Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So I'm confused about that. Would someone who own s Uncharted 3 and activated the Online Pass have to pay to go over Level 15

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So I'm confused about that. Would someone who own s Uncharted 3 and activated the Online Pass have to pay to go over Level 15

Yes, or at least that's the way it worked with Killzone 3. Had the game, got rid of it but then couldn't play the 'free' online version because I'd gone above the free level cap.

But if still own Uncharted 3. Or are they saying there'll be 2 different Multiplayer groups now? The ones playing from the disc and those playing this version

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No everyone with the disc will just continue playing as normal. The only thing they'll notice is more lower level players who are trying out the free online trial.

Ah ok. Yeah that's what I was wondering. Whether or not those who own the game and used the online code would have to pretty much get another code to play what they've been playing all this time.

Not that it affects me anyway since I don't play it. Think I was level 6 when I stopped. But was just curious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finally started playing Sleeping Dogs. Seems really good and interesting, but f*ck me the camera for driving (and probably the driving in general) gives me a headache. I like the ability to ram cars and stuff, but the camera, especially on a bike is just horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hogzy wrote: »
    Why do you feel safe about steam though?

I feel safe about Steam as it's not hardware dependent. PC's are highly upgradeable. Console aren't. End of.

Of course it's possible that Steam could just remove certain games as they see fit but Steam also allows highly customiseable backup. I can backup my favourite 1, 3, 6, 10 games. Or I can choose to backup every game. Whatever I decide.

The PS3, not so much.
    • I have to plug in an external hard drive AFTER I guess how big I need it to be.
    • Make sure it's in the correct format that can be read by the PS3.
    • Then do a FULL system backup
    • While it's totally doable, it's no where as easy as Steam.

I would have to do this every time I download a game that I don't want to lose.

I know there are people out there that hate on Steam. I personally think, that as a form of DRM [which I'm against], Valve have done Digital Distribution right. I have total access to my purchases. I can play my games on ANY PC [once I restore or download first]. I've never been able to NOT play my games when I wanted.

And all the added benefits [there are many more]
    • In built in communications with my team mates [certain fanbois would call it cross game chat]. No more Teamspeak server required, EVER.
    • In built excellent browser, for that one time when I absolutely MUST check something while in game.
    • Background game updates that just work.
    • It just works.

Yes, there are a couple of gripes but I don't see them as that bad and sometimes needed [MUST update before going online] . In fact, my biggest gripe would be the never ending wallet emptying sales that they run ALL the time.

Valve just got it right. In almost every way.

The consoles are just a different business model. Old and archaic. They are not able to change fast enough with consumer sentiment. The PS3 was a case in point. It was released around the time of social networking, mass market of Interweb with the advent of smart phones. It was the first foray into Digital Distribution but it stuck rigidly to the old Retail business model [no discounts]. they haven't really had a GOOD sale. They are sort of getting there in the past 6 months or so but they are nothing like Steam Sales.

Console just can't adapt. Sometimes it's because of hardware limitations, but mainly it old school thinking of the walled garden. Hopefully the PS4 will include future vision, but not at the detriment of PS3 users.

I hope I've explained why I don't fear my Steam purchases and why I really fear losing my PS3 purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Penn wrote: »
    Finally started playing Sleeping Dogs. Seems really good and interesting, but f*ck me the camera for driving (and probably the driving in general) gives me a headache. I like the ability to ram cars and stuff, but the camera, especially on a bike is just horrendous

I don't know. I like the camera generally. Just nudging the right analog stick left or right makes it spin a little but I like it since I got used to it. As I think has been mentioned before, you can see well ahead of you when driving, unlike GTA IV where you had to hold down on the right analog stick or your vision was severely limited. Really like the sense of speed when you're flat out too. The camera is brutal when you're trying to reverse though.

Really like the game so far too. Open world games in the last while for me, have been:

1) Episodes From Liberty City
    2) Saints Row 2 (Thank you Plus)
    3) GTA IV and Saints Row: The third.

Haven't played enough of Sleeping Dogs yet to see where it fits in for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I find the camera fine in Sleeping Dogs. The driving in general isn't as strong a part of the game as it is in the GTA series though.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I find the camera fine in Sleeping Dogs. The driving in general isn't as strong a part of the game as it is in the GTA series though.

Yeah, GTA's driving is definitely more refined.

• Advertisement

RangeR wrote: »
    I feel safe about Steam as it's not hardware dependent. PC's are highly upgradeable. Console aren't. End of.

Of course it's possible that Steam could just remove certain games as they see fit but Steam also allows highly customiseable backup. I can backup my favourite 1, 3, 6, 10 games. Or I can choose to backup every game. Whatever I decide.

The PS3, not so much.
    • I have to plug in an external hard drive AFTER I guess how big I need it to be.
    • Make sure it's in the correct format that can be read by the PS3.
    • Then do a FULL system backup
    • While it's totally doable, it's no where as easy as Steam.

I would have to do this every time I download a game that I don't want to lose.

I know there are people out there that hate on Steam. I personally think, that as a form of DRM [which I'm against], Valve have done Digital Distribution right. I have total access to my purchases. I can play my games on ANY PC [once I restore or download first]. I've never been able to NOT play my games when I wanted.

And all the added benefits [there are many more]
    • In built in communications with my team mates [certain fanbois would call it cross game chat]. No more Teamspeak server required, EVER.
    • In built excellent browser, for that one time when I absolutely MUST check something while in game.
    • Background game updates that just work.
    • It just works.

Yes, there are a couple of gripes but I don't see them as that bad and sometimes needed [MUST update before going online] . In fact, my biggest gripe would be the never ending wallet emptying sales that they run ALL the time.

Valve just got it right. In almost every way.

The consoles are just a different business model. Old and archaic. They are not able to change fast enough with consumer sentiment. The PS3 was a case in point. It was released around the time of social networking, mass market of Interweb with the advent of smart phones. It was the first foray into Digital Distribution but it stuck rigidly to the old Retail business model [no discounts]. they haven't really had a GOOD sale. They are sort of getting there in the past 6 months or so but they are nothing like Steam Sales.

Console just can't adapt. Sometimes it's because of hardware limitations, but mainly it old school thinking of the walled garden. Hopefully the PS4 will include future vision, but not at the detriment of PS3 users.

I hope I've explained why I don't fear my Steam purchases and why I really fear losing my PS3 purchases.

I guess I see where you're coming from. From my perspective though you're expecting the PS3 and the PC to be like-for-like when it comes to these games. PCs are obviously massively different from eachother but I'd expect when I buy something from Steam that I'd have all that functionality that you're talking about, that I'd be able to access my games on any machine I'm on and, crucially, that when my current PC dies and I upgrade that my content will be available on that.

I don't think that was ever going to be the case with a console version of digital distribution. It's comparing apples and oranges.

If I buy a game online I'm buying a PS3 game. If the PS4 won't play PS3 games (and it was never going to) then when I upgrade I'm not going to be able to play my digital PS3 games because it isn't the same platform. If and when the PS4/PS5/PS6 begins to be able to emulate PS3 games then I would expect to be able to download and play my PS3 games on that in the same way as the Vita is now running PSP and PSX games, but until then if I want to play them then I'll need to plug in my PS3.

I appreciate that is not the point that you're making. However, I've seen nothing so far that suggests to me that Sony will pull the plug on PS3 games being in the store and therefore until I hear differently I think it's safe to assume that they'll be there to download when needed. In ten years time (or sooner if Sony fail which I wouldn't rule out) then maybe that will change but no assurance that Sony can provide now will change that possibility always existing. It's the danger of digital media.

EDIT - I understand the desire to 'keep' your purchases. I have boxes full of cartridges and cassette tapes, hundreds of Commodore 64 floppy disks as well as a huge number of boxed games across PC and the various PlayStations. But that's my issue. Culture has moved on. We live in a disposable society now and there's no turning back. So when the next 'Journey' comes along I'll buy it and love it in the knowledge that I'm unlikely to have easy access to it without re-sourcing it from somewhere if I want to revisit it in 15 years time.

Maybe it's just because I've mostly be using bikes rather than cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Penn wrote: »
    Maybe it's just because I've mostly be using bikes rather than cars.

Yeah I definitely thinks cars are much better to drive in Sleeping Dogs than bikes which is pretty much the opposite of GTA. I find the overall driving experience much better than GTA IV. It seems much more fluid and they have just the right amount of other cars and obstructions to make fast driving challenging but not impossible like GTA IV where you were constantly having to slow down or crash into other objects.

Basically, I find it a much more fun experience and unlike GTA IV I can actually see what is ahead without having to move the camera. Plus I like the timer that pops up when you don't hit anything for a few seconds so that you can try and beat your best time.

Yeah I definitely thinks cars are much better to drive in Sleeping Dogs than bikes which is pretty much the opposite of GTA. I find the overall driving experience much better than GTA IV. It seems much more fluid and they have just the right amount of other cars and obstructions to make fast driving challenging but not impossible like GTA IV where you were constantly having to slow down or crash into other objects.

Basically, I find it a much more fun experience and unlike GTA IV I can actually see what is ahead without having to move the camera. Plus I like the timer that pops up when you don't hit anything for a few seconds so that you can try and beat your best time.

I did like not having to have my finger on the right stick to see what was ahead of me the whole time.

I just found driving strange. Did a mission where you drive a minibus and had to escape from pursuers. It just felt like when taking a corner, you'd start going around a corner, but if you braked too hard, you'd seem to almost instantly stop. I was one of the people who actually loved the driving in GTAIV and thought it was pretty well done, and I played it fairly recently so maybe I'm just too used to that way of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

God of War 1 HD is free for plus members starting today for 2 weeks. So make sure to get it in your download list.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/02/27/ps-plus-exclusive-download-god-of-war-hd-for-free-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

tok9 wrote: »
    God of War 1 HD is free for plus members starting today for 2 weeks. So make sure to get it in your download list.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/02/27/ps-plus-exclusive-download-god-of-war-hd-for-free-today/

Only thing that would make this better (bar the other games being added) is if the US didn't get it, I can almost taste their tears.

tok9 wrote: »

So not only do Plus give us free games for the month announced beforehand, but they then just randomly give us more free games? How dare they? :D

Varik wrote: »
    Only thing that would make this better (bar the other games being added) is if the US didn't get it, I can almost taste their tears.

Schadenfreude.

We'd be the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

sin0city wrote: »
    Schadenfreude.

Was just about to post the same thing. There is no reason why it couldn't completely switch the other way with us getting the rubbish updates and none of us will be laughing then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I'm going to get a 90 day subscription for PS+ but just noticed on the Gamestop website that they sell this for €9.97, should I be worried about getting it through Gamestop? Am I missing out on something?

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    I'm going to get a 90 day subscription for PS+ but just noticed on the Gamestop website that they sell this for €9.97, should I be worried about getting it through Gamestop? Am I missing out on something?

No.

No.

Cheers, is that a decent price for the 90 day sub or can it be got cheaper somewhere else?

I think that's cheaper than RRP but I buy my subscription in Sterling so I'm not 100% sure. Either way you're talking a quid at most. Just pick it up and start enjoying this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

CHEAPER?:eek:

You want it for free? You ain't gonna get much cheaper than that. Just buy it. It's a great deal at twice the price.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Cheers, is that a decent price for the 90 day sub or can it be got cheaper somewhere else?

I don't think you'll get it much cheaper. It was on sale on psn recently but as far as I know that sale's over.

Thanks for the replies, when I asked if it could be found cheaper I wasn't suggesting it was over-priced just checking if it could be got cheaper. I know it's a great deal but no harm in saving a few quid if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sin0city wrote: »
    Schadenfreude.

Europe is the other shoe (or foot, not really sure), we've been getting ****ed for years and even if we're paying $16 more for plus than the US it's nice to be getting the better deal.

Look at it this way: It's compensating Europe for them likely getting the PS4 first. :) Though we're also getting Iron Man 3 before them as well, like we did with Iron Man 2, Thor and Avengers.

Varik wrote: »
    Europe is the other shoe (or foot, not really sure), we've been getting ****ed for years and even if we're paying $16 more for plus than the US it's nice to be getting the better deal.

I don't know, maybe the shoe was on the other foot. Just don't think it's about who is or isn't getting shafted. I'd like to see them get the same as us but unless there is one region worldwide someone will always come out better than the other. The Germans regularly lose out. I just wouldn't think it was very cool if I came across an American site where they were saying "ha, ha, those suckers in Europe are getting a way worse deal than us. ha ha. So, how about those Cowboys?"

We've just been lucky lately and it's no more our fault that the americans aren't getting a great deal than it was their fault when we weren't getting a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Downloading the U3 multiplayer. It comes with separate language pack for every language in Europe. Are they necessary or can I just leave them out?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement