Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

TheTosh wrote: »
    Better value then XBL yes but great value no because you keep none of the games and run the risk of losing them if you don't renew your subscription on time so really its a 50 quid a year rental service

It's still good value even at that though considering you get some (is it just some or all?) of the content back as soon as you renew! The best thing is, it's optional and doesn't affect users who are happy enough as is!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

L'prof wrote: »
    It's still good value even at that though considering you get some (is it just some or all?) of the content back as soon as you renew! The best thing is, it's optional and doesn't affect users who are happy enough as is!

Who knows, Sony have said you get it back when you renew but the new terms that came out this week state you may loose it when you renew.

I think it may mean that you can activate and psn+ content on the hdd even if its been deactivated before as long as you a current subscriber, but you may not be able to re-download the content you've been given before after your subscription lapses. That is just my opinion of what it may be from what i heard.

the stuff you will keep not matter what is the type 1 content which is themes and avatars.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well.. you don't get any free stuff, since you have to pay for the service.

I think I'll just choose what to buy off PSN myself, instead of having Sony choose it for me.

I kind of expected the PSN plus to be something else than a "games club" you can join for a fee.

Are you not being rather pedantic?

At the end of the day you are paying for the service, you are not paying specifically for the games, or the themes or avatars.

In the first month or two alone you could recoup your investment, im not going to get my calculator and verify all prices to confirm ill leave that to you.
    So you get "free" rentals of games you get to borrow games. Just for the sake of accuracy that last bit. So therefore ya my point still stands.

Oh yes and LBP is completely free and free to keep if you order at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

When Playstation Plus was announced, it seemed to receive a loud 'meh' from the PS community, myself included. Many people believe it is just not worth the money.

So, what would you like to see added to the service, before you would decide to get it?
    • For me, the free games need to be part of a selection. Sony choosing the title is not appealing at all.
    • The beta access should also be publicised more, actualy telling us what betas are coming up would be nice, like GT% online betas etc.
    • IMO functionality on the PSN should always be free. That includes cross-game chat. Instead, they could introduce perks like extended friends lists.

Thoughts?

I just think that whether you like the idea of PSN+ and what it currently offers or not, it's definitely a step in the right direction! Sure, you don't get to pick your "free" content, but I still think it offers value for money. It costs less than a typical new game costs in the shop and while all titles released may not be for you, you can still try them out before deciding whether it's a keeper or not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I agree completely, it is definitely a step in the right direction. I just want to get people's opinions on what would improve the package.

As it is, I won't be getting it. If the things I mentioned above were added, then I would certainly consider it. Would you like to see anything else added?

Otacon wrote: »
    I agree completely, it is definitely a step in the right direction. I just want to get people's opinions on what would improve the package.

As it is, I won't be getting it. If the things I mentioned above were added, then I would certainly consider it. Would you like to see anything else added?

I think I'll probably get it, not 100% yet though.
    • I know we don't have access to movies & tv shows yet, is mubi going to be all free content? Anyway, free rentals every month would be a nice touch.
    • Even though I'm not too bothered about Sony picking what you get for free at the moment, I'm sure as time goes on I'll be crying out for more variation, so you make a good point there.
    • Cross game chat being limited to 4 people isn't great! I know I'll seldom have any use for more than that, but it'd be nice to have the option!
    • I've always wanted to be able to group my friends list into custom sections. So that I can instantly remember whether I added them through boards, some other forum, just met them randomly online or am actually friends with them.
    • The ability to give your friends nicknames would be nice too, so rather than seeing UberGoober123, you could rename them as Spud or whatever you generally like to call them!

I'd probably prefer if some of these features were introduced to all users, rather than subscription only. They'll have to add new features for non-subscription customers at some stage too...won't they???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GavinEire

Its a good deal for only 50 Euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭freethepenguins

Hey,

Has anyone signed up to this and if so, what do u think?

4 on my friends list including me, sent most of today playing one of the minis you get with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I signed up for 90 days. I like the first set of "freebies". I didn't like that it downloaded the Heavy Rain demo for me, despite me having finished the game. I need to look into tweaking the auto-update.

Of course they're going to take the games away of you don't renew. People would only sign up for the three months when they saw a decent pack out.... LIKE I DID! Business is business, take it or leave it. I can totally see how some people wouldn't be into it. Grand.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I signed up for 90 days. I like the first set of "freebies". I didn't like that it downloaded the Heavy Rain demo for me, despite me having finished the game. I need to look into tweaking the auto-update.

Of course they're going to take the games away of you don't renew. People would only sign up for the three months when they saw a decent pack out.... LIKE I DID! Business is business, take it or leave it. I can totally see how some people wouldn't be into it. Grand.

have you played heavy rain since you updated, the auto download only checks for update and demos that you played recently since the new PS3 update, i deleted that demo before the update and it re-downloaded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I noticed lately that Harvey Norman sell 50 euro PSN credit for 40 euro,so you could go about it that way and it'd only cost ya 40 for the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I noticed lately that Harvey Norman sell 50 euro PSN credit for 40 euro,so you could go about it that way and it'd only cost ya 40 for the year
    Really? That's brilliant, I've gotta find my nearest Harvey Norman so.

I signed up for PSN+ yesterday. I would have waited until next month (I want the Motorstorm: PR DLC) but I wanted the free LBP. It's worth it for me as whilst I purchase from the PSN a lot so the extra discounts PSN+ subscribers get on games will save me money. Plus I'm sure there will be games I was going to buy anyway included in the 4 games a month. I'm surprised at how many people on my friends list have PSN+ (a mix of Boardsies and NeoGaffers really), 10 or so already.

It would be great if we got the Creat Studios sale that the US store got - they discounted their games to PSN+ subscribers and then gave away all the DLC for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I got it but this month is pretty scarce on stuff that I didn't have already (even the themes) plus the Killzone DLC is broken I think. I can play the maps in skirmish mode but cant get into any of the games that you need the DLC for online?? Weird and annoying because they were the thing that made me take the plunge. I think its an interesting service that kind of evolves the idea of what you get from a console and its online element. I think (like EVERYTHING Sony does) it will start off average and turn into something awesome.

Stuff like what GothPunk described above is what this service should be all about and hopefully Europe wont be left behind!

GothPunk wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how many people on my friends list have PSN+ (a mix of Boardsies and NeoGaffers really), 10 or so already.

I'm only on 5 friends on plus, i thought the psn credit be the same a phone credit with no chance of a bonus.

RAIN wrote: »
    the Killzone DLC is broken I think. I can play the maps in skirmish mode but cant get into any of the games that you need the DLC for online??
    it's only the one DLC map pack are you sure the games you trying don't need another of the packs as well.

As Kevin Butler said "Though we may pledge fanboy allegiances to different flags", which is all well and good but am i the only one who thinks they should have chosen a symbol that looks slightly less like a swastika for their fanboys to rally behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Got this a couple of days ago and am quite happy with it.

I was lucky in that I didn't have any of the games they were giving away.

Little Big Planet is fantastic. Never got it when it came out as I didn't think it'd be my kind of thing, but I realise how good it is now. Wipeout HD is very good too.

The Age of Zombies mini is great!! Loads of fun, althugh I played through it in under an hour.

Fieldrunners is ok. It's runs kinda slow, which I wouldn't have expected for a game it's size. But other than that it's ok.

Destruction Derby is ok. The menu's are kinda annoying, but it's a game I remember from my youth so has nostalgia.

Haven't tried the Killzine DLC yet, but definitely will.

All in all I found it to be worth it.

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Fieldrunners is ok. It's runs kinda slow, which I wouldn't have expected for a game it's size. But other than that it's ok.

Does the game freeze or slow every 25 rounds for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I hope that when the movies come on line that they include a free film or 2 a month as well that would top it off.

I paid for the first year up front so dont have to worry about it untill next year so ive a good long time to evaluate it.

I paid for the first year up front so dont have to worry about it untill next year so ive a good long time to evaluate it.
    Do you have a credit card set up to renew be bad if you lost some content after subscribing for a year.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Do you have a credit card set up to renew be bad if you lost some content after subscribing for a year.

Yea ive the cc set up. Ill prob keep the subscription. At the moment anyway im happy with it. May start to get fed up if the games all come first of the month and i have them all already. I would like if they spread some of the content out so i have something new each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Yeah for a few seconds. But even when you complete a round or start one it's really slow I feel. Well for a modern game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

GothPunk wrote: »
    Really? That's brilliant, I've gotta find my nearest Harvey Norman so.

Yup,thats the price in Limerick HN neway

This is great more stuff, this may be only the US store but some of it may be coming here.

PlayStation Plus
    Field Runners (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers) US didn't get it apparently
    MAG Raven Character Avatar (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
    MAG SVER Character Avatar (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
    MAG Valor Character Avatar (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
    King Zumo Theme (Free to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
    Super Stardust HD (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, original price $9.99)
    Super Stardust HD Team add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
    Super Stardust HD Solo add-on Pack (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, original price $4.99)
    Hamsterball (PlayStation Plus price $3.99, original price $9.99)

the US store got more stuff and even if the EU one didn't it may happen more than once each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

it does that for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Was I day dreaming when I could have sworn we where all told at E3 that we would be getting a free 3 month trial with PS +? I am 90% positive we where told this so where is our free trial??

Was I day dreaming when I could have sworn we where all told at E3 that we would be getting a free 3 month trial with PS +? I am 90% positive we where told this so where is our free trial??

The US got that and different games we get LBP if you buy a years subscription

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

*IIRC, subscribe to a one year deal and get 3 months free.
    Not, here is 3 months free...go mad...:rolleyes:

*Of course, I am very drunk at the moment...:D

EDIT: Grumpypants might be right...

Sony want to know what games we want, the general opinion is that fewer old games would be good so every ones get something and the people that have a lot of content already don't get screwed.

Say what you want at Eu blog

I just got Fat princess yesterday so i hope that won'y be on it or at least some kind of bonus if you already have it.

• Advertisement

Turned on your Automatic Downloads. From the Monday, 19th July the brand new, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days demo will be made available as a PlayStation Plus Push Demo. So not only will you get the chance to be among the first gamers to try out this new slice of Kane and Lynch mayhem, but you don’t even have to lift a finger to do it. What an age we live in…

4799153586_2e671cb31f.jpg

And if you’re not yet a Plus subscriber, despair. The demo will be made available to all the riffraff users in next week’s Store publish on Wednesday, 21st July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement