Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sufix xl strong? anyone used it?

Options
  • 16-06-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

looking for some feedback on sufix xl strong for fly fishing?
    Just bought some 4.8l.b .16mm sufix xl strong, used to using drennan, rio and berkley. never heard of this stuff is it worth a go?
    its quite cheap...if its good stuff it would be handy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

sircian wrote: »
    looking for some feedback on sufix xl strong for fly fishing?
    Just bought some 4.8l.b .16mm sufix xl strong, used to using drennan, rio and berkley. never heard of this stuff is it worth a go?
    its quite cheap...if its good stuff it would be handy

I have used it in 14.5lb very recently for salmon fishing and I find it a very good line, not sure what the 4.8lb is like because I have not yet used it. 0.16 is a fine diameter line and a lot of them tend to be weak in the knots. But the 14.5lb appears to have a low memory and has very good knot strength. I like the 14.5lb stuff a lot and was thinking of trying a lighter one for trout fishing next year, so I would be interested to see how you get on with it....I hate drennan I think it is muck and I would not use it, rio powerflex is very good for dry fly-fishing, hard to beat really, only used the berkley once or twice, not a huge fan of it to be honest....this year for trout fishing I have been using rio powerflex for the dry’s and for sub-surface work riverge fluorocarbon, which is an excellent fluorocarbon. As fluorocarbon goes (being gnarly and ill-mannered in nature!) it is as good a one as you will get....try the sufix and let us know what you think of the sufix....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jalbury

I have used this recently in New Zealand. It was recommended by a tackle shop owner in Twizel. It is a very supple line and provides excellent presentation and knot strength seems very good, so I will be switching to this line in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

I recently used the 9.7lb 0.23mm version of it. I was very impressed, strong in the knots and doesnt kink like crazy. Spent the whole day lough fishing with it and my droppers were in as good a condition when i finished as when I started.

Thanks Keppier for the feedback. I shall try the lighter weights to see how they fish and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

good line. great for dry fly as it floats. great strength for diameter. only drawback is it is easily damaged. kinks will break, knots will break unless very well lubricated prior to tightening. i broke in two different fish on sheelin in the same night using the 9.7lb line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

One thing to make sure you do is wet the knots before you pull them tight.
    A lot of old timers never do this and then wonder why the line breaks so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

Prefer the Stroft myself.

I have been using Sufix XL Strong 6.1 lb this year and haven't had any problems with it so far. Providing that knots are well lubricated, as they always should be, according to a tackle dealer in Livingston, Montana, then break-offs should not occur. A friend showed me some Stroft on Saturday and this looks even thinner and perhaps a little stiffer? Not sure of the price, but I will give it a try.

Advertisement