Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

that's film rental is already around for the some of the other regions, Ireland is meant to be soon after Canada sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Ugh so we'll be waiting a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,997 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sounds a bit mucky to be honest.

I'm all for a Playstation Plus service if it actually rewards you for being a subscriber, but it seems to just turf you out once your subscription expires.

If the games remained yours, I'd probably be sold, but as they become deleted on expiration, no thanks.

Cross-game chat ability only on plus is just bent, and trying to hold users to ransom.

Sony, I love ya, but you can keep Playstation Plus to yourself.

Sounds a bit mucky to be honest.
    If the games remained yours, I'd probably be sold, but as they become deleted on expiration, no thanks.

wipeout is €24.99 by itself why would they give that fully for €50 a year, the fact that if you renew you may not be able to re-access the last year worth of stuff is a bit bad.
    Cross-game chat ability only on plus is just bent, and trying to hold users to ransom.
    we don't have that now, if you have a free psn account you won't loose anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't give a damn about cross game chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I'll probably be getting it once i start gaming properly again, sometime in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

The whole thing of them not being able to guarantee that you'll get your content back if there's a gap between your subscriptions is an absolute joke.

That's what would really put me off it. It really means you're stuck to renew the subscription as soon as it ends. WHat if you happen to have problems with your internet connection or other things that mean you can't renew in time? Everything is gone... That's absolute bullsh*t

Varik wrote: »
    wipeout is €24.99 by itself why would they give that fully for €50 a year, the fact that if you renew you may not be able to re-access the last year worth of stuff is a bit bad.

we don't have that now, if you have a free psn account you won't loose anything.

You're right, but maybe I didn't express myself correctly. What I mean is that for such a simple feature, to put it on a "premium level" is a bit bent. If you have friends playing one game online, it would be great to chat to them across the game and invite them to your game. I won't lose any sleep over it at all, but my point was that withholding such a simple feature is quite annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Would it be better to sign up for a Plus account on the EU or US store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't give a damn about cross game chat.

well.. its a damn small % beside the want crowd.

cared about this a year ago.. til i burned one too many bridges! so i'll imagine i still do. n agree with the FireballPitcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

just caught wind of this

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/cross-game-chat-will-not-be-available-at-playstation-plus-launch.html

i hate the rumour mill anyhow. wait n see if its there on launch.. but check first if its an initiative to subscribe, for you.

the whole PSN+ thing simply has to reek on more levels than the positives, maybe they put this cross-chat suggestion out there emselves, to entice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

sofireland wrote: »
    They mentioned film rentals in the new ts and cs although i know it isn't directly related to the PSN+ is this that film rental is imminent?

We are getting MUBI in October/Nov time in Ireland. Mubi is for world cinema and other less known indi films. Some free flicks so how bad ? i reckon it will have some gems mixed in with plenty of rubbish. Does include films from the Coen Brothers and Tarintino.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Most of you probably did not read the new terms of service when signing in to psn.

There is some stuff on psn+

type 1: Subscriber content that you keep after it expires, includes avatars and themes only.

type 2: After expiration you won't be able to access psn games, psone games, minis or premium DLC.

the worst part is that if you don't renew right away you may loose the type 2 stuff that you had when you do renew.

Wrong

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/24/playstation-plus-your-questions-answered/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=psplus_062410

"Once downloaded, the games are yours to keep and play as long as you are a member of PlayStation Plus. If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them. Additionally, if you delete one of the titles from your PS3, but decide you want to get it back, then you can re-download from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store if the game is still there, or, if the game has expired from the PlayStation Plus section of the PSN Store, you can simply search for it on PS Store and download it again at no extra cost."

Also, http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/06/23/playstation-plus-explained/

"If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription"

Month 1: June 29th – August 3rd

* Intro offer: LBP (standard edition)
    * PSN PS3: Wipeout HD
    * minis: Field Runners, Age of Zombies
    * PSone: Destruction Derby
    * Full Game Trial: Shatter, Savage Moon
    * Discounts: LBP God of War Pack – 50%, LBP: LocoRoco costume pack – 50%, Gravity Crash – 20%, Fat Princess DLC – 20%
    * Premium Game Element: KillZone 2: Steel & Titanium DLC
    * Push demo: ModNation Racers, Heavy Rain
    * Themes: LBP Theme, SCEE produced: PlayStation “Game Is Just The Start” Dynamic Theme
    * 2 x Fat Princess Premium Avatars

Month 2: August 4th – September 1st

* PSN PS3: Zen Pinball
    * minis: Blast-Off, Alien Zombie Death
    * PSone: Medievil
    * Full Game Trial: Inferno Pool, Mushroom Wars
    * Discounts: Zen Pinball Earth Defence Table – 20%, Warhawk Triple Combo Pack – 50%, Super Stardust HD - 20%, WipeOutHD Fury – 20%
    * Premium Game Elements: Motorstorm Pacific Rift: Adrenaline Pack
    * Push Demo: Flower, Pixel Junk Shooter
    * Themes: “SCEE produced: PlayStation + Dynamic Theme (in production), Heavy Rain Crime Scene Theme
    * 2 x Heavy Rain Avatars (Bird and Butterfly)

Glad I didn't buy those killzone 2 maps. This is fantastic value I have to say. Makes Microsoft's gold subscription look like robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

I think ill go for this myself. I dont know what the fuss is about, you get some free stuff, some discounts and a little extra functionality. Standard PSN keeps all its functionality.
    Not sure why everyone is getting so worked up about it.

But seeing Destruction Derby, Age of Zombies (which is supposed to be a little gem), Killzone 2 DLC, LBP theme and discount on Fat Princess DLC has decided it for me really.

About the fact that its really just loaning of the free games in reality, if you do get them back when you resubscribe meh.
    It wouldnt be an issue for me anyway, i havent played a console game compelling enough to play for more than a couple of months since the PS2 or Dreamcast were around.
    The only place i find any games with longevity is on the pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it does look like decent enough value, i might just get it, when you throw in the free months if you subscribe for the year at the start.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Wrong

Wrong

i said may and the terms say you may lose your rights to access any Type 2 Subscriber Content.
    If your subscription lapses and then you re-subscribe, the games you have already downloaded will reactivate, so you still have access to them.

the terms may mean that Sony is just covering their a** legally or that even if you can use the download again you won't have the right to download it an additional time.

PlayStation®Plus

When you purchase a subscription to PlayStation®Plus you will have access to a variety of content ("Subscriber Content"), discounts and services ("Subscriber Services") which will vary throughout your Subscription Period. Some Subscriber Content and Services will only operate on PlayStation®3.

Some Subscriber Content may be made available for download during limited periods only. If you do not download this Subscriber Content during those periods, you will not be able to download that Subscriber Content. Unless otherwise notified at the time of download, your ongoing rights to access and use Subscriber Content after your Subscription Period expires are as set out below:

Type 1. You will still be able to access and use the following Subscriber Content after your Subscription Period expires, provided that you downloaded it before expiry:

Premium avatars
    Premium themes
    Type 2. You will no longer be able to access and use the following Subscriber Content after your Subscription Period expires, even if you downloaded it before expiry:

PlayStation®Network games
    PS one® games
    Minis
    Premium game elements
    If you do not renew your subscription immediately at the end of each Subscription Period, but later renew your subscription, you may lose your rights to access any Type 2 Subscriber Content.

Subscriber Content may also be available for non-subscribers to purchase from the PlayStation®Store.

Subscriber Services are only available for subscribers to access and use during the Subscription Period. Additional terms relating to individual Subscriber Services are set out below:

Automatic download
    You can choose to activate automatic download on your PlayStation®3 via System Settings on the XMB. This feature can only be activated or deactivated by one PSN account per PlayStation®3 and the setting will then apply to all PSN accounts registered to that console. Each PSN account may only activate this feature on one PlayStation®3 at a time. When automatic download is activated on your console, provided that the console is on stand-by and connected to the internet, the console will be automatically activated approximately every 48 hours during a time period set by you. During that period, various content such as system software, game patches and game demos may be automatically downloaded to the console (“Automatically Downloaded Content”). Any system software updates made available as Automatically Downloaded Content will not be installed until you have accepted the relevant terms for that system software. Game patches will be based on the games most recently played on your console. There may be a limit on the number of automatically downloaded game demos available per console at any time. Once this limit is reached, un-accessed game demos may be deleted to make room for new game demos during each subsequent automatic download. Automatically Downloaded Content which has not been accessed within one month of download may be automatically deleted from your console. Automatically Downloaded Content may not be downloaded if the remaining disk space on your console is less than 5GB, your console is already switched on at the time you have chosen for the automatic download or the system software is not the most recent release. Automatic Download does not affect your rights and obligations set out in Clause 10.

Discounts
    From time to time, during your Subscription Period, you will be offered discounted prices on certain PlayStation®Store content. Rights to that content will be specified in the product description at the time of purchase.

Early access to new releases
    From time to time, during your Subscription Period, you may have the chance to purchase new releases on the PlayStation®Store before they become available to non-subscribers.

Full game trial
    From time to time, during your Subscription Period you may be offered the opportunity to download full versions of games to play on a free trial basis. The length of the trial will be specified in the product description. You must be connected to the PSN when the game is booted for the first time. The trial period will run from first boot. During the trial period, save files will be created and trophies can be unlocked, but will not be uploaded to the server. If you later purchase the game, your saved files and trophies will be applied.

Priority access to beta game titles
    From time to time during your Subscription Period, you may be offered priority access to beta game titles. Participation in beta trials is not guaranteed, and will be subject to Additional Terms.

2smiggy wrote: »
    it does look like decent enough value, i might just get it, when you throw in the free months if you subscribe for the year at the start.
    That's US. only, E.U. gets littlebigplanet instead.

That's US. only, E.U. gets littlebigplanet instead.

Anyone looked into the trade in price of lbp not the goty version.

Anyone looked into the trade in price of lbp not the goty version.

10 or 15 I think.

LBP is €13 trade-in in gamestop. I know because I traded it in the other day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

You might find the trade in value of LBP reducing dramatically when the market is flooded by unopened copies of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I like the look of the content for those two months, particularly Medievil, Destruction Derby and the Kilzzone DLC. I think I might go for it now. Free LBP is cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

BeansBeans wrote: »
    you get some free stuff

Well.. you don't get any free stuff, since you have to pay for the service.

I think I'll just choose what to buy off PSN myself, instead of having Sony choose it for me.

I kind of expected the PSN plus to be something else than a "games club" you can join for a fee.

gstar wrote: »
    You might find the trade in value of LBP reducing dramatically when the market is flooded by unopened copies of the game!

While i will be getting this day 1ish not sure many will go for the full year sub in time to get LBP and is it not a download we're getting because i wouldn't think they would still making the standard game on blu ray wouldn't it only be goty at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

is it not a download we're getting.

Yeh it's LBP via download alright.

Below is taken from PS3 Euro Blog,

"If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription ".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Clover wrote: »
    Yeh it's LBP via download alright.

Below is taken from PS3 Euro Blog,

"If you sign up between the 29th June and 3rd Aug for the 1 year subscription then you will also receive a downloadable copy of the original LittleBigPlanet game for PS3, completely free! This is yours to keep and is not tied to the period of subscription ".

Your paying 50 quid for the sub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    Your paying 50 quid for the sub?

Yes but your getting LBP completely free! :D .

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Clover wrote: »
    Yes but your getting LBP completely free! :D .

So pay 50 and get LBP as a free download, or don't subscribe and get it for15 used without it using memory space. I'm not going to subscribe to this BS, instead I'll use that money and pre-order Fallout New Vegas

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

TheTosh wrote: »
    So pay 50 and get LBP as a free download, or don't subscribe and get it for15 used without it using memory space. I'm not going to subscribe to this BS, instead I'll use that money and pre-order Fallout New Vegas

Do you not concede that €50 is great value for all that, especially in comparison to Xbox live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

L'prof wrote: »
    Do you not concede that €50 is great value for all that, especially in comparison to Xbox live?

Better value then XBL yes but great value no because you keep none of the games and run the risk of losing them if you don't renew your subscription on time so really its a 50 quid a year rental service

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement