Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Shilling Mixing Day

Options
  • 16-06-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭

I recently did a Pro-Tools mixing day with George Shilling in his Bank Cottage Recording Studio in the beautiful Cotswolds in England.

www.GeorgeShilling.com

You may know him as the guy who does magazine equipment reviews.

The structure of the day was actually going through mixing a track starting from Importing Audio onwards.

Unlike a 'real' session one could 'interrupt' at any time with questions and the students took the day on any tangent they were interested in.

George is a very personable, experienced engineer and a fine musician.

I'm thinking of organising a Mixing Day with him over here.

It would have to be a paid day to pay costs and leave a bit of cream over and would be priced depending on numbers attending.

Would the Brothers be interested ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I recently did a Pro-Tools mixing day with George Shilling in his Bank Cottage Recording Studio in the beautiful Cotswolds in England.

www.GeorgeShilling.com

The structure of the day was actually going through mixing a track starting from Importing Audio onwards.

Unlike a 'real' session one could 'interrupt' at any time with questions and the students took the day on any tangent they were interested in.

It would have to be a paid day to pay costs and leave a bit of cream over and would be priced depending on numbers attending.

Great idea .... was thinking of going to a workshop there but if he was coming over that would be brill.

Will it be in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Could be very interested, depending on the price like. My pockets don't run deep...

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Would be very interested in this. Do you have a location in mind & do you think the cost would be more or less than say €100?

www.jjvernon.com

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

+ 1 depending on when and how much... Sounds like a great idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

alan kelly wrote: »
    + 1 depending on when and how much... Sounds like a great idea..
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

We're thinking around the Euro 120 (inc Lunch) mark and keep the numbers down so everyone can get the max out of it.

We'd do a second day if there was demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Hi Paul,

I would like to attend please if you would put me down as a definite I would appreciate it. Great idea +1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

yep, I'd be likely on for this if all the planets came into alignment (time, date, location, cost) and if it were broad enough to be of real benefit to non pro tools users.
    Good idea Paul, that's why we keep you on, take the rest of the day off :)

old gregg wrote: »
    yep, I'd be likely on for this if all the planets came into alignment (time, date, location, cost) and if it were broad enough to be of real benefit to non pro tools users.
    Good idea Paul, that's why we keep you on, take the rest of the day off :)

I think it is going to be Pro-Tools Specific, there's a lot to squeeze in to 8 hours.

Having done George's one I think it's value is the 'in tricks' some of which you may or may not know.

So it's aimed at someone who knows the broad strokes, but wants to learn some of the 'fine tuning' stuff, much of which we've talked about here, such as phase, track slipping, bus compression etc.
    The practical stuff that make you go 'aah right' ....

Depending on how this goes I might do a more 'general' one.

Is it ok if I take tomorrow off too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

www.GeorgeShilling.com

Paul, count me in. This is a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I think it is going to be Pro-Tools Specific, there's a lot to squeeze in to 8 hours.

Is it ok if I take tomorrow off too ?

that's all perfect Paul and yes, take tomorrow off too and drop by the refreshment stall and pick up a little something to slake that Fri afternoon thirst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

+1 for me too... would he run HD or LE?... would be useful to see any practical workarounds he might have for dealing with lack of ADC.

Still be worth it for me even on HD though.... I consider myself to be someone who just about squeezes into the "knows the broad brush strokes" category, so no doubt I'll learn lots anyway.

Timing-wise, is it likely to be weekday or w/e?... w/e is pref for me, but appreciate that may not suit some

... and if he's looking for a "guinea pig" session that would present plenty of, er "mixing challenges"... we have plenty of those :D

It will be on HD system ZV.

It will probably be a Saturday in early August.

Er ..... no !

He'll bring some of his own stuff.

The goal isn't to get into that sort of area but more general planning 'tips' that help workflow and session management - things you might use every day, not something specific to a particular track.

I think that George has the ideal personality for teaching and he's worked in most of the big studios in the UK and with many Top Producers.
    (he even Tape-Oped for The Smiths !)

It's a very straight forward practical day that I learned a lot from.

It will be on HD system ZV.

It will probably be a Saturday in early August.

Ah, yeah - got that... was just being cheeky about the sessions...

If he's worked with the mightly Mozza/Marr/Rourke/Joyce, then maybe some of their magic might also rub of on us mere mortals. Worth the admission price for that alone!

Coolaboola so... I might be away for one w/e in Aug... hopefully they won't clash... sounds like this would be a worthwhile day

Yes - Since I got my HD2 rig I've spent quite a while learning and as I say the Broad Strokes I know well enough.

This was very much a Head Tidying Up Day that was both useful and fun !

Any more takers ?

I think we'd need a few more in order for it to make sense ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i'd definitly be up for it (depending on date/location)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Robin Ball

I'd be up for this 100%, If I can help Paul let me know!!

• Advertisement

A decision will be made this week ....

There may just be enough interest for one here in Dublin and one down in Joe's Nutshed Studio or Peter's Middlewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Would be interested paul from the production point of view but i dont use pro tools so it might not be any help..

alan kelly wrote: »
    Would be interested paul from the production point of view but i dont use pro tools so it might not be any help..

protools is just a medium. its the concepts that this day is about (i presume?)

protools is just a medium. its the concepts that this day is about (i presume?)

No - George's day is very Pro-tools specific.

Friday Aug 6th or Saturday Aug 7th are the 2 possible dates suggested .

so is it a "mixing day" or a "how to mix in protools day"?

if its the former i cant see how the medium has anything to do with it. everything easily translates over to other DAWs. i'd be interested in this type of day.

if its the latter then i'll pass on it.

so is it a "mixing day" or a "how to mix in protools day"?

if its the former i cant see how the medium has anything to do with it. everything easily translates over to other DAWs. i'd be interested in this type of day.

if its the latter then i'll pass on it.

Read the OP

still doesnt clarify. you say its a protools mixing day but i can do the same mix in protools, cubase or reaper with only mior changes in workflow.

will he be talking about mixing concepts or specifically mixing in protools (ie. how the engine, aux busses etc work).

you'll need to be a little clearer on what the day is to get my money paul :)

still doesnt clarify. you say its a protools mixing day but i can do the same mix in protools, cubase or reaper with only mior changes in workflow.

will he be talking about mixing concepts or specifically mixing in protools (ie. how the engine, aux busses etc work).

you'll need to be a little clearer on what the day is to get my money paul :)

If you can't work out what it is it's too advanced for you.

• Advertisement

If you can't work out what it is it's too advanced for you.

nice attitude to attract customers paul. you're description is mildly vague at best and 2 or 3 sentances detailing exactly what the day is about would hardly kill you considering you are asking people for money.

just on your attitude alone ill give it and future business with you a miss thanks very much and ill be sure to pass your sentiments on to anyone else asking me about it.

Advertisement