Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Wing126 wrote: »

47.99 in my HMV.
    The Hmv I was in was dundrum. Surprisingly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

jaxdasher wrote: »
    The Hmv I was in was dundrum. Surprisingly cheaper.

Yeah, it was 37.99 in Drogheda last month. Went in the other day and it was 47.99 with 10 euro off if you buy it with a PS3.
    Would be tempted to go to Dundrum had I a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Wing126 wrote: »

Yeah, it was 37.99 in Drogheda last month. Went in the other day and it was 47.99 with 10 euro off if you buy it with a PS3.
    Would be tempted to go to Dundrum had I a car.
    If anyone is lookin for it cheap, says it is 37 odd on psn

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could just answer one or two questions for me about Playstation Plus?

Had a 360, red-ringed on me and went in the bin. Was only used for GTA IV. Planning to buy GTA V when it comes out and with the fear of the 360 having multiple discs, I figured I'd get a PS3. Anyway, got one for Christmas. It's the 12GB version (which is fine with me, as I only intend to play GTA V on it).

However, since getting it and doing some random Googling, i head about this (PS Plus). Can anyone tell me briefly how it works?

As far as I understand, you sign up for a year for approximately €50, and get free games each month for doing so (but you have to remain a member forever, and keep re-subscribing or you lose all the free stuff).

My quick questions are:

1. Are there any other hidden charges or such (or additional features constantly waved in your face to get you to pay more)?

2. If I subscribe today, do I get access to all the free stuff from before, or do I start from Scratch (ie; if they gave away a game last month, can I still get it, or do I only get access for the stuff that becomes available from when I join onwards)

3. If I let my subscription die off/don't renew on time, do i lose everything, or upon re-paying do i get access to everything I had in the past again.

4. If PS+ offers 2 games this month, and I want them both, do I actually have to permanently download them? Or is it more like Steam where I can 'buy' them, but download them at a later date (when I actually want to play them? So essentially I can take everything for free that's offered to me, but only download one game, play it, delete it, get another game, get bored of it, delete and re-download the first game again, etc.?).

Also is there anything someone unfamiliar with Sony/PS3/PSPlus should be aware of before joining up?

I know 12GB will fill in no time if I join this PSPlus thingymajiggy, so plan to slap a 320GB drive into the PS3 (seems easy enough to do).

Sorry if these are all fairly silly questions, but I tried Googling around a bit and not having much luck getting straight-forward answers, so figured it best to ask real people on here rather than flicking through articles and older threads on random forums.

Thank you gentlemen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone could just answer one or two questions for me about Playstation Plus?

Had a 360, red-ringed on me and went in the bin. Was only used for GTA IV. Planning to buy GTA V when it comes out and with the fear of the 360 having multiple discs, I figured I'd get a PS3. Anyway, got one for Christmas. It's the 12GB version (which is fine with me, as I only intend to play GTA V on it).

However, since getting it and doing some random Googling, i head about this (PS Plus). Can anyone tell me briefly how it works?

As far as I understand, you sign up for a year for approximately €50, and get free games each month for doing so (but you have to remain a member forever, and keep re-subscribing or you lose all the free stuff).

My quick questions are:

1. Are there any other hidden charges or such (or additional features constantly waved in your face to get you to pay more)?

2. If I subscribe today, do I get access to all the free stuff from before, or do I start from Scratch (ie; if they gave away a game last month, can I still get it, or do I only get access for the stuff that becomes available from when I join onwards)

3. If I let my subscription die off/don't renew on time, do i lose everything, or upon re-paying do i get access to everything I had in the past again.

4. If PS+ offers 2 games this month, and I want them both, do I actually have to permanently download them? Or is it more like Steam where I can 'buy' them, but download them at a later date (when I actually want to play them? So essentially I can take everything for free that's offered to me, but only download one game, play it, delete it, get another game, get bored of it, delete and re-download the first game again, etc.?).

Also is there anything someone unfamiliar with Sony/PS3/PSPlus should be aware of before joining up?

I know 12GB will fill in no time if I join this PSPlus thingymajiggy, so plan to slap a 320GB drive into the PS3 (seems easy enough to do).

Sorry if these are all fairly silly questions, but I tried Googling around a bit and not having much luck getting straight-forward answers, so figured it best to ask real people on here rather than flicking through articles and older threads on random forums.

Thank you gentlemen :)

1. No hidden charges. You pay for Plus and get the games. You still have to pay for DLC, etc so nothing important to the game

2. At any one time there are at least 10 games available that are rotated, so when 2 are added, 2 are taken out. But if you sign up, you have access to all the games currently available here
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/your-instant-game-collection/cid=STORE-MSF75508-PLUSINSTANTGAME

3. Upon repaying you get the access back

4. Just "purchase" them and download when you want, like Steam

Also while you lose access to your free games if your sub expires, you still have access to any games you bought with any PS Plus Discounts.

The next game rotation is Jan 2nd so sign up before then and add all the games to the download list to ensure you get them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Was only used for GTA IV. Planning to buy GTA V when it comes out and with the fear of the 360 having multiple discs, I figured I'd get a PS3. Anyway, got one for Christmas. It's the 12GB version (which is fine with me, as I only intend to play GTA V on it).

The PS3 version had a 3.4 GB install, if you get any DLC then it's likely not enough.

A year can be gotten for cheaper, a few post back list the price. Anything that is discounted by plus i.e 10% off that you then buy never goes away, as does some other things like profile pictures and themes.

No.

You get the games on the list now, games stay on the list for at least a month O think Fingers put a list on this thread of the games that are being added and removed.

You'll get it back when resubbing, the terms say it's may not but there's been no instance of it not working after subbing again.

There's 10 games for PS3 and 4 for Vita, they change 2-3 a month and if you sub today you'll get all the games that are on the list right now even the ones that were added a long while ago.

No, just add to cart and purchase them (€0) it's on your account after that.

Even if you don't want the games add them, even if you don't have a PS vita added the games as you have a huge collection if you ever buy/win or otherwise get one.

A 500Gb would be better, you'll need the €10 HDD mount to install any HDD in a super slim.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    1. No hidden charges. You pay for Plus and get the games. You still have to pay for DLC, etc so nothing important to the game

2. At any one time there are at least 10 games available that are rotated, so when 2 are added, 2 are taken out. But if you sign up, you have access to all the games currently available here
    https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/your-instant-game-collection/cid=STORE-MSF75508-PLUSINSTANTGAME

3. Upon repaying you get the access back

4. Just "purchase" them and download when you want, like Steam

Also while you lose access to your free games if your sub expires, you still have access to any games you bought with any PS Plus Discounts.

The next game rotation is Jan 2nd so sign up before then and add all the games to the download list to ensure you get them

Cheers for that CastorTroy!

From reading that it seems kinda like Plus is an essential purchase.

I suppose one last question I'd have is, are the games that are generally given away worthwhile? Or are they all nonsense games you'd rarely buy anyway, with one major game thrown in every 6 months to make it sound like you're getting a lot from it?

(from looking at the list of games you linked to, I recognise some of the names, but some of them I've never heard of - though to be fair, I haven't really been into gaming for a long time).

For example, I'd be interested in picking up Hitman: Absolution and whatever the most recent Forza game would be; would hoping these games will appear be a waste of time as they'll only actually appear when they're selling for €2.99 in bargain bins, or do games that are still relatively new/popular make appearances, too?

(I'm aware that the selection is random, and I'm not expecting to pay €50 and get a brand new €60 release every month, but just trying to work out if the games that appear are generally well-liked/wanted games, or if they're the kinda games that fell on their faces and Sony are just giving them away because they're selling very poorly in the first place)?.

(I realise that's a bit crude, as every game, regardless of how good/bad it is, has a fair bit of effort put into it, which I respect, but you know the kinda question I'm asking)

EDIT: Sorry Varik. Didn't see your post when I wrote mine. Cheers for the detailed response. :)

Will mooch back a few pages for pricing and such (will go back about 10 pages and just start reading from there to see if i can get an idea of what people are saying about Plus in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

Just signed up to it recently. the games look great, particularly if you have a vita and a ps3. Just downloaded motorstorm apocolypse and resident evil for the ps3, as well as uncharted and mortal kombat for vita

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's well worth the money. Out of that list most of them would cost €10 at the least so you're saving money that way. The quality of the games is great. Out of them, I love Infamous 2 and Arkham City. Limbo's a short indie game but is critically acclaimed and loved by other players. Bulletstorm, Vanquish and Little Big Planet 2 are also really liked by PS3 owners. I haven't played them yet.
    As far as I know, the retail games are usually at least a year old. Other games such as PSN only games can be added the same time they become available for free the same day they become available for purchase to non subbers.

It's actually gotten to the point where I'm reluctant to buy a game since it may become available. :)

Cheers for the help guys. Looks like it's pretty much an essential purchase, anyway, then.

I'm in no rush for it though so I'll get the extra HDD and tray sorted before buying into Plus.

Thanks, all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Just to point out you're definitely wasting your time waiting for Forza; it's published by Microsoft so is an Xbox exclusive

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Just to point out you're definitely wasting your time waiting for Forza; it's published by Microsoft so is an Xbox exclusive

Yeah I realised that just after I wrote it.

Gran Turismo seems to be the PS equivalent of both Forza and Project Gotham from what I can see?

Which is a shame, as it doesn't look that great at all (judging from videos, haven't actually played it, but it looks very sluggish).

Yeah I realised that just after I wrote it.

Gran Turismo seems to be the PS equivalent of both Forza and Project Gotham from what I can see?

Which is a shame, as it doesn't look that great at all (judging from videos, haven't actually played it, but it looks very sluggish).

There's also the Need for Speed series, which is multi-platform. The current one, Most Wanted, is very good. It's made by the team that made the Burnout games, if you ever played any of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I singed up for plus today and tried to download limbo but I don't think its actually downloading. When I go to download it the file is tiny so it only takes a few seconds to download, but I cant seem to find it anywhere.

I singed up for plus today and tried to download limbo but I don't think its actually downloading. When I go to download it the file is tiny so it only takes a few seconds to download, but I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Are you sure it's not just the unlock you're downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I had this problem too. Its just the unlock key. You need to download the demo also.

There's also the Need for Speed series, which is multi-platform. The current one, Most Wanted, is very good. It's made by the team that made the Burnout games, if you ever played any of those games.

Have played Burnout. Planned to actually pick that up somewhere along the way.

Hitman looks like it's just the right mix of in-depth story/required thinking but also quite throwaway in that I can play it for ten minutes and then knock it off.

Used to love Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid and the likes, but don't think I'd have the patience for such games anymore. :/ (hence the search for a decent racing game that I can pick up and play until GTA V hits shelves).

Would love to be able to get back into gaming again, rather than using the net to pass time, but I find a lot of games I used to like don't have similar counterparts anymore.

Used to enjoy games like Power Stone (Dreamcast) which was a fun/quirky fight game. Also really enjoyed the original Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games. Great fun and never required too much time to get into. Smuggler's Run was also a mildly enjoyable game (I remember it being great fun, but I'm sure those are the old rose-tinted glasses). Conflict: Desert Storm 2 was excellent.

Also loved games that did require thinking, but that were a bit of fun, too (Rollercoaster Tycoon and the likes. Also thought Prisoner of War was a good laugh, though it did get tiring after a few levels).

But I can't seem to find similar equivalents to the above games. Not a fan of first person shooters, but I wish I was; PS3 seems to be well catered for in that area.

So hoping that if I get PS Plus, the random selection of games offered will reveal a few games I'll try out and enjoy. :)

(Sorry..that was a rather long-winded post :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

got a 50 euro vouchar for crimbo, but can't decide what to buy. Seems to me that there is so much cool stuff for free that the voucher is redundant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

weiland79 wrote: »
    got a 50 euro vouchar for crimbo, but can't decide what to buy. Seems to me that there is so much cool stuff for free that the voucher is redundant.

Maybe resub to PS+, €37 to stack another year onto your sub.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Maybe resub to PS+, €37 to stack another year onto your sub.

What's the €37 price about, out of curiousity? Like a Christmas discount or such? Do we know when it will return to €50? :)

• Advertisement

What's the €37 price about, out of curiousity?

To catch the christmas market, I presume.
    Like a Christmas discount or such? Do we know when it will return to €50? :)

I'm sure I read somewhere 2nd of january - thereabouts anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

What's the €37 price about, out of curiousity? Like a Christmas discount or such? Do we know when it will return to €50? :)

25% xmas discount

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Ok I think I'm going to sign up for this. Been out of gaming for the last few years but this really has gotten me interested.

I have an old fat PS3 with a 40 GB hard drive so gonna order a 1 TB off Amazon. In the meantime I'm thinking of signing up and downloading a game on to my current HD. When my 1TB arrives and I install it will I be able to re-download the game? I don't have anything much else on the HD so backing up isn't important to me, I also don't have a back up source.

Also are my settings on the PS3 contained on the HD or on the system itself, ie my account settings, dns settings etc?

I only use the PS3 for Netflix and am totally out of the loop so apologies if the questions seem pretty basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

adox wrote: »
    Also are my settings on the PS3 contained on the HD or on the system itself, ie my account settings, dns settings etc?

I only use the PS3 for Netflix and am totally out of the loop so apologies if the questions seem pretty basic.

All the important stuff is saved on the PS3 system software. Save your game saves to the cloud service and just swap out the hard drives. You just sign back in and everything will be there except any games and demos you installed.

Once you sign in you can download anything your missing.

Ok I think I'm going to sign up for this. Been out of gaming for the last few years but this really has gotten me interested.

Smart move, one of the best things about the PS3.
    I would sign up today if I were you, some games are leaving the PS+ section and are being replaced by more games tomorrow(details are back a page or two in this thread).
    I have an old fat PS3 with a 40 GB hard drive so gonna order a 1 TB off Amazon. In the meantime I'm thinking of signing up and downloading a game on to my current HD. When my 1TB arrives and I install it will I be able to re-download the game? I don't have anything much else on the HD so backing up isn't important to me, I also don't have a back up source.

You will be able to re-download anything you have previously downloaded.
    Don't forget to back up your saves to the cloud before installing your new HD.

EDIT: I was nine minutes writing that post... :eek:

Thanks for the quick responses guys, much appreciated. I've signed up and am downloading Arkham City at the moment. After taking F1ngers advice, I've checked to see what PS3 games are expiring tomorrow and there's also Bulletstorm and RE5, both of which I intend to download. Should I download them one after the other or together or does it make much difference/depend on your ISP?

Thanks for the quick responses guys, much appreciated. I've signed up and am downloading Arkham City at the moment. After taking F1ngers advice, I've checked to see what PS3 games are expiring tomorrow and there's also Bulletstorm and RE5, both of which I intend to download. Should I download them one after the other or together or does it make much difference/depend on your ISP?

Just "purchase" them. You can download them anytime then, even after they've been removed.

Just "purchase" them. You can download them anytime then, even after they've been removed.

Great thanks.

Last question, and thanks again for the help, below is the HD I'm going to order. I presume it's fine for the PS3?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAGATE-inch-5400RPM-SATA-Drive/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357041831&sr=8-1

or this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HN-M101MBB-5400rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

Any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Glad to hear Mortal Kombat (PS3) is being added. Bought a 500GB PS3 Slim just before Christmas in order to download games (had the phat 60GB). Went to download MK and just before I did, I noticed it was the Vita version. I'm guessing it'll be the Komplete Kollection version or whatever they called it, as that's what the Vita version was.

• Advertisement

Great thanks.

Last question, and thanks again for the help, below is the HD I'm going to order. I presume it's fine for the PS3?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SEAGATE-inch-5400RPM-SATA-Drive/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357041831&sr=8-1

or this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HN-M101MBB-5400rpm-Internal-Drive/dp/B0053YLTBC/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

Any difference?

Either will do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement