Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry - Bleach

• 16-06-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Bleach as an experiment has just got to appear this year. If that and ethanoic acid came up id be flyin it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

i reckon water, thats what has been tipped, all titration procedures and calculations are similar though so either way its goood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

My teacher reckons he'l put a small Q on bleach somewhere on the paper (not 1,2 or 3) this year so that'l stop all the speculations about when its gonna come up, and then he'l put it as an experiment Q in the next few years to spring it on people when their not expecting it! :D She thinks this year water, volatile liquid, ethanal or benzoic acid will come up. She thinks redox reactions has a chance too. Well just about everything in the book she says ''has an outside chance'', you'd be going over a few things and she'd keep saying 'well this has an outside chance'. :D

She seems to be fairly in this guy's head and isin't usually too far wrong. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

dee o gee wrote: »
    My teacher reckons he'l put a small Q on bleach somewhere on the paper (not 1,2 or 3) this year so that'l stop all the speculations about when its gonna come up, and then he'l put it as an experiment Q in the next few years to spring it on people when their not expecting it! :DShe thinks this year water, volatile liquid, ethanal or benzoic acid will come up. She thinks redox reactions has a chance too. Well just about everything in the book she says ''has an outside chance'', you'd be going over a few things and she'd keep saying 'well this has an outside chance'. :D

She seems to be fairly in this guy's head and isin't usually too far wrong. :)

She or he? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Burswood wrote: »
    She or he? :p

Obviously the poster is referring to the examiner as he and the teacher as she. Not that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

Obviously the poster is referring to the examiner as he and the teacher as she. Not that complicated.

Sorry your highness. Didn't mean to offend you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You should be. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Why are people relying on predictions for the chemistry experiments. They take about 5 mins to learn off and theres only 14 or so that you need to know that will cover you for the whole exam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭EvilLlamaThingy

I think learn Bleach will come up too, but learn EDTA as well.
    And learn Ethanal and soap as well as ethanoic acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

zoom! wrote: »
    Why are people relying on predictions for the chemistry experiments. They take about 5 mins to learn off and theres only 14 or so that you need to know that will cover you for the whole exam

:eek: 5 minutes!! :eek:
    Please share your methods! I can't keep all those different chemical names and equations in my head even if I try and spend an hour learning one!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

ugh, I hate chemistry so much! I'm so not looking forward to the exam tomorrow! :(
    and yeah, bleach better come up, it's about the only thing I've studied so far.

:eek: 5 minutes!! :eek:
    Please share your methods! I can't keep all those different chemical names and equations in my head even if I try and spend an hour learning one!!! :(

It's just a matter of learning the indicators and chemicals. If you do enough sample questions they stick in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

It's just a matter of learning the indicators and chemicals. If you do enough sample questions they stick in your head.

Ugh I wish they stuck in my head that easy! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

Indicators are easy to learn, I just can't remember all the chemical names :P Not that bad though.

Come on people, stop calling out predictions, you'll jinx it like Eavan Boland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭FyeaG

Was up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

H2student wrote: »
    Come on people, stop calling out predictions, you'll jinx it like Eavan Boland.

haha, no one will ever let this one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

All the titrations are the same...

haha, no one will ever let this one go.
    Not until they let me into those University gates :P.

Okay everyone, I think I'm gonna get an A1 if the paper only asks me on stuff I know! Perfect strategy :cool:

Seriously, it is even harder to study for Chemistry after a 3 hour Physics paper. I did not think it was possible after a 4 day weekend of doing pretty much nothing. The thought of running around the streets because Chemistry, my last exam, is finally finished doesn't help either.

23:50 hrs left....

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Chemistry will be fine providing its a nice paper, Im just terrified they'll put something horrible on it!

What do ye think is the story with mechanisms? To come up or not to come up?

aine92 wrote: »
    Chemistry will be fine providing its a nice paper, Im just terrified they'll put something horrible on it!

What do ye think is the story with mechanisms? To come up or not to come up?

Study them anyway. They're easy enough and alot of marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Study them anyway. They're easy enough and alot of marks.

My god, they are so not easy! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

What are peoples thoughts on the redox reactions of the halogens coming up in a similar style to last year's question on the flame tests in sec A? Hate the little b*****ds!!

Eh.... Stupid I know but.... what mechanisms are we talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mark.oc

Substitution and addition, i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Like ionic addition/halogenation (uv light) i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

yeah i think i may as well just hang myself now, not a hope on this exam XD every other subject i worked my ass off for but chemistry can shove it XD
    but yeah im screwed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

lc2010 wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on the redox reactions of the halogens coming up in a similar style to last year's question on the flame tests in sec A? Hate the little b*****ds!!

Considering the fact we did that chapter in the last week of school (zero concentration :rolleyes:) and I'm pretty sure we didn't even do that experiment - I BLOODY WELL HOPE NOT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Mazda wrote: »
    I BLOODY WELL HOPE NOT!!!

+10
    I wouldn't say anyone in my class knows them either!!

No one in my class knows it either. If it comes up, hope marking scheme will give it like 3 marks after 90% of people get 0 marks in it :P

@Mechanisms, Ah I'm skipping general organic :P Doesn't concern me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭FordieMUFC

No one in my class knows it either. If it comes up, hope marking scheme will give it like 3 marks after 90% of people get 0 marks in it :P

@Mechanisms, Ah I'm skipping general organic :P Doesn't concern me.
    I would love to do this but haven't study chemistry enough to be able to do question 4, 10 and 11. :( and I just know Q.3 will be an experiment I can't do :D:D:D

Advertisement