Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Cormac... wrote: »
    For some reason I thought Everybody's Gone to Rapture was free this month, I was incorrect. Damn
    Well you've another "walking simulator" this month in Gone Home if you haven't played that yet. I haven't gotten around to it myself just yet, but it appears to be like Marmite for most people!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nailz wrote: »
    Well you've another "walking simulator" this month in Gone Home if you haven't played that yet. I haven't gotten around to it myself just yet, but it appears to be like Marmite for most people!

Just finished it. Very short.....
    Was expecting something paranormal to happen but it was the opposite. Enjoyed it tbh but I was disappointed when I entered the attic that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

ERG89 wrote: »
    Was expecting something paranormal to happen but it was the opposite. Enjoyed it tbh but I was disappointed when I entered the attic that was it.

Yea I felt the same after just finishing it. Decent game for a freebie, but wouldn't have paid for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ERG89 wrote: »

The
    anti-climax ending
    is kinda the whole point though :)
    The game plays with our experiences of survival horror video games, horror films etc... to lead us to expect the worst in that attic, but that it is ultimately something far more down to Earth is actually a more surprising and in its way subversive ending. And really it's a bit of a commentary on how we all play and read games in the first place - it's a medium that simply hasn't really taken the time to reflect normal, everyday reality.
    Strange to see the game getting a whole load of new players so many years after release. While I don't think it's quite an all-time masterpiece of the medium (although it is very, very good, with some super environmental storytelling), it's definitely one of the most influential. Certainly Uncharted 4 recently I don't think would be quite the game it is without Gone Home and its contemporaries' influence. Plus the mere existence of GH continues to piss off all the right people :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,173 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Can you just start a normal career in 2K16 or do you have to endure that abysmal Spike Lee shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

J. Marston wrote: »
    Can you just start a normal career in 2K16 or do you have to endure that abysmal Spike Lee shíte.

Just have to get it over and done with unfortunately, make your character white so you'll get a laugh out of his ghetto accent anyways and the fact that a white guy has a fully black family. The high school and college gameplay is actually fun and something different, it's the insufferable cutscenes that get you.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

martyos121 wrote: »
    Just have to get it over and done with unfortunately, make your character white so you'll get a laugh out of his ghetto accent anyways and the fact that a white guy has a fully black family. The high school and college gameplay is actually fun and something different, it's the insufferable cutscenes that get you.

How do you defend?! I smash away at square to try and bate a few lads away from my bball and it's always a foul. Beginning to think it's a conspiracy because my only other options seem to be stand up tall, or jump up high

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

How do you defend?! I smash away at square to try and bate a few lads away from my bball and it's always a foul. Beginning to think it's a conspiracy because my only other options seem to be stand up tall, or jump up high

Thought the same thing when I started playing basketball games, the thing is, you basically don't defend, you conserve. It isn't like football where you tackle and win the ball back, your only options are to steal when the ball is being passed (same as an interception in football), steal when they're dribbling and the ball looks to be there for the taking, block their shot (that'll take practice), contest them when they're going for a layup or dunk, or simply hope they miss if all else fails. Defending is really, really hard though, whether you know all this or not.

Understanding the sport is key really, but like myself, you can get by just by practise and trial and error.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp, the main thing is to just stay between your man and the basket, stay in his face and it will majorly put him off his shot even if you don't go for a block. You have to have high steal rating to nick the the ball away and it seems so random when I do it but the game even knows if you're hacking away and the steal button and will make you foul if try repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

The
    anti-climax ending
    is kinda the whole point though :)
    The game plays with our experiences of survival horror video games, horror films etc... to lead us to expect the worst in that attic, but that it is ultimately something far more down to Earth is actually a more surprising and in its way subversive ending. And really it's a bit of a commentary on how we all play and read games in the first place - it's a medium that simply hasn't really taken the time to reflect normal, everyday reality.
    Strange to see the game getting a whole load of new players so many years after release. While I don't think it's quite an all-time masterpiece of the medium (although it is very, very good, with some super environmental storytelling), it's definitely one of the most influential. Certainly Uncharted 4 recently I don't think would be quite the game it is without Gone Home and its contemporaries' influence. Plus the mere existence of GH continues to piss off all the right people :P

I felt Uncharted 4 was influenced by The Last of Us which came before Gone Home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Far too involved a game to get my head around, the NBA one, if the last one is anything to go by. Almost like a realistic simulator, but I respect it's depth and I'm glad to see the likes of it on Plus. I think I'd probably need to know more Basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

TheZPPanda wrote:
    I felt Uncharted 4 was influenced by The Last of Us which came before Gone Home.

You know Uncharted 1-3 came before TLOU?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭TheZPPanda

sweetie wrote: »
    You know Uncharted 1-3 came before TLOU?

No!? You don't say!?

We're referring to the environmental storytelling in Uncharted 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

For those struggling with NBA, use L2 to face up the attackers, dont really worry about stealing just stay infront of them, once you have got used to this, then add steal attempts and blocks into the game, it really is the best sports game, just give it a chance.
    Regarding my player, Spike Lee ruined the first season, its just so terrible, once you get past that its good again, just lacking in the story of previous years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Is there a turorial In NBA? I threw it on for a quick try last night, has no idea what i was doing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Is there a turorial In NBA? I threw it on for a quick try last night, has no idea what i was doing

There should be if you go to Settings/Options from the very main menu. It's fairly hidden away as I recall. The series badly needs a proper tutorial system. Youtube has a ton of specific stuff for dribbling, defense, shooting, etc so recommend check out some vids as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

That career mode story in NBA 2K16 was awful. But gameplay is ok and I am reminded why I don't like basketball games. Defending is near impossible for novice players and career mode is stuck at one level. I did see online that many more experienced players complained about that too as they are at the opposite end of the spectrum and felt it was too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

NBA 2K16 is taking bloody ages to install. Anyone else have that issue? At the moment all I can do is play an exhibition game with an excruciating hip hop soundtrack booming over the entire thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Pickpocket wrote: »
    NBA 2K16 is taking bloody ages to install. Anyone else have that issue? At the moment all I can do is play an exhibition game with an excruciating hip hop soundtrack booming over the entire thing.

I started the download at roughly 5pm on Tuesday. She's still going.

Should've been done well before now for me. In fact it should've been done yesterday morning.

It's made me cement a decision - from now on, if I want to buy a game on PS4, I'm just going to buy it physically, especially if it's more than 20GB. Three days is mental time to be waiting.

You know, it's kind of funny. Microsoft and Sony were giving it large when they said that we can play our games while we install/download them. They weren't lying, we can play them after a small percentage is downloaded, but for sports games forget about it. Enjoy playing quick game over and over. I'm getting more and more bitter about this......... I should have a cup of tea.

I started the download at roughly 5pm on Tuesday. She's still going.

:eek:

• Advertisement

:eek:

At full speed I can download 3GB in one hour.

But on PS4 it takes about an hour for me to download 1gb. And that's on a good day. Most of the time it goes less than that.

So 46GB, yeah, about 46 hours with a few pauses here and there to let other people use the internet. Pain in the hole.

Should have taken 12 hours, I could've been playing it when I woke up yesterday. I sound over entitled, I've about 300 games to keep me occupied, but damn it I want to play some B-Ball :( :P

At full speed I can download 3GB in one hour.

But on PS4 it takes about an hour for me to download 1gb. And that's on a good day. Most of the time it goes less than that.

So 46GB, yeah, about 46 hours with a few pauses here and there to let other people use the internet. Pain in the hole

I'm not sure exactly what speeds I normally reach but I purchase most of my games digitally and I've never had any problems or felt that it was taking too long. 46GB is a whopper of a download, but still...

I'm not sure exactly what speeds I normally reach but I purchase most of my games digitally and I've never had any problems or felt that it was taking too long. 46GB is a whopper of a download, but still...

(I keep editing my replies because I keep thinking of more sh*t to ramble about on top of what I already said. Forgive me :o)

It's such a pain. And I always forget, too! I bought The Witcher 3 a few months ago and I couldn't play it until two days later. I wish I could use the ethernet cable, because it does max out my speed, but the router has to be in the centre of the house for everyone else to use. I would admit that it's only because I'm too far away, and it's true, but every other device I have has no problem using the full download speed - it's only my PS4 that drops :(

(I keep editing my replies because I keep thinking of more sh*t to ramble about on top of what I already said. Forgive me :o)

It's such a pain. And I always forget, too! I bought The Witcher 3 a few months ago and I couldn't play it until two days later. I wish I could use the ethernet cable, because it does max out my speed, but the router has to be in the centre of the house for everyone else to use. I would admit that it's only because I'm too far away, and it's true, but every other device I have has no problem using the full download speed - it's only my PS4 that drops :(

Jesus that sounds like a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Homeplugs might be an option?

Never knew about the partial download thing! Be mighty for Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne, rest of the game will be finished by the time you beat the first boss :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I'm about 10m from my modem and connected over wifi on the PS4. Got 9.5Gb installed and it gives me that error again...the odd time it'll go through and start downloading and displays "99+ hours" to completion. Downloading large games/patches on the PS4 frustrates me.

Homeplugs might be an option?

Would they be compatible with a Sky Hub? Because so far the Sky hub barely lets you do anything with it. I can't even set a different DNS server to it, it's so limited.

I've finally reached "1 hour remaining" on NBA.. Watch this, now. I'll turn this game on tomorrow, play two or three matches, then go and play something else. Since I've a pretty low attention span it takes a lot to keep me cemented to one game. Ah I'm a mess of a human.

Goodnight all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Would they be compatible with a Sky Hub? Because so far the Sky hub barely lets you do anything with it. I can't even set a different DNS server to it, it's so limited.

No reason they wouldn't be, just transfers an Ethernet signal through the electricity lines, not sure how the hub would stop that, but I'm far from an expert on such matters.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I've finally reached "1 hour remaining" on NBA.. Watch this, now. I'll turn this game on tomorrow, play two or three matches, then go and play something else. Since I've a pretty low attention span it takes a lot to keep me cemented to one game. Ah I'm a mess of a human.

Goodnight all! :pac:

Dude,

Homeplugs will work a treat, I bought them yesterday and they made a huge difference to the playstation.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3326877/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless+networking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CPowerline+adaptor+kits%7C26066890.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Dude,

Homeplugs will work a treat, I bought them yesterday and they made a huge difference to the playstation.

I have those, they're great. At that price especially.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement