Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei E585 (MiFi) with OLED screen.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Hi Folks
    Any websites/places where I could unlock E585 on 3 network?
    Thanks
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Hi Folks
    Any websites/places where I could unlock E585 on 3 network?
    Thanks
    J

Some people don't look very far :D

Try a few threads down here

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Hello,

Sorry but you seem to have done what I'm having difficulty with. I have a 3 Huawei E585. I believe I unlocked it using Zibri.org software I downloaded (Cost15euro "donation", I wouldn't advise using it, very poor instructions) but I can't seem to get the new meteor pay as you go sim card/broadband working. With the meteor sim in the device still calls up the three software. It asks for the PIN which it accepts the 4 digit one then asks for the Simlock code a 608 digit one which I think is the PUK code but it doesn't accept this. I've typed in the meteor APN www.broadband.mymeteor.ie but it basically directs you through the same process that doesn't work. I just don't want to have to buy another Huawei from Meteor when I already have a perfectly good one.
    Can you or anyone please offer some help?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ralc

Would a
    Amalgam wrote: »
    Carphone Warehouse (Dublin) sold one to me yesterday for 99 Euro.

Lovely lovely web interface. You really need to secure it first of all, as there's information 'before' the password on the web screen.

One button, long press for on and connect (all automatic). During use, quick press for OLED screen on. Long press off. That's all. Totally different experience from the 5830 that I was using.

DC-Unlocker is a bit wobbly, I got an error during the unlock, but I'm using a Meteor SIM with no issues.

You do not need to install a 'PC interface' at all. It is all web based now. The drivers are just that, drivers for USB connectivity, that's all. The clunky Huawei software is gone.

Meteor users using an unlocked E585 can top up by SMS through the web interface, great for Linux users like myself. Just send your voucher number through the SMS screen. The sent and received SMS messages are all contained on the unit itself. The OLED screen also tells you if any unread SMS messages are sitting unread in your inbox.

I tested various service numbers for Bandwidth remaining on Meteor etc.. everything worked normally.

MicroSD can be shared across users using the dongle. Wireless or through USB.

One person can have a repository (Admin) that is open to the other dongle users, but with read-only rights, as the MicroSD folders are visible 'before' the security password, on the public side of the web interface.

Any combination of the above too, all users read\write, all read only wireless, or restricted access through the USB cable only.

There isn't a default profile any more. The unit arrived with the APN set to automatic, which I was delighted with.

The E585 doesn't automatically launch a web browser and load up the three home page any more, again, great move.

I used a repeater\extended USB cable with my E5830, it always charged during use from a single USB port.

I say the above because the new E585 specifically states that it now charges while in use, with the supplied cables. Great if that was an issue with other E5830 users.

---

Gripes, I have no idea why Mini USB was replaced with Micro USB, any way you look at it, it is more fragile, difficult too if you're messing around to stick it against a window.

---

I'll flesh out this post with pictures and edits later today.

---

Is it worth it? Totally. This is what the earlier units should have been.

My costs: 99 Euro
    DC-Unlocker: 15 Euro

(I'm not encouraging someone to unlock their device, I am just stating my user position)

I am a long time user of 3 networks, depending on my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There are issues with the Zibri unlock, some users aren't happy with the service provided.

---

Are you sure the device is unlocked?

---

You may need to set up a new profile on the E585.

Browse to: http://192.168.1.1/

Login in to your E585's advanced menu by scrolling down to Change your settings.

User name: Admin
    Password: [put in your password] [supplied default password\or the one you've set up]

Click on: Log in

Click on: Advanced Settings

Click on: Connection Settings

Click on: Profile Settings

Click on: New

Fill in the profile like the following:

Profile name: Meteor

Click on the selection button to change the APN to Static

Use the following for your APN:

APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie

At this point, your profile set up screen should look something like this.

newprofilesetup.gif

Click on: Save

Browse your mouse pointer to the left.

Click on: (to the right) Connection Settings

Select your newly created profile from the drop down menu.

Select: Connection: Auto

(no need to change the other settings)

Click Apply.

Log out and\or reboot your device.

See how you get on with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, this is now available on eBay from various Hong Kong sellers, for about €70, unbranded and with newer firmware than which Three are using.

Unbranded meaning: Huawei logo on outer case and Huawei logo on the oled boot screen and the UI menus.

Unlocked obviously.

I've never seen the E585 with the Huawei logo before, worth a mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Amalgam wrote: »
    There are issues with the Zibri unlock, some users aren't happy with the service provided.

---

Are you sure the device is unlocked?

---

You may need to set up a new profile on the E585.

Browse to: http://192.168.1.1/

Login in to your E585's advanced menu by scrolling down to Change your settings.

User name: Admin
    Password: [put in your password] [supplied default password\or the one you've set up]

Click on: Log in

Click on: Profile Settings

Click on: New

Fill in the profile like the following:

Profile name: Meteor

Click on the selection button to change the APN to Static

Use the following for your APN:

APN: broadband.mymeteor.ie

At this point, your profile set up screen should look something like this.

newprofilesetup.gif

Click on: Save

Browse your mouse pointer to the left.

Click on: (to the right) Connection Settings

Select your newly created profile from the drop down menu.

Select: Connection: Auto

(no need to change the other settings)

Click Apply.

Log out and\or reboot your device.

See how you get on with the above.
    Hi Amalgam,

Just to say thanks a million for the easy to follow solution above, it worked a treat.

That Zibri.org solution is terrible in my opinion. The only proper instruction he gives is the instructions to pay him his 15euros so called "donation"

Cheers,

Ralc

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

My power button on the E585 appears to not work so can't power it on. It charges fine, and is detected on PC, but can't get it to initialise! When charging the power button goes green but even then pressing it, no matter for how long, does nothing. Anyone know of any other ways to get this to power up?

Advertisement