL so can't compare it to that but the improvement in the past year seems well worth the 50 quid to me.

Download speeds are an issue but as I said a few weeks ago they seems to have massively improved too. I downloaded Pro Evo (18gb I think) just before Christmas in less than half an hour.

Do you have a point?

Do you have to be sarcastic? :rolleyes: My point was blatantly obvious - your argument was so general it was utterly useless.

your argument was so general it was utterly useless.

A bit like if you don't like don't pay it would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So is it Wednesday when the new games come online ? looking forward to Grim Fandango almost bought it a few weeks ago in one of the sales

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

So is it Wednesday when the new games come online ? looking forward to Grim Fandango almost bought it a few weeks ago in one of the sales

First Tuesday of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

F1ngers wrote: »
    First Tuesday of the month.

The last few months they have started to pop up at midnight as well, used to be lunchtime or after before the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Sure has been feisty in here the last few days.

Happy new year folks :)

May we all get what we want miraculously from Playstation in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Here here, less bitching about psn would be welcome . All I care to see in this thread is the monthly games and some insight into what the game are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

some insight into what the game are like.

****e mostly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭dohboy

Doge wrote:
    Here here, less bitching about psn would be welcome . All I care to see in this thread is the monthly games and some insight into what the game are like.

Yeh, God forbid people discuss PSN in a PSN Discussion Thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement