Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crocodile in my local pet shop

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just sqaw thast my local pet shop have a croc for sale now. This seems crazy to me, who in their right mind would want one. This is the same shop that tried to sell me a rock python and said it would only get to 8 or 9 feet long. Who knows what they will tell the poor fool that will buy the croc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The kind of idiot who buys a crocodile deserves what they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »
    The kind of idiot who buys a crocodile deserves what they get.

You mean,.,,, the Ultimate Sanction:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

How long does a Rock Python get?! :confused:

I presume that the croc is for general sale rather than being kept for a specific order?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

00112984 wrote: »
    How long does a Rock Python get?! :confused:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_sebae
    They're a typically 5m long constrictor - about twice as long as the OP was told it would grow.

Attacks on humans (particularly adults) will always be rare because constrictors will tend to consume prey which doesn't pose a huge threat to them (they can't really move or defend themselves while they digest their prey), so an experienced snake handler would be well able to look after one of these.

But in the hands of some gombeen who fancies giving it a go, it could easily end in the death of an infant when they get careless.

The law in relation to keeping animals in this country is so out-dated it's scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

seamus wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Python_sebae
    They're a typically 5m long constrictor - about twice as long as the OP was told it would grow.

Attacks on humans (particularly adults) will always be rare because constrictors will tend to consume prey which doesn't pose a huge threat to them (they can't really move or defend themselves while they digest their prey), so an experienced snake handler would be well able to look after one of these.

But in the hands of some gombeen who fancies giving it a go, it could easily end in the death of an infant when they get careless.

The law in relation to keeping animals in this country is so out-dated it's scary.

Or in the hands of an amateur who relied on the pet shop for advice and bought equipment to house a 9 foot snake and then ended up with one p*ssed off and cramped reptile :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I just think it's mad having these reptiles for sale and even the people seling them have no idea. I keep a few snakes Boa's mostly, but rock pythons are a different ball game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

seriously? would have thought selling a crocodile would be illegal.

shows what I know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Xiney wrote: »
    seriously? would have thought selling a crocodile would be illegal.
    Perfectly legal but the cites paper work needs to be in order , once you know what your doing they are not too hard to handel when young but they will make a mess of your fingers if the get the chance , they are defeintly not for the inexperenced and when grown even the small breeds need more than one person present to handel them .Plus it takes a full room conversion to house an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

OMG that is crazy.
    How do you get the law changed on such ridiculous legislature that allows anyone to buy a croc.
    Do they simply think poor keeping will mean it dies before it reaches 2 feet? this seems to be the mentality of chain store pet shops, no animal knowledge, yet families flock to buy the latest addition to the menagerie. Decent pet shops don't stand a chance.
    I've been debating about getting an iguana for a long time but have decided to wait til both dd's are in school - anyhow, do keep looking around at diff breeds and talking to people to try and get a bit of knowledge - the net is great but sometimes it's nice to talk to real people :pand in local petworld looked at a monitor they said would grow 2-3 feet .... I could not identify the breed but doubt it would stay that small.
    I am happy and prepared to expect to house an animal that could get to 4 feet in length and large in size but I do not want to have to give it up when it becomes a 6 foot monster that I did not expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

I wonder how many "pet" crocodiles there are in Ireland? Scary to think about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

imbroglio wrote: »
    I wonder how many "pet" crocodiles there are in Ireland? Scary to think about!

Imagine a postman meeting a crocodile by the front door!!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Padjo1981 wrote: »
    Just sqaw thast my local pet shop have a croc for sale now. This seems crazy to me, who in their right mind would want one. This is the same shop that tried to sell me a rock python and said it would only get to 8 or 9 feet long. Who knows what they will tell the poor fool that will buy the croc.

I love this, you can buy crocadiles and venomous snakes here and you don't even need a licence! Maybe someone should let the Greens know about this, give them some thing that needs to be addressed instead of trying to get laws passed on gun dogs, Ward stag etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Theyre probably not real Crocs for sale.I`d assume that theyre probably Caymans which are Crocs smaller cousins and quite popular with Herp keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

you dont need anything to buy a tiger in this country (besides a tiger and the money to pay for it) afaik, but you need a licence for a dog. crazy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Theyre probably not real Crocs for sale.I`d assume that theyre probably Caymans which are Crocs smaller cousins and quite popular with Herp keepers.

yeh i agree with this ,usualy just a cousin of the croc , they are supposed to make great pets once looked after properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dave2323

a lot of people buy caimans when they're small and cute and only need a little tank, then they grow to 4-5ft and can easily take shreds out of you.
    They cost a fortune to look after with basking lights and heating their water.

You need a good set up.

Where is the shop located with the croc for sale?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dave2323 wrote: »
    a lot of people buy caimans when they're small and cute and only need a little tank, then they grow to 4-5ft and can easily take shreds out of you.
    They cost a fortune to look after with basking lights and heating their water.

You need a good set up.

Where is the shop located with the croc for sale?

Quite true Dave.I wouldnt recommend one as a pet to anyone but the most experienced keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭antocann

iv been doina bit of reading about these and although they do make fantastic pets THEY ARE NOT FOR THE INEXPERIENCED!

Have a read here if any one is interested in them :

http://repticzone.com/forums/Caimans/messages/332343.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14 liza22

I think 'pet' is the wrong word to use here - it insinuates a similiarity to other commonly kept 'pets' such as dogs, cats, even more commonly kept reptiles such as leopard geckos, bearded dragons, corn/king snakes etc.
    There are quite a few crocs being kept in the country at present. And no, there is no requirement for licensing, as opposed to the UK and Northern Ireland, where the DWA licensing laws apply to potentially dangerous animals.
    However, general laws regarding the proper care, health and welfare of animals etc do apply.
    The most commonly kept croc in captivity is the spectacled caiman, which is most likely what this pet shop has in stock. I'm aware of one particular shop which has a spec caiman at the mo, and has had afrocs in past. Would appreciate it if you could pm name/location of shop!
    These dwarf crocs attain lengths of 5-6 ft, are known for their aggression and are extremely dangerous when mature.
    They are certainly not pets.
    But I do understand the fascination with keeping them. Your reward comes from caring for and being able to watch up close the daily habits of a beautiful and amazing animal - not from interaction like you would have with a dog. Or even with a snake.
    I don't like the idea of people becoming alarmed at the notion of what is being kept in the country. I know croc keepers who are passionate about their animals, and spend every spare euro ensuring they are well looked after. They are sensible, cautious, have respect for their animals and what they are capable of, and maintain best practise in everything regarding the animals' care.
    Of course, there are a few cowboys out there - and this is what gives the reptile hobby in general a bad name.
    some people are capable of looking after a croc - most aren't. And the chances of someone who knowledgable in this department going to their local petshop to buy a croc are pretty negligable. The same situation applies with large snakes. Anyone who is clued up enough to care for an african rock python, reticulated python etc, is not going to drop into a petshop and pay over the odds.
    I have a big problem with these shops picking animals from a stocklist and selling them and providing advice to clueless customers, when they really don't have a clue themselves.

Advertisement