Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.C. Art 2010

• 16-06-2010 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

I'm studing
    European : mainly Renaissance .
    Michelangelo - pieta , david . last judgement
    Leonardo da vinci - Mona lisa , last supper
    raphael -sistine madona ,transfiguration,school of athens
    Botticelli - birth of venus , primavera
    Massacio - tribute money , the holy trinity
    Piero della f - baptism and flagellation of christ
    donatello - mary , george , david

might add up van gogh .. if have time but i didnt study any of his paintings..i knw ab him somethin anyway.

Irish H: Bronze and newgrange .

Appreceation : gallery and something else .. not sure what .. yet ..

Shoud i feel safe ?
    if not tell us why not ?
    @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

Well thats a lot more then I've done! But I'm winging it a bit.
    Hopefully you'll okay for just the gallery question...I'll cry if its not there.
    And newgrange is also hotly tipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Looks like you are set for any eventualities that European art might throw at you! I'm doing Romanesque and Gothic for European, Newgrange, Bronze and Iron Age for Irish and the gallery question for Appreciation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Areq

i forgot to mention that its for higher .. what if i leave out , piero della and massasio ? its late and i still have to write up my gallery esay ... xd :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

dude you are sorted , only maybe one more in irish art , but tbh you will be rewarded for all this :) best of luck!

i hope so . im sure that i got D1 without history anyway . :cool: just wanned to show how proud im xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Wow you done a lot O_O

Do you think it's safe for the European section if I just did Pre Raphaelite Brotherhood (hoping depicing water will come up...), Donatello, and a bit on Giotto?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A193

Im doing all I can, as in all I was thought!

Stone Age, Iron and Bronze. High Crosses & Manuscripts. Romanesque and Gothic Architecture and Sculpture and Giotto :S

Enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mescaline

Irish - Newgrange.. Georgian period (William chambers,james gandon..) Jack B yeats.

European - Monet + Degas.. Romanesque Architecture (Autun)..

Have essay on Giotto and one on Donetello, Waste of time learning them in the morning ?

Appreciation - Gallery (winging Imma) or hopefully product design comes up..

Think il be alright?

Anyone can tell me the three things on primavera and b of venus ;
    who comimisioned the paintings
    and why to botticelli .
    and how was they used , i.e. for wedding gift or somethin like that :P i can not find this thing on web somehow . :p

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Wow everyone is doing a lot... I feel so bad lol

What should I study in the European section?

• Advertisement

for me the h.renaissance is simple and interesting , but what have you covered in class anyway?:confused:

anyway , anyone have any idea how may marks can you losse for not giving the dates to painting and artists ? i have problem with them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Areq wrote: »
    anyway , anyone have any idea how may marks can you losse for not giving the dates to painting and artists ? i have problem with them :eek:

Very very little, in fact if you really know your stuff besides that I'd go so far as to say none. The big mark loser is in questions where they tag in and something,

that something can be worth up to half the question, people have a tendency to see it as a footnote and only write a paragraph or two.

Along with drawings (lets say 'Less Stress More Success' sized) how many pages should they be? 4/5?

And should we put a box around the drawings?

Anyone can tell me the three things on primavera and b of venus ;
    who comimisioned the paintings
    and why to botticelli .
    and how was they used , i.e. for wedding gift or somethin like that :P i can not find this thing on web somehow . :p

That stuff is mostly just filler, not necessarily needed for a good essay at all. Focus on describing the painting and all that shizz instead.

A193 wrote: »
    Along with drawings (lets say 'Less Stress More Success' sized) how many pages should they be? 4/5?

And should we put a box around the drawings?

Yep fourish sounds about right!

And no work your drawings into the essay, definitely no boxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

What are the chances of Francis Bacon coming up, ladies and gents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 curlypops

What are the chances of Francis Bacon coming up, ladies and gents?

well you could use him in the gallery question..
    i dont know if a question would come up just on him..

yeah don't forget the box around sketches . ;)
    and i will be writing around 3-4 pages with maybe 1 and 1/2 of drawings .. write as much as you knw in 30 mins . btw its like 5 min to read the question properly .. 10 for drawings and 30 for writing .. that 's the proper way to devide your time .. its 45 min . and you have 150 min total . so the 15 is for pee xd nah ..

:pac: @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @

its at the beginning to read the entire paper .. :cool:

Emmpty wrote: »
    Yep fourish sounds about right!

And no work your drawings into the essay, definitely no boxes!

man you have to have the feckin boxes . :cool: they take away some points for lack of them .

• Advertisement

Emmpty wrote: »
    That stuff is mostly just filler, not necessarily needed for a good essay at all. Focus on describing the painting and all that shizz instead.
    what you mean its not necessary , .. so would you be able to write 2or more pages just descripting the chars ,background and all ? if so tell me what would you write about for soo long ? :confused:

what you mean its not necessary , .. so would you be able to write 2or more pages just descripting the chars ,background and all ? if so tell me what would you write about for soo long ? :confused:

That stuff is not just filler, giving context to a painting shows your understanding of its motives and also its place in history, i would also be inclined to include an influence at the beginning of your essay, and who the artist/artwork went on to influence, e.g. in an essay on Giotto I would first mention Cimabue and in closing mention his influence on Renaissance painters.

I will google your queries but tbh your just as well to do it yourself

On Birth of Venus:
    In the past many scholars thought that this large picture may have been, like the Primavera, painted for Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de' Medici's Villa di Castello, around 1482, or even before. This was because Vasari, in his 1550 edition of the Lives of the Artists wrote: "...today, still at Castello, in the villa of the Duke Cosimo, there are two paintings, one the birth of Venus and those breezes and winds that bring her to land with the loves, and likewise another Venus, whom the Graces adorn with flowers, denoting the Springtime." But the Birth of Venus, unlike the Primavera, is not found in Medici inventories of the late-fifteenth and early-sixteenth centuries, which has led some recent scholars to rethink the patronage, and hence the meaning, of the painting... A Neoplatonic reading of Botticelli's Birth of Venus suggests that fifteenth-century viewers would have looked at the painting and felt their minds lifted to the realm of divine love.
    More recently, questions have arisen about Neoplatonism as the dominant intellectual system of late fifteenth-century Florence, and scholars have indicated that there might be other ways to interpret Botticelli's mythological paintings. In particular, both Primavera and Birth of Venus have been seen as wedding paintings that suggest appropriate behaviors for brides and grooms.

Basically you just asked to be handed hell on a plate there, take what interpretation you will, personally I'd go for the older, more chance your examiner has heard of it.

Alot of the questions I'm looking at in the papers ask for the 'form' of something, what is that??

A193 wrote: »
    Alot of the questions I'm looking at in the papers ask for the 'form' of something, what is that??

ehem:
    form:
    a. Method of arrangement or manner of coordinating elements in literary or musical composition or in organized discourse: presented my ideas in outline form; a treatise in the form of a dialogue.
    b. A particular type or example of such arrangement: The essay is a literary form.
    c. The design, structure, or pattern of a work of art: symphonic form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 EveBann

man you have to have the feckin boxes . :cool: they take away some points for lack of them .
    No they dont!

EveBann wrote: »
    No they dont!

Seconding that, some notes etc recommend them for presentation but I'd prefer to spend those few extra seconds actually improving the drawing, surely thats better presentation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭Blerdiii

Seconding that, some notes etc recommend them for presentation but I'd prefer to spend those few extra seconds actually improving the drawing, surely thats better presentation?
    hey its all about making the examiner feel happy about your lovely neat exam, if its well presented may help a little bit! id spend the 5s drawing a line rather than the extra nose shading on a picture...

Yeah you just go into detail about it all, describe techniques, influences, similarities with other artists styles at the time and how they moved on from them.
    I've never bothered learning who commissioned things and why unless I'm told that its specifically important, like if the pope commissioned it or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

Can't believe Newgrange decided to pull an Eavan Boland on it. haha FML

Advertisement