Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Is anyone else wondering what Sony will do with PS+ as a celebration for the PS4 launch? I can imagine PS+ being pretty ****ty for the first couple of months until they get some more titles to put up for free with PS+. For one, I doubt any of the launch titles will be free for PS+.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wing126 wrote: »
    Is anyone else wondering what Sony will do with PS+ as a celebration for the PS4 launch? I can imagine PS+ being pretty ****ty for the first couple of months until they get some more titles to put up for free with PS+. For one, I doubt any of the launch titles will be free for PS+.

It won't be PS plus, they replacing it with PS world and it rumoured to be more like Xbox Live, I can see the PS3 and Vita continuing as is but the PS4 just getting the equivalent of Gold for the first while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

My train of thought is that if I want to play a PS3 game, I'll use a PS3.

I am not so sure why people are getting so hung up on this backward compatibility thing, surely if you want to play a game, it is best to play it on the system it was designed for.
    The elephant you may be overlooking is.. when will Sony shut down the PS3 store and PS3 PS+. It will happen. And eventually you won't be able to access your paid or rented software.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

RangeR wrote: »
    The elephant you may be overlooking is.. when will Sony shut down the PS3 store and PS3 PS+. It will happen. And eventually you won't be able to access your paid or rented software.

If you go by the original Xbox live timeline itll be about 3 years after the PS4 is released

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Varik wrote: »
    It won't be PS plus, they replacing it with PS world and it rumoured to be more like Xbox Live, I can see the PS3 and Vita continuing as is but the PS4 just getting the equivalent of Gold for the first while.

I imagine that it'll still be PS+, this is from the conference on wednesday: PlaystationPlusPS4-940x500.png

Still, I can't imagine Sony changing the PS+ service much. Making it more like Xbox Live would damage it severely and I think this is a great example of why: http://www.destructoid.com/plus-points-sony-s-ps-plus-humiliates-the-game-industry-243470.phtml

I can't think of any features of Xbox live that aren't already free on the playstation so I don't see any reason why Sony would make PS+ more like Xbox Live. Hell, the only reason I bought Xbox Live myself was so I could actually, you know, use my xbox properly and play online.

Now, just in case anyone misreads me here, I'm not saying there's a thing wrong with the Xbox itself, just the subscription service is a bit of a joke compared to PS+. I only got my xbox last year and I've still a few months left with gold, I won't be renewing it after and if Sony make PS+ more like xbox live, I probably won't renew my ps+ subscription either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

did our American cousins blow a gasket when they saw our booty for next month......:confused:

:p

did our American cousins blow a gasket when they saw our booty for next month......:confused:

It usually doesn't start till they have their content announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

In awe of the content i'm getting from this, €50 for all this months games alone is worth it. I have the Platinum for MGS2 + MGS3 for PS3. Now i can try get the platinum of the vita versions too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes, especially about MGS HD:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

penev10 wrote: »
    Are the saves from a disc version and digital version of the same game compatible with either version?

I can confirm that for LBP2 your save doesn't work. Funnily enough it's one trophy set though.

Plus is yet again astonishingly good value. DOA5 - I'm delighted!!

• Advertisement

Klair88 wrote: »
    In awe of the content i'm getting from this, €50 for all this months games alone is worth it. I have the Platinum for MGS2 + MGS3 for PS3. Now i can try get the platinum of the vita versions too!

There's no try, the lists are separate but linked; you earn it in one you get it in the other but it still counts as two trophies.

You play this game and link it up (trans...whatever it) and you'll get the 2 platinum instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Varik wrote: »
    There's no try, the lists are separate but linked; you earn it in one you get it in the other but it still counts as two trophies.

You play this game and link it up (trans...whatever it) and you'll get the 2 platinum instantly.

So if i load my PS3 platinum save data onto the vita all the trophies will pop?

Klair88 wrote: »
    So if i load my PS3 platinum save data onto the vita all the trophies will pop?

Maybe not all, there's reports of some of them not syncing properly.

Also I don't anything from before you patched the game for transfaring will work.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/02/25/playstation-plus-plants-vs-zombies-free-for-members

The US got Plants VS Zombies for the last February update, they're going mad comparing that 1 week in February to our March update.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

There's a good few things Id like to buy off the store at the moment, but I'm wondering if it would be worth waiting to see if they are made available to ps+ users for free in the next few months. Saying that tho, they might never be added to ps+.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Always the problem. A good problem, but a problem. You want something but decide to wait, just in case, with the feeling that if you buy now, it'll become available on Plus at the next update

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Always the problem. A good problem, but a problem. You want something but decide to wait, just in case, with the feeling that if you buy now, it'll become available on Plus at the next update

That's exactly it, I'm mad to play journey and the walking dead after hearing all the praise they got. Wouldn't mind getting the ico collection as well. I can picture at least one of them being made available a month or two down the line.

I won't be purchasing anything else from the PSN store, other than my PS+ subs, until Sony come out and state what is going to happen to the PSN store when the PS3 is no longer officially supported.

It's always been a semi concern of mine but really brought home when the PS4 was made a reality. I know it was ALWAYS a possibility but sometimes you just think that it will never happen. There will come a time when developers stop selling for PS3. Meaning that there will be no further updates to the PS3 section of the store. I want to know how long Sony will keep it active. My hope is "forever". I've spent well over €400 on the PSN so far. Maybe more. I'll be damned if I'm going to put more money into it until I have some form of certainty.

I don't have this worry with Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It won't be forever. It'll be until Sony go bust. Which could be tomorrow.

Steam could go bust tomorrow as well. That's the uncertainty that you get with downloads and why I'll always prefer physical media.

Beefy78 wrote: »

Steam could go bust tomorrow as well. That's the uncertainty that you get with downloads and why I'll always prefer physical media.

That's a fair point but "I" "did" "put" "Forever" "in" "quotes". My meaning that it's not artificially ended. If a company goes bust then **** happens. But once they don't come around and say "meh, we're shutting down PS3 access to PSN just because". That's what I worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

That's a fair point but "I" "did" "put" "Forever" "in" "quotes". My meaning that it's not artificially ended. If a company goes bust then **** happens. But once they don't come around and say "meh, we're shutting down PS3 access to PSN just because". That's what I worry about.

Why dont you have a detailed look at the PSN terms and conditions.

Why do you feel safe about steam though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Think by the time PS4 comes out you'll probably have little interest in playing the older games. We'll probably be all getting chased round our living rooms by 3D Zombies and the like! The older games will have little appeal anyway, as the technology and games will have moved on.*

*currently playing Final Fantasy IX on the Vita

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

I'm playing it on the PS3! Amazing what the managed to get out of the PS1, the cutscenes still look good.

It is tough to know what to buy/not to buy with Plus though.
    I stay away from digital retail PS3 games, apart from what goes up on Plus.
    At least if you buy physical you can trade it. I bought Sleeping Dogs, traded it for Dishonored. Then traded Mass Effect 3 in against Ni No Kuni...would have been stuck with them if bought digitally.

Be interested to know what'll happen Plus when they stop supporting PS3 though. Possibly just give you access to the games without further subscription or subscription at a serious markdown once they start running out of games to put up...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Beefy78 wrote: »

Valve have said before they have a plan in place to allow people to keep their downloads if they ever do go bust. Haven't elaborated on it though.

sin0city wrote: »
    Be interested to know what'll happen Plus when they stop supporting PS3 though. Possibly just give you access to the games without further subscription or subscription at a serious markdown once they start running out of games to put up...

Plus will heavily evolve over the next two years as Sony progress through what the PS4 can offer them and us in added value. Sony are onto a serious winner with PS+ and it can only get better with the PS4. It would be commercial suicide if they started taking away from it. I mean services, not PS3 specific.

I see PS+ eventually winding down PS3 additions, within 3 to 4 years, and the gradual addition of PS4 content. Potential additional support for Gaikai either included in the PS+ price or at a substantial discount price for PS+ subscribers. Top price to non PS+ users.

Actually, I see Gaikai taking over PS+ as the provider of the Instant Games Collection. Why put customers through a 10GB download [and the expense of that bandwidth to Sony] when you can just stream it on demand? Much more efficient and HDD usage will go way down [for gamers]

In the short to mid term [next 5 years?] maybe Sony would give customers the option of streaming OR downloading, as high speed broadband isn't totally prevalent.

Valve have said before they have a plan in place to allow people to keep their downloads if they ever do go bust. Haven't elaborated on it though.

That wouldn't be too difficult to do. They just need the opposite of a kill switch built into the Steam Client. The crudest form would be a text file on a steam server somewhere that when populated, opens up all games in your list DRM Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Thing is, PS+ is a subscription service. You're renting the games, not buying them, so you don't ever 'own' them and when and if Sony decides to call time on PS+, your subscription ends.

Thing is, PS+ is a subscription service. You're renting the games, not buying them, so you don't ever 'own' them and when and if Sony decides to call time on PS+, your subscription ends.

Missing the point. I'm talking about total PS3 PSN access. Not just PS+. Let's say that Sony pull the plug on PS3 PSN access in 12 months time. What happens if my PS3 HDD dies in 13 months and I replace it. I lose every single bit of content I "own". I've purchased more digital content than I obtained through PS+.

The argument stating that I won't want to play them as there will be better games on PS4 doesn't hold water for many reasons. I may not have a PS4. I may want to play some PS3 games. There are a lot of them that are actually pretty good and probably won't be ported to PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Missing the point. I'm talking about total PS3 PSN access. Not just PS+. Let's say that Sony pull the plug on PS3 PSN access in 12 months time. What happens if my PS3 HDD dies in 13 months and I replace it. I lose every single bit of content I "own". I've purchased more digital content than I obtained through PS+.

The argument stating that I won't want to play them as there will be better games on PS4 doesn't hold water for many reasons. I may not have a PS4. I may want to play some PS3 games. There are a lot of them that are actually pretty good and probably won't be ported to PS4.

This is the point I was trying to make last week but couldn't articulate it. This is what would be my one nagging issue with the transition from PS3 to PS4. If they said "All your PSN data will eventually be available on PS4" I'd be sold right now and would place a pre-order. But because its not, I'll wait and see.

I really like my playstation and this is a first for the consoles, the transition from one generation to another where digital games are available and if Microsoft are the only ones to allow you to migrate them across, that will put a serious dent in my "I love playstation" armour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Uncharted 3 Multiplayer becomes free for all PSN users, interesting move this by Sony

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/393358/uncharted-3-multiplayer-becomes-free-to-play-on-psn/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement