Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Just set up a new PSN account with a UK address and you should be able to use the code and download games with that account. The games will be playable on your normal account once downloaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

EGriff wrote: »
    Just set up a new PSN account with a UK address and you should be able to use the code and download games with that account. The games will be playable on your normal account once downloaded.

Are you serious? It's that easy and I won't lose out on trophies and things?

That calmed me down in a shot! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Well I know I set up a Japanese account quite easily before. Give it a try anyway if nobody more knowledgeable comes along to say I'm talking rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

As EGriff said, that will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

jones wrote: »
    My ps3 is cabled in aswell wireless is too erratic for a big download like that ha!! I just left it on over night and its still only on 92% i paused it yesterday morning as i didnt want to leave it on all day again. I'll resume tonight the marathon download will continue haha. Why is the PSStore so slow though? i never used XBOX live even when i had one but from comments here its much faster

No idea. At least mine is consistent. Most likely what you said about cabled being more reliable.
    I downloaded DoA5 last night. 5.5 GB 2 1/2 hours.
    Tonight it will be Mass Effect 3. Checked last night, it's something like 13 or 14 GB, so I reckon 6-7 hours to download.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Yeah it's grand. I've 5 games in a download queue now.

It would've been handier had it been on my own account but it actually doesn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I had to do the same when my Irish account wouldn't recognise my Ulster Bank Visa Debit. Set up a UK account and am a happy PS+ subscriber :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And it's the UK one you'd have to keep the sub on? Like if you subbed to an Irish one later, you'd lose access to all the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And it's the UK one you'd have to keep the sub on? Like if you subbed to an Irish one later, you'd lose access to all the games?

Yup. Doesn't bother me that much I must say. PSN cards are easy to get hold of if necessary. I'm well set until this time next year at the moment anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kennypowers_

Thinking of signing up one question though, can you play the free downloaded games while offline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yes you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thinking of signing up one question though, can you play the free downloaded games while offline?

The expiration date is set when you first download them, if the games expire you'll need to be online to start them the first time and the date will update only at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've got a 2 PS3s one with the original 120GB(slim) and another with 500GB(Launch), I want to swap out the 500GB for a 1TB.
    I have every save in the cloud so they're safe, this is just so I don't need to download anything again.

Looking for a better and still free method to do this?

So;
    1 fat PS3 linked to the 500GB
    1 Slim linked to the 120GB
    1 new 1TB drive
    1 external enclosure

Step 1 Upgrading from a 500GB to a 1TB without losing anything.

I place the 1TB drive in the enclosure and back up the fat PS3 to that over USB.
    I place the 500GB in the slim and format it, then connect the 1TB using usb and restore the backup.
    I now place the 1TB in the fat and format it and then using the Ethernet connection transfer from the 500GB in the slim to the 1TB in the fat.

Step 2 Upgrading the 120GB to 500GB.

Same thing but with the 120GB and the 500GB

So I need can anyone think of a better method with the above supplies.You must be precise, one ounce of more or less will result in detonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Anyone see the deals on the UK store, hitman for £16 or less if you have plus, seems Borderlands 2 was £20 too, Bull**** this is not on the Irish store.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Anyone see the deals on the UK store, hitman for £16 or less if you have plus, seems Borderlands 2 was £20 too, Bull**** this is not on the Irish store.

Different regions have different offers.
    You may as well complain about the us and japanese stores too.

You do realise that you can buy those games from the uk store at that price.
    Hitman Absolution is £16 to non + members and £14.39 to + members.

Borderlands 2 is less than £20, think it's £18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭pah

Varik wrote: »
    I've got a 2 PS3s one with the original 120GB(slim) and another with 500GB(Launch), I want to swap out the 500GB for a 1TB.
    I have every save in the cloud so they're safe, this is just so I don't need to download anything again.

Looking for a better and still free method to do this?

So;
    1 fat PS3 linked to the 500GB
    1 Slim linked to the 120GB
    1 new 1TB drive
    1 external enclosure

Step 1 Upgrading from a 500GB to a 1TB without losing anything.

I place the 1TB drive in the enclosure and back up the fat PS3 to that over USB.
    I place the 500GB in the slim and format it, then connect the 1TB using usb and restore the backup.
    I now place the 1TB in the fat and format it and then using the Ethernet connection transfer from the 500GB in the slim to the 1TB in the fat.

Step 2 Upgrading the 120GB to 500GB.

Same thing but with the 120GB and the 500GB

So I need can anyone think of a better method with the above supplies.You must be precise, one ounce of more or less will result in detonation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The boob bounce in dead of alive is hilarious! As are the extra outfits you can buy. Playboy bunny and bikini!
    Here's a close up of the outfits, and remember, this is a fighting game.
    NSFW
    Yes, this is a fighting game!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Cienciano wrote: »
    The boob bounce in dead of alive is hilarious! As are the extra outfits you can buy. Playboy bunny and bikini!
    Here's a close up of the outfits, and remember, this is a fighting game.
    NSFW
    Yes, this is a fighting game!

So you bought all the extra outfits !!

osheen wrote: »
    So you bought all the extra outfits !!
    I'm not really into beat em ups, but graphics have come a long way since Chun Li in street fighter 2 turbo on the snes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'm not really into beat em ups, but graphics have come a long way since Chun Li in street fighter 2 turbo on the snes.

Still not really answering the question.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

whiterebel wrote: »

Too busy...

randy_marsh_jizz.jpg

whiterebel wrote: »

The boob wobbling sort of hypnotized me into buying the outfits.

http://kotaku.com/5983896/latest-dead-or-alive-5-patch-brings-enhanced-boob-control

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The tits in DOA5 are ridiculous. Especially in cutscenes in story mode. Woman turns slightly and her tits jiggle for about 5 seconds.

Haven't gotten too deep into DOA5. Still playing Sleeping Dogs. I do like the game, but I still hate the camera while driving, especially on motorbikes. It can be extremely shaky when going fast, and the way the camera swoops around when trying to reverse or turn around is extremely off-putting. Game in general is fantastic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Penn wrote: »
    Still playing Sleeping Dogs. I do like the game, but I still hate the camera while driving, especially on motorbikes. It can be extremely shaky when going fast, and the way the camera swoops around when trying to reverse or turn around is extremely off-putting. Game in general is fantastic though.

Same here. Loving it so far. I like the way the camera shakes at high speed and that you can see ahead of yourself but generally, I agree, the driving camera could be better, especially when reversing. Aside from that though, I really like the driving. I think it's more fun than GTA although I do miss the cockpit camera from GTA. The cars are also quality, the engine noises are savage. Only problem is I don't seem to be able to save the paint job colour when I change it?

So far the story is excellent too. Just did
    the wedding,
    which was a brilliant mission. The game is hardcore and gritty and I think the music is excellent too. The melee combat is the best I've played and the gun play is great as well, so yeah, hard to fault this game really.

I don't tend to play games while online though and one thing I have noticed is it says some feautures aren't available when not connected. Anything worth being connected for?

sin0city wrote: »
    I don't tend to play games while online though and one thing I have noticed is it says some feautures aren't available when not connected. Anything worth being connected for?

Nah. Seems to mostly just be advertising some of the DLC. There's also a few things like how when you drive without crashing, you try and beat your previous best, but if you're online it shows you a time by someone on your friends list and you try to beat their time instead. Wouldn't say you're missing out on anything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've decided to abandon my quest to get my first Platinum on Sleeping Dogs. The few trophies I need will require just too much grinding and it just doesn't interest me. If I'm not platinuming this then I doubt I will for any game.

The tits in DOA5 are ridiculous. Especially in cutscenes in story mode. Woman turns slightly and her tits jiggle for about 5 seconds.
    When they talk, the boobs jiggle. It's hilarious. I did a bit of the story mode (good if you don't play fighting games, it runs through loads of basic moves). When Kasumi goes to antartica, meeting some huge bloke dressed in furs, but she's in a skimpy outfit that exposes the side of her arse.
    Haven't gotten too deep into DOA5. Still playing Sleeping Dogs. I do like the game, but I still hate the camera while driving, especially on motorbikes. It can be extremely shaky when going fast, and the way the camera swoops around when trying to reverse or turn around is extremely off-putting. Game in general is fantastic though.
    Driving camera is great, you can see what's ahead of you! But games really should give you the option of customizing the camera angle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've decided to abandon my quest to get my first Platinum on Sleeping Dogs. The few trophies I need will require just too much grinding and it just doesn't interest me. If I'm not platinuming this then I doubt I will for any game.

I'm with you man. I fail to see the point of trophies at all.
    Since when did gaming become about some sort of achievement gratification and not just about having fun with a game? Please enlighten me as to what the point of collecting trophies is, apart from developers wanting people to keep their game in the machine and have to get all the dlc and play the multiplayer to get all the trophies?

A ding and a trophy on your PSN account. What are people trying to do, be the best at videogames? For the most part, they're not even hard to get. Anyone can put in the hours and get them. If you want to do something challenging, just play Dark Souls.

And it's not that I don't understand because I haven't tried. I tried with Assasin's Creed 2. Most of them were fun but the last one was collect all the feathers. That would have involved boring grinding, and for what?

So yeah, I just ignore them now. Sleeping Dogs is great and I've got a few sets of Health Shrines but no way I'm going to try and collect them all. It'd be mind numbingly boring and it'd make the game too easy anyway.

The only positive I can see is that it may add some replayability.
    Sorry for the rant, and it's obviously just how I feel, I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or anything, I just don't get how it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

I fail to see the point of trophies at all.
    Since when did gaming become about some sort of achievement gratification and not just about having fun with a game? Please enlighten me as to what the point of collecting trophies is, apart from developers wanting people to keep their game in the machine and have to get all the dlc and play the multiplayer to get all the trophies?

A ding and a trophy on your PSN account. What are people trying to do, be the best at videogames? For the most part, they're not even hard to get. Anyone can put in the hours and get them. If you want to do something challenging, just play Dark Souls.

People have been aiming for 100% completition of games long before online trophies and achievements existed. Was there any true tangible reward for collecting every single egg, gem and dragon in Spyro beyond those needed to access the final boss and roll the credits? Or actually Catching 'Em All in Pokemon? Nope, it's all to do with completion, and while doing just what is necessary to see the end credits is fine, people including myself get enjoyment from games for collecting everything there is to collect, discovering every single secret, doing all there is to do until there's nothing left and playing the game under certain conditions for extra challenge, eg playing through Mega Man using only the buster, rescuing every last slave in Abe's Oddysee, or completing Metal Gear Solid without a single alert or kill.

The only thing that's different now compared to then is the scope of your bragging rights has extended from friends who see you do it and people you tell in school, to a worldwide stage.

• Advertisement

Driving camera is great, you can see what's ahead of you! But games really should give you the option of customizing the camera angle

That is a much better angle than GTAIV. Definitely.
    I'm with you man. I fail to see the point of trophies at all.

And it's not that I don't understand because I haven't tried. I tried with Assasin's Creed 2. Most of them were fun but the last one was collect all the feathers. That would have involved boring grinding, and for what?

So yeah, I just ignore them now. Sleeping Dogs is great and I've got a few sets of Health Shrines but no way I'm going to try and collect them all. It'd be mind numbingly boring and it'd make the game too easy anyway.

The only positive I can see is that it may add some replayability.
    Sorry for the rant, and it's obviously just how I feel, I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or anything, I just don't get how it's fun.

I've platinumed 4 games. The Walking Dead (doesn't really count because you get it for just completing the game anyway), both Batman Arkham games and Assassin's Creed 2 (was one trophy away from the platinum for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood but it would have involved boosting online, so I just said f*ck it).

In the case of the games I platinumed, it was because I genuinely enjoyed playing them, and didn't even mind having to go around, collecting items etc. I had played AC2 a few times and noticed I only had a few simple trophies to get, so just used it as an excuse to play it again. Didn't even mind having to collect all the feathers, as it was a game I could easily spend hours running around on the rooftops anyway. Batman games, I was off sick from work for a while and pretty much bedridden, so getting those trophies helped pass the time (plus, it helped me really improve at the game because of the challenges taking me out of my comfort zone and having to do things differently than normal). It became more of a challenge and added that replayability.

Generally, I play games just for fun, and occasionally check the trophies list. If I'm not far off platinuming the game anyway, I'll check to see what's left to do and see if I can be bothered. I don't see getting platinums or loads of trophies as anything to be proud of externally (as in, "Check out all the trophies I got. I platinumed 4 games, how many have you platinumed?"), but I do take a bit of pride in them internally, knowing that I fully completed that game and was good enough to complete it.

Plus, some trophies can show you things you didn't know were in the game. Like if you check out the trophy list description of trophies you haven't gotten, and you realise something about the game you didn't know.

Edit: Multiplayer trophies can kiss my hairy asshole though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement