Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Leisure Facility

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

Sounds like this good be good for Celbridge. There is nothing really here,especially for young people.

http://www.maynooth.org/?p=5922
    Deputy Emmet Stagg and his colleague Cllr. Kevin Byrne have welcomed the grant of planning permission to Rossmore Properties for the use of an existing light industrial Unit for a Leisure and Recreational Facility at Moortown, Celbridge.

The Leisure and Recreational Facility will stated Deputy Stagg include the following (1) 10 Lane 10 Pin Bowling Alley (2) Indoor Soccer/Sports Pitch (3) 7 Metre Climbing Wall (4) Family Entertainment Areas including ; electric go-kart area, golf simulators, pool and air hockey tables and driving simulators.

Permission stated Deputy Stagg was granted for the change of use on June 8th and barring an appeal, which is not expected, the facility should be open within the next 3 months creating 60 welcome jobs in the area, most of which will be full time.

In addition to the creation of the jobs Deputy Stagg stated that we will now have recreational facilities for the people of North Kildare close at hand given the fact that the nearest such similar facility is in Blanchardstown at present.

In conclusion Deputy Stagg stated that he looked forward to the opening of the Leisure and Recreational Facility in 3 months time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Castletown

According to a report in this week's Liffey Champion , Rosmore Properties amended their Plans last September to exclude both the Pool and gym. What a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I didn't know they were part of the original plans. Just saw that report. A pool and gym would have been good. But at the same time what has been granted there looks like it could be decent enough. If it goes through of course. Something is better than nothing,and we really do't have much. The astro pitches and golf range which are a good bit away and the snooker hall. Other than that,nothing much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Is that behind Croudaun / and off the new link road ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What a shame about the pool, I think we badly need one and it would have been well used imo!

I don't agree that there is nothing to do in Celbridge.

For example Athletics, Tennis, Beavers, Cycling Club, Soccer, Rugby, Gaelic , Ballet , karate, Drama, ceoltori / Music Schools, Mill sports centre, Youth Cafe , Dancing Schools, Performing Arts Group and a new Boxing Club etc. You could be on the road every day if you so wished.

However having said all that we do need a pool.

• Advertisement

Castletown wrote: »

For example Athletics, Tennis, Beavers, Cycling Club, Soccer, Rugby, Gaelic , Ballet , karate, Drama, ceoltori / Music Schools, Mill sports centre, Youth Cafe , Dancing Schools, Performing Arts Group and a new Boxing Club etc. You could be on the road every day if you so wished.

Yes there are groups and clubs etc,I play for Ballyoulster myself and play in the astro in Cotters the odd time as well. But there is no facility to go to and do something on your own time. Like on a sunday evening the last few weeks myself and a few friends have gone for a game of bowling in blanch. The majority of the clubs and groups you mentioned are structured and have training,classes etc at specific times and some stop for the summer completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

According to a report in this week's Liffey Champion , Rosmore Properties amended their Plans last September to exclude both the Pool and gym. What a pity!

There already is planning permission (08/2040), for a gym and swimming pool at Crodaun, granted 2nd April 2009 to Longport Developments Ltd. The site is just past Crodaun Forest Park, with entrances on to the Maynooth Road. There was one appeal which was withdrawn. It is now a question of whether they will actually build it or not.

It was ridiculous granting permission for two gyms and swimming pools so close together. There is also a possibility that a cinema complex will be built in that area, but KCC are putting obstacles in the way by sticking to their precious warehousing zoning! Amazing! The town is crying out for a cinema and they dig their heels in over this kind of red tape!!

There never was any need to destroy Donaghcumper for these much welcomed developments. There is plenty of space in Celbridge for such amenities.

tvnuts , what you say is true. What kind of facilities do you think would be good? The astro pitches in leixlip and close to Ballyoulster are good. A skate park might be good as it can't be vadalised too easily, however that's not for everybody. What would you like ?

I do think the clubs are very important as they encourage people to have an interest and a lot of clubs have activities outside of class/ training times. You also meet people with similar interest .

I read that Collinstown in Leixlip hopes in time to have a cinema and theater. Collinstown is just off the Celbridge inter change. In the current climate I think we will have to wait some time for these things, and probably just dream on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭airmax87

Sorry but none of that appeals to 80 percent of teenagers in celbridge, bar the boxing club, So I spend my time standing outside the shops at celbridge house.

There is nothing wrong with hanging around with your friends. I wouldn't agree that none of the above appeals to 80% of teenagers. Try to book an astro pitch and you will find they are usually booked up well in advance. A lot of the local sports clubs also do very well. But if you just like hanging out, what would you like to see in Celbridge where you could do that. 80% of teenagers in Celbridge are not outside the shops, just those who choose to be there .I would say it is 10% outside the shops and others have an interest in other things, and meet up in each others houses. I am not saying that one is better than the other, it's just what you choose to do and what you find the most fun.

• Advertisement

I think what is being proposed here with the bowling lane is a good start, a cinema would obviously be good but I don't know if that is realistic. The clubs are essential but like I said they are all fixed times/days etc. And despite what that other poster said they appeal to a large amount of teenagers. Ballyoulster has great schoolboy teams with hundreds of teens playing.Same applised for the GAA and if you are not into sports there are other clubs and groups.

A skate park would be a good idea but I fear it would just become a hangout for the few scumbags you get around town.And as you said it coudl get vandalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lack of a swimming pool is crazy when you consider Clane has two.

What we need is a skatepark, aparantly i'm one of those 'scumbags' but I still skate, I get given out to for skating in the playground but where esle are we going to skate, the real scumbags wont go near the skatepark, beacause they are afriad of the older skaters.

airmax87 wrote: »
    What we need is a skatepark, aparantly i'm one of those 'scumbags' but I still skate, I get given out to for skating in the playground but where esle are we going to skate, the real scumbags wont go near the skatepark, beacause they are afriad of the older skaters.

Who said you were "one of those scumbags"? I said places like that can attract such people. These people may never have skated and have no interest in it but sadly these kinds of places attract people like this.

If you want a skate parks perhaps some of the unused new buildings up past the Salsians , could be converted. It is crazy to see these empty places with lots of space lying idol. Get on to your local councillor and see what can be done. Probably not a lot because of lack of funds.

But if you don't inquire nobody will do it for you. Can you skate in the Aldi Car Park??? If you got a group of your friends together that really want a skate park and are prepared to work to achieve one , who knows , just maybe you might suceed! At least you won't be bored while working on such a project.

I know it's mad but it seems to be that if you don't make things happen nobody else will care enough to do it for you. Crazy Country.

tvnutz wrote: »
    Who said you were "one of those scumbags"? I said places like that can attract such people. These people may never have skated and have no interest in it but sadly these kinds of places attract people like this.
    Nobody, but I happen to know that the oldest people that skate in celbridge wont let the scumbags into the playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Hey

A friend told me about this place over the weekend. Ive just moved back to maynooth recently and want to get back to a gym, so if this place actually has a gym + pool, it sounds like the exact kind of place I would be looking for. Definatly would love to give the climbing wall a go too!

Question I have though is when is this place opening? Does anyone have any more up to date info, in particular around fees.

Cheers in advance.

folan wrote: »
    Hey

A friend told me about this place over the weekend. Ive just moved back to maynooth recently and want to get back to a gym, so if this place actually has a gym + pool, it sounds like the exact kind of place I would be looking for. Definatly would love to give the climbing wall a go too!

Question I have though is when is this place opening? Does anyone have any more up to date info, in particular around fees.

Cheers in advance.

It won't have a gym and a pool I'm afraid. I think they were part of the original plans but they were then scaled down.

As I understand it , the pool is actually a Pool table, a swimming pool would have been great. My info is from the local papers. If I remember correctly the gym has also been taken out . A well you still have the climbing wall!!
    Ask Kevin Byrne or Catherine Murphy when it is going to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

any update on this cant find much online or in local papers about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

scheister wrote: »
    any update on this cant find much online or in local papers about it

The information available is that planning permission was granted 4/2/2010 for the following:
    ...a leisure and recreational facility (family entertainment centre) comprising of (a) 10 lane 10 pin bowling alley, (b) indoor soccer/sports pitch (c) 7 metre climbing wall, (d) family entertainment areas including; electric go kart area, golf simulators, pool and air hockey tables and driving simulators (e) café and Juice bar (f) ancillary staff facilities, toilets, shower facilities, management suite and all associated works on ground floor and new mezzanine floor together with 3 no. signs and all associated and ancillary site works including parking, boundary treatments and lighting.

There is no information available as to when it will be built, or whether they will go ahead with it. Let's hope they do. The planning permission lasts for 5 years, but according to the new Planning and Development (Amendments) Bill, they can apply for an extension of a further 5 years. So we could be waiting for another 10 years for it to be built.

Don't forget that there is planning permission for a development nearby which includes a gym and swimming pool, as I mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

folan wrote: »
    Hey

Cheers in advance.

Just saw this now, as said "friend", I second folan's enthusiasm for the opening of this centre. Looking to get back into climbing again after a long absence. Will also be looking to show folan the ropes too!

I used to climb in UCD off and on, but it's a fair trek from Celbridge. Any updates are very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

I have being directed here by an administrator, I am new in Leixlip, have my own car, and am looking for some things to do, as I do not know anyone yet I was hoping if possible to make some friends in the surrounding one thing I am the wrong side of 25 but am only looking for friends not lovers or partners I have one of those and am very happy. I just looking to go out more and find it very scary going there on my own. I love to laugh, and learn new things just to be happy and laugh once again. I do hope that I have put this request in the right area.:):confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

margarite wrote: »
    I have being directed here by an administrator, I am new in Leixlip, have my own car, and am looking for some things to do, as I do not know anyone yet I was hoping if possible to make some friends in the surrounding one thing I am the wrong side of 25 but am only looking for friends not lovers or partners I have one of those and am very happy. I just looking to go out more and find it very scary going there on my own. I love to laugh, and learn new things just to be happy and laugh once again. I do hope that I have put this request in the right area.:):confused:

Hey Margarite,
    I'm not sure that this is the right place for that. Why not start a new thread in the main Kildare page and give people an idea of the kind of things that might interest you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=936

A course?
    Sports?.....that kind of thing. You might get more responses there.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

Hey Margarite,
    I'm not sure that this is the right place for that. Why not start a new thread in the main Kildare page and give people an idea of the kind of things that might interest you http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=936

A course?
    Sports?.....that kind of thing. You might get more responses there.
    Thank you for the above information, it is very helpful and most appreciated.:)

Advertisement