Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Huawei E585 (MiFi) with OLED screen.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 will be stocking this end of July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

cool device alot better than the mifi device that 3 currently have the oled screen is a nice added bonus :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

I went into my local Three store recently and they said they haven't got it and tried to sell me an actual wireless router.

Does anyone have any idea when they're being released here ? Or of anywhere I can get one unlocked online ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

tooooo much information :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I went into my local Three store recently and they said they haven't got it and tried to sell me an actual wireless router.

Does anyone have any idea when they're being released here ? Or of anywhere I can get one unlocked online ?

Carphone Warehouse (Dublin) sold one to me yesterday for 99 Euro.

Lovely lovely web interface. You really need to secure it first of all, as there's information 'before' the password on the web screen.

One button, long press for on and connect (all automatic). During use, quick press for OLED screen on. Long press off. That's all. Totally different experience from the 5830 that I was using.

DC-Unlocker is a bit wobbly, I got an error during the unlock, but I'm using a Meteor SIM with no issues.

You do not need to install a 'PC interface' at all. It is all web based now. The drivers are just that, drivers for USB connectivity, that's all. The clunky Huawei software is gone.

Meteor users using an unlocked E585 can top up by SMS through the web interface, great for Linux users like myself. Just send your voucher number through the SMS screen. The sent and received SMS messages are all contained on the unit itself. The OLED screen also tells you if any unread SMS messages are sitting unread in your inbox.

I tested various service numbers for Bandwidth remaining on Meteor etc.. everything worked normally.

MicroSD can be shared across users using the dongle. Wireless or through USB.

One person can have a repository (Admin) that is open to the other dongle users, but with read-only rights, as the MicroSD folders are visible 'before' the security password, on the public side of the web interface.

Any combination of the above too, all users read\write, all read only wireless, or restricted access through the USB cable only.

There isn't a default profile any more. The unit arrived with the APN set to automatic, which I was delighted with.

The E585 doesn't automatically launch a web browser and load up the three home page any more, again, great move.

I used a repeater\extended USB cable with my E5830, it always charged during use from a single USB port.

I say the above because the new E585 specifically states that it now charges while in use, with the supplied cables. Great if that was an issue with other E5830 users.

---

Gripes, I have no idea why Mini USB was replaced with Micro USB, any way you look at it, it is more fragile, difficult too if you're messing around to stick it against a window.

---

I'll flesh out this post with pictures and edits later today.

---

Is it worth it? Totally. This is what the earlier units should have been.

My costs: 99 Euro
    DC-Unlocker: 15 Euro

(I'm not encouraging someone to unlock their device, I am just stating my user position)

I am a long time user of 3 networks, depending on my location.

• Advertisement

I just popped into Three again and this time I got someone who knew their arse from their elbow. They should be in stock next week so I'll definitely be picking up the new E585 as I really need to be able to charge and use it at the same time.

Thanks for your time typing that out, was very helpful !

USB adaptor isn't attached to a cable any more, which gives you a chance to add a 5m cable if you wish. Which I do, nice little touch. Instead of the usual 500 milliamp usb charger, the Huawei outputs 1 amp.

huaweicharger.jpg

You get a long USB cable, just over 1.25 meter, and a short cable of about 10cm.

---

One annoyance is the limited character set the 5830 *and* the E585 will accept for WPA/WPA2 keys. Odd situation, it isn't that it'll take just Alpha Numeric, but rather, will not accept very specific characters in the extended character set.

For instance. Grab a generated key from grc.com (Gibson Research Corporation)

Let's go with this:

63 random printable ASCII characters:
    yX\jk+c=M8b7f'Nz[KK3rI7)3qX/`IF}DG4O|8+u44dXSN:O%}ixPAN*-c)(4xK

Try and enter that into the security settings..

huaweilimitede585ascii.gif

It'll accept some of the extended character set, but not all of it. Odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭akadesign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'll definitely be picking up the new E585 as I really need to be able to charge and use it at the same time.

You can charge and use the 5830 at the same time too.

If you haven't bought one yet, you're probably better off with the newer one, since it has some different features, and better interface, and some status on the display, but it won't make any real difference after you configure it for use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mactaff

jor el wrote: »
    You can charge and use the 5830 at the same time too.

If you haven't bought one yet, you're probably better off with the newer one, since it has some different features, and better interface, and some status on the display, but it won't make any real difference after you configure it for use.

Does anyone know if the Mugen Power extended battery that's made for the E5830 will fit the E585?

• Advertisement

mactaff, both use the exact same battery and rear chassis.

The Huawei HB4F1.

I've used the battery of my E8530 in my E585.

Can you link to the product page for your battery? Curious.
    jor el: ..but it won't make any real difference after you configure it for use.

The E585 is quick to reconnect automatically on a dropped link. A totally hands off event that just takes a few seconds. The E5830 on the other hand, can be a fiddly and moody thing to reconnect, with that annoying button sequence.

There's no software to install which is a big thing for me. Doesn't matter what OS, as long as you're able to connect over wifi and open a browser window.

Had a Google..

http://www.mugen-power-batteries.com/mugen-power-extended-battery-for-huawei-e5830-pocket-wi-fi-with-battey-cover-in-white-3900mah.html

Neat looking thing.

Just to say, I said same rear case, the inner chassis, the battery tray is identical, bear in mind the edges on the E585 has fewer holes than the E5830, one button and one MicroSD slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mactaff

Thanks, amalgam, that's the one. You'll see it comes with a replacement rear case to allow for a deeper battery. I just wonder if one of the three holes in the E8530 version wd line up with the single button on the 585 or will I have to wait for Mugen to produce a single hole version.

Picked one up from the Carphone Warehouse today, really impressed with how easy it was to get online. Just sat into the van, turned it on, put in password on phone and I was online straight away. God be good to the days of 56k internet !

One question for you who have already made the purchase - On the My3 section of the 3 site, before I add a bundle it asks me to select a device but there is no MiFi device there, let alone the E585. Will any BB dongle do ?

Yes it will. I currently have a Huawei E169 selected.

Only some plans change your choices, smart phones and one or two other devices they have listed.

If you're using the Huawei E585 in a van or car, or on a window at home, this eBay seller has an amazing selection of suckers for sale.

http://stores.ebay.ie/No-1-Suction-Cups

Any of the 30mm (3cm) or 40mm (4cm) double sided suckers work fine with the E585.

I use one 40mm (4cm) sucker on a house window, I have constructed a cradle for when there's a USB lead attached. I bring two suckers with me when I'm out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 stephenc_ie

I picked one of these up today, and it's fantastic - got online straight away and decent speeds through it with no hassle.

Been on it most of the day, might need to top up sooner than I thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭juansheet

Was in a 3 store the other day and was going to buy their 3 mifi device but d guy dere told me to wait a week or so for the new mifi device to come out

He didnt no the name of it!:mad:

Anyone have any idea which one he was referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

juansheet wrote: »
    Was in a 3 store the other day and was going to buy their 3 mifi device but d guy dere told me to wait a week or so for the new mifi device to come out

He didnt no the name of it!:mad:

Anyone have any idea which one he was referring to?

was about to order but now a bit puzzled

anybody??

etcetc wrote: »
    was about to order but now a bit puzzled

anybody??

Called in again today. The Huawei E585 WONT be in 3 stores for at least another 2 weeks:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

What's the problem, do the 3Stores not sell another two types of mifi routers already, why would you have to wait two weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

juansheet wrote: »
    Called in again today. The Huawei E585 WONT be in 3 stores for at least another 2 weeks:mad:

Strange, its certainly on display in the 3 stores I have passed. Must remember to go and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

They have the E585 in stock on their website, got one a few weeks back on it.

kevinmcc wrote: »
    They have the E585 in stock on their website, got one a few weeks back on it.

Not sure so:confused:...maybe its an upgrade of this that is comin out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

When I went to the 3Store in Letterkenny a few weeks back they only had the older version in stock, and it was 99 euro..whereas the new E585 was 89 euro on the 3 website..chancers! I still think they're only selling the older E5830 there

Does it use a micro sim or can you just transfer the sim from your dongle into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

kevinmcc wrote: »
    When I went to the 3Store in Letterkenny a few weeks back they only had the older version in stock, and it was 99 euro..whereas the new E585 was 89 euro on the 3 website..chancers!

There's normally a discount of about €10 for buying online. It also looks like the price of the old Mifi and new Mifi will be the same.

jor el wrote: »
    There's normally a discount of about €10 for buying online. It also looks like the price of the old Mifi and new Mifi will be the same.

Bought the e585 for 59 euro online yesterday and will get my next bill free.

Ok but thought id get a better deal for being a customer for over 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭AlanD

Look's like the E585 is only €69 on Three.ie now....not a bad deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

cheapest i seen online to unlock this little thing

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270641879322&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Hi Folks
    Any websites/places where I could unlock E585 on 3 network?
    Thanks
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Hi Folks
    Any websites/places where I could unlock E585 on 3 network?
    Thanks
    J

Some people don't look very far :D

Try a few threads down here

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Hello,

Sorry but you seem to have done what I'm having difficulty with. I have a 3 Huawei E585. I believe I unlocked it using Zibri.org software I downloaded (Cost15euro "donation", I wouldn't advise using it, very poor instructions) but I can't seem to get the new meteor pay as you go sim card/broadband working. With the meteor sim in the device still calls up the three software. It asks for the PIN which it accepts the 4 digit one then asks for the Simlock code a 608 digit one which I think is the PUK code but it doesn't accept this. I've typed in the meteor APN www.broadband.mymeteor.ie but it basically directs you through the same process that doesn't work. I just don't want to have to buy another Huawei from Meteor when I already have a perfectly good one.
    Can you or anyone please offer some help?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ralc

Would a
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse (Dublin) sold one to me yesterday for 99 Euro.

Lovely lovely web interface. You really need to secure it first of all, as there's information 'before' the password on the web screen.

One button, long press for on and connect (all automatic). During use, quick press for OLED screen on. Long press off. That's all. Totally different experience from the 5830 that I was using.

DC-Unlocker is a bit wobbly, I got an error during the unlock, but I'm using a Meteor SIM with no issues.

You do not need to install a 'PC interface' at all. It is all web based now. The drivers are just that, drivers for USB connectivity, that's all. The clunky Huawei software is gone.

Meteor users using an unlocked E585 can top up by SMS through the web interface, great for Linux users like myself. Just send your voucher number through the SMS screen. The sent and received SMS messages are all contained on the unit itself. The OLED screen also tells you if any unread SMS messages are sitting unread in your inbox.

I tested various service numbers for Bandwidth remaining on Meteor etc.. everything worked normally.

MicroSD can be shared across users using the dongle. Wireless or through USB.

One person can have a repository (Admin) that is open to the other dongle users, but with read-only rights, as the MicroSD folders are visible 'before' the security password, on the public side of the web interface.

Any combination of the above too, all users read\write, all read only wireless, or restricted access through the USB cable only.

There isn't a default profile any more. The unit arrived with the APN set to automatic, which I was delighted with.

The E585 doesn't automatically launch a web browser and load up the three home page any more, again, great move.

I used a repeater\extended USB cable with my E5830, it always charged during use from a single USB port.

I say the above because the new E585 specifically states that it now charges while in use, with the supplied cables. Great if that was an issue with other E5830 users.

---

Gripes, I have no idea why Mini USB was replaced with Micro USB, any way you look at it, it is more fragile, difficult too if you're messing around to stick it against a window.

---

I'll flesh out this post with pictures and edits later today.

---

Is it worth it? Totally. This is what the earlier units should have been.

My costs: 99 Euro
    DC-Unlocker: 15 Euro

(I'm not encouraging someone to unlock their device, I am just stating my user position)

I am a long time user of 3 networks, depending on my location.

There are issues with the Zibri unlock, some users aren't happy with the service provided.

---

Are you sure the device is unlocked?

---

You may need to set up a new profile on the E585.

Browse to: http://192.168.1.1/

Login in to your E585's advanced menu by scrolling down to Change your settings.

User name: Admin
    Password: [put in your password] [supplied default password\or the one you've set up]

Click on: Log in

Click on: Advanced Settings

Click on: Connection Settings

Click on: Profile Settings

Click on: New

Fill in the profile like the following:

Profile name: Meteor

Click on the selection button to change the APN to Static

Use the following for your APN:

APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie

At this point, your profile set up screen should look something like this.

newprofilesetup.gif

Click on: Save

Browse your mouse pointer to the left.

Click on: (to the right) Connection Settings

Select your newly created profile from the drop down menu.

Select: Connection: Auto

(no need to change the other settings)

Click Apply.

Log out and\or reboot your device.

See how you get on with the above.

Just to say, this is now available on eBay from various Hong Kong sellers, for about €70, unbranded and with newer firmware than which Three are using.

Unbranded meaning: Huawei logo on outer case and Huawei logo on the oled boot screen and the UI menus.

Unlocked obviously.

I've never seen the E585 with the Huawei logo before, worth a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Amalgam wrote: »
    There are issues with the Zibri unlock, some users aren't happy with the service provided.

---

Are you sure the device is unlocked?

---

You may need to set up a new profile on the E585.

Browse to: http://192.168.1.1/

Login in to your E585's advanced menu by scrolling down to Change your settings.

User name: Admin
    Password: [put in your password] [supplied default password\or the one you've set up]

Click on: Log in

Click on: Profile Settings

Click on: New

Fill in the profile like the following:

Profile name: Meteor

Click on the selection button to change the APN to Static

Use the following for your APN:

APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie

At this point, your profile set up screen should look something like this.

newprofilesetup.gif

Click on: Save

Browse your mouse pointer to the left.

Click on: (to the right) Connection Settings

Select your newly created profile from the drop down menu.

Select: Connection: Auto

(no need to change the other settings)

Click Apply.

Log out and\or reboot your device.

See how you get on with the above.
    Hi Amalgam,

Just to say thanks a million for the easy to follow solution above, it worked a treat.

That Zibri.org solution is terrible in my opinion. The only proper instruction he gives is the instructions to pay him his 15euros so called "donation"

Cheers,

Ralc

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

My power button on the E585 appears to not work so can't power it on. It charges fine, and is detected on PC, but can't get it to initialise! When charging the power button goes green but even then pressing it, no matter for how long, does nothing. Anyone know of any other ways to get this to power up?

Advertisement