Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone recommend a good baby book/manual?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I am looking for recommendations for a good baby book from birth. Basically one that gives what to expect development wise and advise on feeding sleeping etc etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

What to expect the first year it's from the same author of what to expect when your expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Princess Mom

Thanks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got Your Baby Week by Week and looove it.

I preferred it to other books because the chapters are short and to the point so in the early days it's easy just to look up the week you're on and get all the advice relevant. It goes through all the essential stuff. I found it a life saver.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Im going to go against the whole book thing.

With our first we bought every book we could find but you know what--Its crap-a money making racket.A book cant teach you how to raise your kids since every child is different and a book cant give "instructions" for each type of child.

Within weeks of trying all the "tricks" for getting them to sleep,eat etc the books were thrown in a drawer never to see light again.

Babies are all different--some want to sleep all night,some dont.Some will eat one type of foods and others wont.Some take to a routine from the start and some wont ever get in a routine no matter how hard you try.

Heres an example.Our 3 oldest are sleepers.They slept from the day they came home and still sleep as much as they can.
    Now our youngest--shes the exact opposite :D:D.Wont sleep past 6.00 am even if shes been up late the night before.She wakes the whole house at 6.00 am.She decides what she eats and nothing we can do will make her change.They could write a whole book on her alone.We call her the "duracell bunny" she has that much energy.

But OP guess what??
    Thats the whole thing about having kids.Its all about watching their individuality and their personality develop and no book can teach you how to raise your kids because you and only you will know their individual traits and know how to handle your own kids.

Do yourself a favour and buy a decent medical encyclopedia for kids--Thats going to be much more use to you in the future and can be a valuable resource when they get the usual aches and pains,coughs and colds that kids get.And a good one will also cover the various stages of development aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

Im first trime mom, well in 4-5 weeks hopefully :)
    I do belive in books how to correct your child behaviour but development wise it is hard to say because as hellrazer said kids are different they also develop differently on some levels. Book can be only a guide but I wouldn't go mad.

the same with pregnancy book, I read 1 they 2 and I trow them away. waste of my time, full of C***.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Thaedydal wrote: »
    What to expect the first year it's from the same author of what to expect when your expecting.

Have to agree with this suggestion. My wife got this book and it has been brilliant. It doesn't try to tell you how to parent or even try to tell you what your baby should be doing. At the end of the day it says 'This is normal and usual but if your baby is not doing this don't panic' and 'If your baby isn't doing this by now then maybe you should ask your doctor about it' :)

Great book, well worth a read, it certainly eased my mind and I know my wife feels the same :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The main reason we bought a book was because neither of us had a clue how to bath a baby or how many blankets to use etc. Stuff that you would have learned from others around you a generation back.

I've often picked it up for stuff like taking a temperature, unblocking a snotty nose etc.

Advertisement