Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Games with gold is certainly giving great value but look each to their own everyone has their own tastes gaming wise

For me I have both so either way win win but some of the ps plus titles have been quality andXbox gave some utter ****e as well crimson Dragon stands out as one of the worst games I have ever played and I'm gaming30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does GWG still give free games for 360 members? I'd assume the 360 games like Dead Space and SR4 are offered for it too?

Don't have a Xbox but my understanding is that the games are 360 games that are BC on Xbox one. So yeah they're playable on both 360 and Xbox One

I don't get how this thread seems to be all about gwg last day or so instead of discussing the positive to ps+ I for one am looking forward to seeing what's on offer next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

I don't get how this thread seems to be all about gwg last day or so instead of discussing the positive to ps+ I for one am looking forward to seeing what's on offer next month

The reason is that one service at the moment seems to be killing the other in terms of quality and value for money. When both of them cost a monthly/yearly subscription, it's only fair that parallels are drawn between them in terms of quality, and PS4 is losing.

We can hope that Sony might surprise us with the April choices, but at this stage it's like expecting monthly chocolates and getting a kick in the bollix instead. You hope it will change but it doesn't. In their eyes, a kick in the bollix is less expensive than a box of chocolates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a subscriber to both services Sony really need to get the finger out at this stage.

Honestly thinking of not bothering to renew Plus, I don't play online so uploading saves and the games are the only things I get out of it.

• Advertisement

Deep Six wrote: »
    The reason is that one service at the moment seems to be killing the other in terms of quality and value for money. When both of them cost a monthly/yearly subscription, it's only fair that parallels are drawn between them in terms of quality, and PS4 is losing.

We can hope that Sony might surprise us with the April choices, but at this stage it's like expecting monthly chocolates and getting a kick in the bollix instead. You hope it will change but it doesn't. In their eyes, a kick in the bollix is less expensive than a box of chocolates.

Comparing them makes perfect sense. But putting one down completely because the games being given is not to your gaming taste is just lazy posting imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Comparing them makes perfect sense. But putting one down completely because the games being given is not to your gaming taste is just lazy posting imo

the number of gamers tastes catered to by playstations "free" games is certainly dwindling fast, seems the masses are finally seeing the light

Very clever move by Sony a few years back introducing plus for those who wanted to pay offering good games and discounts.... Along comes ps4, make plus mandatory people say don't worry they give great games it's no big deal well worth it, and they give out pacman and c64 greatest hits! All the while their servers struggle to stay up and a couple of kids with a decent pc knowledge can bring it down anytime they like,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's nothing to do with tastes, it's the fact GWG are now giving AAA titles while Plus are all still indie games. It's the value of what you are getting in return.

I wouldn't be into Knack at all but it would be a step in the right direction with Sony providing AAA games on Plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

It's not that the games aren't to my taste, it's that I've played most of them in some incarnation or other over the last 20 years. For the fact I'm paying a subscription for this service, I would at the very least expect one game per month I might actually spend 10,15 maybe 20 quid on in Gamestop if I spotted it on a shelf.

Instead we get month after month of throwaway titles and the indie obsession is never-ending. It's cool you've done a game in 16 bit pixels but guess what? There's 10000 other games that did that before you over the past couple of decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

By a quick look at the lists, Xbox One has gotten about 5 AAA games, and the PS4 has gotten around 7, GWG is cleaning up because of the backwards compatibility. The PS3 titles have been just as good as the 360 ones imo, the XOne have been crap. Assassins Creed was the last good AAA that XOne got that Sony haven't already given away, and surely Rocket League makes up for that. Sunset Overdrive is an obvious exception as its exclusive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games#Xbox_One

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

By a quick look at the lists, Xbox One has gotten about 5 AAA games, and the PS4 has gotten around 7, GWG is cleaning up because of the backwards compatibility. The PS3 titles have been just as good as the 360 ones imo, the XOne have been crap. Assassins Creed was the last good AAA that XOne got that Sony haven't already given away, and surely Rocket League makes up for that. Sunset Overdrive is an obvious exception as its exclusive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games#Xbox_One

Wrong.

Let me list the big games they've given away for free since that;

Tomb Raider Definitive Ed.
    Thief
    Killer Instinct
    Sherlock Holmes
    Lords of the fallen

Tinie wrote: »
    Wrong.

Let me list the big games they've given away for free since that;

Tomb Raider Definitive Ed.
    Thief
    Killer Instinct
    Sherlock Holmes
    Lords of the fallen

Indeed, Thief was on PS3 previously and a different Lara Croft game had me mixed up, my mistake.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/killer-instinct
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sherlock-holmes-crimes-punishments
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/lords-of-the-fallen

Average, average and average. And Lords of The Fallen deserves lower than a 6.9 from my own experience of it, from a massive fan of Souls clones.

*edit* Thief also has pretty average reviews while I'm posting links

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/thief

But hey, its a AAA. Much better than something by Devolver Studios anyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

The thing that bugs me as well is the fact you can't keep any of the PS Plus games with the PS4.
    I know it's the same with the xbox one too but on 360 when your sub ran out you didn't lose access to the games.
    Losing access to the games if you've not gotten around to playing them is a balls because you gotta fork out another 50 to play them again, so they're not really free it's more like renting which is rubbish compared to the way things worked with the 360.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Indeed, Thief was on PS3 previously and a different Lara Croft game had me mixed up, my mistake.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/killer-instinct
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sherlock-holmes-crimes-punishments
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/lords-of-the-fallen

Average, average and average. And Lords of The Fallen deserves lower than a 6.9 from my own experience of it, from a massive fan of Souls clones.

*edit* Thief also has pretty average reviews while I'm posting links

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/thief

But hey, its a AAA. Much better than something by Devolver Studios anyday

I dont think you understand what an average rating score is...

Digitalism wrote: »
    I dont think you understand what an average rating score is...

Look at the scores, it clearly says right next to them "Mixed or average reviews" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think the issue here is that its all about bang for your buck.

For me €50 for lots of free games is great.
    At the moment xbox does seem to have a better list but that can change.

Get both if you can afford it, or get one of them. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I can't argue with the value of it... Sure, most of the games aren't to my likings as I'm very much an AAA gamer these days... But if I was asked to pay €50 a year for the service with no games offered at all, I'd still pay it and be satisfied (except for the outages)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Need to subscribe there again, is the such thing as uk\irish sub? Can get 1year for £32.99. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

It's 37.49 euros on the Playstation store at the moment.
    I haven't subscribed to plus yet though so I'm not sure if that's only for first timers or not.
    I think that's the cheapest and it's only available til the 31st of March.

quinnd6 wrote: »
    It's 37.49 euros on the Playstation store at the moment.
    I haven't subscribed to plus yet though so I'm not sure if that's only for first timers or not.
    I think that's the cheapest and it's only available til the 31st of March.

That's for first timers, but a few people have gotten it anyways.

UK and Irish sub's are different for the other guy, unless you want to hope another deal goes up you gotta hock the €50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Worked for me there, just saved me a few quid, appreciated.
    Funny that when it comes to renewing the store never even comes into my mind.

Everyone everywhere seems to be getting upset over the offerings on Xbox compared to PS which is a little odd given that we don't know what is coming to Plus next month. Great as the Xbox offerings are, they really aren't all that impressive when you consider that most gamers with the console would already own all those titles given that they've been available for peanuts from various places over the last few months. I picked up multiple copies of Sunset Overdrive for 8 euro a few weeks back and The Wolf Among is for less than that well before Christmas. The backward compatible games are great and all but again, most gamers will already own them. Personally I much prefer what Sony are doing and offering up new release smaller titles, getting Knack or Killzone would be nice and all but I picked up both for spare change ages ago and as such don't see the appeal that so many others do. Just because they are considered triple A titles does not mean that they are of A+ quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Whatever about Indies (Broforce was great craic) I just hope they lay off the twin stick shooters. I don't even bother adding them to my library.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Whatever about Indies (Broforce was great craic) I just hope they lay off the twin stick shooters. I don't even bother adding them to my library.

Dead Star is confirmed as one of next months games, so another twin stick shooter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Pressure must be huge on Sony for April.

Surely they could pull Knack, Killzone or The Order out of the bag at short notice as they are the publishers and developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Pressure must be huge on Sony for April.

Surely they could pull Knack, Killzone or The Order out of the bag at short notice as they are the publishers and developers.

Hopefully they pull them out of the bag and stick them right back in.

Knack is beyond mediocre, Killzone is an average FPS that's dated and The Order is a glorified interactive movie. Two were launch titles nearly 30 months ago.

I'm all for getting 'AAA' games over indie games but only if they're meaningful and worthwhile. The last thing that is good for anyone is Sony putting Knack out and saying that they've satisfied the AAA demands for the medium-term future.

I would imagine that Aprils games are sorted now so it's May that they'll be looking at but what's a viable release that's going to satisfy PS+

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Push Square highlighted the problem well, PS+ in it's first 2 years of existance had a HUGE back catalog of games to choose from and the service itself had a relatively small install base. This transferred woefully for the PS4, which had set the standard of free games on a brand new console, which itself was probably a stretch but the mandatory fee for online gaming meant that the install base went from being minor to being the majority. Any publisher giving a game to ps+ now, may as well give up on ever getting any more revenue from that game in the future.

It may be time to look at alternatives now. XBone's Backwards compatibility means that it's broadening its catalog of games to offer. Admittedly it may not go down well to have a game from last gen as "this month's free game!" but maybe PS can learn from it and try something inventive? Offer PS Now subscriptions in exchange for one of the games per month which may reduce the stress they are putting themselves under? Or features specifically for PS+ not available otherwise, like the online multiplayer. I'd happily trade in a game a month to get multiple profiles on my Vita

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

have to agree Sony need to up their game with PS+, it was a fantastic service in the PS3 days but has gone very stale on PS4. If we continue to get the same style of indie games every month between now and Christmas i'll probably not renew ps+ in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Hope its not Unravel this month as I just bought it yesterday for €15! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

They also need to remember the PS3 owners, the games have also been woeful. Once we had the likes of far cry 3, Thief, Crysis3, Metro 3, Red Dead redemption, Bioshock infinite. Mass effect 2 and 3, Borderlands 2 etc etc
    They may have been 2 or 3 year old games but at the time of release they were quite big and popular games.
    Im sure they can continue to do the same if they tried

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(PAL_region)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement