Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

cadete wrote: »
    Expectations dont get any lower as regards plus..... Next month more shovelware

Next month we'll get a kooky new platformer called Lieutenant Keen and alongside it will be a fresh take on the text adventure games of old called Police Mission. There might even be an innovative spin on the twin stick shooter genre (it's done in 8-bit pixels - OMGWOWMINDGASM) in there to completely surprise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Deep Six wrote: »
    Next month we'll get a kooky new platformer called Lieutenant Keen and alongside it will be a fresh take on the text adventure games of old called Police Mission. There might even be an innovative spin on the twin stick shooter genre (it's done in 8-bit pixels - OMGWOWMINDGASM) in there to completely surprise you!

And people will still come here to defend them for how "original" they are.

Oh the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Its a company at the end of the day, all about the monies !! Costs them money for AAA titles on PS+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

It was never about giving away games forever. Not long ago, very few of us bought games online. It was discs all the way.

PS+ and XB live free content was to get everyone used to online purchases and the store content. In that, they have achieved their goal. Many of us download our games.

The free game quality will be dictated by the content giveaway on their competitors stores. If XB is good then PS will follow up and vice versa. Eventually it will disappear and you will pay for access only.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Its a company at the end of the day, all about the monies !! Costs them money for AAA titles on PS+

Games With Gold just called...they'd like to have a word with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Deep Six wrote: »
    Games With Gold just called...they'd like to have a word with you

Are you implying Microsoft aren't in it for the cash, and GWG doesn't cost them money?

Are you implying Microsoft aren't in it for the cash, and GWG doesn't cost them money?

Oh I have no doubt it costs money, they just seem to realise that the paying subscribers of your service appreciate something more substantial than indie cast-offs every month. It is, hands down, killing anything ps plus can offer lately.

This gets so boring, the constant moaning about the games is just inane. Saying that MS are great is fine if you forget the fact that for years they took €60 a year and provided nothing bar access to online features. Hell, they forced you to get Live to access Netflix. Sony provided access to the online aspect of games and apps at no extra cost and the only reason MS are giving away games is because Sony started it. People think that because a game is triple A it's of better quality,it's not. I've had more fun with Rocket League, Bro-force and Race the Sun than anything offered by MS. Sunset Overdrive is the first real big game on GWG but it's been available for under €10 for the past 6 months and is really at the end of its life so to speak. 99% of people who want the game will already own it so its inclusion in GWG is hardly that impressive. Maybe it's me but I'd take an interesting indie title over most triple A titles that people suggest, Knack is a decent time killer but not a patch on most PS+ titles. But that's just me, most seem to equate quality with cost so I can imagine that many on here will be celebrating when Killzone or Knack is added just because on release they cost €75.

This gets so boring, the constant moaning about the games is just inane. Saying that MS are great is fine if you forget the fact that for years they took €60 a year and provided nothing bar access to online features. Hell, they forced you to get Live to access Netflix. Sony provided access to the online aspect of games and apps at no extra cost and the only reason MS are giving away games is because Sony started it. People think that because a game is triple A it's of better quality,it's not. I've had more fun with Rocket League, Bro-force and Race the Sun than anything offered by MS. Sunset Overdrive is the first real big game on GWG but it's been available for under €10 for the past 6 months and is really at the end of its life so to speak. 99% of people who want the game will already own it so its inclusion in GWG is hardly that impressive. Maybe it's me but I'd take an interesting indie title over most triple A titles that people suggest, Knack is a decent time killer but not a patch on most PS+ titles. But that's just me, most seem to equate quality with cost so I can imagine that many on here will be celebrating when Killzone or Knack is added just because on release they cost €75.

So the moral is Xbox went from giving nothing to providing titles people actually might spend 10 or 15 quid on in a shop, while yay Sony because we get all these awesome indie clones month and we should be grateful for the monthly rubbish Sony serve us up?

If I wanted to play indie shovel ****e, I'd log in to steam on my PC. Paying 60 quid a year for a PS4 sub play to online, I actually want games I'd buy in a shop. Not 70e titles but something at least I'd be willing to spend money on. I wouldn't even pay 10c for 95% of the **** we've got on PS plus the last 2 years.

Putting the supposed quality of PS+ games aside, I'd say its fairly likely MS are ignoring the hit they're taking on the games they give away in the hopes of people saying GWG is better, buying an Xbox and subbing to it to try claw back a bit of the market share.

Sony can afford to sit back on it, not that I agree with it but to me it may be part of the picture

• Advertisement

Deep Six wrote:
    If I wanted to play indie shovel ****e, I'd log in to steam on my PC. Paying 60 quid a year for a PS4 sub play to online, I actually want games I'd buy in a shop. Not 70e titles but something at least I'd be willing to spend money on. I wouldn't even pay 10c for 95% of the **** of we've got on PS plus the last 2 years.

So the moral is Xbox went from giving nothing to providing titles people actually might spend 10 or 15 quid on in a shop, while yay Sony because we get all these awesome indie clones month and we should be grateful for the ****e Sony serve us up?

No the morale is that for 8 or so years MS offered not a damn thing and while now they've upped their game, it's hard to get excited for titles that most gamers will already have played. Anyone who wanted Sunset Overdrive already played it. You seem to equate quality with price and view indie titles as lesser given that they are cheap or as you call them clones. Sure isn't Sunset Overdrive a strikingly original title and not just Jet Set Radio with guns. Don't get me wrong,it's a damn fine game but not one I'd feel like I'd missed out on had I never played it

What I don't get is why people like you don't vote with your wallet? If Sony are serving you crap then why not sell your PS4 and get a One?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I saw you could buy all 3 of Knack, Killzone and AC Black Flag for 15 quid over in CEX while I was in London last week, if people really want to play these games, it's not gonna break the bank, I paid a Euro for Killzone and felt ripped off :)

Putting the supposed quality of PS+ games aside, I'd say its fairly likely MS are ignoring the hit they're taking on the games they give away in the hopes of people saying GWG is better, buying an Xbox and subbing to it to try claw back a bit of the market share.

Sony can afford to sit back on it, not that I agree with it but to me it may be part of the picture

I agree with this, they have the customer base now so can afford to sit back while MS try and increase their numbers. Reality is that even though most posts on this forum are against Sony and their games, they wont change to Xbox, they will just moan. Win for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So because,as consumers,people are not happy with ONE aspect of the PS4 they are supposed to stop "moaning" and buy an Xbox? Failed logic there if you ask me.

Why would i give up the objectively better console for an inferior one because ONE particular part of the service is not to my liking?

Seems Sony have plenty of white knights in here to defend there honour. I mean some posters are even talking like it 2008 and not 2016 bringing up what MS were doing an eternity ago. Id remind that poster what a far superior service gold was back then also even without any games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The eternal battle...

0003.gif

VS.

0_64af7_7370b20f_L.jpg

EoinHef wrote: »
    So because,as consumers,people are not happy with ONE aspect of the PS4 they are supposed to stop "moaning" and buy an Xbox? Failed logic there if you ask me.

Why would i give up the objectively better console for an inferior one because ONE particular part of the service is not to my liking?

Seems Sony have plenty of white knights in here to defend there honour. I mean some posters are even talking like it 2008 and not 2016 bringing up what MS were doing an eternity ago. Id remind that poster what a far superior service gold was back then also even without any games.

No one is defending Sony, rather pointing out that people crying over what are in essence free games is just a little tiresome. It's easy to say that MS offered a better online experience than Sony almost a decade ago, you'd expect that given that they were charging gamers 60 euro a year for the privilege. If each month you feel the need to come in here and cry that the games aren't too your liking before even trying them then go out and build a PC or buy a One. I have all three and one each have a sub to a service that provides free games each month and each month I get games, many of which I already own but I never feel the need to cry that they are not of good enough quality or that I already own them, I accept that at the end of the day these are freebies and unlike MS, Sony don't have 10 years of Xbox gold money to bolster their offerings.

No one is defending Sony, rather pointing out that people crying over what are in essence free games is just a little tiresome. It's easy to say that MS offered a better online experience than Sony almost a decade ago, you'd expect that given that they were charging gamers 60 euro a year for the privilege. If each month you feel the need to come in here and cry that the games aren't too your liking before even trying them then go out and build a PC or buy a One. I have all three and one each have a sub to a service that provides free games each month and each month I get games, many of which I already own but I never feel the need to cry that they are not of good enough quality or that I already own them, I accept that at the end of the day these are freebies and unlike MS, Sony don't have 10 years of Xbox gold money to bolster their offerings.

They are not free games, they never were. It's part of the service we pay for, and since PSN is prone to going down every now and again, the PS Plus monthly games are essential to the service to give it any bit of value.

It's like saying you pay €50 a year for a random selection of a few games every month, and online play is a free bonus. That too, is wide of the mark. PS Plus isn't marketed as "You need this to play online", it's a package of online play, games and good discounts on the store among loads of other minor features. You pay for all of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

But you really need to seperate the idea that because someone does not like the PS+ games that they dont like the PS4. Its literally one part of the PS4 package. So saying people should move to a One/PC because of PS+ alone makes no sense IMO.

So what would be the solution to the moaning then? That only people who like the games post?

People are offering their opinions in a thread thats all about the service. Is that not what its for? Does every opinion you dont agree with become tiresome to you? I could also say that it gets tiresome coming here every month and see the same people defend the games no matter what they are.

My point about Xbox was more to do with we shouldnt be looking back at what Xbox did years ago,were comparing the services as they are now. Which is a valid comparison IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

But you really need to seperate the idea that because someone does not like the PS+ games that they dont like the PS4. Its literally one part of the PS4 package. So saying people should move to a One/PC because of PS+ alone makes no sense IMO.

So what would be the solution to the moaning then? That only people who like the games post?

People are offering their opinions in a thread thats all about the service. Is that not what its for? Does every opinion you dont agree with become tiresome to you? I could also say that it gets tiresome coming here every month and see the same people defend the games no matter what they are.

My point about Xbox was more to do with we shouldnt be looking back at what Xbox did years ago,were comparing the services as they are now. Which is a valid comparison IMO.

I have no issue with people moaning about the games if they actually took the time to play some of them and then have a discussion about what they did and did not like.

It is hard to take people seriously when they ignore the months offerings just because there are no AAA titles and then claim it is another ****e month without actually playing any of the games, of course you will get no value out of Plus if you do not try what is being offered or even bother looking up what the game is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

If you're comparing the services now, then gold gives you 4 free games as compared to the 2 with plus, this been backwards compatible that you don't have to pay extra for or even 20 euro for a ps2 game, let alone you "never" gonna own any of them games you stream to your PS4. The majority of the psn plus discounts you get are between 99c to 1.99, not be mistaken for digital or seasonal discounts. You have PSN been served by one Data centre while xbox live been served by three+ meaning when kids with loic want to take psn down, they will easily, paying for PSN was supposedly to stop this from happening, almost 3 years in and it's not changed.

Sony don't allow price reductions to it's ps plus service where you can get gold for between 30-60 euro depending on shop. Xbox sales and numbers have little to do with the service and even with "less" numbers they're still providing a much better class of free games, no matter how you dislike m$ or sony, the comparable difference is plain to see at the moment. Only decent 4bit game to come out in plus in a while was bro force and even the ps4 struggled with that freezing almost all the time at the start of a game making it almost unbearable to play, which is a shame, it was a fun game. And now the live network is open to other services, but i doubt sony could keep up with it at a network level.

i have both consoles, in case you wanted to know.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Not surprisingly that the first "AA" game for PS4 on PS+ is absolute muck. I have both consoles but xbox live is currently head and shoulders above PSN in both service stability and "free" games.

Like this month... classic Horror game "Dead Space" vs PS2 esk "Zombi" game, no contest. Thats not even counting Wolf among us and Sunset overdrive, both top games.

Some good points from Eoinhef and Sharpcoder, maybe I'm being too fanboyish and need to go look at the list of Xbox offerings compared to PS.

Also agree with the monthly sub being for a "service".

Digitalism wrote: »
    Not surprisingly that the first "AA" game for PS4 on PS+ is absolute muck. I have both consoles but xbox live is currently head and shoulders above PSN in both service stability and "free" games.

Like this month... classic Horror game "Dead Space" vs PS2 esk "Zombi" game, no contest. Thats not even counting Wolf among us and Sunset overdrive, both top games.

PS+ already gave Dead Space 2 and 3.
    Possibly the first one too.

SharpCoder wrote: »
    If you're comparing the services now, then gold gives you 4 free games as compared to the 6 with plus, this been backwards compatible

Fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭SharpCoder

eddhorse wrote: »
    PS+ already gave Dead Space 2 and 3.
    Possibly the first one too.

Possibly, but i'm talking this gen, not last gen, even though if i owned them on the x360 last gen, i would be able to play them this gen for free, the big difference when you're talking "services", which to do the same on the PS4, you have to pay for a separate one called PS Now on top of your already mandatory PS Plus subscription.

martyos121 wrote: »
    They are not free games, they never were. It's part of the service we pay for, and since PSN is prone to going down every now and again, the PS Plus monthly games are essential to the service to give it any bit of value.

It's like saying you pay €50 a year for a random selection of a few games every month, and online play is a free bonus. That too, is wide of the mark. PS Plus isn't marketed as "You need this to play online", it's a package of online play, games and good discounts on the store among loads of other minor features. You pay for all of it though.

Saying that we shouldn't be looking at what Xbox did a decade ago is all well and good but the only reason they started offering free games at all was because of Sony. If plus was not a service then there would be no Games with Gold. Comparing what the two services are doing is a little unfair to Sony given that MS had 7 years of charging cu and building a nice little stockpile. When Plus launched it was all about getting a couple of games each month but with the move to PS4 the service became one where you paid for online access in games and as compensation Sony gave you 6 games a month across the three platforms. The saddest thing is that no matter what Sony announce the same people will be in here crying that it's "indie crap" or other such nonsense. Why not play the games before forming an opinion. Hell, Sony have yet to announce next months line up and people are complaining, it's almost like posters want Sony to disappoint them.

Saying that we shouldn't be looking at what Xbox did a decade ago is all well and good but the only reason they started offering free games at all was because of Sony. If plus was not a service then there would be no Games with Gold. Comparing what the two services are doing is a little unfair to Sony given that MS had 7 years of charging cu and building a nice little stockpile. When Plus launched it was all about getting a couple of games each month but with the move to PS4 the service became one where you paid for online access in games and as compensation Sony gave you 6 games a month across the three platforms. The saddest thing is that no matter what Sony announce the same people will be in here crying that it's "indie crap" or other such nonsense. Why not play the games before forming an opinion. Hell, Sony have yet to announce next months line up and people are complaining, it's almost like posters want Sony to disappoint them.

Nobody here with any shred of sense tars all the games as "Indy crap". I've tried a lot of them, not all of them because I read reviews first so I know I'm not wasting my time. There's some very good games there, a couple of great ones too (Rocket League, Resogun) but then the rest are just recycled ideas with little to no originality (not to say Resogun is completely original, but it's more fun than the rest of those type of games I've tried and gorgeous to look at), just different colour schemes and characters and maybe one cool little feature. It annoys me to see people defend them just for the sake of it, there's a hell of a lot of tripe in the Plus catalog, and that doesn't include the ones that got reviews so bad I never even gave them a chance.

If you're a huge fan of cookie cutter side-scrolling platformers and rehashed twin-stick shooters, then Plus is an absolute steal (yes there's more to it, but that's the core of their catalog and Rocket League and one or two more are welcome exceptions). If not, then GWG is superior, and I rarely give credit to Microsoft since the new gen launched.

Not bashing anyone who likes those types of games I've listed above btw, I and many more just find them very repetitive and they don't last me more than 45 minutes (except for Olli Olli, that was addictive as hell). What I'll say to people like myself who aren't huge fans of the service, do give some of the games a chance if they review well, it's a bit silly to give out about good games you haven't played just because they never cost €60 or more.

There's something for everyone on Plus, but it caters to a smaller demographic of its subscribers mostly, and people who don't play a million different games a year don't get as much value from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

PlayStation plus is ****e. Rocket league is the only decent game. Even them it's just a bad upgrade of SARPBC. Not got into it at all. I must have put at least 3000 hours into the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Speaking as a gamer who owns both consoles this generation and both last generation however you cut it Sony are smugly feeding it's PS plus subscribers a greatly inferior offering compared to Xbox Live! I put this down to a huge market share, they know they have won this generations console war and feel no pressure to compete with Microsofts monthly offerings, from Microsoft's side they also know they are playing catch up and are pulling out all the stops to keep their players happy and hopefully attract gamers, be it the backwards compatability the AAA games every month and even the innovative EA access which Sony in their arrogance thumbed their nose at!
    In the last gen wars Sony were always playing catch up with the 360 and thus we didn't have to pay for online and they gave free games towards the end of the lifecycle.
    My main console is the PS4 but I'm not such a fanboy that I won't give out about the PlayStation plus service which I pay €50 a year for it when I get better value from my Xbox live subscription!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The only reason Xbox are giving away such good games these days is because there playing catch up with Sony. The PS4 absolutely wiped the floor with Xbox One. Nobody, not even Sony or MS expected that.
    Xbox will try anything to get back those players who jumped ship back.
    like myself, I remember being a 360 owner and envying PS3 players for getting access to online play, Netflix etc. for free. Sh*t we even had to pay for party chats. And then Plus subscribers were getting free games for cheaper than what I was paying for Live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement