Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Any chance of sending me a PM with the details? Looking to get a 1TB drive myself.

FYI this is the one I got and it worked like a charm.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0053YLTBC

The important specs are:
    - SATA
    - 2.5"
    - 5400RPM

Any drive that fits that criteria should work IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Otacon wrote: »

The important specs are:
    - SATA
    - 2.5"
    - 5400RPM

Same one. Only issue I had was the firmware needs to be in USB key folder >PS3>UPDATE

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The important specs are:
    - SATA
    - 2.5"
    - 5400RPM

Must get one myself after Christmas. Currently have the 120GB model. Not much good if want to download all the PS+ games. I usually just download what i plan on playing but with more room, can just download anytime you're not using the internet for anything else and have them ready in case you decide to try something out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The important specs are:
    - SATA
    - 2.5"
    - 5400RPM

It also needs to be under 9mm high, some 2.5" drive are larger than that.

A 5400RPM is better in most cases but some games that use a lot of virtual memory which will benefit from a faster drive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Varik wrote: »
    It also needs to be under 9mm high, some 2.5" drive are larger than that.

A 5400RPM is better in most cases but some games that use a lot of virtual memory which will benefit from a faster drive.

Faster drive = more heat, wouldn't be interested in adding any excessive heat.
    Best to keep it at 5400rpm.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Faster drive = more heat, wouldn't be interested in adding any excessive heat.
    Best to keep it at 5400rpm.

Faster can equal less heat with an SDD, any game made on Bethesda's Creation Engine or to a lesser degree their Gamebryo engine will benefit a load from a faster drive.

An SDD is not particle for plus, but there are a few eco and low heat 7200 drive out there; these games also benefit from a larger cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Faster can equal less heat with an SDD, any game made on Bethesda's Creation Engine or to a lesser degree their Gamebryo engine will benefit a load from a faster drive.

An SDD is not particle for plus, but there are a few eco and low heat 7200 drive out there; these games also benefit from a larger cache.

Whatever about the heat, when you're talking 14 or 15 seconds loading time saving 1 or 2 seconds with a 7200 is negligible and not worth the extra cash imo. A 5400 is fine.

sin0city wrote: »
    Whatever about the heat, when you're talking 14 or 15 seconds loading time saving 1 or 2 seconds with a 7200 is negligible and not worth the extra cash imo. A 5400 is fine.

Not speaking about loading times while they would be slightly better, some games use virtual memory such as skyrim and before some of the later patches evened it out a bit the frame rate you'd see on a faster 7200/hybrid/sdd was vastly better than a 5200 drive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Not speaking about loading times while they would be slightly better, some games use virtual memory such as skyrim and before some of the later patches evened it out a bit the frame rate you'd see on a faster 7200/hybrid/sdd was vastly better than a 5200 drive.

Normally i'd champion a 7200rpm drive with a bigger cache....but since i bought this: http://www.memoryc.com/storage/internalharddrives/250gbseagatemomentusthinsata7200rpm.html

my PS3 has been slower.....:( , dunno why....but the original 160GB 5400RPM was snappier.......:confused:

I'll stick with the 5400 drive since that's what the original drive is and just in case there was a reason they went with that, other than cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Was wondering if anyone could help me. I've only got a 160gb drive and am limited on space after getting 9 months worth of plus recently and downloading batman and limbo.

If there are any other games that take my fancy, such as vanquish, can I just purchase them free with plus before they are removed and then I can download it anytime I want while I have a plus sub?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Beekay wrote: »
    If there are any other games that take my fancy, such as vanquish, can I just purchase them free with plus before they are removed and then I can download it anytime I want while I have a plus sub?

Yep. You can delete stored items on your hard drive and download them if/when required too - only way to keep space, TBH! Also worth considering deleting those crazy big install files of disc-based games you're finished with.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Nobody wrote about this but Sony have launched an online version of the PS store and its a hell of a lot more organized than the console. Used it earlier to add the devil may cry demo to my download list and it was done and dusted rather well. Will defo be using it for the PS+ content from now on as I can't stand using the store on my ps3

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/home/games

EJ22 wrote: »
    Nobody wrote about this but Sony have launched an online version of the PS store and its a hell of a lot more organized than the console. Used it earlier to add the devil may cry demo to my download list and it was done and dusted rather well. Will defo be using it for the PS+ content from now on as I can't stand using the store on my ps3

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/home/games

Already a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Really well designed website that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Already a thread.
    Damn it! Never checked for some stupid reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I spent some time looking at add-ons and DLC...notably freebie stuff, there is free stuff for Batman and LBP2.

I spent some time looking at add-ons and DLC...notably freebie stuff, there is free stuff for Batman and LBP2.

I can't tell as I already have some of it but at least the Harley's Revenge is still €9.99.

If you're looking at the catwoman DLC that's meant to be free with a new game so you get it with the PSN version as that can't not be new. There'll be discounts next week for the batman DLC according to the blog.

Sleeping dogs is up on the PSN store for €19.99 with an additional 10% off for plus members.

Offer expires 11.59pm on 10th December

Direct link to store.
    store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

A new game for €18 from PSN? That is a Christmas miracle! :)
    What's the normal price?
    Just looked and it's normally €59.99

And it includes 3 DLC packs.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What's the normal price?

67% for non-plus members and 70% off for plus, it's 10% off the 19.99 rather than off the original price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Hey folks, I downloaded LIMBO through the PSN store. I am a PS+ member so I got it for free. The problem is when i went to download the game there was only a 6kb file to download (Did a bit of googling and it seems this is the unlock code).

The problem is I cant seem to be able to download the full game. When I go into the game and try to download it the same 6kb file appears. I dont have LIMBO on my XMB.

How do I play the bloody game?

I know it's stupd to have the unlock without them linking the game. I just did a search for Limbo and got it that way. It's about 95MB so you can the by the size in the info screen before adding to your cart

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hogzy wrote: »
    Hey folks, I downloaded LIMBO through the PSN store. I am a PS+ member so I got it for free. The problem is when i went to download the game there was only a 6kb file to download (Did a bit of googling and it seems this is the unlock code).

The problem is I cant seem to be able to download the full game. When I go into the game and try to download it the same 6kb file appears. I dont have LIMBO on my XMB.

How do I play the bloody game?
    That's a confirmed problem on psn. You have to scroll through your download list. Search your emails to find out when you first downloaded the demo. Makes it a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

CastorTroy wrote: »
    What's the normal price?

And it includes 3 DLC packs.
    What dlcs?

jaxdasher wrote: »
    What dlcs?

Included in this Digital Edition are three premium DLC packs:

The Retro Triad Pack - Go old school with a killer look and ride straight out of the 80s! New hair, accessories, clothes and boots are combined with an iconic kung fu van. Everyone will know you are big trouble on the streets of Hong Kong.

The Red Envelope Pack - For fortune and prosperity, 20 envelopes stuffed with cash are scattered throughout Hong Kong, find them all and you'll net a cool 1 Million HK dollars.

The Street Racer Pack - Burn rubber in four wheels, tear up the streets on two tires, and even rip through the water in your speedboat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Sleeping dogs is up on the PSN store for €19.99 with an additional 10% off for plus members.

Offer expires 11.59pm on 10th December

Direct link to store.
    store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com

:eek:

I don't know if I can resist this. I swore off buying any new games until Bioshock next year... but digital doesn't count, right? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Of course I just ordered it from amazon at the end of November.
    £20 but hey, them's the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I took the decision to resist it. I do want Sleeping Dogs, I will buy Sleeping Dogs and I do think that's a great offer. But I've just got too many games on my list and not enough time or cash pre-Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I did not resist :( Wrong end of the impulse buy spectrum!

I do plan to play before the holiday season. If it downloads in time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement