Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for someone feeding cats

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, i have been asked by someone to feed their 2 cats twice a day while they are on holiday..for about 12 days.
    What is the normal price for 'cat feeding'? :confused:
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Are they not expecting you to do it as a favour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ninax

No..

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭hatetherain!

As far as I know Creedons in Cork offer this service so you could enquire with them as to how much they charge. http://www.creedonsdoggiedaycare.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I doubt they are expecting to pay you :confused: Would you not just do it as a favour?

they want to pay me but they asked me how much do i want.. no i wouldnt do it as a favour.. i have to walk 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening just to get there + back every day.. for 12 days...

• Advertisement

ninax wrote: »
    they want to pay me but they asked me how much do i want.. no i wouldnt do it as a favour.. i have to walk 30 mins in the morning and 30 mins in the evening just to get there + back every day.. for 12 days...

Oh well thats different I thought it would be a quick job. I dunno how much though suppose thats up to you. Maybe check how much they would have to pay a local kennel/cattery if they had to leave them somewhere for the 12 days.

i dont think there are any around.. i think e60 (5e a day) would be acceptable? :D

i dont think there are any around.. i think e60 (5e a day) would be acceptable? :D

Thats cheap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Poochie05

A cattery costs around €8-10 a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

Look at the benefits....your feeding hungry innocent cats and your 30 mins walk to and fro...your burning calories....

....you will be repaid in other ways...I wouldnt take the money.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I would charge €10-15 per day. If its taking you an hr of your time, each time you need to make it worth your while. Home care should always cost more than a cattery. You are saving them the hassle of finding a cattery, they get minded stress free in their own homes and will get more attention than being in a cattery. So, €120-€150 is what i charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think €60 is very reasonable. I'm guessing they're your friends, so I wouldn't charge loads, but you are going out of your way to do it, so €60 sounds good. Or you could ask them to bring you a souvenir from their holiday as payment and they might get you a nice present and might even give you money anyway.

I was looking after my friend's dog and birds while they were on holiday, I didn't mind but I had to get a bus there everyday and walk the dog and everything. I told them not to pay me but they bought me a nice present instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I pay someone the equivalent of 17 Euro per day to come and feed my six cats when I'm away. They come in once a day and it takes about an hour to do it.

For that money, I expect them to refill the dry food, put out some tins in a clean dish, take up the old dish and put it in the dishwasher, change the water, count the cats and make sure they're all there and alive and nobody's locked in anywhere and nobody's sickly. If I'm away for more than a couple of days, I also ask them to poo-pick the litter trays.

That's the thing about owning cats and going away - your cats will be far, FAR happier in your own home with someone calling around than they would be in a cattery, but whatever about asking people to feed your cats as a favour, I think asking them to clean up crap is a stretch.

Given I have six cats, 17 euro a day is very cheap for me because I'd have to pay something similar to 60 euro a day in a cattery.

A lot of the cleaning companies here where you can hire someone to clean your house will also do pet care if you're away - basically you take the normal hourly rate for cleaning, and organise to have them come over an hour each day and do your pets, and pay the same money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kildare_Seller

I pay someone the equivalent of 17 Euro per day to come and feed my six cats when I'm away. They come in once a day and it takes about an hour to do it.

when are you based? next time you go away give me a shout and if your local i'll do it...I love cats but cant have any cause my mam is allergic so I'd be in my element! :D haha

Heheheh I'm definitely not local.

Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Kildare_Seller

Heheheh I'm definitely not local.

Unless you're in the Southern Hemisphere. :D

no i'm really not!!! :( haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi, i have been asked by someone to feed their 2 cats twice a day while they are on holiday..for about 12 days.
    What is the normal price for 'cat feeding'? :confused:
    thanks!
    are they providing the food
    if yes
    you must be joking to ask for a wage, when you need a favour they will remember the last favour you did, you expected to be paid for, that is not a favour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

goat2 wrote: »
    if yes
    you must be joking to ask for a wage, when you need a favour they will remember the last favour you did, you expected to be paid for, that is not a favour

maybe if OP lived next door, but it's a distance away. If I were the owner I would expect to pay something. 60 euro sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

I give my housemate or next door neighbour 5e per day, to feed 2 cats once per day, and clean out the litter tray every 3 days. The housemate initially refused to accept payment, but I felt happier paying a small amount. When I lived alone, the next door neighbour's son took care of the cats when i was away. I asked what would be a fair amount to pay him, they said 5e, so that's where I got that figure from. Unlike the OP, though, the feeding would only take about 10 mins each day, plus another 15 ish to clean out the litter tray every 3 days.

Not trying to suggest what I give is a model amount, it might be a bit scabby in fact. But just to give you a wider view of 'going rates'.

goat2 wrote: »
    if yes you must be joking to ask for a wage, when you need a favour they will remember the last favour you did, you expected to be paid for, that is not a favour

I wouldn't dream of asking someone to mind my cats as a 'favour'. It's too much work. As for folks remembering your favour to them and being willing to return it - you must know a lot of really nice people. I far prefer to pay someone - then I have a right to be annoyed if they don't do it properly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement