Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus Discussion Thread - FAQ in first post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

The only problem I have with Okami is it feels too long overall. I remember there being at least one or two false endings... only to end up with another ten or more hours of gameplay ahead!

Other than that its a thoroughly enjoyable, engaging game. Get lost in its rich world of Japanese culture and mythology, and it probably offers the single most beautiful art design gaming has ever offered.

I had the opposite feeling! I spent 70+ hours playing it and was still sad when it was all over. The false ending was confusing though. I heard the game was very long before I started playing, but thought I had reached the end after only 10-20 hours. But then it just kept on going and going and going. :D

I'll be glad to get Hitman when it comes to PS+ as I was thinking of buying it quite recently. I joined PS+ for the first time last month and am very pleased to see it bearing fruit already!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Glad you're all enjoying Okami if it's your first time. I would like to play it again sometime once I get through some of my backlog.

was going back through my downloads list to see how many games I'd got from PS Plus so far(70 and not even a year into it. Think I've played 1 or 2. :)) and I see I have Assassin's creed 2 in the list. Looks to be the full game, but I never purchased it. The expiry date is 3/11/2013(a year from the supposed purchase date) instead of the other games which is 30/07/2014.
    Anyone else have this? Will try downloading tonight to see if it works.

I have Assassin's Creed 2 on my list as well but if I remember correctly this was due to what appeared to be a glitch on the store affecting both AC2 and AC:Brotherhood. I got AC2 in time but missing AC:Brotherhood. I know they've never put an Assassin's Creed up as a free title yet anyway, and I've been with Plus since Day 1 (100 + games so far but I can't remember which were purchased with + discounts and which were free, vast majority were free though)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

RedXIV wrote: »
    I have Assassin's Creed 2 on my list as well but if I remember correctly this was due to what appeared to be a glitch on the store affecting both AC2 and AC:Brotherhood. I got AC2 in time but missing AC:Brotherhood. I know they've never put an Assassin's Creed up as a free title yet anyway, and I've been with Plus since Day 1 (100 + games so far but I can't remember which were purchased with + discounts and which were free, vast majority were free though)

May have been a demo or trial or something. Will see tonight.

I think I got all the free games from when Plus started the Instant Game Collection. think I joined just before the first rotation of new games. It started around June last year I think, so come June this year, I wonder what games they'll use to replace the year long games such as Infamous 2, Motorstorm and Little Big Planet 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The expiry date is 3/11/2013(a year from the supposed purchase date)

The PS+ stuff expires??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

News to me - have not seen it expire yet - think as long as you have a valid PS+ you are OK - but have not seen any problems so far.
    Have to say am loving the free games over the last year esp now I picked up a vita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

All PS+ stuff has an inbuilt expiry date that corresponds to your current PS+ subscription. Currently, if you renew your PS+ subscription, there is nothing to tell all of your downloads this. The first they know is during their first run after expiry. They phone home, check if there is a valid license then run or fail. Obviously, this means that you need to be connected for this processes to work.

RangeR wrote: »
    All PS+ stuff has an inbuilt expiry date that corresponds to your current PS+ subscription. Currently, if you renew your PS+ subscription, there is nothing to tell all of your downloads this. The first they know is during their first run after expiry. They phone home, check if there is a valid license then run or fail. Obviously, this means that you need to be connected for this processes to work.

So its possible when PS+ isn't supported for PS3 in the future, then these games won't work as they won't be able to phone home for verification?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am not home to check it, but I think the games that I actually bought (say, PS plus discounts) don't have an expiry date. The relevant field is empty.
    The games I download from the instant games collection, I am pretty sure they have an expiry date, the date my subscription ends - and my understanding is that if I renew, they will still be there.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I am not home to check it, but I think the games that I actually bought don't have an expiry date. The relevant field is empty.

Yes, some PS+ titles do not have an expiry set. I don't know the pattern.

EnterNow wrote: »
    So its possible when PS+ isn't supported for PS3 in the future, then these games won't work as they won't be able to phone home for verification?

This is one of my concerns. The other being, what happens when the PSN stops supporting the PS3. That's the bigger question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

This is one of my concerns. The other being, what happens when the PSN stops supporting the PS3. That's the bigger question.

And one brought sharply into focus recently with the announcement that purchases for the PS3 wouldn't transfer to the PS4. This is the piece of info I'm very keen to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Delighted we're getting hitman, heard its very different from the old ones, I know some people didn't like it. I'm looking forward to giving it a go tho. I must give okami a go, downloaded it but still have to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Started 'The Cave' last night. Not too far into it. I'm not particularly sure what to make of it all.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Started 'The Cave' last night. Not too far into it. I'm not particularly sure what to make of it all.

If a game these days doesn't involve mostly brown tones, cover/crouch/fire & reload, & shooting people in the face then its already off to a good start imo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That_Guy wrote: »
    I finished it (well, 1 playthrough anyway). I liked it, but there was a lot of back tracking, or what felt like back tracking because you control three characters. It would've been nice if there was a rally button to get all three characters back together quickly.

It's an OK adventure, and not very long, so you may as well stick with it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,444 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Cave was disappointing, well from my single playthrough anyway. The mechanics are missing the polish that would have made it great. Something like an instant zoom would have made it at least, and I'm measuring scientifically here, 34.62% better. There's wit in the writing and ingenuity in the design - but there's often a frustration getting in the way of getting fully involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

Really enjoying Virtue's Last Reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

May have been a demo or trial or something. Will see tonight.

Can confirm, after a 7GB download, it's a 1 hour trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭sweetie

Can confirm, after a 7GB download, it's a 1 hour trial.

bummer - just to say it was only 480 pts the other day on the hungarian store if you have an xbox (spit :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

RedXIV wrote: »
    And one brought sharply into focus recently with the announcement that purchases for the PS3 wouldn't transfer to the PS4. This is the piece of info I'm very keen to understand

Reckon they'll just give everyone with a current PSN subscription 100 year licenses and ask you to redownload a new license for everything.

• Advertisement

Reckon they'll just give everyone with a current PSN subscription 100 year licenses and ask you to redownload a new license for everything.

Yeah possibly, though there's nothing officially to say that the free PS+ games are ours indefinitely afaik, so they could just pull the plug on the service too.

The eventual discontinuation of specific support for consoles over time puts me off buying much digitally. Generally if its available physically, thats the way I'll buy it. At least then I know I'll always be able to play it, even if the console breaks when the service is discontinued, it'll work on a replacement console...where it may not be possible to redownload to a replacement console

Yeah possibly, though there's nothing officially to say that the free PS+ games are ours indefinitely afaik, so they could just pull the plug on the service too.

The eventual discontinuation of specific support for consoles over time puts me off buying much digitally. Generally if its available physically, thats the way I'll buy it. At least then I know I'll always be able to play it, even if the console breaks when the service is discontinued, it'll work on a replacement console...where it may not be possible to redownload to a replacement console

Yes, I'm more concerned about when my console fails and I cannot access the PSN from the replacement PS3 [new or used console]. I've invested heavily in PSN digital games. I've put absolutely no money into PSN for the past few months due to these concerns that I never really thought about before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nintendo announced they're shutting down all online Wii servies/channel except the store in June.

Varik wrote: »
    Nintendo announced they're shutting down all online Wii servies/channel except the store in June.

Holy Mojito. Yeah, I just read that. Are these paid for services. Is there potential out of pocket loses to customers?

I don't own a Wii.

Edit : It should also be noted that only Services in Japan are effected so far. No word on world wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Holy Mojito. Yeah, I just read that. Are these paid for services. Is there potential out of pocket loses to customers?

I don't own a Wii.

The store's still there to redownload and buy games but other than that I don't know as I've never put my Wii online.

So the likes of Netflix etc on the Wii is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So the likes of Netflix etc on the Wii is it?

Here's what's being discontinued:
    • Nintendo Channel
    • News Channel
    • Forecast Channel
    • Everybody Votes Channel
    • Mii Contest Channel
    • Data exchange with Wii Friends*

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/400703/nintendo-discontinuing-various-wii-online-services/

So the shop is still going to be there, and it seems Netflix will as well.

It's happening in the UK (and I'm assuming here) on June 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

On the other hand if the physical media breaks then you don't have the option to re-download the game.

Hardly likely I know but...

Beefy78 wrote: »
    On the other hand if the physical media breaks then you don't have the option to re-download the game.

Hardly likely I know but...

Yes I do like the concept of purchases being tied to your account thats for sure...but thats useless if the service stops supporting your console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The May games for Playstation Plus are being announced today at noon. Obviously, Hitman is one of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement