Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Jikashi wrote: »
    people including myself get enjoyment from games for collecting everything there is to collect, discovering every single secret, doing all there is to do until there's nothing left and playing the game under certain conditions for extra challenge, eg playing through Mega Man using only the buster, rescuing every last slave in Abe's Oddysee, or completing Metal Gear Solid without a single alert or kill.

Isn't what you're getting out of that a sense of satisfaction though rather than having fun doing it..? Or is it a kind of latent fun cause you know the satisfaction is coming? Either way, fair enough.
    Penn wrote: »
    In the case of the games I platinumed, it was because I genuinely enjoyed playing them, and didn't even mind having to go around, collecting items etc. I had played AC2 a few times and noticed I only had a few simple trophies to get, so just used it as an excuse to play it again. Didn't even mind having to collect all the feathers, as it was a game I could easily spend hours running around on the rooftops anyway. Batman games, I was off sick from work for a while and pretty much bedridden, so getting those trophies helped pass the time (plus, it helped me really improve at the game because of the challenges taking me out of my comfort zone and having to do things differently than normal). It became more of a challenge and added that replayability.

Generally, I play games just for fun, and occasionally check the trophies list. If I'm not far off platinuming the game anyway, I'll check to see what's left to do and see if I can be bothered. I don't see getting platinums or loads of trophies as anything to be proud of externally (as in, "Check out all the trophies I got. I platinumed 4 games, how many have you platinumed?"), but I do take a bit of pride in them internally, knowing that I fully completed that game and was good enough to complete it.

Plus, some trophies can show you things you didn't know were in the game. Like if you check out the trophy list description of trophies you haven't gotten, and you realise something about the game you didn't know.

Edit: Multiplayer trophies can kiss my hairy asshole though.

Nice. Interesting stuff, probably should have just started a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

I was thinking of going for the platinum in Sleeping Dogs aswell but the trophies I had left were to get all the security cameras, shires and chests. I find that kind of stuff really tedious. I was one trophy away form the platinum in Infamous. I think it was to collect all the blast shards, got about 30 of them and gave up, its a waste of time going after collectibles like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

sin0city wrote: »
    I'm with you man. I fail to see the point of trophies at all.
    Since when did gaming become about some sort of achievement gratification and not just about having fun with a game? Please enlighten me as to what the point of collecting trophies is, apart from developers wanting people to keep their game in the machine and have to get all the dlc and play the multiplayer to get all the trophies?

A ding and a trophy on your PSN account. What are people trying to do, be the best at videogames? For the most part, they're not even hard to get. Anyone can put in the hours and get them. If you want to do something challenging, just play Dark Souls.

And it's not that I don't understand because I haven't tried. I tried with Assasin's Creed 2. Most of them were fun but the last one was collect all the feathers. That would have involved boring grinding, and for what?

So yeah, I just ignore them now. Sleeping Dogs is great and I've got a few sets of Health Shrines but no way I'm going to try and collect them all. It'd be mind numbingly boring and it'd make the game too easy anyway.

The only positive I can see is that it may add some replayability.
    Sorry for the rant, and it's obviously just how I feel, I'm not trying to tell anyone they're wrong or anything, I just don't get how it's fun.

I agree with you. I don't actually mind doing the health shrines, winning the races, unlocking the lockboxes etc. To me that is all part of getting 100% completition and for this game I was happy to do that. Even killing someone with a fish! But it's stupid little things that I'm going to need to do to Platinum it. 30 sliding disarms, winning $1m gambling, I think there's one bit where you need to kill a huge number of policemen which would actually take me out of the game.

My gaming backlog is too big to devote an extra seven or eight game hours to getting a little e-trophy.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I agree with you. I don't actually mind doing the health shrines, winning the races, unlocking the lockboxes etc. To me that is all part of getting 100% completition and for this game I was happy to do that. Even killing someone with a fish! But it's stupid little things that I'm going to need to do to Platinum it. 30 sliding disarms, winning $1m gambling, I think there's one bit where you need to kill a huge number of policemen which would actually take me out of the game.
    My gaming backlog is too big to devote an extra seven or eight game hours to getting a little e-trophy.

That's the thing, too many other games to play now, especially with plus. And if you're into immersion trophies don't sit too well with it alright...although given the chance, I will be killing someone with a fish.

I do like completion to a point alright. I'll do all the races and drug busts for sure but for me there's a point where completion becomes a chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭wilser

PC world have a years ps+ sub for €38, think thats a good price :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Cienciano wrote: »
    The boob bounce in dead of alive is hilarious! As are the extra outfits you can buy. Playboy bunny and bikini!
    Here's a close up of the outfits, and remember, this is a fighting game.
    NSFW
    Yes, this is a fighting game!

:eek: - i'd totally do her!...hawt! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Isn't what you're getting out of that a sense of satisfaction though rather than having fun doing it..? Or is it a kind of latent fun cause you know the satisfaction is coming? Either way, fair enough.

Neither. I like to be challenged in games, so the fun comes from the challenge during, not only from the accomplishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jikashi wrote: »
    Neither. I like to be challenged in games, so the fun comes from the challenge during, not only from the accomplishment.

Agreed. The last trophies I needed in Batman Arkham City were for completing the challenges. And that was the challenge in itself. Damn challenges near killed me (definitely shortened the lifespan of my controller by shaking it in rage). Platinum was just the icing on the well-deserved cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Penn wrote: »
    Agreed. The last trophies I needed in Batman Arkham City were for completing the challenges. And that was the challenge in itself. Damn challenges near killed me (definitely shortened the lifespan of my controller by shaking it in rage). Platinum was just the icing on the well-deserved cake.

One of my prouder plats is Rayman Origins, because it was a challenging platformer to begin with, and was as a result a lot more fun than a much easier platformer like New Mario Bros. Difficult as it was, as you start to get better at speedruns, no death runs and finding all secrets along the way, in addition it being an already tricky game, gave it a much longer life that something more simple and more challenging experience.

Another sale on PSN with additional 10% discounts for Plus.

Thinking about picking up Dead Island GOTY and one of the Agarest games. Are they worth it at those prices and which Agarest game is best?

Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition (not available in Germany)
    Was €19.99/£15.99/AU$24.95, now €9.99/£7.99/AU$12.95
    Additional 10% discount for Plus members

I Am Alive
    Was €14.99/£11.99/AU$17.95, now €7.49/£5.99/AU$11.05

Agarest: Generations of War Zero (not available in Australia, Finland, New Zealand, Norway)
    Was €24.99/£19.99, now €8.99/£7.29

Agarest: Generations of War 2 (not available in New Zealand)
    Was €34.99/£18.99/AU$51.95, now €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45

Prince of Persia (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
    Was €14.99/£10.99/AU$17.95, now €7.49/£5.99/AU$11.05

Prince of Persia Trilogy (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
    Was €14.99/£11.99/AU$21.95, now €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
    Was €14.99/£11.99/AU$21.95, now €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45

Prince of Persia Classic (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Ukraine)
    Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)

Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Ukraine)

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Ukraine)

Prince of Persia Classic and Cell Factor Bundle (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
    Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €5.99/£4.79/AU$8.85

Far Cry 2
    Was €14.99/£10.99/AU$17.95, now €8.99/£7.29/AU$13.25

Far Cry 2 and Fortunes Pack Bundle
    Was €19.99/£15.99/AU$29.95, now €8.99/£7.29/AU$13.25

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Ukraine)
    Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €5.99/£4.79/AU$8.85

Machinarium
    Was €7.99/£6.49/AU$11.75, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
    Was €12.99/£9.99/AU$18.45, now €6.99/£5.49/AU$10.35

Tomb Raider: Underworld (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Israel, Kuwait, Qatar, Ukraine)
    Was €14.99/£21.95/AU$14.45, now €7.99/£6.49/AU$11.75

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (not available in Bulgaria, Hungary, Qatar)
    Was €19.99/£15.99/AU$24.95, now €9.99/£7.79/AU$14.45

Jurassic Park: The Game
    Was €29.99/£23.99/AU$43.95, now €14.99/£11.99/AU$21.95

Two Worlds II VELVET Game of the Year Edition + Defense DLC (not available in Denmark, Finland, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden)
    Was €34.99/£28.49/AU$51.95, now €14.99/£11.99/AU$21.95

Dante’s Inferno (only available in Austria, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Switzerland)
    Was €19.99, now €9.99

Dante’s Inferno Super Bundle (only available in Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland)
    Was €29.99, now €13.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

9 euro for Dead Island is f*cking brilliant! I beat it but would definitely play through it again!

Does anyone know if save files from physical copies of DI work with the digital copy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if save files from physical copies of DI work with the digital copy?

It's the same code so I can't see why it wouldn't.

Otacon wrote: »
    It's the same code so I can't see why it wouldn't.

Ah I know some games can be finnicky with save files between physical and digital.

I see there is no PS+ discount, still worth the tenner.

Maybe the store hasn't updated yet? It does say there is a further 10% discount for Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Hopefully this means Dead Island won't come to the IGC :)

tok9 wrote: »
    Hopefully this means Dead Island won't come to the IGC :)

I was really hoping it would but I'd say this will be as good as it gets.

Ah I can't complain anyway as plus has been excellent since I got it. It is forcing me to buy ME2 though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

PoP trilogy could be a purchase for me. Would like to replay them in HD.

And never even heard of that Cell Factor game until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Thinking about picking up Dead Island GOTY and one of the Agarest games. Are they worth it at those prices and which Agarest game is best?
    I found the first Agarest game really poor and I'm a fan of SRPGs. The combat is really dull. Once you get the hang of the combos it gets very repetitive with the same enemies in small, barren arenas over and over. Some of the in-game systems are quite good like the item creation, quests etc but they all require lots of grinding which means more of that insipid combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands is actually €7.49 and not €9.99, their post said it too and that's excluding the plus discount ;So €6.94.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

sheehy83 wrote: »

It should do, it would be strange if it didn't. I traded in sleeping dogs and then download it off plus, my save file worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Found my Arkham City save file from the disc worked perfectly with the downloaded game...

Jesus, the latter few A+ challenges in Wipeout are ridiculous I found. More cheap then challenging. Absolutely loved the game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

can anyone confirm if dead island physical save file works with the download GOTY version?

Just got it there. Says file size is about a GB?? At work so can't check it.
    Would have thought that was maybe the difference in size between the original and the GOTY. Anyone know the actual download size?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Would a UK PS+ code work on an Irish account or is it kept seperate?

game have an amazing deal for a years sub for £20

Am I Evil? wrote: »

As far as I know it won't.
    You'd have to set up an account with a UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

Ah well. I already have PS+ I was just looking extend it on an extra year while the price was cheap. Creating a new account wouldnt be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Am I Evil? wrote: »

This question gets asked almost every week. Can people not use the search. Am I evil, I apologise for any offence but these questions get old REAL fast.

/me runs to the Ranting And Raving forum....!!!!1111!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

RangeR wrote: »
    This question gets asked almost every week. Can people not use the search. Am I evil, I apologise for any offence but these questions get old REAL fast.

/me runs to the Ranting And Raving forum....!!!!1111!!!!

Yeah but will that work?:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement