Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Credit Card was Refused in Tesco

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

In Tesco Lastnight and at till and wanted to pay for groceries to value of 37 euro on my credit card. :eek:

Unfortunately the tender was refused by Ulster Bank but I don't know why!:confused:
    Here are the facts:
    I have 46 euro in my current account and another 450 on my credit card out of a max of 650. I always pay it off in full, this has just been a bad month for me financially and my current account is quite low. I get paid on tuesday 2400 so it will bring my current account back up.
    I ended up paying on my Bank Of Ireland ATM card.. I have a few hundred always on stand by in there.

Please tell me WHY my card was rejected as I was soooooo embarrassed and worry that I might have a strike against me! :(

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm assuming you got in touch with Ulster and got an answer and now you're asking us to guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭marc1

Call bank of Ulster straight away and ask for an explanation. Don't be afraid to tell them that you were embarrassed!

A card being declined will have no effect on your credit rating. It could have been declined for a number of reasons: You might be over your limit, there might have been suspicious activity on your card. (You might have bought something online from abroad?)

Ask them what the last charges on the CC were. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for all the transactions to show up. So you might have reached your limit already, but this is not displayed online.

If you are earning 2400 net on a monthly basis you can also ask them to increase your credit limit. In my opinion they should offer you around 1500 Euro (increasing it regularly over the next 12 month or so).

That said - they won't if you have any black marks in your credit rating or if you are a brand new customer. And you might not want a higher limit...

Advertisement